Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Joe88 Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
J
http://query-origin.andohs.net/8000A6/co...radio080303.mp3

Very good listen. Chris Mortenson absolutely trashes Cowherd. Cowherd has always trashed the Browns regulary and Mort schools him bigtime.

Last edited by Joe88; 03/06/08 01:16 AM.
C
2nd String
2nd String
C
the link doesn't work for me

J
Joe88 Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
J
Quote:

the link doesn't work for me

Try now.

1st String
1st String
great stuff! it's great to hear someone actually praising the Browns for once

A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A
I am subscribed to the radio podcast but I missed this. This was awesome, I remember listening to the colin thrash the browns, nice to hear some positive reviews.

"I only had a couple of weeks to train, but I'm glad it happened because it gave me a chance to be a Browns player," Bell said.
B
1st String
1st String
B
You guys are so fickle. When the reporters were trashing the Browns 4 years ago (and by "trashing", I mean "writing the truth"), everyone was screaming and moaning about how reporters were full of crap and didn't know what they were talking about.

No one wanted to believe a word they printed. They were ridiculed as being "biased", "full of themselves", "morons", "anti-Cleveland", etc.

Now that reporters are giving us praise, no one has any trouble believing it and no one is willing to admit (or remember) that not to long ago we ripped them up.

The important thing to remember in gaining perspective is not to listen to those who say you can't do something -- NOR those who say you can.

**Insert clever signature here attributed to some historical figure that sounds interesting but has been taken completely out of context.
1st String
1st String
Quote:

You guys are so fickle. When the reporters were trashing the Browns 4 years ago (and by "trashing", I mean "writing the truth"), everyone was screaming and moaning about how reporters were full of crap and didn't know what they were talking about.

No one wanted to believe a word they printed. They were ridiculed as being "biased", "full of themselves", "morons", "anti-Cleveland", etc.

Now that reporters are giving us praise, no one has any trouble believing it and no one is willing to admit (or remember) that not to long ago we ripped them up.

The important thing to remember in gaining perspective is not to listen to those who say you can't do something -- NOR those who say you can.

i'll admit i ripped them apartin the past and i'll probably do it again. i'll also admit that i think our team has been a disgrace, in the past, but if you think making moves signing our Pro Bowl QB, signing a legit #2 receiver, and bolstering our weakest area on defense is not improvement, you are blind

we were 10-6, after these improvements we should be considered a threat to the AFC

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I've been saying the same thing.

As long as the media thinks the Browns are going to the SuperBowl, everyone here agrees and loves them!

But, if the media were to turn and say the Browns are bad (which have been up to last year) they do not know what they are talking about and are terrible...

Perhaps the media has had the story right the entire time, but now is when you actually agree with what they are saying...

[Linked Image from i45.tinypic.com]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
The words about DA are eye opening...

He pretty much echoes how we think about everything else though.

I can only imagine how much our D is gonna improve and how our O will do with Stallworth...Anderson is the wildcard on O.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

That's because they've finally gotten it right.

#gmstrong
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

I've been saying the same thing.

As long as the media thinks the Browns are going to the SuperBowl, everyone here agrees and loves them!

But, if the media were to turn and say the Browns are bad (which have been up to last year) they do not know what they are talking about and are terrible...

Perhaps the media has had the story right the entire time, but now is when you actually agree with what they are saying...

While totally accurate, that's no different than with the other 31 cities with NFL fans. With that in mind, to expect fans to be anything other than what we see here is to expect the impossible. The line between possible and reality is always blurred in the eyes of the fans.

Now, Cowhurd is entertaining as a toned-down version of a shock-jock, but like this new breed of radio voice along with the likes of Stephen A. Smith (punk ****h) his job is to rile people up...........and he's doing his job. FURTHERMORE, if anyone bothers to listen to how this segment starts out, it's DESIGNED to have Mort get into a pissin' match with Cowhurd.

I'm also going to say that I have ZERO use for "Mort" as a reporter. He, like Fat Lenny P, loves to show that THEY "broke the story" when that's hardly ever the truth.

