Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#306418 09/05/08 10:56 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I'm writing this with a little bewilderment in my mind.
For the past couple weeks, or even since training camp, I've noticed that many are down on Wright. I hear a lot of compliments being payed to McDonald, but can't help noticing people putting Wright down. I don't get it.
Last year he was surprisingly good for a rookie. He work hard and showed his off field problems of the past were just that, from the past. I thought he surpassed most expectations the fans had for him. Now while reading threads about the defense, I've actually seen people say he sucks. IMO this is not justified.
I know he struggled in the preseason some, but I can't for the life of me, see why many are down on him. I really feel with more experience, both he and McDonald can be a good tandem.
Anybody got an answer for me?

#gmstrong
E.Ryze19 #306419 09/05/08 11:06 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I've noticed the same thing, and I am glad you started this thread. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

It's become a popular thing to say that Wright will never be anything more than solid and that McDonald is a Pro Bowler in waiting. It's like a flavor of the month thing. It becomes so popular that people just keep saying it over and over again. 90% of the people don't even know why they are saying it. They just know that other people are saying it too so it must be true.

Here's a couple of others: 'The Browns window is now' ... and 'BE is not a deep threat'... those are two of my personal favs.

People are excited because McDonald played well last year when he got his chance. We are so starving for the next great thing, we'll make it great before it's even close. When we drafted Wright, we finally had a shut-down corner. Now the guy's chopped liver.

I don't get it.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
AdManager #306420 09/05/08 11:08 PM
A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A
I thought he played amazing near the end of the season last year, better than Bodden for sure. The last eight games or so he really improved. I am not down on him at all, I think this year eh will really shine and come into his own. I think in a few years he will be a pro bowl player.

"I only had a couple of weeks to train, but I'm glad it happened because it gave me a chance to be a Browns player," Bell said.
Rishuz #306421 09/05/08 11:12 PM
A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A
Quote:

I've noticed the same thing, and I am glad you started this thread. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

It's become a popular thing to say that Wright will never be anything more than solid and that McDonald is a Pro Bowler in waiting. It's like a flavor of the month thing. It becomes so popular that people just keep saying it over and over again. 90% of the people don't even know why they are saying it. They just know that other people are saying it too so it must be true.

You forgot that Andra Davis isn't a good player, consistently out of place on defense and only makes tackles 5 yards down field...

Or how when Bell was drafted, finally some much needed toughness on the defense! Now because he hasn't played people say he is slow and can't learn the defense...

Last edited by AndraDavis 4 MVP; 09/05/08 11:13 PM.

"I only had a couple of weeks to train, but I'm glad it happened because it gave me a chance to be a Browns player," Bell said.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

You forgot that Andra Davis isn't a good player, consistently out of place on defense and only makes tackles 5 yards down field...

Completely different debate...mostly because what you said is true.

Wright always has had more talent hat McDonald. It's just that McDonald had more talent that we previously thought he had.

you had a good run Hank.
Rishuz #306423 09/05/08 11:18 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Why is Brandon McDonald the guy we are matched-up on TO, I thought Wright was our number one?

Quote:

Browns CB Brandon McDonald vs. Cowboys WR Terrell Owens

This Cowboys offense is loaded with talented weapons, but none are more dangerous than Owens, who's still one of the league's most dominant receivers entering his 13th professional season. He can go deep, catch short passes underneath and turn them into big games and is strong enough to fight off double teams in jump ball situations.

McDonald is half of the Browns' talented but green pair of second-year starters at cornerback. He worked his way from a special teams player to a starter at the end of last season and performed very well in clutch spots. He worked hard all spring and summer to prepare himself for the 2008 season and specifically this game, which may provide his biggest challenge yet.

**From the main site**

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't know why people keep harping on that match up unless the plan is to always have McDonald follow Owens ... else him and Wright each play a side and will guard who ever is on their side.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
K
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
K
Wright is not matched up on T.O. because Brandon is the more physical corner for the physical WR, at least that's how i thought of it.

Go Browns!
knarf554 #306426 09/06/08 01:33 AM
A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A
EW is on the right side while BM is on the right side or the toher way around and they dont move based on where a WR lines up.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Yea, I just read an article on the main site about it.

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
E.Ryze19 #306428 09/06/08 07:19 AM
Legend
Legend
We could have Champ Bailey, and people wouldn't be satisfied.. lol.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
E.Ryze19 #306429 09/06/08 07:52 AM
2nd String
2nd String
At least for me, it's not that I am down on Eric Wright so much as I am high on McDonald. BM seems to have the 'it' factor. He seems to be in the right place at the right time. He is the type of corner that will have decent numbers each year in terms of interceptions. EW just doesn't seem to be that type of corner. Crennel seems to be questionning him at this point as well. This was in the Peter King article posted on the board.

"Both men wished they had such a solution for the secondary. "We need them to grow up," Crennel said of the defensive backs, with a hint of resignation in his voice. "I hope Monday's a wake-up call for Eric, because in this league they're going to keep coming at you."

