Next Thread
Print Thread
#275192 05/29/08 01:52 PM
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

WILSON STANDING OUT--When asked to name one player who has stood out during OTAs so far, Crennel didn't hesitate to list third-year receiver Travis Wilson.

Wilson was picked by the Browns in the third round at the 2006 draft, but has made only 2 catches for 32 yards in 4 games during his two NFL seasons so far. He did not appear in a game in 2007.

"Travis Wilson has done a good job this camp," Crennel said. "He's been more consistent. He has caught more balls. He seems to have a better attitude overall."

We have a load of talent at WR, trying to lock down one possible two roster slots on this team.
If he can win the Job, then I believe he will truly deserve to have. The problem for Wilson last season
Was the fact that he was never active for the games, because of the need for special team players.

If Wilson continues to show progress in training camp and the pre-season it will be hard pressed for this team to let him go, with the impending retirement of JJ (Who I hope plays out his contract before he retires)

Hubs has a lot of potential, but I don’t necessarily believe he will be ready to help us at the beginning of his first season.

Another name from that group who was also singled out as looking good was UDFA Nate Hughes.
I’m not sure if it has been posted previously, but he has his own web site. (video)
natehughes

WR Looks to be a strength on this team this year.
It was noted by many scouting reports to be a weakness on our team due to lack of depth in 07.

With the additions of Stallworth, Hubs and Wilson coming on to go a long with many hungry young hopefuls there should be no lack of competition from this group in the next couple of months and should be a fun one to follow.

[Linked Image]

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
IMO this is Wilson's last shot. If he can't prove himself this season he'll be on the chopping block.

I'm glad to hear he is coming along as he has this offseason thus far. We are pretty good at WR with Edwards, Stallworth, and JJ; but he will see some time at the #4 spot if he earns it and could come in if an injury occurs. Once JJ retires I'm hoping he can step up and be the WR he said he could.

My one problem is with DA when it comes to WR's down the ranks. He never throws to them. Aside from Edwards, Winslow, and JJ he hardly ever threw it to anone else. I don't know if they couldn't get open, or if DA just doesn't check down that many receivers.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

IMO this is Wilson's last shot. If he can't prove himself this season he'll be on the chopping block.

If i'm not mistaken, but I think it's also Wilsons contract year, for some reason I remember him signing only a three year deal and well it's year 3.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This is definately a make or break year for Wilson. We have some other talent, but I don't see us keeping much more than 5 on the active roster and 1 or 2 on the PS.

So with BE, Donte, JJ, and Cribbs set in stone, that leaves 2 receiver spots available. 1 active roster and 1 PS.

I would love to see Wilson step up and play like a 3rd round pick, and Hubbard is very intriguing.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
This is a serious question...
Did anyone ever consider that these reports coming out about Wilson could be intended to draw interest from another team in hopes of a trade in the works? I had heard that some teams were inquiring about him before the draft and now we keep hearing how he is all-of-a-sudden really coming into his own. I would not be surprised if Wilson gets packaged in a trade for a CB before training camp.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I would not be surprised if Wilson gets packaged in a trade for a CB before training camp.

Ditto....wouldnt be suprised to see A.Davis in that trade or in a seprate one, both involving CB's...

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
I doubt Wilson will make the team, after they drafted Hubbard and signed Donte....why would they want to hold onto Wilson especially if they thought he could play why draft Hubbard?

Notre Dame Hater since 1989
[Linked Image from img170.imageshack.us]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Hubbard was drafted in the 6th round at which point we were drafting BPA.

I remember reading reports about Hubbard that said if it weren't for the injuries he suffered at Wisconsin, he could have been a 2nd/3rd round pick. Not bad value for a 6th considering most of those guys don't make the team anyway.

Plus Hubbard is tall and fast, which are traits our FO seems to like in WR's.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I remember reading reports about Hubbard that said if it weren't for the injuries he suffered at Wisconsin, he could have been a 2nd/3rd round pick.

