Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Heldawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
As a fan what are the top 3 traits you'd like to see in your team's starting QB? Mine are:

1. Decision Making

The single most important trait in a QB to me is mental. It is the ability to accurately read a defensive scheme presnap and adjust to the correct play. It is the ability to see the WR routes in your head as it pertains to the defensive scheme read presnap and know which routes are destined for success. It is the ability to see windows before they are open to make a completion.

It's also knowing when to ratchet back. To throw the ball away, take a sack or dump the ball off to an outlet read. I like QBs that manage the game rather than dictate the game with superior ability. Bernie Kosar built his NFL career on this strength alone.

My QB is confident and able to make a throw that's there but he's also wise in that he doesn't try to create throws and thread the needle ala Brett Farve.

In my mind QB is the most mentally taxing position in the game and a QB that makes the right decision consistantly is the most important thing to me.

2. Accuracy

I'm of the opinion that making a very accurate throw is incredibly important to the subsequent Yards After Catch (YAC). The most dynamic offenses I've seen have been led by QBs that were accurate above all. It's the delivered ball on time and in stride that allows skill players to break long gains. It's how Kurt Warner became the NFL MVP and it's how Joe Montana ran what is in my opinion the most effective offense of all time. Issac Bruce and Tory Holt received short to intermediate throws in perfect stride which allowed them to make moves on the secondary and take 10-15 yard passes to the house with regularity. Jerry Rice, who did not have dynamic athleticism, became the greatest at his position because he consistantly was put into good position with accurate throws from Montana and Rice.

3. Athleticism

This trait may be ranked higher than most but it's very important IMO. I got to witness John Elway unfortunately pull rabbits out of his hat and turn impossible situations into first downs. I saw Steve Young create plays on his own and buy precious seconds to get his WRs and TEs open or run for it himself. And OSU won a National Title because Craig Krenzel just demoralized Miami's defense by constantly getting first downs. Not unlike the Illinois OSU game this year.

A QB that can buy time on his own and make plays on his own is very important to me. Nothing demoralizes a defense like a play where everyone is covered, a sack is impending....then all of a sudden first down. Do you remember Roethlisberger vs. McGuiness? Ughhh...

A QB that stands in a pocket and delivers the ball is great. But when things break down and you need that drive to win the game....get me an athlete back there who can move the chains ala John Elway.

Other QB Qualities that come to mind:

Leadership
Arm Strength
Touch
Poise in the Pocket
Foot Speed
Footwork
Physical Strength
Hand Size
Height
Toughness
Competitive Fire
Durability
Confidence / Swagger
among others.......................

What are the top 3 qualities in a QB for you?

***This is not a deadbate thread. There is no need to bring up any current QB on the Browns roster. If you want to deadbate them go to any number of other threads. This is a Pure Football Thread! Imagine That!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
1. Field Vision/Decision Making
2. Poise in pocket
3. Accuracy

Legend
Legend
Quote:

***This is not a deadbate thread. There is no need to bring up any current QB on the Browns roster. If you want to deadbate them go to any number of other threads. This is a Pure Football Thread! Imagine That!

I think Brady Quinn has all the....Just kidding.

I agree with your first two. Third would be leadership/pocket presence. I think the two are one in the same. A good leader won't get rattled.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
I've said it before and I still have the feeling, and you can quote me

"The quarterbacks job is to lead the team to firstdowns that become touchdowns."

Everything else, completion percentage, no turnovers, mobility, quick release, abiltiy to tackle after a turnover, blocking, reading defenses, teaching, communication, ... are secondary, ( or apply to every player not QB specific)

but thats just me and my opinion

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

My QB is confident and able to make a throw that's there but he's also wise in that he doesn't try to create throws and thread the needle ala Brett Farve.

This part I have to disagree with, I think it is just football to challenge the other team and make them defend. You have to the throw the ball forward sometimes into coverage, otherwise you get what Charlie Frye would give you which is to see a db anywhere on the field and decide to throw to the dump off man every time. It manifests a first and goal on the 8 yd line, three pass attempts in 4 plays because of penalty and NONE of the pass ATTEMPTS were beyond the goalline. That is why I have to disagree, because that is losing football.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Leadership.

Big plays, and vision to see the big play develop.

Clutch play.

