Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K
I know June 1st isn't what it used to be, but this begs the question... Was this a cap move, or just impeccable timing?

BRONCOS CUT TRAVIS HENRY
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 2, 2008, 12:07 p.m. EDT
The Denver Broncos announced today that they have released running back Travis Henry.

“Although Travis has the ability to be one of the top running backs in the NFL, we have to make decisions that are in the best interests of our organization and its goal of winning a Super Bowl,” coach Mike Shanahan said. “We did not feel his commitment to the Broncos was enough to warrant a spot on this football team.”

It’s not clear what Shanahan was referring to when he questioned Henry’s commitment. Henry has had multiple violations of the league’s substance-abuse policy, but in the past Shanahan has publicly supported Henry, including taking Henry’s side last year during Henry’s successful appeal of a positive test that would have resulted in a year-long suspension.

Henry signed with the Broncos as a free agent last year and played fairly well, rushing for 691 yards. But the emergence of youngsters Selvin Young and Andre Hall, plus this year’s rookie fifth-round pick Ryan Torain, plus the recent signing of Michael Pittman, means there wasn’t room for Henry in Denver anymore — especially if the coach questions his commitment.

Henry will now become an unrestricted free agent, and he’ll need to find work somewhere: He reportedly owes child support payments to the mothers of his nine children, and last year his lawyer said, “He doesn’t have any money.”

pft

Follow me on Twitter <a href="link" target="_blank">http://twitter.com/CoachA12</a>
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Henry will now become an unrestricted free agent, and he’ll need to find work somewhere: He reportedly owes child support payments to the mothers of his nine children, and last year his lawyer said, “He doesn’t have any money.”

So he is playing for the money and not the desire.

That is not what most teams are looking for nowadays. I bet the Redskins sign him.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
K
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K
C'mon Kash, they're all playing for the money.

Legend
Legend
"Shawn Kemp has been subjected to many paternity suits, having fathered thirteen out-of-wedlock children with nine different women[citation needed]. This number is alleged to be even higher..."

Come on Travis, only nine? You slacker.

If these guys covet money so much, why don't they bother protecting it from paternity suits? I could almost understand slipping one past the goalie if you're a single guy. It's a mistake, you learn from it and make sure it never happens again (while trying to make sure the kid has everything he/she needs to grow up). But 9 or 13? Damn! You're just stupid to keep writing blank checks to these women and your kids. Wear a raincoat!

As far as the thread goes, I don't think we're going to see many useful names over the coming days. I never really liked many of the names in the past either. They were mostly limited talent guys with huge contracts or old guys with huge contracts. Most teams will bend over backward to keep someone that can help the team (no matter what they're making).

And I don't see how a team could cut a decent CB knowing we're looking that right now. They'd be smart to ask us about a trade.

Why isn't Ty Law in Cleveland yet? Or Lito?

Last edited by Punchsmack; 06/02/08 02:00 PM.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
But instant gratification is so much better!

Doesn't Santonio Holmes have a number of kids, too? Man oh man, these guys.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not to completely excuse these athletes, but when you've got money and fame...women jump out the woodwork. It's very easy to slip up.

I'm not condoning their actions, but I understand how they can get caught up.

"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Legend
Legend
Oh, I agree. It takes two to "tango", but these guys really should know better. Go to the doctor after the first four or five and get the snip snip. Now you don't have to worry about it anymore!

And, heck, besides pregnancy, the diseases out there!

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree. But, snip snip...ewwwwwww. I think most men are scared of the notion.

But the diseases would scare the hell out me.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
One = slip up

Two = ok...a slip up...so wake up

More than 2 = Issues

(Note: Not implying that you meant 9 was a slip up...just saying.)

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Like I said...I'm not condoning or excusing.

Just understanding, how these situations happen.

Some people are just hard-headed!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Not to completely excuse these athletes, but when you've got money and fame...women jump out the woodwork. It's very easy to slip up.

I gotta say I agree with some others.. once is a slip up, twice is arrogance, more than that is just stupidity... 9 is unfreakin' real.

yebat' Putin
K
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K
I know it may not be as interesting, but could we get back to football before this gets moved to the Tailgate Lot?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not disagreeing. Most of us can't relate, since nobody really throws themselves at us (except me of course )

All I'm saying is, these things happen. Of course these are the extreme cases, and there is no excuse. They've got to make better decisions. But when you're young, rich, and single...you do dumb things.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I know it may not be as interesting, but could we get back to football before this gets moved to the Tailgate Lot?

I tried to comment on the actual subject too. I think this thread was destined to have this kind of direction once it was mentioned he had nine kids.

That and nobody else is getting cut right now.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Rookie
Rookie
S
ahh, pregnancy......the worst disease known to man!

Legend
Legend
That is because with exploding cap values and teams learning to manage them better along with GM's ensuring that they get their guys wrapped up earlier... you *rarely* see any June 1st cuts like we used to in the early days of free agency. The guys just aren't there or they are released earlier on before roster bonuses are due. It seems it is more prevalent for teams to just suck it up and eat the whole hit rather than still be taking a cap hit a year later for a guy who didn't even play for them the previous season.... and the higher Cap makes it much easier for teams to do that.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

ahh, pregnancy......the worst disease known to man!