To put this in the most realistic terms, which is where I LIVE on these boards and in real life, Cowhurd is working from the negative side of the discussion, and Mort is working from the positive side of the discussion. Why? Because THIS is what sells newspapers and drums up interest. Truth be told, ALL of our moves are risky, Anderson is BOTH good and bad, and BOTH of these guys have legs to stand on in their arguements.

Cowhurd: "Anderson went downhill at the end of the season"
Mort: "Anderson has great upside and is a great talent"

Cowhurd: "They lost a very good CB in Bodden"
Mort: "No, Bodden was not a good corner.....people around the league say he didn't play well last year"

Cowhurd: "You like Shaun Rogers who's overweight and has real issues....Cmon!"
Mort: "He's 28 years old and with that coaching staff can have his buttons pushed and Crennel is the guy to do it. Pro-bowler in the last two years and a dominating player in the NFC."

Mort: "Quinn is making backup money and can be ready to go if Anderson fails like you said Colin"
Cowhurd: "For the record, Quinn was never effective against any top-tiered college teams."

Cowhurd: "Lewis was a drug dealer so you have to question his character"
Mort: "These are not evil people and the league is not full of Angels. That was four years ago"

YADA YADA YADA. Don't get caught up in the nearly scripted program.

All we REALLY need to know as fans is that the majority of the return feedback is positive for our moves. Everything else is meaningless. Don't fall for the negative or positive spins.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You are so right.

Change names on those quotes and everyone would hate Mort and love Cowhurd.

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I Have a feeling some Ex-coach is very jealuos some team didnt come crawling begging him to take over as many in the media predicted.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
It's like that Around the Horn show. Every one of those talking heads is fully prepared to take EITHER side of the issue and argue w/ the other talking heads.

Browns suck. Media bashes them.

Browns don't suck. Media praises them.

Simple as that people.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
LOL! It was almost eaiser when everyone hated us. But now that we've had SOME success, there are those who are jumping onboard while the getting is good. All in the name of "I-told-you-so" reporting. And then, of course, there are those who are still taking the wait-and-see approach. Mort's on board, Cowherd is still skeptical. This is what happens when a team transitions from very bad to very good in a short period of time. Some people are blown away and start chugging the kool-aid like there's no tomorrow and then others are still very hard to convince that there's anything to really get excited about.

I think both of these guys have flawed arguments. For everything Mort said that I agreed with, there was something I didn't. Same with Cowherd. I wouldn't say that Mort schooled him by any means. They both took opposite stances and it's probably safe to say that the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

Mort said that the Browns can be put into the same conversation with the Pats, the Colts, and the Chargers (let's not forget about our bitter rivals and Jacksonville either) and Cowherd wasn't ready to go there. Honestly, either am I. I HOPE toward the end of the fall, we are in the conversation, but it's only March. (For the record, Cowherd never said how he thinks we'll finish, but he wasn't ready to annoit us yet. Understandable.)

The bottom line is that until we prove that we can consistently WIN games against good opponents, there will always be doubters. We are not there yet people. But we can be very, very soon.

N
All Pro
All Pro
N
I heard the interview and it shouldn't surprise people at all.

Cowheard "mainly" questioned two pionts.

One: The signing of Anderson to a big money contract.

You can't tell me THAT ONE hasn't been debated on this board .

Two: The signing of Rogers.

Rogers has a history and a bad reputation. That can't be denied. But......he has also made a couple of pro-bowls and been DOMINATE at times. The question is which Rogers do we get and if it's the good one.......can we keep him walking that line?

Savage is taking a risk with this signing, I hope like hell it works out in our favor.

One thing NOT mentioned is that Colin LIKED the signing of Williams. That was one piont that both he and Mort agreed on.

Look guys, we ARE taking a chance on Rogers. If it works out, we could be a dominate team on D. If it doesn't..........well, we can't be any worse can we?