The QB must lead the team on the field. In years past, there was talk of certain QBs not being the only "voice" in the huddle ..... and how important it was to have one person take charge. The QB has to lead the team, especially when the game is on the line. There has to be one leader, it has to ne his huddle, and the other players must accept and believe in his leadership.

Big plays are also vitally important when looking at a QB. No one selects a QB in the first round based on a perceived ability to be quietly effective. A big time QB creates big plays. Some will argue that completion percentage is a more important aspect of QB play, but I would disagree. Charlie Frye could put up gaudy completion percentages. In 2006 he completed 64% of his passes. Was he an effective QB?

The answer, of course, is that he was not. Frye could make those wonderful 3 yard passes on 3rd and 6 ..... but his lack of big play ability really enabled defenses to stack and attack the line of scrimmage. The difference between Frye in 2006 and Anderson in 2007 was almost a full yard per attempt ....... despite Frye's higher completion percentage. The big play capability that the 2007 offense displayed is something that had been missing in Cleveland for a long, long time. It helped the offense become a far more effective unit than we have seen here in almost 2 decades. Big plays are a huge measure of a QB's effectiveness, because they combine all of the "little things" such as arm, decisions, athleticism, touch, and accuracy .... and roll them into a package that gets results.

Finally, great QBs become great because they perform in the clutch. When the pressure is on, so are they. They seem to relish having pressure heaped on them, and the hotter it gets, the cooler they become. What set guys like Brett Favre and John Elway apart? It certainly wasn't consistency. It wasn't gaudy numbers. It was the ability to deliver when everything was on the line, and the pressure was at its most intense. That's what we remember most about them ..... and that's what made them a couple of the game's greats.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Trait1 - A good first name like.... Brady.
Trait2 - A good last name like... Quinn.
Trait3 - A REAL chance to be a REAL starter for the Browns.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
1) Knows how to get rid of the ball
2) Doesn't stare down his WR's
3) Has a strong arm

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Joe Thomas #73
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Yeah, I was gonna say...

1. Grew up nearby, like say... Dublin.
2. Learned a pro-style offense, like say... Notre Dame
3. Has a good Irish name, like say... Oh, who am I kidding? There's nobody that perfect.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Good Idea ... nice try .. to bad theres to many rude ignaramisus on here to heed your request ...

I have preached these for years ...

1A. Accuracy
1B. Decision Making/Brains ...
2. Mobility
3. Arm Strength ....

Leadershipo is huge also but without some combo of the above U will have no one to lead as U will never be given a chance .. *L* ..

Accuracy and Brains are imperative because without them U either won't know where to throw the ball or U wont be able to throw it to where it needs to be on a consistent basis ... and without those two things the arm strength is rendered useless or at least severly minimized ...

Mobility is the ability to move your feet a few steps in any direction to avoid the rush ... I actually don't want a great "athelete" in the running sense of the word back there .. cause most of them take off and run way to much and to early ...

give me a guy like Joe Montana who could step in in the pocket or take a few steps to his left or right to avoid the rush and get the throw off coupled with brains and accuracy and I'd be ahappy camper with a QB that can win alot of games ..

Arm Strength is tricky .. obvioulsy if he is accurate and smart the more the better ... but he needs to have at least a MINIMUM amout of arm strength or a combo of brains/accuracy to make up for being a noodle arm (Bernie is a great example of that one) ... but when i say arm strength they don't neccessarily have to have a cannon for an arm ... just good enough to make a majority of the throws and out some zip on the short/intermediatte type stuff ...

like i said ... good idea and good try .. to bad some can''t comply with a simple request ...

E
Legend
Legend
E
Many of the qualities intertwine with each other - but here are the 3 variables I would need and if had would have a Championship/Franchise QB.

1. Leadership...the ability to communicate with your teamates and make them better. Bring stability in a time of crises. Keep all relaxed and comfortable with the task at hand.

2. Accuracy...I will take this over arm strength any and every day. Believe it or not you can develop arm strength at least to the degree to be an NFL QB. But accuracy is the quality most coveted in my QB. And this would include several fundamentals which include Footwork...the biggest key to accuracy. To be able to move around and be accurate. Escaping the great pass rush and buying time only to throw an accurate pass to WR wide open...this can only deflate a defense! It does ours every time...lol

3. Football knowledge and feel for the game. To be able to read things and communicate it to your coaches and to your Receivers. To spot weaknesses within the game of your opponents. To just give that little something to your teamates - like advising a RB that on this pitch...cut inside the DE cause each time we run the play he over reacts to the outside pursuit and there is a nice seam. Just little things like advising your WR about a tendancy you pick up when you see the CB lined up a certain way - then when you see it again...you don't need an audible you see it in their eyes and you hit him right on the numbers with a quick slant that you both checked off to. 3 sort of intertwines with #1.

