Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nas320 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
04/02/08

Tressel was asked if there truly is a gentlemen's agreement among Big Ten coaches to not poach another's recruit who has made a verbal commitment.

"I guess only between gentlemen," Tressel said.

It was unclear if this was a direct shot at Rodriguez, but it clearly was in direct response to Purdue coach Joe Tiller's angry remark after Roy Roundtree, a Purdue verbal commitment, signed with Michigan on the first day of the national signing period on Feb. 6.

------------------------

Fast forward to 2 weeks later.......

Garfield Heights defensive end Melvin Fellows de-commits from Illinois, verbals to OSU.

Friday, April 25, 2008

Last December, Melvin Fellows orally committed to play football for Illinois, declared his decision final and said, "This is the end of the process for me."

According to a vague, unwritten Big Ten code of conduct, at that point Fellows was off limits to other league coaches. That's how it is supposed to work, at least -- once a kid commits, back off.

Far from backing off, though, Ohio State came after him hard. Just weeks after his Illinois commitment, the Buckeyes offered Fellows a scholarship. And on Saturday, the big defensive end from Garfield Heights will stand on the Ohio Stadium sidelines, watching the Buckeyes' spring game instead of the Illini's game, as he had originally planned.

The high school junior once was rock-solid in the Illini camp, but he now says, "I'm pretty up on Ohio State. I like Ohio State."

This appears to be a classic case of recruit-poaching, and a contradiction to the stated philosophy of Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel. In reality, though, it's more complex, both in the Fellows case and in the recruiting business as a whole.

Two weeks ago, Tressel was asked if there was a "gentlemen's agreement" among league coaches to leave other schools' committed recruits alone. He responded, "I guess only among gentlemen."

Last weekend, Tressel was asked to clarify his feelings on the subject. He said, "If a kid tells us he's going somewhere else, that's it."

Article is continued here.........

http://columbusdispatch.com/live/content...U9.html?sid=101

-----------------------------

Nice that he "clarified his comments" 10 days later when he knew this kid would be coming to the OSU spring game.

The article goes on to spin, I mean explain the situation which ironically enough sounds like the exact same circumstances under which Rodriguez landed his late commits this year.

I don't really have a problem with this practice, as kids can and will change their mind all the time but if Tressel wants to do this, he needs to keep his yap shut and quit acting like he's any different then anyone else.

Legend
Legend
Heres the complete article,,,

Quote:

No such thing as a gentlemen's agreement
Individual circumstances outweigh unwritten code in applying recruiting etiquette in Big Ten
Thursday, April 17, 2008 6:51 AM
By Ken Gordon

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

CHRIS RUSSELL | dispatch photo illustration

Garfield Heights defensive end Melvin Fellows

According to a vague, unwritten Big Ten code of conduct, at that point Fellows was off limits to other league coaches. That's how it is supposed to work, at least -- once a kid commits, back off.

Far from backing off, though, Ohio State came after him hard. Just weeks after his Illinois commitment, the Buckeyes offered Fellows a scholarship. And on Saturday, the big defensive end from Garfield Heights will stand on the Ohio Stadium sidelines, watching the Buckeyes' spring game instead of the Illini's game, as he had originally planned.

The high school junior once was rock-solid in the Illini camp, but he now says, "I'm pretty up on Ohio State. I like Ohio State."

This appears to be a classic case of recruit-poaching, and a contradiction to the stated philosophy of Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel. In reality, though, it's more complex, both in the Fellows case and in the recruiting business as a whole.

Two weeks ago, Tressel was asked if there was a "gentlemen's agreement" among league coaches to leave other schools' committed recruits alone. He responded, "I guess only among gentlemen."

Last weekend, Tressel was asked to clarify his feelings on the subject. He said, "If a kid tells us he's going somewhere else, that's it."

National recruiting analysts say there is no rule or policy in the Big Ten or any other conference. It's a matter of etiquette, a question of how much a coach cares about upsetting other coaches.

