Print Thread
#279116 06/09/08 06:17 PM
B
bigf00t Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
After his boating DUI charge, Cedric Benson remained a starting running back in the eyes of coach Lovie Smith and the Chicago Bears.

His weekend DUI charge while in a car in Austin, Texas, has led to his release, however. The Bears placed Benson on waivers Monday, two years before the end of his contract and three years into a disappointing career with the team.

"Cedric displayed a pattern of behavior we will not tolerate," Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said in a statement. "As I said this past weekend, you have to protect your job. Everyone in this organization is held accountable for their actions. When individual priorities overshadow team goals, we suffer the consequences as a team. Those who fail to understand the importance of 'team' will not play for the Chicago Bears."

Benson wasn't present at the Bears organized practice Monday. The Chicago Sun-Times reported on its Web site that Benson showed up and was sent home by Smith.

Reporters waited for a statement from Angelo as he walked off the field on Monday, but he said the team might have a statement later in the day.

The statement turned out to be an action. Benson's name appeared on the NFL's waiver wire Monday afternoon, ending the three-year relationship.

Though the 5-foot-10, 220-pound runner claimed his innocence on both DUI charges, the team apparently lost faith in him. Because he's only been in the league for three seasons, Benson does not have his contract automatically terminated. He can be claimed by any other interested team on waivers.

Before his release, Benson made one last ditch effort to repair the situation, issuing an apology on Monday afternoon.

"I apologize for making the poor decision to drink and drive during the early morning of Saturday, June 7th," he said in a statement. "Given the incident last month, it was a particularly bad decision. I have no excuse for this lack of judgment.

"Though I strongly believe that I am not guilty of any crime, I realize that the public and the Bears organization hold me to higher standard. Though my local attorneys will continue to work hard to prove my innocence, I confess to using poor judgment. Please accept my deepest apology."

Benson was arrested on a drunken driving charge in Austin, Texas, early Saturday and Bears officials said they would treat the matter seriously. Benson's attorney said the former Texas star had a few drinks with dinner but didn't think he was intoxicated and cooperated with police.

The arrest comes a month after Benson was charged in Austin with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest. He has said neither charge is true, and those cases are pending.

Benson rushed for only 1,593 yards in three seasons. Thomas Jones was the Bears starting running back for Benson's first two seasons. Jones was traded to the Jets before last season, giving Benson the chance to start.

It didn't work out on the field. Benson rushed for only 272 yards on 67 carries last season. He couldn't finish the season because of a broken leg.

The Bears drafted Tulane running back Matt Forte in the second round, and he will enter camp as the team's possible starter. Adrian Peterson, a longtime Bears backup, will initially be second string.

It is not known where the Bears will pursue another running back.

Benson was the fourth pick in the 2005 draft. The team will save $820,000 on the cap by releasing him, but there will be a $2.575 million pro-ration that will count against the 2008 cap. There will be a $2.575 million cap charge for the Bears in 2009.

espn

it does appear that the guy has an alcohol problem, but if he could get this figured out, could he be the young rb of the future. Could Jamal Lewis take him and make him a pro??

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

it does appear that the guy has an alcohol problem, but if he could get this figured out, could he be the young rb of the future. Could Jamal Lewis take him and make him a pro??

no. and i don't see phil savage taking any kind of chance with him...

this guy is busted... a complete waste of a pretty good talent...

remember, phil had a chance to take this guy in the draft, and opted to go with braylon edwards

i, uh, think he made the right move there.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't think so.. We already had our chance at a William Green,, we don't need another one.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
bigf00t Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

remember, phil had a chance to take this guy in the draft, and opted to go with braylon edwards

wow- now that's a sobering thought

Legend
Legend
Smart move by the Bears.

And no, we don't need this guy. Like someone said, he runs like William Green. Straight into the line, looks like he's running uphill and fumbles too often (as well as being a drunk). Forget it. He''s done (someone will give him another chance for sure but he'll fail there too).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Legend
Legend
S
with that said, i would like to see us add another back to this team...

i love jamal, we all do, but it would be nice to have a little bit of security should he get hurt...

Legend
Legend
I wouldn't be surprised to see Houston make a move for this guy... they desperately need a running back and with Benson being from UT it would make sense that he'd want to be closer to home...

<><

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Adrian Peterson, a longtime Bears backup, will initially be second string.

I thought he was a star runner at the Vikings and now he's only a second string runner on the Bears

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
All Pro
All Pro
Theres a thread in tailgate about this topic already. I posted it a couple days ago and updated it today whaen I saw the new news. just a heads up.

[Linked Image from img.villagephotos.com]
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
does this make him the first official "Bust" from the 05 draft?

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Nah, there has been a few already.

Erasmus James, Matt Jones, Mike Williams, Pacman Jones are the ones I remember. So maybe he is number 5?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Waste of talent, and a guy totally lacking commitment to the game. He hit the NFL, got paid and stopped playing with passion. Please guys, spare us the "Well he could backup Jamal," routine, because Benson isn't as good as Jason Wright right now.

