Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nas320 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Telling a 9-year old kid he can't pitch cause he's too good?

------------------------------

9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch

By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN, Associated Press Writer
32 minutes ago
Buzz Up
Print
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP)—Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player— too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho’s team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho’s coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn’t quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league’s field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

“He’s never hurt any one,” Vidro said. “He’s on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?”

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

“I feel sad,” he said. “I feel like it’s all my fault nobody could play.”

Jericho’s coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league’s administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

“I think it’s discouraging when you’re telling a 9-year-old you’re too good at something,” said his mother, Nicole Scott. “The whole objective in life is to find something you’re good at and stick with it. I’d rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner.”

League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

“He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower,” Noble said. “There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport.”

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

“Facing that kind of speed” is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho’s mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

“I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho’s mother exhibited Wednesday night,” Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho’s parents Monday to discuss legal options.

“You don’t have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it’s wrong,” he said. “Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?”

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-toogoodtopitch&prov=ap&type=lgns

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
What's it matter? They don't keep score anyway these days

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If I was his parents I'd put him in a league with 11 years olds.

<><

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think we should sign him and bring him up through AAA Buffalo. Is 9 too young?

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
2X,

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
All Pro
All Pro
What a bunch of weak willed pansy people we have nowadays.
LeBron, you're too good, you can't play in the NBA anymore.
What a bunch of crapolla.

We don't wanna hurt little timmy's feelings, he might get bad self esteem that he can't hit off of this guy and he may just load up the gun and kill everybody one day. This is how this stuff starts. People should tell these youngsters to practice and you can hit off of this kid. Don't give these kids self esteem issues.

How in the world can you fix something...
If you don't know how it's supposed to work?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

What a bunch of weak willed pansy people we have nowadays.
LeBron, you're too good, you can't play in the NBA anymore.
What a bunch of crapolla.

We don't wanna hurt little timmy's feelings, he might get bad self esteem that he can't hit off of this guy and he may just load up the gun and kill everybody one day. This is how this stuff starts. People should tell these youngsters to practice and you can hit off of this kid. Don't give these kids self esteem issues.

and playing against this kid is only going to make them better to begin with.. If you face no challenges, you don't advance.. You just settle for what is the status quo. If they can learn to hit off of him, they can hit off of anyone..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
B
Legend
Legend
B
All a part of the "feel good" society.

It doesn't build the esteem of the other kids to strike out all the time.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
They can't just bump him up to the 10-11 age group??

Legend
Legend
Why can't the other brats just suck it up, and try to improve. Damn this world has gone soft.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
They can do that too ... but if this is my son, I'd want to put him in a position where he was challenging himself. Most leagues I've been familiar with bumped kids up to the next level if they were too good for their current age group.

F
Legend
Legend
F
No, because he's 9, that's the 10-11 league. Their one higher.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Why can't the other brats just suck it up, and try to improve. Damn this world has gone soft.

LOL....Yes it has, My dad would have sent me out to face that kid with no helment, and a plastic bat, yelling at me all the way to the plate that moments like this put hair on the nads.....now put the chew back in your mouth and get in the box.

Legend
Legend
We live in the sticks around here. There is only ONE league around here and it's based on age. Hell when I was twelve (all 4"8 and 65 pounds of me) I had to hit against a kid that was already 6'3 220 pounds. I got on base all three times

Hit in the thigh, hip, and head.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Hit in the thigh, hip, and head.

It only hurts until the pain goes away

Legend
Legend
I ain't been right since

Legend
Legend
I was thinking the same thing.. when I was that age there was a kid that was a full foot taller than anybody else and I don't know how fast he threw, but it was signifcantly faster than anybody else... so you crowded the plate, made it tough on him, occassionally you'd have somebody bunt... not to mention in the practices before we faced that kid, our coaches threw much harder in batting practice to get us ready for it...

I'll bet that elsewhere in this league there are kids with batting averages approaching .800 (I know there were in our league)... maybe they are too good too...

yebat' Putin
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I ain't been right since

Ya but you took the 90 MPH fastball to the skull like a man....

