Next Thread
Print Thread
I
IRE 45 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I
First I heard of this . Maybe it's just me but WTH is wrong with people ? Too much time on his hands and he can find nothing else to write about maybe.

Am I supposed to be mad about LeBron?by Jason Whitlock
Jason Whitlock brings his edgy and thought-provoking style to FOXSports.com. Columnist for the Kansas City Star, he has won the National Journalism Award for Commentary for "his ability to seamlessly integrate sports and social commentary and to challenge widely held assumptions along the racial divide."
Updated: March 26, 2008, 6:07 PM EST add this RSS blog email print Would someone please write a handbook? "What Will and Won't Black Folk Smooth the **** Off" would be an international bestseller.

What's your take?Got an opinion on the LeBron-Gisele Vogue cover or Jason Whitlock's column? The discussion is already raging. Join in. I'm black, and I'm pissed off most of the time, but I wouldn't leave home without the handbook. Not in these racist-ly confusing times. I can barely keep up with when I'm supposed to be disappointed as opposed to offended as opposed to being pissed smooth the **** off.

Right now I need to know where this LeBron James-Gisele Bundchen-Vogue-cover controversy falls. And just who am I supposed to be mad at, LeBron, the photographer, the editors at Vogue or Tom Brady?

Maybe they're all to blame. Maybe that's the point of this whole mess. Or maybe they're just as bewildered as I am.

Cover controversy?
Whitlock: What's the issue with LeBron?
LeBron-Gisele cover draws criticism
More on MSN: The shoot | The story
According to the allegations, King James looks like King Kong clutching Fay Wray on the latest cover of Vogue, and the image, according to potential handbook writers, "conjures up this idea of a dangerous black man."

Hmm, to LeBron and his handlers, he looks like LeBron clutching a pretty white woman on the latest cover of Vogue, and the image conjures up the idea that LeBron can race up court with a basketball and a supermodel.

I agree with LeBron. The photographer captured him exactly as he is. You know, when he covered his body in tatts years ago, mimicking a death-row inmate, LeBron invited people to jump to the conclusion that he's dangerous. Yeah, that's the way the image-is-everything game is played. Ink is a prison and gang thing. Don't act like you don't know the origin of the current fad.

Vogue put a mirror in our face, and we're complaining about the reflection. Half the black players in the NBA take the court each night in front of white audiences tatted from neck to toe like they're shooting a scene for Prison (Fast)Break.

When David Stern insisted on helping these players with their image by implementing a dress code, many of the players and their media groupies screamed racism. You see, showing up to work in a white T and iced-out (heavy jewelry) was their way of showing loyalty to their boys in the 'hood, a shout-out to the corner boys and girls.

And any time someone with common sense points out that athletes are making fools of themselves and feeding negative stereotypes, he or she is shouted down as a sellout, racist or out of touch.

Just look at how much heat the NFL takes for trying to stop Chad Johnson from bojangling. This is why a handbook to clear up the confusion is so necessary. When Johnson slaps in his gold teeth, dyes and cuts his hair into a blonde Mohawk, dances a jig in the end zone and makes life absolute hell on his black coach, that is fun and good for the game.

But when King James apes King Kong it is a terrible blow to the perception of black men.

Would we be having this discussion if LeBron struck the same pose on the cover of Ebony while holding Selita Ebanks? Think about it. And if we wouldn't be having the discussion, what does that say about us? Are we only bothered by negative images of black men when the primary/sole consumer of the image is white people?

Vogue ain't for us. Tyler Perry's new movie, Meet the Browns, was produced with us in mind. It had a great box-office debut, coming in at No. 2 with a take of more than $20 million. It also broke records for negative black stereotypes and simple-mindedness.

We ate it up, and I've yet to hear much of an outcry about a romantic comedy built around a single mama with three baby daddies, her loud-mouthed, weed-smoking, gun-toting Latino best girlfriend, a deadbeat daddy, a drunk sister and a deceased father who was a pimp-turned-preacher. I could go on. This list is endless.

Rather than reading and hearing universal condemnation of Tyler Perry, the drag-queen moviemaker is being hailed as a genius for recognizing what attracts us to the movie theatre.

I'm telling you we need a handbook. We need something athletes, entertainers, black and white folks can easily refer to when deciding how to react to the images we choose to project. The chapter on rap-music videos could be studied at major universities across the globe. I'd like for Bob Johnson, the founder of Black Exploitation Television, to pen that section when he comes off the Clinton campaign trail.

LeBron James is a kid, and his talents as a basketball player and absence of a father allowed him to "grow up" rather than be "raised." His stated goal is to be one of the richest men in the world. Like Paris Hilton, Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan, he is a child celebrity interested in increasing his fame and little else.

He's in very good and very deep company when it comes to being unconcerned with and unqualified for the job of representing black men in a positive light.

Hell, given our current state of confusion, I'm not sure Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. could handle the job.

Jason Whitlock can be reached by email at Ballstate68@aol.com.

Legend
Legend
You're probably going to need a link.

Plus the first part of your post was confusing. I can't tell if that's your opinion, or part of the article, or something else.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
One of the more interesting shows I've been watching lately is The Boondocks.

