Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K
It has been said that a good back-up QB should be able to go in and win 2 out of 4 games for their team if called upon. With that in mind, I thought about just ranking the Top 5 Best and Worst back-up QBs in the NFL. But seeing as how teams like the Eagles, Ravens, Dolphins, Packers, and Browns have guys with very limited, if any, NFL experience, that may be hard to guage. So instead, think about it this way.... Which teams would be in serious trouble if their starter went down and which teams would most-likely go on without missing a beat? Take into account all the traits that make a successful NFL QB... physical ability, experience, supporting cast, etc..

Here are the projected back-ups heading into the 2008 season...
Cowboys - Brad Johnson
Giants - Jared Lorenzen/David Carr
Eagles - Kevin Kolb
Redskins - Todd Collins
Cardinals - Kurt Warner
49ers - Shaun Hill
Seahawks - Seneca Wallace
Rams - Trent Green
Bears - Kyle Orton
Lions - Drew Stanton
Packers - Craig Nall/Brian Brohm
Vikings - Brooks Bollinger/Gus Frerotte
Falcons - Joey Harrington/Chris Redman
Saints - Mark Brunnell
Buccaneers - Luke McCown/Brian Griese
Titans- Kerry Collins
Jaguars - Josh McCown/Cleo Lemon
Colts - Jim Sorgi
Texans - Sage Rosenfels/Quinn Gray
Steelers - Charlie Batch
Browns - Brady Quinn
Bengals - Jeff Rowe
Ravens - Troy Smith/Joe Flacco
Chargers - Billy Volek
Raiders - Marques Tuiasosopo
Chiefs - Damon Huard
Broncos - Patrick Ramsey
Jets - Chad Pennington
Patriots - Matt Cassel
Bills - JP Losman
Dolphins - Chad Henne

My Top 5 that would struggle (in random order)
1. New York Giants - A good supporting cast, but Jared Lorenzen and David Carr? Yikes!!
2. Cincinnati Bengals - Could you imagine that offense without Chad AND Carson?
3. New England Patriots - Where would this team be without the wonder boy, Tom Brady? No one near the greater Boston area wants to find out.
4. Detroit Lions - They're not very good to begin with, but without Jon Kitna, I guarantee 2 wins.
5. Oakland Raiders - The jury is still out on JaMarcus Russell but if he's not the real deal, they are in REAL trouble.

My Top 5 that would be A-okay (in random order)
1. Dallas Cowboys - Brad Johnson has enough experience and a great supporting cast to be able to win at least 2 out of 4.
2. Washington Redskins - Todd Collins got this inspired team to the playoffs last year. No reason to think he couldn't do it again if he had to.
3. San Diego Chargers - Billy Volek led the Charger scout team into Indianapolis and beat the mighty Colts in the playoffs. Enough said.
4. Tennessee Titans - Kerry Collins might even be an upgrade over Vince Young in certain areas.... like throwing the football.
5. Houston Texans - Sage Rosenfels is a very capable back-up for Matt Schaub. He should be able to hold down the fort.

Follow me on Twitter <a href="link" target="_blank">http://twitter.com/CoachA12</a>
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I dont think our situation is too bad, actually I think it's really good I would say excellent but Quinn is still unproven in the NFL game to no fault of his own.

but I'm a show me guy...dont talk about it show me...

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Seahawks - Seneca Wallace

correction:

Seahawks - Seneca Wallace/Charlie Frye

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
The Colts would kiss their season goodbye if Manning went down at any point.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

That's the first thing I thought. I mean, did you see Sorgi play last year??? Yikes.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Dont diss the Sorgi

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Quote:

That's the first thing I thought. I mean, did you see Sorgi play last year??? Yikes.