Legend
Legend
I can here some of the parents now. "My little Johnny struck out three times, and bruised his ego. He will never make it to the major league if those guys don't let him hit. "

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

when I was that age there was a kid that was a full foot taller than anybody else and I don't know how fast he threw,

when I was that age I played with guy who was 6' 0" 175 pounds, full facial hair, some said he had a tatto of satin on this back....hairy back, we feared this kid, he drove a pick-up truck to the games, alone. We feared him so much we saved our lunch money to give to him for gas...to make sure he left afterwards.

Years later in high school going into my sophmore year of football two a days this kid came out for football and hadnt grown a lick sence 5th grade, he was a nice guy, desent player, and didnt have satin tattoed on his back. we joked about how much we feared him in grade school and than knocked him silly during practice for all the times he made us cry and tramatised us in little leauge.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Quote:

Quote:

when I was that age there was a kid that was a full foot taller than anybody else and I don't know how fast he threw,

when I was that age I played with guy who was 6' 0" 175 pounds, full facial hair, some said he had a tatto of satin on this back....hairy back, we feared this kid, he drove a pick-up truck to the games, alone. We feared him so much we saved our lunch money to give to him for gas...to make sure he left afterwards.

Years later in high school going into my sophmore year of football two a days this kid came out for football and hadnt grown a lick sence 5th grade, he was a nice guy, desent player, and didnt have satin tattoed on his back. we joked about how much we feared him in grade school and than knocked him silly during practice for all the times he made us cry and tramatised us in little leauge.

He must really like that fabric to get a tattoo of SATIN on his back. If it were me, I would've never got in the box against him.

[Linked Image from ps3gc.com]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I can here some of the parents now. "My little Johnny struck out three times, and bruised his ego. He will never make it to the major league if those guys don't let him hit. "

I didn't know they played baseball in Conn. I thought they just played Soccer.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

That made me LOL, but it's just about true. I'm 29 and when I was in little league there was a trophy for 1st and 2nd place. (Out of 14 teams) Now if a team takes 8th place they get a trophy that are the same size as the first place trophy.

When I played we had enough players on the team for feild a team and have a couple back ups. The back up players didn't always play. Now everyone must bat once and feild once.

All in the name of not wanting to hurt someone's ego. I don't like that, kids need to learn how to cope with disapointment as well as success.

My dad would of put me up against that kid. If I struck out every time he probably would of had me out in the back yard later and pitched me a few.

Hell one time we went to a wrestling tournament and there was no one in my weight class that signed up. (85lb). The closest was 110lb and there were two kids in there and dad who was an assistant coach at the time was able to get me to wrestle against them in a round robin, I took 2nd.

But the flip side, if I was this 9yo, my dad would of had me with the 10-11yo's to challenge me with people more my talent level.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I can't imagine walking up to my Dad and saying, Dad I don't want to play, that kid throws to hard. Its gotta be the parents.

All Pro
All Pro
I'd wanna step up to the plate against that kid. Odds are I'll strike out, but I would like that chance. What if I got a hit on him, I would have full blown confidence and if I struck out, hey, I gave it my best. Maybe I'll get him next at bat. That's what these kids should be doing, but their parents are to wussified and soft and don't want to hurt their little childs feelings.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Aren't you supposed to be rewarded for excellence.

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
All Pro
All Pro
Not anymore in this day and age, you're rewarded for participation.
Sad.

G
All Pro
All Pro
G
Here's a similar story - unbelievable...

http://m.wkyc.com/news.jsp?key=50194&rc=lo

BEACHWOOD -- Karen Carmen is the woman at the center of the storm over political correctness here.

Carmen is the director of community services for the City of Beachwood and made the decision to cancel the kids All-Star baseball game this year.

An interoffice recreation department memo issued in the City of Beachwood says, "Based on research and child development studies, almost every advocacy association#affiliated with Youth Sports Development has recommended All-Star games be abolished from leagues."

