Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nas320 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I just recently was lucky enough to be able to purchase a new HDTV (this working full-time stuff isn't all bad ) and was thinking about looking in to a blu-ray DVD player. Has anyone bought one yet, and if so, is it worth the money?

After looking online, it seems as though I'll expect to pay around $4-500.00. I guess I'm wondering wether I should wait until the price drops (possibly because Blu-Ray won out on the format battle) or if it's worth it to just buy one?

I have a nice surround sound right now with a standard DVD player and it looks nice on my TV but I was wondering how big the jump is (in quality) vs. a blu-ray player?

Any thoughts and feedback would be appreciated!

S
Legend
Legend
S
i've heard both sides, buy and don't bother...

i'm probably going to wait until they come down in price, not only the players themselves, but the movies, 25-30 for a movie is ridiculous...

you gotta be loving the 360 on your brand new tv, it's unbelievable

O
OSU Offline
All Pro
All Pro
O

I don't know about a blu-ray dvd player but I highly recommend some blu-blockers. LMAO

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
I have an HD-DVD and a Blu-Ray. I think they are a a sizable upgrade in image quality versus standard DVD. Really the question is more if you think it is worth the cost. Honestly you can't make the wrong decision based on format anymore, but I think most would feel that 400ish is pretty steep.

The extras are nice, but it really depends on what you like. If you really like the image quality of HD broadcasts versus standard def then it's probably worth the price.

If you are looking for a suggestion, I got the Panasonic DMP-BD30K, 3rd generation Blu-Ray and it gets very good reviews compared to others.

Nas320 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

you gotta be loving the 360 on your brand new tv, it's unbelievable

Yeah, I bought a 40'' TV and honestly, I didn't realize how many little details I was missing. Halo3 and Gears of War both look absolutely amazing.

Nas320 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Thanks for all the advice.

Truthfully, the price (in terms of the overall amount) isn't necessarily deterring me if the quality is there, I'm kind of just curious to see what happens now that HD-DVD has raised the white flag. It should mean a drop in price for Blu-Ray because they'll be gaining a 100% market share but who knows. I guess I'd just hate to buy one now and in two months have them drop to 2-250.00. That's kind of my only concern.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I would wait a while...prices will be near half in a year.

I am still waiting on HD to drop more before I buy...but that is getting near....maybe Christmas......but this is from a guy who's father wouldn't buy a TV because he said it would never last.

I am not talking a color TV...I am talking a TV.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If you bought a 1080p TV it is definitely worth the money for Blu-Ray, the picture is absolutely amazing. It is well worth the money to me.

If you did not buy a 1080p TV, don't bother. Regular DVD is just fine for you.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Legend
Legend
I'm waiting for awhile... of course I don't have an HDTV so that might be a good reason not to buy one

<><

#gmstrong
Nas320 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If you bought a 1080p TV it is definitely worth the money for Blu-Ray, the picture is absolutely amazing. It is well worth the money to me.

If you did not buy a 1080p TV, don't bother. Regular DVD is just fine for you.

Yeah, I decided to just go 1080p. I knew there was a price jump but wanted to take advantage of eventually getting a blu-ray DVD player. Also, I have an XBox 360 elite with HDMI connection so seeing that gaming system in full 1080p has been absolutely incredible....well worth the extra money.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
As a PS3 owner, hell yeah it's worth it.

It's hard to watch my standard DVD collection after watching a Blu-Ray disc.

Nas320 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

As a PS3 owner, hell yeah it's worth it.

It's hard to watch my standard DVD collection after watching a Blu-Ray disc.

Truthfully, I was considering just grabbing an HD-DVD add on for the 360 in the short term and buying a few HD-DVD's at the 8.00 a piece they've dropped to. The DVD add is down to $50.00 and that includes 2 DVD's at the Gamestop near me. Seems like a pretty reasonable deal. I know there aren't going to be new titles but in the short term, it's a pretty good value to get a sample of hi-def video.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Absolutly worth it. I bought a PS3 just for the Blu-Ray player; I'm not much of a gamer, in fact my friends laugh because I have no games for my PS3...just use it as my Blu-Ray player. The reason I bought it instead of another is that it does the software updates for Blu-Ray via the wireless connection used for gaming. Plus, if I ever do decide to play games I can.

Either way, go with a Blu-Ray player...you won't regret it IMO. I was sceptical of the quality difference I'd see between standard DVD and Blu-Ray when I bought my 52" Sony XBR 1080p TV a few months ago. My brother talked me into getting the Blu-Ray a few weeks ago - AMAZING difference.

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I have an HD tv, but it's maximum setting is 1080i, and I have heard about the debate. But if you play a blu-ray on 1080i, will it look like crap???

Because I do have a Ps3 and all of my games look great on the tv, maybe I will rent a blu-ray sometime.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Quote:

I have an HD tv, but it's maximum setting is 1080i, and I have heard about the debate. But if you play a blu-ray on 1080i, will it look like crap???

Because I do have a Ps3 and all of my games look great on the tv, maybe I will rent a blu-ray sometime.

My TV does 1080i. I also have a PS3 and about a dozen Blu-ray movies. No, the Blu-ray movies will not look like crap on your TV.

The movie I always use as an example is The 5th Element, particulary when the Diva is singing. Her blues just POP.

[Linked Image from ps3gc.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Just clicking...