The show's basically a social commentary on most of these issues.

Whitlock speaks the truth, IMO.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

You're probably going to need a link.

Plus the first part of your post was confusing. I can't tell if that's your opinion, or part of the article, or something else.

I was a little confused too. And I just looked at the cover online. King Kong and Faye Ray? A bit of a stretch in my mind. Why can't people just look at it as what it is - a covershot based on an article about secrets of the best bodies?

Legend
Legend
I don't know., the whole thing to me is getting blown out of whack.. It's stupid really. people complaining that the picture on the cover perpetuates the thinking that all black men are preditors of young white women,,

To me it a concept that I thoiught we had grown out of, but I guess not..

Much ado about nothing if you ask me.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I love Jason Whitlock's social commentary in a number of articles. He's very intelligent and I haven't read one race related article by him that I've disagreed with. But as a wise man once said, common sense is the least common thing in the world.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
He has one several years ago ... like 2003-ish, that was pretty bad. I'm trying to think of the topic, but I can't remember. I think he caught a lot of heat from it, and since than he's kind of been arguing the other way.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I think I kind of understand where some of the complaints are coming from.. its difficult to try to empathize with a different viewpoint, but I personally know im not objective enough to say whether or not its offensive.. because I just dont know. I think they could of used some of the pictures from inside the magazine for the cover and it would been alot nicer/classier. But hey, what do I know.

I
IRE 45 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7955740?MSNHPHMA

Sorry about that . They have not made an idiot proof operation ( cut and paste) that I can't mess up.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I could see where people are coming from. When I first saw the cover, I thought it resembled King Kong and Faye Wray...it also looked like Lebron James and Giselle Whatsherface!

I think this one is being blown up into something it really doesn't need to be.

But it is an indication that we're not as far along racially as we may have thought we were. There are still a lot of lingering wounds in the black community, and obviously some resentment in the white community.

We won't get anywhere without some dialogue and understanding.

Jena Six was bad...this is stupid

"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I love Jason Whitlock's social commentary in a number of articles. He's very intelligent and I haven't read one race related article by him that I've disagreed with. But as a wise man once said, common sense is the least common thing in the world.

i agree, he doesn't use race as an excuse, and he's almost always the first to point out someone who abuses it...

i was in total agreement with his opinions on don imus, michael vick... there were a few other issues that were somewhat sports related that don't come to mind

he's a very good writer, and it's kind of a shame that espn kicked him to the curb like they did, God forbid someone speak their mind.

oh wait, they're disney, enough said.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
JC

I agree with everything.

You wouldn’t catch me dead in a Tyler Perry movie.

Movies like “White girls” and such make me sick.

Legend
Legend
Well, you may not be able to tell if it's offensive to others, but you should be able to say if your offended by it.

Personally, I'm not, Thus to me, it's no big deal.

For the life of me, I can't see why anyone else is offended either. But to each his own I guess..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

"conjures up this idea of a dangerous black man."

Hell ya he's dangerous!!!! Have you seen that dude on the court?!?!

I honeslty didn't see this at all until it was pointed out on sports radio the other day... I went back and I can see where someone could take it like that... but was Kong really that bad?? Sure the guy died at the end of the movie, but what movie goer didn't fall in love with Kong...

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I could see where people are coming from. When I first saw the cover, I thought it resembled King Kong and Faye Wray...it also looked like Lebron James and Giselle Whatsherface.

When I 1st saw it: I was like wow look at this hot blonde! Oh hey there's LeBron. Wow look at that hot blonde!

Never saw the King Kong - Faye Wray thing until it was pointed out. Personally I think people are reading too much into it. I think some people will do anything to try to stir up controversy.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Quote:

Quote:

I could see where people are coming from. When I first saw the cover, I thought it resembled King Kong and Faye Wray...it also looked like Lebron James and Giselle Whatsherface.

When I 1st saw it: I was like wow look at this hot blonde! Oh hey there's LeBron. Wow look at that hot blonde!

Never saw the King Kong - Faye Wray thing until it was pointed out. Personally I think people are reading too much into it. I think some people will do anything to try to stir up controversy.

I think it would have been so much better if Lebron had been standing there is a suit cool and refined, and giselle had been scantily clad and acting like a savage. That'd a been hot.

S
Legend
Legend
S
maybe they are trying to paint the picture of king kong with the helpless blonde... but what's wrong with that?

king kong was larger than life, he was big time, so is lebron..

i think drawing up anything more than that is just searching...

you could have easily had done that picture with eli manning

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Now that's a good idea jobenincasa.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
V
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
V
Truthfully, I am not smart enough to figure this article out.

Then again........sometimes I am glad I'm simple.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

You know, when he covered his body in tatts years ago, mimicking a death-row inmate, LeBron invited people to jump to the conclusion that he's dangerous. Yeah, that's the way the image-is-everything game is played. Ink is a prison and gang thing. Don't act like you don't know the origin of the current fad.

Actually, 'ink' is a fairly ancient thing...and if you wanted to drag race into it, it's been quite popular in Africa before American prisons and gangs.