Just like Travis Wilson's injuries kept him from being a 1st round pick!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Clay: I looked it up and we have Wilson through 09. link

It would be great if we could get something out of Wilson. I can't even imagine our offense if he could come in and contribute.

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
so what did you think about the Nate Hughes link?

Kids got some talent.....this much I know

[Linked Image]

E
Legend
Legend
E
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The kid has talent! He has had a confidence problem - if he can overcome and believe in himself guess what folks? Add another weapon to the growing list

JMHO - oh and for those who care...Wilson has been BQ's main guy.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
From the few tidbits I've heard, the kid's problem has never been about ability as much as it has been between his ears as far as getting up to speed with the Pro game.

I have no idea how valid that is, but if it is and the light is coming on for him, we're gonna get a treat.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

why draft Hubbard?

With an eye on the Future……I look for big things from Hubs down the road so to speak.

Just another tid bit....is that Wilson has been behind Edwards as far as depth at the X receiver position.

Now I don’t see Edwards sitting to many plays out and it’s not like Wilson has had his opportunities to show what he can offer this team. The competition he has this year will only push him to bring his best to practice or on the field.

[Linked Image]

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Nothing better than praise from a coach for confidence. I wrote him off, and that is obviously a mistake. I thought Hubbard was his end, but he is stepping up. AWESOME!

With the New regime starting in Cleveland. It is key that the Browns draft Taylor Mays. He fits our scheme and is one of the best safeties I have seen
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We have 2 scenarios that could be HUGE for this team concerning the Wide-Outs...

1) Wilson
2) Hubbard

And even a 3rd in Stallworth...

Jurevicious is seeing his last legs...And Stallworth is over a 6.5M Cap Hit in 2009 after a nearly 5M Roster Bonus due next March..If we are to pay that or convert it to more Signing Bonus to go with his original 4.5M SB...He best have his best ever year...

So there's TWO who very well could be in need of replacement come 2009...

Having Wilson's "Lights" come on and or Hubbard developing would be a HUGE step forward for us...

Go Browns!!!
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Hubbard is also said to have some of the worst hands of any WR in the draft. He needs some work.

Its not out of the question that Wilson makes the team and Hubbard is put on PS.

Remember, Hubbard was a 6th round pick. We think he could be a steal. You know who else we thought would be a steal in the 6th?

Babatunde Oshinawa.

I remember a lot of people said he would be just as good as Ngata. We all saw how that turned out.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We have 2 scenarios that could be HUGE for this team concerning the Wide-Outs...

1) Wilson
2) Hubbard

Personally I would love to see one or both of these guys come on and land spots ahead of Cribbs. As much as I love the guy and think he's a threat every time he has the ball, he doesn't instill confidence in me when he lines up at receiver. Maybe the light has come on for him this year too, but I haven't heard that, only that he says he's ahead of Donte in the scheme of things.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Hubbard is also said to have some of the worst hands of any WR in the draft. He needs some work.

I'd be interested in knowing where that is said. From what I've seen he has pretty decent hands, catches the ball softly, away from his body. Granted he does need work, but where he has issues is on concentration and locating the ball. Both things are coachable and can be improved through discipline and proper route running.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
V
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
V
j/c:

From what I understand..............Wilson's problem is that he didn't accept coaching very well and didn't work hard. They tried giving him a lot of work last year during the exhibition season, but he sucked ass.

Hopefully, he will turn it around, but I ain't holdin' my breath.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
E
Legend
Legend
E
"And Stallworth is over a 6.5M Cap Hit in 2009 after a nearly 5M Roster Bonus due next March..If we are to pay that or convert it to more Signing Bonus to go with his original 4.5M SB"

I'm sure if we like his play and wish him here...we will redo the contract. It was done for a 1, 2 year thing and an unrealistic back end so the Agent can brag about a total contract.

Nobody is going to have him at that...surely with some of our guys going to need 2nd contracts soon (BE for one) we don't need Stallworth's existing contract as a bargaining chip in those negotiations.