These days, with multimillion-dollar contracts and ever-increasing pressure, many coaches believe they have to nab blue-chip players at all costs. And that means continuing to contact recruits even if they have committed elsewhere.

"I think it's kind of frowned upon when (coaches) talk about it publicly," said Jeremy Crabtree, recruiting analyst for Rivals.com. "But a lot of people figure they have to do what they can to help their program out and win football games. A lot of coaches don't like to do it, but in the end a lot of them do it."

They do it because it works. According to various reports, about 100 recruits changed their minds at the last minute before each of the past two signing days.

It comes down to individual circumstances. Fellows' case is a good example.

When he committed to Illinois in early December, he was not highly touted. His team was coming off a 2-8 season and his film had not been widely circulated. Illini coach Ron Zook gave Fellows his first big-time offer, and he jumped at it.

"I loved it down there," Fellows said. "Zook is an Ohio man, and we bonded."

But then a funny thing happened: Fellows' highlight film got out, and everyone came calling. Over the next few months, he collected offers from Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan and Southern California, to name the biggest.

Suddenly, Fellows was seeing stars.

"Southern Cal, that was crazy," Fellows said. "When I spoke to (coach Pete Carroll), my eyes lit up."

So Fellows was back on the market, by his choosing. And this is where it gets complicated:

Tressel said when a recruit tells him no, he moves on. (In Fellows' case, NCAA rules prohibit Tressel from commenting about unsigned recruits.) But Ohio State hadn't started recruiting Fellows when he committed to Illinois. Can anyone blame OSU for at least asking Fellows if he was interested?

And if Fellows says, "Yes, I'll listen. I'm interested," is that really poaching?

Here's something else Tressel said last weekend about his philosophy: "If a guy is not interested in coming to Ohio State, and he says that, then we've got to move on."

Clearly, in this case, Fellows did not tell Tressel to move on.

"Had he told Ohio State that he was committed to Illinois and had no interest in other schools, I think other schools would have dropped it at that point," said Bill Kurelic, recruiting analyst for Bucknuts.com. "But I don't blame (Fellows). Great offers came in and he wants to take a look."

The irony of the situation is that Zook has a reputation as a push-it-to-the-limit recruiter. Other coaches have grumbled at his tactics, and he shows no willingness to follow any unwritten rules.

On signing day 2007, he was quoted in the Chicago Sun-Times as saying, "No doesn't always mean no, so you keep pushing."

Zook and Tressel will keep pushing for Fellows, then. The player said he wants to make a decision by late spring, or at least before his senior season starts this fall. Then again, he already made a decision once. That's the point.

So how is Zook handling his recruit's continued flirtation with other schools?

"He understands," Fellows said. "He wants me to be 100 percent sure. He doesn't put any pressure on me at all."

How gentlemanly of him.

kgordon@dispatch.com

Chronology of a controversy
The issue of honoring oral commitments recruits make to other schools became a flash point on national signing day this year. A look:

Feb. 6: Purdue coach Joe Tiller, angered that one of his recruits, Roy Roundtree, switched to Michigan at the last minute, lashes out at newly hired Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez:

"There has been an unspoken rule that if a guy commits and you've been recruiting him hard, you always call them up and say, 'Are you sure about this?' If he says, 'Yes,' you back off," Tiller told The Indianapolis Star.

"If we had an early signing date, you wouldn't have another outfit with a guy in a wizard hat selling snake oil get a guy at the last minute, but that's what happened."

April 2: Ohio State coach Jim Tressel was asked if there was a "gentlemen's agreement" among league coaches to respect other Big Ten schools' committed recruits. "I guess only among gentlemen," he said.

April 11: In the Detroit Free Press, Rodriguez responds to Tressel's remark:

"If not being a gentleman is recruiting the guy until the end, until the signing date, particularly after he visits, guilty as charged. We're going to recruit him until the end."

April 12: Tressel clarifies his philosophy first by saying "if a kid tells us he's going somewhere else, that's it," and later with, "If a guy is not interested in coming to Ohio State, and he says that, then we've got to move on."

He also says he has no beef with Rodriguez.