Carmen told Channel 3 News, "You know it sounds a little extreme, but it's the whole thing where you are segregating players. This is not good for kid's self esteem if they are excluded from being an All-Star."

Across Beachwood, parents have been buzzing about the controversy.

"This is silly," Jodi Appell said. "You don't cancel gifted programs because you have kids who excel above the curriculum.

"Now the All-Star kids aren't going to play. What about those kids who worked so hard and are higher achievers? Why punish them?"

Ellen Buchner said, "Absolutely they should play the All-Star game. Our kids did when they were growing up. It's a wonderful tradition."

Ellen's husband, Marc, agreed.

"This is not cruel to kids who aren't picked," he said. "It's only cruel if the parents don't handle it well."

John Davis, 12, said, "During the season, these guys played good. So they should be on the All-Star team."

The All-Star cancellation was the hot button on WTAM talk radio in Cleveland. The phone lines lit up all morning long on the Bob Frantz show.

"How does Jimmy making the All-Star team suck the enjoyment of the recreational aspect of it for Jeff?" Frantz asked his listeners. "This is political correctness gone crazy. Everybody has different skill sets and what's wrong with that?"

The kids All-Star game is benched for 2008. However, it could be back in the lineup for next year because Beachwood city leaders have been getting so many calls.

Said Carmen, "We do plan to revisit this whole issue and be responsive to what the residents tell us."

L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

Quote:

That made me LOL, but it's just about true. I'm 29 and when I was in little league there was a trophy for 1st and 2nd place. (Out of 14 teams) Now if a team takes 8th place they get a trophy that are the same size as the first place trophy.

When I played we had enough players on the team for feild a team and have a couple back ups. The back up players didn't always play. Now everyone must bat once and feild once.

All in the name of not wanting to hurt someone's ego. I don't like that, kids need to learn how to cope with disapointment as well as success.

My dad would of put me up against that kid. If I struck out every time he probably would of had me out in the back yard later and pitched me a few.

Hell one time we went to a wrestling tournament and there was no one in my weight class that signed up. (85lb). The closest was 110lb and there were two kids in there and dad who was an assistant coach at the time was able to get me to wrestle against them in a round robin, I took 2nd.

But the flip side, if I was this 9yo, my dad would of had me with the 10-11yo's to challenge me with people more my talent level.

kinda reminds me of "meet the fockers" lol..." i didn't know they handed out ribbons for 8th place" lol

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Complete Freaking Idiots.
Her intentions may have been virtuous, but her thought process was completely and totally FUBAR.

And those child development studies and advocacy groups, etc, etc... are all morons.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Whats next Everybody that works in the good old USA will be paid the exact amount of money, get the same benefits, and work the same hours. I mean we don't want anybody to feel bad because a brain surgeon makes more than a cashier.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Carmen told Channel 3 News, "You know it sounds a little extreme, but it's the whole thing where you are segregating players. This is not good for kid's self esteem if they are excluded from being an All-Star."

But you aren't segregating them based on color or religion or weight or money... you are segregating them based on their ability to play the game they signed up to play. The same way life is going to segregate them for rest of their lives. Imagine how some of these kids are going to feel when they get a more competitive level, like high school, and they get cut because they suck... I guess it's best for them to find out that way...

I haven't coached little league in a few years but when my son was 7, we had an all-star game and were directed by the league to put 2 kids on the all-star team. The other coach and I deliberated on how to do this.. we both had kids on the team so it would have been easy for us to pick our own kids and both were in the top 4 but there were 2 other kids that deserved consideration.. we really didn't know what to do because we didn't want to unnecessarily exclude our own kids but we didn't want to appear to be showing favoratism either... so I came up with an idea. WE ASKED THE KIDS. We gave each kid a piece of paper and told them to write down the names of the two kids they thought were most deserving of playing in the all-star game... and you know what? They handled it. Not one single kid on the team voted for himself and in the end, the top 4 that we had in mind, were the top 4 vote getters but we ended up with 2 that THE TEAM selected. And to the best of my knowledge, none of the kids from that team are in need of therapy over it.

