All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
F
Thought this was interesting..

web page

Jurevicius denies report
Steve King, Staff Writer

Quoting unidentified sources, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported on Wednesday that Browns wide receiver Joe Jurevicius "might not be ready for the start of the regular season".

But the Cleveland native and former Mentor Lake Catholic star said following Wednesday morning's full-squad mini camp practice that he will not only be ready for the season, but for training camp as well.

"I've had a couple (surgeries)," Jurevicius said. "The first one was obviously the knee clean-up, but I've had a couple after that. The most important thing is that the staph infection is gone and I have the utmost confidence in the Cleveland Clinic and the Cleveland Browns, and our training staff. Things have gone well. The biggest thing right now is that I am preparing to be back for training camp, and that is on schedule."

"For the fans in Cleveland who may have thought that I might not be ready to play, I would not miss this season for the world. I don't care what happens, it was a little obstacle. The obstacle was overcome. I'm ready to go and I would not miss the season regardless. I think the city should be excited about what we have in front of us and where we can go."

And the next head coach is ......
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
If Only LCB had this attitude. Way to go Joe !

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Agreed. Good news!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
S
Rookie
Rookie
S
That is great to see. Great Ohio boy, wanting to get rings not pt!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
RAC ripps the media apart for putting stuff about JJ
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/multimedia/mediaplayer.php?id=4987
impressive

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
This is great news, had JJ not been ready that could have set us back a bit. I'm happy he's ok and will be ready. Great attitude he's got.

[Linked Image from i89.photobucket.com]
G
All Pro
All Pro
G
I loved Joe's interview. He just might be the most unselfish professional player out there. It's all about winning for him, and based on what he said all this media hype over the Browns IS real.

gobrowns!

Legend
Legend
Was it Grossi that reported that JJ might not be back till the start of the season? Or was it some other person?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
did you notice RAC criticized that story in his early presser, saying "people owe it to a vet like JJ to get his side of the story {before going to press}?"

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Great attitude. Love the fire and the intrigue from his comments. He knows that this can be a truly special season.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Was it Grossi that reported that JJ might not be back till the start of the season? Or was it some other person?

That would be mary kay Cabot

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns' Jurevicius OK with No. 3 for chance to be No. 1
Wide receiver gives up spot, rehabs knee for final shot
Veteran already has Super Bowl ring, but wants to win one for his hometown team

By Marla Ridenour
Beacon Journal sportswriter

Published on Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008

BEREA: It would have been easy for Joe Jurevicius to call it a career.

Since January, the Browns' 10-year veteran has had three knee surgeries, two to clean up a staph infection after his first procedure. He knows his 33-year-old body is breaking down, the main reason that he asked General Manager Phil Savage to find
a No. 2 receiver in the offseason because he couldn't handle the workload.

And Jurevicius has just about done it all, going to three Super Bowls with the New York Giants, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Seattle Seahawks, winning one with the Bucs in 2002.

But that's precisely why Jurevicius, a Cleveland native and Penn State product, wants to play one more year. The Browns went 10-6 last season, one victory shy of the playoffs. He sees the same special camaraderie building that fueled his former teams that reached the NFL's ultimate stage.

The ultimate prize

''It's about winning for me. It's never been about anything else but winning,'' Jurevicius said last week during the Browns' minicamp. ''I've been fortunate to play in three Super Bowls and win one, and I'm not passing this opportunity up. I really believe this team can accomplish some good things. That's my motivation, that I want to be part of that success.''

Probably the only player in the locker room who might know the words to Bernie, Bernie or the Twelve Days of a Browns Christmas, popular anthems of the Kardiac Kids and Dawg Pound days of the 1980s, Jurevicius never considered retiring. That's despite reports that he might not be ready for the Sept. 7 opener against the Dallas Cowboys, which he denied, saying he will return when training camp begins July 23.

''That never crossed my mind,'' he said of retirement. ''To the fans of Cleveland who may have thought I would not be ready to play, I would not miss this season for the world. I think the city should be excited about what we have in front of us and where we can go.''

Adding to his optimism are the offseason trades for defensive linemen Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams and the free-agent signing of former New England Patriots receiver Donte Stallworth to take over his No. 2 spot. Stallworth, a six-year veteran with 31 career touchdowns, has the quickness to get open that Jurevicius lacks and has already developed chemistry with quarterback Derek Anderson.

''There's an opportunity for this team to do something that hasn't been done in a long time,'' Jurevicius said. ''We're talking playoffs, and that's what we have to believe here. But the most important thing I realize with the acquisitions we had and the success we had last year that this place is a special place to be right now.''

Stepping aside

So despite coming off a 50-catch season that was five shy of his career high, Jurevicius asked Savage for a demotion. In a sports world filled with massive egos, that would seem like quite a comedown. Instead, coach Romeo Crennel calls it a sign of a professional.

''I don't want it to sound like that was a negative thing,'' Jurevicius said. ''I've shown throughout my career that I'm comfortable being a No. 3 or a No. 2 or being able to back up a 1 or a 2. I did it for the simple fact that I think it helps this football team. Donte Stallworth is a guy who's going to help this football team win. I'll be able to go and do what I'm comfortable doing.''

As for putting his ego aside, Jurevicius said: ''It's pro sports. No matter what walk of life you're in, there's egos involved. I've been fortunate to grow up in Cleveland and have my ego kept in check.