But give me these 3 things.
A QB that the team will follow and who knows how to lead.
Knowledge to make that leadership usefull.
Accuracy to make the air game a viable weapon and a scabbard in the defenses heart till they simply give up!

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Oh, lighten up. We're not debating anything. Just making light of how things can quickly turn south on a thread based on good intentions. God knows, it's happened to all of us. You want to start a meaningful thread and somebody says something that ten other people feel they need to rip apart and the next thing you know, you have a full-scale cyber war and the thread ends up being nothing about what it was intended to. I have been very vocal of my disgust at the QB deadbate threads, but there's a time to just relax and crack a smile. I apologize to Held if he thinks I was deliberately trying to instigate an argument and start a 'deadbate'. Anyone with half a brain could see the sarcasm in my post and take it for nothing more than it was... a joke. Apparently however, some people are overly sensitive all of a sudden and I guess I should be more mindful of their precious feelings.

E
Legend
Legend
E
" Oh, lighten up. We're not debating anything. Just making light of how things can quickly turn south on a thread based on good intentions."

You think this actually justifies your actions? And then come down on a poster to "LIGHTEN UP" especially when he didn't lambast anyone just brought out the inconsiderations of yourself and a few others!

If I remember correctly aren't you an expert at QB's and their play. Here is a chance to share your knowledge and you choose to redicule the subject at hand

I just walked away from devoting my time at Brown's chat because of that kind of NON-Pure Football attitude. I surely didn't come here to experience Nonsense.

Sure have a sense of humor but at least come back with some Pure Football and stay on track with the Thread.

JMHDesired Experience.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

R
Legend
Legend
R
Very good post. I would say that echoes my sentiments exactly.

However, wouldn't your 'Mobility' be better described as Pocket Presence?

I also like your take on the Leadership quality. I would have explicitly stated it as one of the three, but I like your take on it better.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I can't do just three. I need four.

1. Accuracy- You need a guy who isn't going to miss an open receiver. If your guy can put the ball when only the receiver can get it, you're going to win a lot of games.

2. Smarts/decision making- It doesn't matter how good you are physically, if you throw the ball to the wrong guy. The QB has to read the defense, possibly autible, and throw the ball to the right guy.

3. Pocket Presence- The QB has to stay in the pocket. I don't want someone who is going to scramble like crazy. I want my guy to be able to step up in the pocket, avoid the blitz, and make the throw. This also includes having a quick release and knowing when you need to get rid of the ball.

4. Arm Strength- A QB doesn't need to have a cannon. All they need is an arm that is strong enough to make most of the throws. It does really help to have the arm to really zing the ball in there, but it isn't necessary.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Pocket Presence would be a good term .. it is how the commentators refer to those with the ability to "avoid" the rush ... I just defined it .. *L* ..

Leadership is huge ... but Held asked for 3 ... and without some combo of the first 3 ... you;ll never get the chance ..

Bernie was a perfect example .. LEADERSHIP was one of his biggest assets ... along with Accuracy/Smarts ... but he wasnt mobile or ahve a strong arm at all .. although Bernie for somoeone with limited foot quicks did have some pocket presence ...

Bernie exhibited leadership like tabber described and he was also someone that could do the intagibles that tabber talked about ... like telling the WR when the CB does this U do that and it will be open ...

ALL GREAT QUALITITES to have in a a QB ..

All Pro
All Pro
1. Confidence - Without Confidence you are nothing.
2. Accuracy - obvious reasons
3. Ability to read Defenses

If you have those 3, you are going to be a GREAT QB.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The three I look for:

1-Decision making/recognition
2-Accuracy
3-skills-arm strength/mobility

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
(1a) Leadership qualities are 1st and foremost attribute for a QB.
He must take charge and no where everyone is supposed to line up in a given play.
(1b) poise…..must keep emotions during the game under check and keep an even keel, because if he gets to rattled I think that the team can sense that. (must have a short memory)

(2) Must be a student of the game. IE…… Good study / workout habits, understanding of our offence and must be able to read defenses (He must have the aptitude for the game at a high level) a smart QB knows that every series that ends in a punt is a successful one. It may not be what the team needs, but still is better then turning the ball over by INT, fumble or a miss handled snap from center. To sum it up….he must not help the other teams defense win the game.