J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
Quote:

Quote:

You know, when he covered his body in tatts years ago, mimicking a death-row inmate, LeBron invited people to jump to the conclusion that he's dangerous. Yeah, that's the way the image-is-everything game is played. Ink is a prison and gang thing. Don't act like you don't know the origin of the current fad.

Actually, 'ink' is a fairly ancient thing...and if you wanted to drag race into it, it's been quite popular in Africa before American prisons and gangs.

Whitlock is a freaking idiot. All his articles take the same self righteous tone. According to him everything falls at the feet of hip hop/prison culture.

He's taken a stupid over reaction and twisted it to fit HIS agenda. If LeBron didnt have a single tattoo on his body the reception would have been the same. People arent looking at the image and having King Kong thoughts because LeBron is tatted' up.

Whitlock needs to spend more of his time trying to get his boy Jeff George back in the league. Atleast i could respect that.

Last edited by jay_em; 03/28/08 01:19 AM.

[Linked Image from i3.photobucket.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

maybe they are trying to paint the picture of king kong with the helpless blonde... but what's wrong with that?

I think the problem people are having is that historically, black people have called and compared to apes...it's something that a lot of us are very sensitive about. That's where the whole issue stems from.

You can say that's being overly sensitive...but when you've been hit by subliminal and outright derogatory comparisons and caricatures for so long...you're very in tune to anything that resembles it.

I just don't see it in this cover, but I can see where people might draw that conclusion.

But as you said, King Kong was not a bad character, he was actually a very nurturing and caring...ummmm...ape.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Excellent, EXCELLENT point. I read that and thought the same thing. Tats do not owe their origin to prisons. And tattoos are not just a black thing. That was just an extremely ignorant comment.

Jay-Em...I too have noticed him blaming everything on hip hop. Yes hip hop plays a big part in the culture of young black athletes, but it's not the blame for people acting stupid...those people are to blame for their own bad decisions. Jay-Z didn't make Pacman Jones go to those strip clubs, nor was he the inker on any of Lebron's tats.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Jay-Z didn't make Pacman Jones go to those strip clubs, nor was he the inker on any of Lebron's tats.

Yeah ... but he might make LeBron move to the Nets.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

I think the problem people are having is that historically, black people have called and compared to apes...it's something that a lot of us are very sensitive about. That's where the whole issue stems from.

You can say that's being overly sensitive...but when you've been hit by subliminal and outright derogatory comparisons and caricatures for so long...you're very in tune to anything that resembles it.

I just don't see it in this cover, but I can see where people might draw that conclusion.

But as you said, King Kong was not a bad character, he was actually a very nurturing and caring...ummmm...ape.

yeah, exactly...

i know that there are some racial remarks that put blacks and apes together...

but comparing lebron with king kong is comparing him more to the character..

when i was a junior in high school, the best hockey player in cleveland high school hockey was a black kid who played for shaker, my coach had nicknames for most of the star players on other teams, which he always told us about when breaking down an opposing team, he called that kid king kong, and it had nothing to do with the part of being an ape, it was just that the kid was so damn good, and he was kind of a small kid so the comparison was funny, but by no means did he mean any racial harm...

but following up my last comment, they should have had eli manning on the cover, it would have been 10 times as awesome

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

they should have had eli manning on the cover, it would have been 10 times as awesome

Huh? Eli is one goofy looking dude.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

they should have had eli manning on the cover, it would have been 10 times as awesome

Understatement of the week.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Excellent, EXCELLENT point. I read that and thought the same thing. Tats do not owe their origin to prisons. And tattoos are not just a black thing. That was just an extremely ignorant comment.

If you read his original comment, he was referring to the origin of THE CURRENT FAD.. not of tattoos in general.

The current fad of covering yourself in tattoos, (or possibly it's a resurrected old fad, I don't know) but for decades only 2 kinds of people had tattoos, servicemen, who had a few smaller ones and prisoners who started getting a bunch of them........ So while tats themselves might date back a long long time, the concept of full sleeves and massive amounts of "body art" is pretty new.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Damn and here I thought it was art. I better go wash mine off. Anyone got some real good scrub brushes??

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Damn and here I thought it was art. I better go wash mine off. Anyone got some real good scrub brushes??

KING

You gang banger!

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

you're not getting the point.

eli took tom's super bowl, and then he took his woman

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

you're not getting the point.

eli took tom's super bowl, and then he took his woman

gotcha

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

KING

You gang banger!

Your just stereotyping me baecause of the colors of my skin

KING

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

KING

You have more than one...let me guess....green with blue polka dots.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

KING

You have more than one...let me guess....green with blue polka dots.

Of course I have many different colors on my skin; black, orange,brown, yellow,various shades of red.

KING

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I think it would have been so much better if Lebron had been standing there is a suit cool and refined, and giselle had been scantily clad and acting like a savage. That'd a been hot.

The issue was their " getting in shape" issue, the issue was about exercising and athletics. Lebrons gym gear was in theme with the issue.

KING

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Lebron and Gissell Controversy ???

Link Copied to Clipboard