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Its not out of the question that Wilson makes the team and Hubbard is put on PS.

Remember, Hubbard was a 6th round pick. We think he could be a steal. You know who else we thought would be a steal in the 6th?

Babatunde Oshinawa.

I remember a lot of people said he would be just as good as Ngata. We all saw how that turned out.

I can think of many teams who wish they had an extra pick in rounds 5 or 6 or even wish he might have dropped to them in the 7th round, so they could have taken Hubs.
Teams who are thin at the position Like Dallas, Jacksonville, Seattle, Tennessee, Carolina and others would love to see either of these players on the waiver wire.

Hubs will never make it to the practice squad without being picked up by another team.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
That 53-man cut is gonna be so hard to do....

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
2nd String
2nd String
C
and as much as that sucks, it also speaks volumes on how far we've come. other teams will be signing our cast-offs and not the other way around

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

This is a serious question...
Did anyone ever consider that these reports coming out about Wilson could be intended to draw interest from another team in hopes of a trade in the works? I had heard that some teams were inquiring about him before the draft and now we keep hearing how he is all-of-a-sudden really coming into his own. I would not be surprised if Wilson gets packaged in a trade for a CB before training camp.

I don't think that's the case here. I've read some independent reports that are also praising Wilson ... basically, backing up RAC's observations.

However, that certainly wouldn't preclude us from getting rid of him. But I do think there is some merit to him finally getting it.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
He will if he gets hidden on IR.

I had a long back and forth with Terry Pluto about this when the Browns hid Qasim Mitchell a number of years ago. He was a developmental OT that needed a lot of work so he came up with a "back injury" the day before the cut down....essentially giving him a paid development year where we had his rights, preventing other teams from swiping him.

Don't be surprised if one of these guys, who's not ready to contribute this year, finds himself on IR right before the final cut.

[Linked Image]
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

He will if he gets hidden on IR.

I had a long back and forth with Terry Pluto about this when the Browns hid Qasim Mitchell a number of years ago. He was a developmental OT that needed a lot of work so he came up with a "back injury" the day before the cut down....essentially giving him a paid development year where we had his rights, preventing other teams from swiping him.

Don't be surprised if one of these guys, who's not ready to contribute this year, finds himself on IR right before the final cut.

C’mon that never happens

[Linked Image]

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Quote:

I'd be interested in knowing where that is said. From what I've seen he has pretty decent hands, catches the ball softly, away from his body. Granted he does need work, but where he has issues is on concentration and locating the ball. Both things are coachable and can be improved through discipline and proper route running.

"Has marginal hands, as he will body catch or trap the ball often...Needs to secure the ball better before turning up field, as his concentration lapses have led to more than a share of dropped easy balls"

from his NFL draft profile

this site has a nice little video at the bottom web page

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Clay: I looked it up and we have Wilson through 09. link

thanks, Wasnt sure....well two years left..that makes him very tradeable

E
Legend
Legend
E
"Did anyone ever consider that these reports coming out about Wilson could be intended to draw interest from another team in hopes of a trade in the works?"

I know several posters brought this up already.

I think the praises are genuine. For the simple matter that BE got that Hip Pointer, JJ is out as well as KW2. Wilson is making the most of it and seems to have matured as a WR (a common thing in year 3...see BE) so far from all the accounts of our OTA's he's been the hilite film for the Air game.

Now this however does not mean that he would not be dealt for a Corner. Actually it would be nice to pit Dallas against the Eagles as they are division rivals and could actually bump up his worth.

Frankly I don't see that happening - but Never say Never

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
From the few tidbits I've heard, the kid's problem has never been about ability as much as it has been between his ears as far as getting up to speed with the Pro game.

Seems if I recall there was something about his production in his last year t Ok..but he put himself in a bind by bragging about how good he is when he came out..

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Really I’m not surprised he is having a good OTA, because he is the most experienced WR out there.

[Linked Image]

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Travis Wilson / WR thread

Link Copied to Clipboard