(3b) Must be able to accurately make all the throws a QB is asked to make…that isn’t to say he has to have a Brett Farve type of arm, but a strong arm gives him a better chance to throw into tight coverage’s.
(3b) Must be able to sense pressure and have a metal time clock.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

If I remember correctly aren't you an expert at QB's and their play. Here is a chance to share your knowledge and you choose to redicule the subject at hand

Actually, no I am not an expert at QB's and their play. I don't ever recall saying that. And I apologized for my inconsiderate post (to Held in the post to Diam and to Diam by way of PM). But to avoid jacking this thread even more than I already have, I will do as you ask and get back on topic....

1. Intelligence. This is pretty broad because there are different types of intelligences, especially when it comes to football. There is classroom/book smart intellience which a good QB needs to have in order to study the playbook, know terminology, routes, formation, audibles and things of that sort. A QB also has to be able to study defenses by breaking down film and knowing what to do when given certain looks and things like that. Then there is the intelligence that comes from being on the field in any given situation. Much of this cannot be learned in the classroom, but rather through experience and just having a certain level of football street smarts, if you will. Honestly, I could put Intelligence as my top two, but I decided to just keep it as one because I have other areas I want to focus on.

2. Leadership. A great QB has to be a leader on and off the field. They need to be able to communicate effectively through their actions as well as their words. They need to rally the troops when the chips are down and they need to be a model in the off-season by coming to OTAs and being in the facility. Some of you may think this is asking a lot of a QB, but is it really? There can be other leaders in the locker room to be the Rah-rah guys if need be. The QB doesn't need to be that guy. But he needs to instill confidence in the players around him. He needs to lead the way and be the Field General. He needs to have a certain demeanor and command the players around him without being condescending or invasive. This is something that a lot of QBs have trouble doing, especially young guys who are handed the franchise with a plethora of outspoken personalities jawing in the huddle. that's why it's #2 on my list.

3. Ability. Again, this is pretty broad. But I couldn't make a Top 3 list for QBs without stating the physical demands of the position. A QB has to make all the throws or to at least give his guy a chance to make a play. He doesn't have to be perfect, but he has to be good enough to give his receivers a fighting chance to catch the ball. The rules in the NFL today heavily favor the receivers. A good QB has to take advantage of those um... advantages. He has to have a strong enough arm to put it in tight places but be skilled enough to make the finesse throws and display touch. The ability to put the ball where only his guy can catch it.

I could go on and on but I'll stop because I think I'm probably going to start repeating myself and the others who have already posted. It's really hard to limit this to just 3 things because the position requires so much more. But if I had to pick 3, those would be it. I hope this suffices as an adequate attempt to stay on topic and I'm sorry if my feeble attempt at humor was in poor taste.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Another attribute for a QB and this is a debatable subject matter that I‘ll explain later……Mechanics;

Does he throw off the right foot?
Does he have a level release point?
(by that I mean and have always told my kids to use their ear hole as a reference point)
Does he turn his hips and square his body to the target?
Does he get rid of the ball quick enough?
Does he have good ball skills?
(does he position his hands properly under center, quick hands also come in when as in the shot gun or even as a holder for FG’s and can he carry out the play action fake)
Does he have good feet?
(mobility is a plus, but not a must have. Can he move (dance) around in the pocket?
And I know this is another attribute, but as the author I’m going to take the liberty to throw this one in there.)

…..Debatable subject matter,
because Mechanics can be Coached, debatable I think, because I think you can only coach it to a degree.
Natural ability I think separates those from the haves and the have knot’s.
I will use Trent Dillfer as an example, because even though he has played many years in the League his mechanics are sloppy, because at the end of the day he refers back to his natural ability or lack there of.

As a student of the game it’s been my observation that many times if you research back in their history, many good QB’s also were good Baseball players as kids, because I think you need most of the same mechanics.

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Decision making
Accuracy
Leadership

With the New regime starting in Cleveland. It is key that the Browns draft Taylor Mays. He fits our scheme and is one of the best safeties I have seen
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It looks like you lost your way Freak.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
1) Leadership....He Must be our Field General....

