Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
U
Heres the story of his injury.

Link

Edwards cuts foot, gets stitches
Zac Jackson, Staff Writer
Braylon Edwards spent Saturday night in the hospital as a precautionary measure after getting stitches in his right foot.

Edwards' foot was cut Saturday when he was running without shoes on the practice field and it was accidentally stepped on by Donte' Stallworth.

Browns coach Romeo Crennel said Edwards would be released from the hospital today.

"Everything is pretty well fine other than the fact he has stitches," Crennel said. "So, we are going to try to get that healed, and then we will get him back out here. He was in good spirits last night when I spoke with him and he is anxious to get back.

"We'll just have to see how long it is going to take to get him back."

MORE INJURY UPDATES - Kellen Winslow and Steve Heiden both participated in practice and in some team drills Sunday morning. The Browns are still short at the tight end/fullback position as Lawrence Vickers was dressed but not participating in team drills, and Brad Cieslak and Kolomona Kapanui did not practice.

Kevin Kasper (hamstring) ran on the side. Seth McKinney is still out with an ankle injury.

The only defensive players missing are both recovering from knee surgeries, Antwan Peek and Beau Bell.

SPEAKING OF BRAYLON - Kasper's wife, Lisa, gave birth to Braylon Robert Kasper on Friday. The Kaspers' third child weighed 9 pounds and was 20 ½ inches long.

Kasper said the baby is named after his wife's father, whose first name is Robert and middle name is Braylon.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
yeah so this is the extent of the injury from the thread yesterday that gave everyone a heart attack

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
U
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
U
Here's another...

Browns Edwards hospitalized with foot gash
Posted by Mary Kay Cabot August 10, 2008 12:35PM
Categories: Breaking News, Browns
Browns receiver Braylon Edwards was hospitalized Saturday night after having a gash in his right foot repaired with stitches.

Edwards suffered the cut on his foot when he was running lightly in his socks during a special teams period Saturday afternoon with some other receivers. According to a photographer who was shooting the session, Edwards and fellow receiver Donte Stallworth were vying for the lead when Stallworth's cleat gashed Edwards' right heel.

Edwards' grimaced in pain on the field while Josh Cribbs wrapped his t-shirt around the foot to stop the bleeding. Edwards left the field on a cart.

Edwards was not at practice Sunday morning, but coach Romeo Crennel said he thought he'd be released from the hospital on Sunday. He said Edwards was kept overnight for precautionary reasons. Earlier in the practice, Edwards had his ankle looked at after landing awkardly, but returned to work after talking to the trainer.

Crennel did not give a time-frame for Edwards' return, but one team official said it was not believed to be serious. However, he will probably be held out of action until the stitches are removed, meaning he could miss the second preseason game against the Giants on Aug. 18.

Link

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Edwards' grimaced in pain on the field while Josh Cribbs wrapped his t-shirt around the foot to stop the bleeding. Edwards left the field on a cart.

Here comes the staph infection...everyone panic.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
As long as he doesn't get a staph infection.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

haha - that was my first thought though - please no staph infection

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It won't surprise me one bit if he gets one from this. A dirty cleat and a disgusting sweaty t-shirt have been inside the wound. Of course, as you know, a staph infection isn't really a big deal unless it goes unchecked. They have probably already cultured it and have him on antibiotics if it was positive.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
" Edwards' foot was cut Saturday when he was running without shoes " ??????

K
1st String
1st String
K
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing...

U
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
U
Quote:

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing...

He wanted to prove to Stallworth that he was faster than him, even without shoes. Donte didnt want to be embarrased so he played dirty and cheated.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Must have been a sizable gash if they kept him overnight at the hospital. That's strange. Usually you just stitch it up and send 'em on their way. Then again, it's Braylon Edwards.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You also have to keep in mind that the Browns have, shall we say, been less than totally truthful with past injury reports. I find it very strange that anyone would rate a hospital stay for just a few stitches. Even an NFL star.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
could have been a precaution due to the number of staph infections recently

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

You also have to keep in mind that the Browns have, shall we say, been less than totally truthful with past injury reports. I find it very strange that anyone would rate a hospital stay for just a few stitches. Even an NFL star.

This isn't Butch and his "Teeny Weeny Fracture."

you had a good run Hank.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeah? How many times did we hear how well Bentley was doing then 2 weeks later find out that it was all smoke being blown up our rear ends? Or that it was just a small procedure on Joe J?

You can believe everything that comes out of Berea if you like. I'll wait until I see BE out on the field before I believe it was "just a couple of stitches".

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Doubtful. It could have been a lot of things that kept him there. The extent of the injury -- maybe it was super deep, hit his bone, was close to his achilles tendon, or was on the bottom of his heel causing walking issues. Or, it could be a cover up.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Yeah? How many times did we hear how well Bentley was doing then 2 weeks later find out that it was all smoke being blown up our rear ends? Or that it was just a small procedure on Joe J?

You can believe everything that comes out of Berea if you like. I'll wait until I see BE out on the field before I believe it was "just a couple of stitches".

I'll give you Joe, they weren't honest on that one.

But Bentley was said to be looking good by MANY people. He was able to pass physicals and all, but yet, he still was slow. I don't think you should blame the FO for that.

In either case, we won't know if anything is wrong until a few more days anyway.

you had a good run Hank.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Anyone know how many stitches he had to get?

What is the timetable for his return as well?

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The one article said when the stitches come out he should be good to go. Length of time probably depends on how deep the cut was...but, probably around 10-14 days.

Check out the picture...and the blood.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
Read that he stayed to get antibiotics throught an IV just to make sure there was no chance of an infection. Just being super precautious. Will probably be out 7 to 10 days.