As for Anderson, even Mort brought up the 3yr. contract. If it doesn't work, we can bring everyones golden boy and hopefully be OK.

I actually thought that both of them had some good pionts. It's a crap shoot, let's hope the dice roll in our favor.

Last edited by ncdawg; 03/06/08 11:03 AM.

Born and breed with OSU, App. State alumni, but bleed orange and brown.

Go ARMY......Beat Navy!!!!!!
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

Mort said: "DA scares the crap out of teams"

D
1st String
1st String
D
The one thing that impressed me the most about Mortensen is his knowledge of the Browns. The way he spit (not you Cowher) out facts and players, you would have thought he was from Cleveland.
It did burn my butt a little when Cowher laughed at Mortensen when he said we'd be contenders with NE SD Indy.
Guess what, chin...WE ARE.
Thanx for the link.... good listen

O
2nd String
2nd String
O
Quote:

Look guys, we ARE taking a chance on Williams. If it works out, we could be a dominate team on D. If it doesn't..........well, we can't be any worse can we?

I think you mean we are taking a chance on Rogers.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

The one thing that impressed me the most about Mortensen is his knowledge of the Browns. The way he spit (not you Cowher) out facts and players, you would have thought he was from Cleveland.
It did burn my butt a little when Cowher laughed at Mortensen when he said we'd be contenders with NE SD Indy.
Guess what, chin...WE ARE.
Thanx for the link.... good listen

Um, Bill Cowher didn't argue with Mort...

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
LOL!! Yeah, it was Colin Cowherd who has a radio show on ESPN Radio, not "The chin"! Did you hear him spitting into the mic or a muffled bump when his chin would get in the way? No, neither did I.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
If Norv was impressed with DA, that's almost enough for me.

Man this gets me amped up!!!!

It's cohurd's job to argue here and he does bring up some good points and comes off as a Pittspuke fan.

I thought it was funny how he mentioned Roth when in his first season he tailed off in the playoffs.

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
N
All Pro
All Pro
N
Yup, your right.......Thanks, I fixed it.

Born and breed with OSU, App. State alumni, but bleed orange and brown.

Go ARMY......Beat Navy!!!!!!
Legend
Legend
Talking heads people,,, I mean it's nice to hear good and positive stuff from the "talking heads" but still,,, they are talking heads,, Take it with a grain of salt,,,,,, JMO however..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Its nice to see another ESPN guy give the Browns some love. Someone had to after they fired Salisbury.

The Browns are now in the class as the Steelers, if not the favorites to win the AFC North. But to put them in the class of Indy, New England, and San diego is a little too early to say. Those teams can lose a Pro Bowler (Harrison, Merriman, Seymore) and still win. Lets see if the Browns can win consistantley without Thomas, Winslow or Edwards. It was nice to hear though coming from a person who talks, to other players and management, and uses them as sources.

I like what Mort said about Lewis. Hes not a bad guy. He made a phone call for a friend. Bad move, he did his time. He has shown me, from watching him on the sidelines attending games, on TV and in interviews, that he is a team player and a humble person. Watching him breaking all kinds of tackles in December doesnt hurt either.

Also, Mort was right on by saying if Anderson is average, they still have Brady Quinn.

It suprised me to hear that he called the Browns secondary "Good if not great" without Bodden????????????????????? They have a guy cut by the Bears and 2 second year CBs. One good SS in Sean Jones, and maybe and so far, an above average at best FS in Pool.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
They also hype the Browns at the very end of the clip.

Legend
Legend
Great ... love from the media is usually the kiss of death.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
HAHA - I thought the same thing.

Makes you think about the media saying, "The Patriots will most likely go undefeated through the Super Bowl."

Whoops!

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Cowturd is just doing his job... We he did sells radio and attracts listeners. I like and dispise him... I really like how Herd rials the whole state of Ohio football fans... Except for the Browns crap...But I listen every day on the way to work and when I'm out in the field...

Same with Mort... and he had our back for all the right reasons yesterday. IMO.