''I know how great that feeling is to come off that field winning championships. I've been successful at the high school, college, pro level. Before I bow out, I want it one more time and I'm willing to do everything I can to be part of that.''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LINK

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

''It's about winning for me. It's never been about anything else but winning,'' Jurevicius said last week during the Browns' minicamp. ''I've been fortunate to play in three Super Bowls and win one, and I'm not passing this opportunity up. I really believe this team can accomplish some good things. That's my motivation, that I want to be part of that success.''

JJ.....

Quote:

''There's an opportunity for this team to do something that hasn't been done in a long time,'' Jurevicius said. ''We're talking playoffs, and that's what we have to believe here. But the most important thing I realize with the acquisitions we had and the success we had last year that this place is a special place to be right now.''

seems we heard something simular from a certain guy last week, before he asked for his release, Funny how something so simular can sound like lip service from one and something diffrent from another, I guess it's shows what putting your ego away really means.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Different circumstances, I have no doubt Bentley would of loved to be a Brown.. but I dont fault him for wanting to have a shot somewhere else, he is still young. This is JJs last year, if he didnt ask for a demotion he'd probably get hurt during the year either way.

Legend
Legend
Bentley COULD have been a Brown this year if he was good enough. If he had JJ's attitude he would still be here. Just goes to show you big arms and 300 pounds does not make you a real man.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

seems we heard something simular from a certain guy last week,

Not exactly sure I understand Clay.. Bentley was saying he was going to play somewhere... JJ sounds like he's saying he's gonna play here..

What did I miss

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I guess it's just my perception of what happened, not that it's right or wrong, or even accurate, but just what I see,

To me Bentley said on one breath I was brought here to play center but would gladdly move to guard to play...Thats what I heard, he would play whereever the team wanted him to play,

Than his next sentance out the other side of his mouth was but I'm gonna play somewhere ? To me and maybe it's just me but it dosent sound like a guy willing to sacrifice to be part of this team like JJ, sure Lacharles dosent wanna be a back-up who can blame him, but if he really wanted to be part of this team, really wanted to be a Cleveland Brown he would have stayed on and earned the right to wear the Browns & Orange, really wanted to be part of an exciting year this year he would have earned a spot, whatever that spot might be, starter back-up worked hard and been part of this team, the team he was talking about, but to me once he realized he would have to be a team member under the organizations terms and not His terms he split, Something JJ is not gonna do, Yes I fully agree these are two very diffrent men at two very diffrent parts of thier playing career, but most Super Bowl teams we see now days players keep thier ego's in check, understand thier roles and willingly do them for the betterment of the team, weather it means 3rd reciever or back-up guard, back-up center, being a team member is being a team member, Bentley making leauge min. for one season is not gonna send this guy to the poor house, if he wanted to be part of this team this year he could have stayed worked took what he earned and was given and walked next year or asked for his release next year, taken his super bowl ring and than worked a new contract with some other team, but he didnt he walked now, because to me making more than $ 600,000 a year was more important than the team, starting was more important than the team.....Our team....The Browns

Remember this is just the way I see it, and I've been know to see double from time to time

Legend
Legend
Clay,, how about some Paragraphs man Whew, that was miserable to try and read...LOL

I get your drift,, perception is what you make of it I guess.

I kinda got the impression from comments made by Bentley that maybe it wasn't so much about team as it was himself. I believe that's what your saying also.

With JJ, I get the impression it's all about team and winning and whatever it takes to accomplish it.

I'll take a JJ attitude over a LCB attitude any day of the week!

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Clay,, how about some Paragraphs man Whew, that was miserable to try and read...LOL

Paragraphs, sorry i've never need good at charts & such

I do agree with what ya wrote, pretty much my feelings but you did it in 200 less words.

Legend
Legend
You are killing me man

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

...but you did it in 200 less words.

The only way I could've done it would've been with an extra 400 words.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Per Paragraph

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Another reason why JJ is one of my favorites. He is truly a leader in the lockeroom and all about "whats best for the team IS best for me". This is why I choose to wear his jersey on Sundays. We have seen him at the Slovenian Hall and I walked away very impressed at his character.

What I took from the whole Bentley debacle was this. I think LCB came to Cleveland in the same fashion as JJ but knowing the Browns wanted to build the line around him. by doing that it made him very important to the team but maybe the team wasn't as important to him. Both were from the area and know how important the Browns are to us. Maybe here LeCharles was thinking he would command the spotlight. Then a freak injury and setbacks changed all that and when it was time to come back he figured he was no longer the main draw. After all, in his mind he went to the pro-Bowl and is one of the best at his position and that alone should secure his job and make it his to lose,,not a job he needs to fight to get back to. After all in his opinion theres not a bunch of hall of famers on this team better than him remember?
When the Browns said he needed to re-prove himself he just couldn't accept that. When JJ felt like he could no longer be as effective in his usual role he took a step back. Us as fans gotta love seeing that.

Our honor defend, we will fight to the end, for OHIO! GO BUCKS!
Legend
Legend
Been pimping JJ even in his decline. This heart needs more on the field. Just a purely class act, not like the Winslow Johnson publicity rants and threats. Produce. Then we will listen.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't think Winslow has been a problem....and to be real honest here, I would rather have Johnson over Joe J.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jurevicius denies report

Link Copied to Clipboard