Back to the subject.

I never thought Travis Henry was that great. He had a couple good years in Buffalo, but not much since. If you can't succeed in Denver's system, then there's really no hope for you. I really can't see any team being desperate enough to take a chance on him. But stranger things have happened.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I really can't see any team being desperate enough to take a chance on him. But stranger things have happened.

The Chicago Rush may be looking for a new back.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Oh right, football... We don't need him.

As DC says in his best Ed Rooney voice from Ferris Buehler, "NINE times!"

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
If he's sitting out there and stays in shape, someone will take him as soon as a back gets injured..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Henry may find work, but teams are tired of him. So far three franchises have given up on him, one of whom is notorious for not caring about problems with character.

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
He is on his 2nd strike, I couldnt see anyone taking him except Dallas. LOL they take all the guys with the strikes.....might as well add him too.

With that said, all those kids....thats really tragic in its own. Travis needs to man up!

With the New regime starting in Cleveland. It is key that the Browns draft Taylor Mays. He fits our scheme and is one of the best safeties I have seen
G
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
G
Some teams might be reluctant due to the fact that last September he was suspended for a year due to the hippy lettuce. He fought it and won somehow and was not suspended afterall. However he apparently will be suspended for a year if he slips up in that regard again. Makes it more difficult to throw money at him with that hanging around too.

Signing Steinbach - $49.5 million
Signing Lewis - $5 million
Drafting Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn - millions more
Restoring the Browns to champions - priceless.
H
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
H
Quote:

That is because with exploding cap values

This seems to be Henrys problem on both fronts.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm not disagreeing. Most of us can't relate, since nobody really throws themselves at us (except me of course )

All I'm saying is, these things happen. Of course these are the extreme cases, and there is no excuse. They've got to make better decisions. But when you're young, rich, and single...you do dumb things.

One word...Condom.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
He already has an agent.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

9 kids - no wife - how many mothers....

travis henry is a fool and a joke. He'll never have any money, either.

9 kids from how many different women, and they aren't his wife? Pathetic. I suppose he's a real good father though.

9 kids, PLUS the drug problems..........the guy doesn't have a brain. Plain and simple.

9 kids doesn't just "happen"......it's not "just one of those things, he's young and rich and famous". First of all, he's apparently broke. His fame is gone, and he's not young.

Funny thing is, while he thought he was screwing them, all he did was screw himself. And his kids.

C
2nd String
2nd String
C
Quote:

He already has an agent.

took me second to get that one

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

One word...Condom.

Two words...2 condoms...then add two more words...pull out!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
When in doubt...just pull out.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I'm not condoning their actions, but I understand how they can get caught up.

And also remember to not use the raincoats they provide and trust them when they say they are on the pill.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

When in doubt, don't go in.,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Some people are just hard-headed!

Cold showers are the fix.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
i could care less about character issues, i'd offer him a minimal contract to be our backup...unlike most of the homers that think Wright and Harrison will be just fine if/when called upon, Henry's better than either one, unless they improve dramatically in this offseason...

Browns fans are born with it...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
while i agree that wright and harrison are just ok backups i dont think either are starters if something was to happen to Jamal Lewis....in another thread i said i wanted us to sign Kevin Jones and got blasted....I would pass on Henry tho....there are other FA out there that are better all around guys...such as Jones

#brownsgoodkarma
C
1st String
1st String
C
they seemed to carry the load well last year....jamal missed 2 games (if not for one play, 3)....

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

That's the problem. At "that" moment there's never any doubt. Wrap the rascal.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
How we got from Travis Henry being cut to this issue , I don't know ....However , as a friend used to say.....Double Bag It ! ....

The Mammal
Legend
Legend
Travis Henry doesn't need to be cut ... he needs to be snipped.

1st String
1st String
Quote:

"Shawn Kemp has been subjected to many paternity suits, having fathered thirteen out-of-wedlock children with nine different women[citation needed]. This number is alleged to be even higher..."

Come on Travis, only nine? You slacker.

If these guys covet money so much, why don't they bother protecting it from paternity suits? I could almost understand slipping one past the goalie if you're a single guy. It's a mistake, you learn from it and make sure it never happens again (while trying to make sure the kid has everything he/she needs to grow up). But 9 or 13? Damn! You're just stupid to keep writing blank checks to these women and your kids. Wear a raincoat!

As far as the thread goes, I don't think we're going to see many useful names over the coming days. I never really liked many of the names in the past either. They were mostly limited talent guys with huge contracts or old guys with huge contracts. Most teams will bend over backward to keep someone that can help the team (no matter what they're making).

And I don't see how a team could cut a decent CB knowing we're looking that right now. They'd be smart to ask us about a trade.

Why isn't Ty Law in Cleveland yet? Or Lito?

You don't want Ty Law. He is no longer a good CB. The guy trips over blades of grass on a regular basis. You really don't want him since you don't run the cover 2 defense as your base defense.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Travis Henry and other June 1st Casualties

Link Copied to Clipboard