Legend
Legend
Last I heard...

Benson, Chris Henry, and Odell Thurman are trying to add another team to the league....

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mean Machine?

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
From the jackass's mouth:
Quote:

"I apologize for making the poor decision to drink and drive..."

Quote:

"Though I strongly believe that I am not guilty of any crime..,"

Erm... drinking and driving isn't a crime in Texas?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"One man's Bum is another man's Hobo" - Waterdawg
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Exactly True.

Once you get a SB at 10M+ there really is no incentive to perform from a monetary standpoint. You have to be internally driven to be the best. Absent that you'll have dozens of these TOP 10 OVERALL guys busting out each decade.

It is the biggest reason the NFL needs to introduce a rookie salary cap. A bad team that makes a bad choice at the top of the draft may take years to recuperate. We saw it first hand with Couch, Warren and Brown. Granted, all for different reasons.

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
well, i don't think Benson can be productive runner, but i think a lot of Browns fans are making a mistake overlooking our delicate RB situation...in the last 3 years, Lewis has had 1 good season...if healthy, he could have another, but it's not the lock that so many believe, IMO...if he misses a few games, we can survive with Wright/Harrison...beyond that, we're toast...we need a legit #2 back, and we don't have him...besides DBs, i don't see a bigger depth concern on this team...and if Baxter is able to play, RB may catch up with DB in that regard...

Browns fans are born with it...
Legend
Legend
Frankly, I think the Bears were ready to give up on Benson just due to his performance on the field, let alone off the field stuff. If he would have performed this year like he did these past couple years, he would have been out. JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Waste of talent, and a guy totally lacking commitment to the game. He hit the NFL, got paid and stopped playing with passion. Please guys, spare us the "Well he could backup Jamal," routine, because Benson isn't as good as Jason Wright right now.
One of the reasons why I will always want a rookie cap..they haven't earned squat until they play .

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

i think a lot of Browns fans are making a mistake overlooking our delicate RB situation...in the last 3 years, Lewis has had 1 good season...if healthy, he could have another, but it's not the lock that so many believe, IMO...if he misses a few games, we can survive with Wright/Harrison...beyond that, we're toast...we need a legit #2 back, and we don't have him

I think Wright has been fine as Lewis's backup. He's done ten times for the Browns what Benson ever did for the Bears. I think Harrison, if used more, might surprise quite a few teams this year. I think Vickers could step in as RB if it came down to it. I'm also anxious to see how that undrafted kid from Penn State looks.

Basically, I think it's going to take quite a bit of injuries for us to be "toast" at RB. THIS season, that is.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

One of the reasons why I will always want a rookie cap..they haven't earned squat until they play .

Agreed, yet there are others like Joe Thomas that earn thier money every day.

How do you balance between the Joe Thomass and the Cedric Bensons of the world..

Wait, I have the answer.. Give them the big contracts, but they can't touch it for 3 years and only if they prove to be everything they were expected to be.

Yeah, as if that would work

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
and I think you're wearing some colored glasses right now, BROWNAHOLIC...

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
With Mike Shanahan's strong judge of character *cough* Mo Clarett, Travis Henry *cough*, what's the over/under that Cedric the Entertainer becomes a Donk?

[Linked Image from media.scout.com]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

and I think you're wearing some colored glasses right now, BROWNAHOLIC...

Which part of my in-depth analysis don't you agree with? I did say I think we're OK for THIS season.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

How do you balance between the Joe Thomass and the Cedric Bensons of the world..

Well, the rookie cap would be well over a million for year one, so it's not like the Joe Thomas's are going to be eating Ramen waiting for the big contract to kick in... then you make a reasonable escalator for the second year and by year 3, let them get whatever they can....

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

With Mike Shanahan's strong judge of character *cough* Mo Clarett, Travis Henry *cough*, what's the over/under that Cedric the Entertainer becomes a Donk?

With a couple of pending charges, he may be sitting a while ...

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
This dolt seemingly doesn't listen to himself even!??!

Must have been out of it at the time. Seems pretty casual about it. No blood, no foul revisited. Like no punishment, no crime or maybe as long as nobody was seriously killed it is OK by me so y'all better accept my personal teflonability in the matter. What a maroon as Bugs Bunny would say. We really should NOT get this guy, pulleeeeez!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

well, i don't think Benson can be productive runner, but i think a lot of Browns fans are making a mistake overlooking our delicate RB situation...in the last 3 years, Lewis has had 1 good season...if healthy, he could have another, but it's not the lock that so many believe, IMO...if he misses a few games, we can survive with Wright/Harrison...beyond that, we're toast...we need a legit #2 back, and we don't have him...besides DBs, i don't see a bigger depth concern on this team...and if Baxter is able to play, RB may catch up with DB in that regard...