This really doesn't interest me much, but I've always thought that until your signature was on a piece of paper, that it was all fair game... I guess that means I agree with Rodriguez.

Gentlemans Agreement aside, If the guy commited somewhere else, why didn't he sign? Was he not allowed to because of his age or something? I'm senseing by Tillers words that there is no firm signing date.. is that the case?

At any rate, No Signature, not committment in my mind... for what that's worth.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Recruits can't sign until next February'ish.

Until then its all based on someone's word.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Well that explains that about signing now... Thanks

So then it comes down to his word.. what's to say that he doesn't change his mind again?

Here's another dumb question, this kid is a Junior in HS... What the hell are colleges doing even talking to this kid so soon...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nice try NAS but it won't work. Tressel didn't do anything wrong here, Yes Fellows commited to Illinois but shortly after his commit when word got out that other schools were interested in him after seeing game film from his junior year he left it be known that he would be interested in OSU if they offered.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C

These are oral comittmens from Jrs in HS. To think that other schools arent going to recruit these guys is ridiculous. I have not a heard a single OSU fan complain about RR recruiting guys, hell thats his job. Until a kid signs his scholarship other school would be insane not to leave their schools as optiuons for him.

I dont think you are going to get very far trying to bash Tressel with out grasping as you have done here Nas.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Raven
Raven
Good movie with Gregory Peck...........

Legend
Legend
Quote:

To think that other schools arent going to recruit these guys is ridiculous.

I think y'all are missing the point... this is what Tressel said...

Quote:

I guess by his own admission then, he does not consider himself a gentleman... so you guys can debate verbals and signings and what SHOULD be right and fair... but Tressel either lied or he doesn't consider himself a gentleman...

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
DC, Fellows himself basically backed out of the commitment when he left it be know that he was interested in OSU. Its one thing when a guy commits and thats it he has no more contact with other schools but its another thing when a guy commits but then says he's still interested in other schools or takes visits to other schools, then that really isn't a commit.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
DC- Don't you know, whatever Tressel does is okay. It's just no one else can do it!

Who cares? This is all just Big Ten recruiting anyway

J
Legend
Legend
J
Like you wouldn't or don't defend the constant bashing of the school you root for.

Legend
Legend
It's like talking to my wife.. when I do something, it's wrong... when she does the same thing... well that's different.

yebat' Putin
Nas320 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Nice try NAS but it won't work. Tressel didn't do anything wrong here, Yes Fellows commited to Illinois but shortly after his commit when word got out that other schools were interested in him after seeing game film from his junior year he left it be known that he would be interested in OSU if they offered.

This is my point. It's EXACTLY what happened with Roy Roundtree but Tressel tried to take a jab at RR like he's the moral authority on recruiting. Roundtree wanted to go to UM but wasn't extended an offer by Carr. He was being recruited by RR at WVU but wanted to play in the Big Ten. He verbaled to Purdue, then RR took the job at UM. Roundtree was asked to take a visit (which he did), he was extended an offer and he took it. He called Michigan is dream school at his press conference and said had they offered him earlier in the process he would have jumped at the opportunity.

That's the thing, I don't have a problem with this practice at all. Guys have "dream" schools or pick up offers late that are much more appealing. I just think that it was pretty back handed on Tressel's part to make a comment about how RR was handling his business in an "un-gentlemanly fashion" only to do the same thing a few weeks later. He just came off a bit like a politician.

Again, I'm not bashing Tressel for his practices because everyone does it, he just needs to not walk around like his butt doesn't stink.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

but Tressel tried to take a jab at RR

Where did Tressel take a jab at RR? Tressel never mentioned RR nor that i've read ever said anything about the comment being directed at RR, its the media who have said that.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Again, I'm not bashing Tressel for his practices

Uh, huh..........

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Legend
Legend
Tressel isn't dumb enough to call out RR by name but if you can't read it between the lines of his comment about gentlemen then it must be written in Scarlett and you just can't see it with your glasses on.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well i guess i must be blind and so must be others.