I'll never forget Jim Sorgi as long as I'm an NFL fan.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Quote:

Quote:

He was playing with the Colts 2nd/3rd string offense...against a team that HAD to win to make it into the playoffs...put him with the first string offense and I feel that game would have been significantly different. He's not Manning, but with the weapons that team has on their first team...he would be much better.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Ditto that...after seeing Sorgi play...Colts got to be in that so called top 5

Outside of BQ - I like Warner, Rosenfeld as the top quality Backups out there.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
I think that the Pats would sink fast, Matt Cassel? COME ON!

I think that the best back-up situation is ARZ. Warner is no slouch, and Billy Volek won a big game last year for SD. Those would be my top 2.

With the New regime starting in Cleveland. It is key that the Browns draft Taylor Mays. He fits our scheme and is one of the best safeties I have seen
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We saw that DA could win some games and got himself into the Pro Bowl so we should have one of the top backup QBs in the league.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I would absolutly love to say with confidence that our back up situation is the best in the league.. But I can't, only because I've only seen BQ throw 3 or 4 passes in a real game..

On paper, I think we are in really good shape.. IRL, I have no idea...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not uncomfortable with our position. We were wisely left off the top 5 because not everyone thinks 11 attempts is enough to foretell an NFL career.

Twelve, maybe. But not 11.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

We were wisely left off the top 5 because not everyone thinks 11 attempts is enough to foretell an NFL career.

Bingo! And that's partially why I started this thread. Everyone keeps saying that we are the envy of the league with our QB tandem, but if you really look at it, I don't think that's entirely true. We may be in an enviable position to some teams, but others have proven, veteran backups that they have to feel good about. I don't think it's fair to put us there yet.

K
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

I think that the Pats would sink fast, Matt Cassel? COME ON!

Were you critiquing my list or adding your own? The Pats are in my 5 that would struggle. No doubt.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Overall worst QB situation: Kansas City

Gotta think Cleveland would be in the top 5 in there from your list.

You left the Colts from your list. Final game of the season, anyone?

Jim friggin' Sorgi.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
K
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Gotta think Cleveland would be in the top 5 in there from your list.

You left the Colts from your list. Final game of the season, anyone?

Jim friggin' Sorgi.

Both of these situations have been discussed as to why they didn't make their respective lists.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
If having Quinn as a back-up is worse than having Sage Rosenfels or Kerry Collins as a back up then Savage messed up severely...

Quinn might not be experienced, but he gets to throw to K2, BE, Donte, JJ, has Jamal carrying the ball, and has a top 5 offensive line in the league...

If he can't preform better than Sage would with the Texans than were screwed if Anderson goes down.

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

PRO-BOWLER!
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

He's not Manning, but with the weapons that team has on their first team...he would be much better.

Exactly why Quinn is the best back-up in the league.

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

PRO-BOWLER!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He was playing with the Colts 2nd/3rd string offense...against a team that HAD to win to make it into the playoffs...put him with the first string offense and I feel that game would have been significantly different. He's not Manning, but with the weapons that team has on their first team...he would be much better.

If you're going to use that argument, Quinn played with scrubs who didn't even MAKE THE TEAM during the preseason and looked pretty darn good. Of course he played against scrubs as well, but Sorgi looked awful. Those are still NFL players, guys who made the team.

Quinn should be a better back up than Sorgi. That guy was garbage.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Legend
Legend
I really think we need to get this guy seasoned. Wished BQ would have had a handful of sets last year. Lots of jawbone, but if DA goes down early, eating an unnecessary learning curve could hurt us a bunch. The controversy is there, and I know we want to wait and see. I wait better if I am sure BQ in the clutch is a gamer and not a Sori or somesuch. still, on paper we have worse concerns. JMO y'all.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'll never forget Jim Sorgi as long as I'm an NFL fan.

Don't forget how he screwed the buckeyes back in 03 and ruined our undefeated(so far in tht season anyway) season. DAMN YOU SORGIIIIIIII i hate him on so many levels

[Linked Image from fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Best & Worst Back-Up QB Situation?

Link Copied to Clipboard