Keep him out as long as needed. He is in game form already. Pre-season is way too long. There should be 2 preseason games and then start the season. It is only this long to make more revenue for the owners!

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Quote:

Quote:

Oh, someone had to say that. I was truing so hard not to think it.

By the way, nice job Cribbs!!! If you can't get a raise for being the best KR in the league, maybe you can get an additional paycheck for being team paramedic!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That isn't too bad then.

This story still hasn't been picked up by ESPN or NFL.com so if it really was that serious I'm sure they would have been all over it.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
Legend
Legend
Geez Donte.. I know you want to be a #1 WR and all but for heavens sake man...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I'll believe the reports on the extent of the injury when I see him back on the field at 100% with no side effects and no lingering problems.

Until then, I'll wish him a speedy recovery and return.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
C
Poser
Poser
C
Quote:

Quote:

Doubtful. It could have been a lot of things that kept him there. The extent of the injury -- maybe it was super deep, hit his bone, was close to his achilles tendon, or was on the bottom of his heel causing walking issues. Or, it could be a cover up.

Good observation, Michelle. We had a player with a cut simlar that was close to the Achilles and he was kept overnight, too. They wanted to make sure there was no damage at all to the Achilles.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I think they kept him overnight until they could lay their hands on a copy of the documentary, "Shoes Are Your Friends."

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

maybe it was super deep, hit his bone, was close to his achilles tendon, or was on the bottom of his heel causing walking issues

I don't like the sound of any of that, especially the achilles thing.

I'm not going to sleep easy until he's back on the field at full strength.

Only in Browns town can something like this happen. A friggin' foot race with a teammate.

Poster on another board who was there said RAC walked over to check what was going on, then walked away just shaking his head.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good observation, Michelle. We had a player with a cut simlar that was close to the Achilles and he was kept overnight, too. They wanted to make sure there was no damage at all to the Achilles.

Yeah, that's why I said it was a bit odd to stay overnight. It had to be quite a gash for them to do that. Normally they'd just stitch it up. If it needed debrided (cleaned out), that could be a reason to keep him and get a good 24 hours worth of IV antibiotics. Or it could have been close to tendons.

Either way, if he's getting released and will play next week when the stitches are out, it sounds like nothing to worry much over.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Either way, if he's getting released and will play next week when the stitches are out, it sounds like nothing to worry much over.

That's what they are saying right now.

R
Legend
Legend
R
It's made ESPN.

I keep saying 'only in Cleveland', 'only in Cleveland'. If you think about it, it is just so ... I can't even find the words.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3528565

Quote:

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns wideout Braylon Edwards was running a sprint in his socks when fellow receiver Donte' Stallworth stepped on the back of his foot and opened a cut that required stitches and a night in the hospital.

Edwards spent Saturday night at the Cleveland Clinic and was released Sunday afternoon. The stay was precautionary and the injury wasn't thought to be serious, Browns coach Romeo Crennel said.

"Everything is pretty well fine other than the fact he has stitches," Crennel said. "He was in good spirits last night when I spoke with him and he's anxious to get back."

Crennel did not give a timetable for when Edwards would return to practice.

Edwards, who earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl last season, slowed up after beating Stallworth in the Saturday afternoon sprint. Stallworth, who was wearing cleats, stepped on the back of Edwards' foot, causing the gash, witnesses said.

Kick returner Josh Cribbs wrapped his shirt around Edwards' foot to stem the bleeding.

The accident happened after Saturday's practice had concluded, Browns spokesman Ken Mather said. It was unclear why Edwards was only wearing socks.

Edwards caught 80 passes for 1,289 yards and a franchise-record 16 touchdowns last season. He made a nice one-handed grab for a touchdown in Thursday's preseason 24-20 loss to the New York Jets.

D
1st String
1st String
D
Are we sure it wasn't a "snake bite"?

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I dont get htis one. You are a college graduate and you cant even figure out how to put shoes on before you run to avoid hurting your feet.
I hope all is well with him, because behind him and Stallworth there is a big drop off.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Hmm, an open cut on the indoor practice field. Well I was waiting for our first real blow to this years chances. Here it is. With our luck, it will turn into staph. Knowing the amount of staph infections coming out of Berea, I would never be caught dead running around bare foot. These guys need to be smarter!!!

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

This isn't Butch and his "Teeny Weeny Fracture."

cut the guy a break.....i was the non-weight bearing bone!!!

not...

butch was a noob!!!

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
R
Legend
Legend
R
It would be almost bearable if this happened because of practice.

I'm just having a hard time with it because it was goofing off. Hopefully it doesn't lead to anything more serious.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
This is Cleveland. There is no doubt in my mind that this is more serious than we are led to believe. Worst cas scenario - he hurt his achilles and will be out for the year. Heck, he's an NFL player with a cut that required stitches on his foot. -He will not be 100% unless he sits out everything (practice included) for at least 4 weeks. I knew this season seemed to good to be true. Here we go again with this stupid, stupid, garbage that we get every year. He's gonna be out for a while.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
On top of that, the chances of him reaggravating this are huge. You expect me to believe that whatever area of his foot this cut is on isn't going to be vulnerable all season? -Give me a break dude, he's done.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Are you kidding me?

He played with stitches in his arm after having it cleaned out from a staph infection his rookie year. You have no idea where it is, how deep or long it is or anything, and you're saying the guy is done for the year???

Last edited by Dawgpound017; 08/10/08 08:59 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Unreal. The doom and gloom is getting thick around here. Let's see what comes of this before we end his career over a sliced heel.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
Quote:

On top of that, the chances of him reaggravating this are huge. You expect me to believe that whatever area of his foot this cut is on isn't going to be vulnerable all season? -Give me a break dude, he's done.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Edwards Cuts foot, gets stitches!

Link Copied to Clipboard