2) Intelligence....The QB who can read Defenses & maintain his composure....

3) Talent....I am assuming that most Good teams have QBs with at least above among NFL QBs....IF your guy has 1 & 2 and is at least sufficient in 3 , your team should be set at QB....IF they lack in 1 , 2 or both , your QB situation will probably remain in a state of Flux ....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mammal
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
decision making/leadership ability

good mechanics/accuracy

arm strength

[Linked Image from i89.photobucket.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ok Ill play

1. A great offensive line.
2. Good play calling ( by the offensive coordinator )
3. Seeing the field ( good decision making )

Joe Thomas #73
H
Heldawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Thanks for reigning the thread back in.....and jokes are fine as long as the thread stays on topic.....but as we all know once the wheels start to wobble....

One thing to mention is: These are the top 3 qualities that are important to you as a fan. Of course they intertwine and of course you'd like to see 5 or 8 or whatever strengths in your QB....but what are the top 3 of those.

As far as:

Leadership - I don't need my QB to be the leader of the offense. I don't need him to be the Field General. A competant player with other leaders in the huddle is fine with me. Now he can't be a quivering dolt but my QB doesn't have to be someone teammates generally gravitate to. I don't want to bring up the Browns for the sake of this thread so....let bring up the Steelers. The leaders of that offensive huddle that won Ring#5 were Bettis, Ward and Fanaca from what I could assertain....one of the Steeler fans could correct me. Roethlisberger was a rookie who put them in very good position by playing within himself all season....but he wasn't their Field General. There are many other examples of SB Winners like this in very recent memory as well as others with Elway, Montana, Manning (Payton not Eli) who were unequivocally the leaders of that huddle.

Athleticism - This is something that I know going in I'm in the minority but it's my opinion and that's fine. I love to see a QB who knows how to intelligently scramble and find the first down marker. When my QB does it...WOOHOO! When the opposing team does it I look for my foam brick! I also like moving the pocket at least a half dozen times a game. It keeps the DL and LBs off balance just a little bit and it impacts the rush the entire game IMO. But if you have one of the best pass blocking OLs in the game then maybe it's not necessary. I just like to do it everyonce in a while, cut the field in half and make a solid first down from time to time.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Thanks...as for the expert...must have you mixed up with another in White???

Sorry to be snippy - didn't mean to ruin your fun. Its good to have fun as long as you go back to football. Was probably over testy on the subject cause I just came from the Browns board...trying for a good 4 months to make it close to how it was. The tit for tat which I probably missed out on anthing that led up to it was exactly why I left the other board and came here.

I'm sure you are a good poster as I don't have any negative memories from you...sorry Old man desease and I forget sometimes. Didn't mean to hurt you in any way so excuse my testy post in reply to you

btw didn't Soup post in White??? lol

As for your football post...All 3 are big. Much of the preparation is also part of Leadership.

I am glad of one thing Either of our QBs (DA n BQ) have the respect of their teamates and are leaders. I think possibly DA is a little more insecure than BQ is - we'll see how he grows into that role of starter.

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

as for the expert...must have you mixed up with another in White???

That'd be me.

S
Legend
Legend
S
footwork, durability, and good decision making

i'll take that any day

i think we have 2 quarterbacks with these traits, it's a nice commodity, for sure

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
1. Physical skills= Fundamental and mechanics.
2. Football intellignce = coachability.
3. Leadership ability= poise, toughness.

A simple man with simple QB needs, values and motivations...

Nearly every other trait or quality can be learned and coached... IMO

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
1. Ability to read a defense.
2. Accuracy.
3. Leadership.

last? Arm strength. The most overrated quality in a QB,imho.

V
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
V
Quote:

LOL. I can tell by your three choices, especially # 3, that it isn't a deadbate thread.

But, I'll play nice:

---The ability to make plays. I've seen a lot of QBs who perhaps didn't put up the greatest numbers----Elway, Bradshaw, Starr, Broadway Joe, etc---who would kill you eventually. That's because they could make plays at any given moment and usually made them at the end of the game. I could care less about completion percentage. I don't even care all that much about interception ratio, or QB rating. What I do care about is having a QB who can move the chains, score points, and win games. They make plays out of nothing. They make plays when things break down. And they make plays for others because defenses must account for the big play ability.