Truthfully, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Benson if the circumstances were right.

For one, it's pretty low risk move. You bring him in for a minimum contract with incentives and see what happens. If he doesn't show any signs of life, you dump him. Pretty simple.

He's only 25 years old and doesn't have any mileage to speak of. Contrary to popular beleif, he does have some talent. He's also got a solid NFL body at 5'10'' 220 LBS. He played on a team with a terrible offensive line and I mean TERRIBLE. His 3.4 YPC was the highest on the team. It's one thing when a guy is struggling at 3.4 YPC while other players are in the 4.5-5.0 range but no one on the Bears team could run behind that line.

Also, being out in Chicago I noticed this guy was seemingly the scapegoat for the Bears offensive problems. People were expecting him to rush for 1,500 yards and 15 TD's this season even though it was painfully obvious that the OL stunk. Oh, and that's not even mentioning the QB play.

Will we go after him? Probably not but I do think he has some value on a team like ours. He'd be running behind a good OL (with a ton of offensive weapons to alleviate some of the pressure on his shoulders) and he'd have a good veteran back in Jamal to let him ease in to a backup role. I think Lewis could also be a good influence on Benson as he ran in to trouble earlier in his career as well.

Just my two cents but it's worth the risk IMO. It may not work out but Wright and Harrison are average backups. Surely Benson can be that and potentially turn in to something else if he gets straightened out. If not, you can him without much investment or loss.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
so you would rather have someone like benson instead of say a kevin Jones, or lamont jordan?

#brownsgoodkarma
Legend
Legend
Two substance abuse offenses in one offseason = likely a 4 game suspension.

IF I was going to contemplate going after the guy, I sure wouldn't touch him at all until I knew there either wasn't going to be a suspension or until it was over... because if he doesn't have his head on right and he gets one more, he's gone for a year and it's a wasted contract, but more importantly a wasted roster spot for someone that actually might have contributed.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
BROWNAHOLIC...

if the mantra is win now, THEN worry about maintaining it, i think going into the season with Wright and Harrison is a major risk...just like the Rogers trade...it could work out, but doesn't make you all warm and fuzzy...

NAS...

like i said, i think a back has value to this team, but see TUBBY's post...i think Jones would be less of a risk...at least he's shown flashes...

Legend
Legend
There's also Goodell's threat that the league may start going after teams that have guys who get in trouble. Now, whether that ever pans out, who knows. But, if it does, teams aren't going to want a guy like Benson who could end up costing the team money.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Two substance abuse offenses in one offseason = likely a 4 game suspension.

IF I was going to contemplate going after the guy, I sure wouldn't touch him at all until I knew there either wasn't going to be a suspension or until it was over... because if he doesn't have his head on right and he gets one more, he's gone for a year and it's a wasted contract, but more importantly a wasted roster spot for someone that actually might have contributed.

Are alcohol related offenses grounds for suspension? Under the league's substance abuse policy? I would think they probably aren't but I could be wrong.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

NAS...

like i said, i think a back has value to this team, but see TUBBY's post...i think Jones would be less of a risk...at least he's shown flashes...

If I'm taking a chance on a guy, I'd prefer a healthy underachieving body to a has shown flashes glass man. The Liz Frank injury, the ACL, I don't think Jones is gonna have anything left in the tank. Maybe he does but even so, I wouldn't bet on him staying healthy.

I don't think we will go after Benson but given his size and age, he's the best back that's going to be available this season IMO. If we're worried about our backup RB's, he's probably the guy you take a chance on. Not saying we should definitely go after him but I do believe he has some value, even with his maturity issues.

-----------

TUBBY....

so you would rather have someone like benson instead of say a kevin Jones, or lamont jordan?

Honestly, I would. He's the youngest of the group and he doesn't have an injury history. Jordan is old and Jones is Courtney Brown part two. The alcohol is a concern but it would be more troubling if he was using illegal substances in my opinion. Any 25 year old can get too drunk and do something stupid. He has baggage but he's a low risk, high reward type player. Surely he has more talent then Wright or Harrison, which is why I would be willing to take a chance if I were Savage.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
The alcohol abuse may or may not be grounds for suspension but the DUI charges will be. Just look at Thurman and Henry.

I don't think we need to bother with Benson. We can wait til the next draft or FA period and find somebody else.

[Linked Image from i89.photobucket.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Id rather we dig up william green, or lee suggs than bring in benson.....i have never been sold on the guy. I dont think that Kevin Jones would be a risk, alot of people said Jamal didnt have anything left in the tank and he proved alot of people wrong. Id like to see an updated FA RB list and im sure there is some good talent that would be a better fit for us than a guy who has had two alcohol related arrest in the same month. I dont like having guys with character issues on the team....Id rather try to trade with Miami and get Ricky than take a chance on Benson!!!!

#brownsgoodkarma
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Bears give up on Benson

Link Copied to Clipboard