Kids are a hell of a lot stronger and more aware than these dimwits want to think they are...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I guess the people who did those studies ignored the other studies that showed that people who were sheltered from failures as children (so as not to destroy their fragile self-esteem) ... grew up to be even worse as adults ... because they didn't know how to handle failure, and just expected promotions to be handed to them for mediocrity.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

I dont necessarily think it's the kids' ego that's bruised. Parents now-a-days think that if their kids succeed (or dont not succeed in this case), they are successful raising their children.

There are no sacred cows.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

Kids are a hell of a lot stronger ...

Which is absolutely correct! Not necessarily stronger, although i think the adjective applies somewhat, but more resilient! They can deal with let downs, bad times, etc much easier than adults can. Adults will dwell on the bad, and give little time thinking about the good. A child can be told they didn't make the team because there were 9 or ten other children were better. Sure they might cry, but you explain to them that they can be on the team next year, and you can help them achieve it. It is better to fail, make yourself better, try again, and achieve your original goal than to tell a child it's ok to mediocre and not try in anything.

There are no sacred cows.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

I guess the people who did those studies ignored the other studies that showed that people who were sheltered from failures as children (so as not to destroy their fragile self-esteem) ... grew up to be even worse as adults ... because they didn't know how to handle failure, and just expected promotions to be handed to them for mediocrity.

Amen. Every week that goes by that I don't fail at something is a bad week - it means I'm not pushing myself. I've raised my son the same way, and am raising my daughter that way as well.

Failing at something is learning something. Doing the same thing over and over and succeeding is selling yourself short. In my mind, anyway.

Legend
Legend
Every time you fail, you've actually succeded in finding another way that doesn't work.

It's called learning and growing; and by not allowing kids to fail just so that we can protect their precious feelings and self-images, we are destroying them.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I will never forget the day when my son was 7 or 8 and we were walking away from the ball field after a game with two other parents in front of us and my son said, "Well, I guess I played a pretty good game." and I responded simply, "No you didn't." The other two parents turned to look at me with looks of utter horror on their faces.. I expected one of them to take out the cell phone and call social services that instant... then I explained to him that he struck out in 2 of his 3 at bats, popped up the other time and failed to field 3 or the 4 balls that were hit his way... and, I told him, you are better than that. I told him he had a bad game, everybody has a bad game, and he'll get 'em next time... Next game he was 3 for 3 and did well in the field and I told him he had a great game... both games we went for ice cream. ... he understood that I wasn't going to lie to him, I was going to be honest... not insulting or overly critical, but honest.

yebat' Putin
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Quote:

totally agree with this one. My 9 year old son played in a kid pitch league this past summer for the first time, and he struck out the first several times he was at bat.

Know what? This motivated him to get better. We went to a batting cage several times, he spent extra time working with our coach, and all of a sudden he was able to handle the pitching just fine.

I think it's so ridiculous that this kid can't play with other kids his own age. And one other thought - just because he pitches so well, doesn't mean he fields well, bats well etc... It really seems that our society encourages mediocrity by doing stupid stuff like this.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It really seems that our society encourages mediocrity by doing stupid stuff like this.

Our society, more and more, caters to the lowest common denominator. Rather than hold up the gifted kids, encouraging them to make the most of their gift, and using them as examples to other kids, we try to hide them in the interest of everybody elses self esteem... it's really ass-backwards.

What if the gifted pitcher is actually a mediocre trumpet player? If one of the kids he strikes out all the time is a gifted trumpet player, should they not let him take band for fear of making the pitcher feel bad?

For some reason these people get all weirded out about "competition"... now I don't know about any of y'all but in our neighborhood, especially among the boys, EVERYTHING is a competition...

yebat' Putin
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum This is sad: 9-year-old boy told he’s too good to pitch

Link Copied to Clipboard