I've noticed over the past several years here that we are quite the disfunctional group... Bi-polar in many ways... When the Browns suck it's us against the world... No love... and when we have had success, it's oh great they like us now we're in trouble... doom and gloom... We need to accept the good and bad and deal with it... It's just life and Browns football.

Legend
Legend
I really hate listening to Cowherd ... he's nothing more than a shock jock dressed up in sports radio. He just goes to whatever extremes he can to rial up a fan base because any attention is good attention.

He's not even that fun to listen to. He'll set aside 5 minutes to talk about a certain subject, but only have 1 minutes worth of material ... so he'll just repeat the same stuff over and over and over again. I used to listen to him but it became unbearable after awhile. Finally I gave up and switched to another sports talk station that had nothing but Laker homers on it ... it was easier to listen to.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

signing a legit #2 receiver,

What's great about that, is the fact that he's a legit #2, but he's basically going to be our #3.... Winslow is basically our #2. We got 3 big play threats in Edwards, Winslow, and Stallworth. We got a sure handed 3rd down receiver in JJ. And we got a "receiver", and I use that term loosely lol, who can take it to the house anytime he is on the field in Cribbs.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just Clickin,
For one thing, Cowherd does not know what he is talking about and Mort schooled him. The problem is that most commentators REALLY do not know much about the sport nor the teams they talk about. When Mort questioned him on who Cowherd was talking too in football, Cowherd could not answer. Even Mort said that if we can get Rogers to play, we will have a good D line. For me, the question mark is Stallworth, not Rogers!

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
HA! When Cowherd gets spanked in the football debate, he has to start in with ad hominem attacks on the players. Pathetic.

I was one of the "trade Anderson" people coming off the end of the season, but I am changing my mind on that. I am willing to see what he can do in a second year. If there is any improvement in his game at all, I will say it was a good decision.

B
Legend
Legend
B
It was interesting to hear Mort's comments on Bodden.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My main problem with the discussion was Cowherd saying Jamaal was a bad guy. Honestly, didn't the whole drug things HAPPEN in-between his college and pro career? And it took 3-4 years before they actually charged/broke the case?

A guy makes one mistake 8 years ago, PLEADS GUILTY, does his time and it somehow makes him a liability for the Browns? Seems like he was just reaching for that one.

As for Rogers, he is a risk but I find it hard to believe that a player that has gone to 2 pro bowls and was an alternate in another the last 3 years is THAT much of a risk.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

My main problem with the discussion was Cowherd saying Jamaal was a bad guy. Honestly, didn't the whole drug things HAPPEN in-between his college and pro career? And it took 3-4 years before they actually charged/broke the case?

A guy makes one mistake 8 years ago, PLEADS GUILTY, does his time and it somehow makes him a liability for the Browns? Seems like he was just reaching for that one.

Right. When all is lost, throw punches into the wind. The attack on Jamal was just a desperate attempt to smear someone since Mort countered every other thing he said. I lost all interest at that point. For a while, I thought I was listening to two 10-year olds arguing over whose dad could beat up whose.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I think its interesting how many peoples perspective changes (including my own) once Jamal came from the Ravens to the Browns... before I thought he was just a punk but he really now that he is a Brown i've defended him.

Im not sure if its bias or if my perspective has changed because we know more about him since he is on the local team.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It was interesting to hear Mort's comments on Bodden.

It was very interesting.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
What people forget and what Mort even referenced was that people need to look at the ACTUAL CASE. Jamal was not a drug dealer, and was caught in a govt sting targeting someone else when his so called friend( govt informant) tried to set the other person up along with Jamal. Luckily for Jamal, he never set up a meet or anything like that but the way the law was written, he was in trouble just for being at the initial meeting. He did his time and has not been in trouble since. He learned his lesson as we all do!

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Colin Cowturd just officially became Chris Mortensen's dog. Excellent stuff.

"My opinions and feelings are mine and shall not be influenced by anyone....especially liberals."
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mort schools EPSN radio host says Browns will contend

Link Copied to Clipboard