---Football intelligence. I love a guy who can read a defense and put his team in the right play. I also love a guy who can read coverages and find the right guy to throw to.

---Toss up between accuracy and leadership. It's very important that a QB can throw the ball accurately. It's not as big as the first two, but it is important. Leadership is also huge. The guys on the team must believe in their qb. They must respect him. The qb needs to be a leader of men, and it isn't always by yelling. Hard work, dedication, and self-confidence are also factors in determining a leader.

I also have to say that these are very important:

----the ability to make all the throws on the football field.

---pocket presence.

---the ability to avoid sacks, whether it is w/a quick release or scrambling. I prefer the quick release guy myself. And so do his offensive linemen.

I do have to add this, though. I just gotta LMAO at the athleticism attribute. Perhaps Brodney Pool should be our qb? And we all know that M. Vick is a much better qb than guys like Manning and Brady.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
1.) Accuracy
2.) Timing
3.) Footwork

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
H
Heldawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

I do have to add this, though. I just gotta LMAO at the athleticism attribute. Perhaps Brodney Pool should be our qb? And we all know that M. Vick is a much better qb than guys like Manning and Brady.

Just move along to another thread and continue to blast other posters for their opinions. It's getting old.

If you noticed it was #3 in most important qualities to ME. Behind decision making and accuracy.

If you noticed it I think leadership is overrated in a QB, something one of our deadbate QBs has touted as his greatest stregnth.

But this isn't about any of our QBs. So run along to one of the many deadbate threads. That is all.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
No sweat Eo. I'm glad you're back and have always respected your opinions and posts. So I didn't hesitate to comply with your request. I was just trying to have fun and I think there is way too much bickering and seriousness around here sometimes. But what you said wasn't all that unreasonable. I hope you stick around this time, but if calm and sensible discussions are what you're seeking, I have a feeling you may not make it through the summer.

V
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
V
LOL......as you wish, Captain Obvious.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
E
Legend
Legend
E
"but if calm and sensible discussions are what you're seeking, I have a feeling you may not make it through the summer."

hehehe...while clicking onto the board I'm like thinking to myself how nice it is to be back talking football with you all...then quickly telling myself...just stay away from the QB threads...stay away from the QB threads...lol

I see all are trying to stay away from directly addressing their QB opinion (DA vs BQ) while noting what are their top 3 qualities in a QB.

I know I didn't try to adjust my opinion to who was the QB that I lean to. Just stated who I would want if I was a coaching a team and why I can have the best chance to win with those qualities. And that is what it comes down to.

Not insulting other posters with or calling them names. Talk football and state what you honestly feel are the top 3 qualities you would want in a QB...if afterwards you feel like grading each QB go right ahead.

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

H
Heldawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
I thought I'd give this thread a few days run then move it to phase 2.

My intention in starting this thread was to get everyone's opinion on what they desire out of the QB position. What their top 3 attributes are that they value in their signal caller. Not in any way tied to current Browns QBs.

Phase 2 was to reflect on what you and other posters wrote and apply it to the deadbate.

One thing I am positive of is that 99% of us want the Browns to succeed, not individual players at the expense of the team. We want whoever is wearing the jersey to play as well as they can. Some of us just think other players wearing the jersey in a backup role would outperform those in a starters role.

And that's OK! It's not going to tear the team apart like some others have said.

I also thought this thread would clarify the WHY behind the QB deadbate. I highly value decision making, accuracy and athleticism. Maybe that's why I'm excited to see Quinn on the field. Maybe I think his decision making would be superior. I know his athleticism would be superior. Don't know about accuracy +/- compared to DA. DA's short throw accuracy is troubling. So I think it Quinn's would be superior but we haven't seen enough throws to judge. He sure has looked good in the preseason and 8 regular season throws but it was a supposed knock on him coming out of ND by the hair pundants (Kiper and others).

I want to see Quinn get a chance. Once he gets the chance, may the best man win.

If my Top 3 attributes were Arm Strength, Pocket Presence and Poise I would be solidly in the DA camp.

Maybe that's why some people think DA's a stud and others watch a game and are borderline infuriated with him. I can remember the second half of the Steelers game wondering how in the world he could keep missing the dump off throws that they were begging him to complete.

Anyway...Let me know what you (all posters here) think about this exercise. I thought it might be enlightening.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Your Top 3 Qualities in a QB

Link Copied to Clipboard