Quote:

04/02/08

Tressel was asked if there truly is a gentlemen's agreement among Big Ten coaches to not poach another's recruit who has made a verbal commitment.

"I guess only between gentlemen," Tressel said.

It was unclear if this was a direct shot at Rodriguez , but it clearly was in direct response to Purdue coach Joe Tiller's angry remark after Roy Roundtree, a Purdue verbal commitment, signed with Michigan on the first day of the national signing period on Feb. 6.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
I'm sure it is unclear..

to the guy that writes for the COLUMBUS DISPATCH.

yebat' Putin
G
All Pro
All Pro
G
What's the saying...All's fair in love and war. Apparently the same holds true in college football recruiting.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

What's the saying...All's fair in love and war. Apparently the same holds true in college football recruiting.

And I got no problem with that... just don't act like you're above it if your not.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/C

So Tressel took what possbily could have been construed as a jab at RR. Holy crap Tressel is SCUM!!!!!!(sarcasm) A kid decided to take all his options into consideration and now Tressel butt stinks like RR? Give me a break. I will say one thing though, some times a good defense is a good offense, so keep trying to attack one of the classiest coaches in college football and try to bring him down to scUM level.

KING

C
Poser
Poser
C
Typical Nas. How often have you acutally heard the man speak? You have no way of knowing if that was yet another witty retort and the rest of the quote was left off. Of course, he's not the great RR so you have to try to find something to run your mouth about. Once again, you reach way too far without knowing anything about the subject.

Oh, and since the other thread got locked, let me just add that I SAW WITH MY OWN EYES the list of recruits from OHIO STATE that listed Smith recruited as "athlete", not QB. In fact, Stan Jefferson himself, a part of the OSU staff and a friend of mine, TOLD ME DIRECTLY that OSU was unsure where he would play. But then again, a website spewing crap would know much more OSU's intents and reasons for recruiting than the actual staff that was doing it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
See Coach the problem is UM fans dont know what it is like to have a coach who can take players talents and utilize them in various ways. A good coach can bring in a T Smith as a "athlete" and teach him how to be a Heisman trophy QB and a man with integrity, he can take a high school QB and bring him in as a DB but then utilize his amazing speed and turn him into a top WR and top 10 NFL draft pick. What they have is a coach who rolls in and say " I am Dick Rodriquez, I am the spread offense god, you will all succumb to my vast superior spread offense knowledge and fit MY system, and if you cant do that then ^%$$ (*^% !*@#( ($($ (*!@@^## you"

KING

Legend
Legend
That's a lot of ranting there King... I could care less about Michigan or Ohio State.. it just appears to me, from the outside... that Tressel implied that gentlemen in the Big 10 don't steal other schools verbal commits and then he went out and stole one... spin it however you want.. that's just my opinion.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Or maybe the kid just had second thoughts. Saying Tressel "stole" anything is rhetorical BS.

Ok I am done with my ranting

KING

Legend
Legend
Obviously the kid did have second thoughts... after all it was his decision to make. But I'm guessing that somebody, after his verbal commit, contacted him... and offered him a visit... then offered him a scholarship... and from what I read, he never rescinded his verbal commit.

I never said there was anything wrong with what he did but if the "gentlemanly" thing to do is stay "hands off"... then he didn't do it.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

he never rescinded his verbal commit.

I

And as far as I know he still hasnt so this may all be much ado about nothing. It has also been pointed out that he committed early before he had gotten interest from other schools. Its not like Tressel was calling him as he was getting ready to go into his signing press conference. These kids are juniors in high school, there are going to be many who change their mind.

KING

Legend
Legend
King... I'm right now. or at least I would be if I gave a crap.

I DO NOT CARE THAT THIS KID CHANGED HIS MIND. I don't know where he was in his decision making process... Tressel said he wouldn't, then he did... that's pretty much the definition of hypocrisy.. I don't care about all of the mitigating factors involved in recruiting..

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Tressel said he wouldn't, then he did...