Here's a question: When I watch a movie in HD on TNT or HBO, it doesn't look much different than a DVD (to me, and I have good eyes).

I have a up-convert DVD player hooked up via to my 1080 Sony. The picture looks, IMO, comparable to HD broadcasts via DirecTV.

Is Blu-Ray a better quality picture than regular HD television?

[Linked Image from sternfannetwork.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
not trying to hijack the thread but...

does anyone know the deal with plasmas and "burn in"

When I was looking at TV's the sales people and even a guy shopping was saying it wasnt anything to really be worried about unless the TV is on for multiple hours with a still object or playing a video game, and that it eventually goes away.

I have already noticed some of this burn in and I have only had the TV for 2 weeks. (fell asleep sunday afternoon with ESPNews on)

For example, tonight after the Cavs game, when they show the cavs games in HD they are on a channel that isnt normally used, so when the game is over it is just a still blue screen with white text saying the next event.

Well, I was at the PC and never changed the channel, it was on for maybe 20 minutes when i realized, and after I changed it, I noticed a faint burn in effect of the screen. You only really see it when changing the channel. Or for example on sunday i had the hockey game on, and I could see the ESPNnews ticker on the white ice.

Eat it Phil...
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I've not experienced any burn-in issues with either of the plasmas I've purchased (both Panasonics). You're supposed to keep the picture settings somewhat dull for the first 100 hours of use. I've read that anymore you'd have to keep an image on the screen for an obscene amount of time, like three days continuously, to experience burn-in issues. Not sure if thats for Panasonics only or applies to other brands, but it seems unlikely to me that 20 minutes would cause any harm. If that were the case you'd be unable to watch just about any programming with any longevity, as nearly every channel keeps some type of static image on the screen.

Currently I have an upconverting DVD player (Panasonic DVD-S97). Like some others I'm waiting for Blu-Ray to drop in price, as well as for any more potential bugs to be worked out since its become the sole platform more or less. The upconverting picture is pretty nice, though I have no experience with Blu-Ray to compare it with. It's connected to my TV via HDMI cable and to my Technics 5.1 receiver via Toslink.

Honestly, unless you absolutely have to have the picture quality now, I would wait it out a little longer. Products are only going to improve, and prices are only going to drop. Personally I will probably upgrade my speakers before I upgrade to Blu-Ray.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If you have the Full HD 1080 set, then it's worth it. My HDTV is 3 years old and is 720p. It's still a great pick, but my PS3 and old DVD player up-converted the DVDs and the difference wasn't huge. But you'll notice it more in Full HD.

And you're best bet is buying a PS3. Can't beat what you're getting for the price. Put the Microsoft vs Sony stuff aside and think about it. Even if you don't want the gaming system, you're getting a nice BD player and a gaming system IF you want it for a nice price.

JMHO

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Just clicking...

Here's a question: When I watch a movie in HD on TNT or HBO, it doesn't look much different than a DVD (to me, and I have good eyes).

I have a up-convert DVD player hooked up via to my 1080 Sony. The picture looks, IMO, comparable to HD broadcasts via DirecTV.

Blu-Ray is MUCH clearer since it doesn't have compression or artifacting issues.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Plus HD programming is broadcast in 720p or 1080i, not 1080p.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I believe my tv can only support 720p or 1080i (and of course the lower resolutions).

It is about 3 years old....how can you confirm if it supports 1080p?

[Linked Image from sternfannetwork.com]
Legend
Legend
Honestly, the easiest way would be to type the model number into Google and read the specs on it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

F
Legend
Legend
F
I'm going to wait. Because now that a format is determined, you will start seeing players being released by the smaller guys (LG, Panasonic, Sharp, Emerson, etc) which will drive down the prices.

I think by September Oct, it will easy to find a quality BluRay player for under $200.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
God I'm old...LOL I remember paying 500.00 for a VHS in the early 80's

That unit lasted for 4 years and turned into junk. by the mid 80's I bought another one for arouind 100.00. It lasted 12 years Amazing isn't it.

I guess the question to be asked here is, is it better to be the first kid on your block to have the new toy,,, or is it better to wait until the new toy is perfected more and reasonable in price?

I'd wait I think. But that's just me.

I bought one of those BOSE 123 systems a year of so ago. it has a built in DVD/CD player. I don't know if it will play Blu Ray disks at all.. I'm a little angry that I didn't think to ask.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
52" Sony LCD 1080P Flat Panel plus Sony PS3 Blu-Ray =

Seriously, Blu Ray discs are fantastic. That being said, the Blu Ray player does a hell of a job upscaling a regular DVD as well.

Go ahead and get the Blu Ray!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

It definitely will not look like crap, but 1080p is the highest definition you can get. 1080i is standard TV HD though. No HD channels broadcast higher than 1080i.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I was sceptical of the quality difference I'd see between standard DVD and Blu-Ray when I bought my 52" Sony XBR 1080p TV a few months ago. My brother talked me into getting the Blu-Ray a few weeks ago - AMAZING difference.

I bought the 46" version of the same TV. It is absolutely beautiful isn't it?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Just clicking...

You can read my response to tasty on this.

Long story short, yes Blu-Ray does look better than HD. Especially up close.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Yes it is! I had a Panasonic 50" LCD projection prior to this one that was about 3 years old. The difference between the two is incredible.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Question for all the dawgtalkers, is a Blu-Ray DVD player worth the money?

Link Copied to Clipboard