Ok I undertstand what you are saying. What I am saying is you do not know that Tress did. There were scholarship offers on the table, this kid wavered on his original verbal choice. Do you think OSU should turn him away?? How do you know any pressure came from Tressel to change his mind? Hell the kid went to Glenville, you dont think he may have gotten pressure from there to consider OSU? Tressel did not do anything as far as we know, and if he did, so be it, nobodys perfect. If it makes people feel better to try to drag Tress down to their level then so be it, because that is all this is, people nit picking little things to try to make themselves feel better.

KING

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

See Coach the problem is UM fans dont know what it is like to have a coach who can take players talents and utilize them in various ways. A good coach can bring in a T Smith as a "athlete" and teach him how to be a Heisman trophy QB and a man with integrity, he can take a high school QB and bring him in as a DB but then utilize his amazing speed and turn him into a top WR and top 10 NFL draft pick. What they have is a coach who rolls in and say " I am Dick Rodriquez, I am the spread offense god, you will all succumb to my vast superior spread offense knowledge and fit MY system, and if you cant do that then ^%$$ (*^% !*@#( ($($ (*!@@^## you"

KING

No.....I mean, Rodriguez never took a bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits and turned them into a top 10 team in the country. He never took an athlete and turned him into a great college QB. Thank you for your amazing insight into the situation.....

C
Poser
Poser
C
Yeah, he turned them into a "top 10" team by playing in the weak sister Big East and no competition. LOL, keep defending him. What, exactly, has he won again? Oh, that's right, he took the job at UM, that makes him a football genius.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Yeah, he turned them into a "top 10" team by playing in the weak sister Big East and no competition. LOL, keep defending him. What, exactly, has he won again? Oh, that's right, he took the job at UM, that makes him a football genius.

I never said he was a "football genius." He has built a good team at WVU with lesser recruits. I know the Big East isn't nearly as good as it use to be, but it isn't like WVU's schedule is a complete cakewalk every year either.

Nas320 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Tressel said he wouldn't, then he did...

Ok I undertstand what you are saying. What I am saying is you do not know that Tress did. There were scholarship offers on the table, this kid wavered on his original verbal choice. Do you think OSU should turn him away?? How do you know any pressure came from Tressel to change his mind? Hell the kid went to Glenville, you dont think he may have gotten pressure from there to consider OSU? Tressel did not do anything as far as we know, and if he did, so be it, nobodys perfect. If it makes people feel better to try to drag Tress down to their level then so be it, because that is all this is, people nit picking little things to try to make themselves feel better.

KING

Should I take out Tress/Tressel and substitute RR/Rodriguez and repost what you said above so that you can all call me a homer?

No one is saying what Tressel did is wrong. No one. Every coach does it. Is it right? That's up for debate but every coach, at some point, is probably going to take a recruit or two. The only reason anyone even raised an eyebrow over it is because of his own comments two weeks ago. If Tressel wants to do it, no problem....he just needs to quit acting like he's the choir boy of recruiting.

C
Poser
Poser
C
Actually, it was. He had "lesser recruits" and played in a lesser conference.

Nas320 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I never said he was a "football genius." He has built a good team at WVU with lesser recruits. I know the Big East isn't nearly as good as it use to be, but it isn't like WVU's schedule is a complete cakewalk every year either.

Andra, I wouldn't waste too much time with Coach. He thinks he's God's gift to this message board.

C
Poser
Poser
C
No, I just don't think UM is God's gift to college football and actually know what I'm talking about instead of spewing homerisms and misinformation.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

He never took an athlete and turned him into a great college QB. Thank you for your amazing insight into the situation.....

He took a athete and turned him into a decent QB because a athlete fits into HIS system. Right now RR is unproven, he has some potential and that gives you guys hope. I have said before that is a good thing and I am happy for you all. I actually wish for UM to do well, of course that makes it that much more sweet when we beat you, like when you were #2 in the nation the season before last. That made for a great rivalry game. To try to drag down Tress is ridiculous, the guy has been nothing but class and to try to nit pick some crap like this is just haterism at its finest.

KING

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum "Gentlemen's Agreement?" Not......

Link Copied to Clipboard