E.Ryze19 #306430 09/06/08 08:06 AM
Legend
Legend
I don't think many dislike the way that Wright plays,, but most understand that he's a second year guy who just hasn't blossomed yet..

For me, I'm confident he'll be a solid CB for years.. I don't know if he'll ever be a Top 5 guy, but it's not necessary to have one of those.. just a guy that does his job.. and I think Wright is that guy..

My concern as I think many on here, is depth behind Wright and McDonald...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Heat33 #306431 09/06/08 08:49 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

"Both men wished they had such a solution for the secondary. "We need them to grow up," Crennel said of the defensive backs, with a hint of resignation in his voice. "I hope Monday's a wake-up call for Eric, because in this league they're going to keep coming at you."

I imagine that this was said after the Giants game where he got absolutely domminated by Hixon.

I'm sure that Wright understands that they're going to keep coming, he started every game last year......... What i'm worried about is a sophmore slump out of both the guys, I understand that the preseason is just that, but these guys are very important to our defense and they've gotta be on their A-Game.

Wright doesn't get recognized for his sure tackling ability, and I just think that McDonald is the flavor of the week right now. I defnitely have more faith in EW. What I'm worried about is Brodney Pool, he's gotta come back to complete our secondary. His instincts might be lacking, but he is much better than anything we have back there. I don't get why we don't get John Lynch or something because we need something better than Mike Adams or Nick Sorensen or whatever

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

EW is on the right side while BM is on the right side or the toher way around and they dont move based on where a WR lines up.

While that is true, the #1 receiver usually lines up on the right side of the QB so the quarterback is looking right at him. My guess is that McDonald is going to be on that side, so he will be covering TO.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
isnt' Lynch a strong safety? I thought he was, and Pools in more a Free safety even though both our guys are supposed to be interchangeable, i still veiw Sean as Strong and Pool as Free.

Secondly does Lynch still have the speed? he has now been cut from two teams hasn't he. big red flag

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
RocDawg #306434 09/06/08 11:01 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lynch is a Free Safety.

E.Ryze19 #306435 09/06/08 01:47 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've been critical of Wright, but only on the field. IMO he has been a model citizen off the field and is demonstrating maturity and class. I'd be shocked if character issues ever came up again.

On the field:

I thought Wright got away with a lot of bad defense last year. He was very often beaten and tried to make up for it by facegaurding and swatting blindly. I felt he could have been called for PI several times. Not a shock for a rookie but hardly what you want out of your #1 CB.

I'm not sure how the refs are supposed to call faceguarding - I think the rule has been changed a few times and may not even be specified in the book anymore- but covering premier WR's with your back to the ball rarely works.

Maybe he'll improve this year but assuming so is just being wishfull. In the preseason he looked much as he did last year.

To compare Wright with other starting CB's , I doubt he'd start for very many teams that were decent at CB.

Gift Horse #306436 09/06/08 03:12 PM
R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
I for one agree.
I am not a pessimist at all, but I just don't see the great playing of either Wright or McDonald that everyone else sees.
They are constantly giving a 10 yard cushion to all receivers and allowing the other teams to dink and dunk all the way down the field.
When they do press or play man to man they seem to get burnt.
They seem to each give up a big play or two a game.
I just don't get all of the love they are given like the are the next Dixon and Minnifield combination, and I am a homer to the fullest extent when it comes to the Browns.

E.Ryze19 #306437 09/06/08 03:32 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't consider either one to be better or worse than the other. I do think that one's strength is the other's weakness.

I think that Eric has a higher ceiling. I think he's more athletic, fluid, and faster than McDonald, but I think McDonald's awareness and instincts are leaps and bounds ahead of Wright at this point.

However, I think when Wright's light bulb finally turns on with the mental aspect of the game, he will become a very good corner.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Gift Horse #306438 09/06/08 04:18 PM
Legend
Legend
He was a rookie last year,, don't we give guys any breaks in thier first year? Just wondering.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #306439 09/06/08 04:47 PM
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Eric Wright to me plays too soft of coverage even last year theres no way you should be playing that far off and getting beat and toasted deep (giants game) at least with Mcdonald he might get beat from time to time but at least he is going to be physical and wear down the reciever. Knock on wood but I trust McDonald with TO more than E-Wright

thrilla81 #306440 09/06/08 04:56 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Eric Wright to me plays too soft of coverage even last year theres no way you should be playing that far off and getting beat and toasted deep (giants game) at least with Mcdonald he might get beat from time to time but at least he is going to be physical and wear down the reciever. Knock on wood but I trust McDonald with TO more than E-Wright

Statements like this are amusing since we haven't really seen McDonald play all that much ... a partial season. Yet people talk about him like they know exactly what we are getting and what type of player he is ... like he's been in the league 4 or 5 years ... baffling, just baffling ...

Rishuz #306441 09/06/08 05:15 PM
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
I agree we have not seen much/not enough of McDonald

but what have we really seen of Wright last year he played against 2nd and 3rd recievers and was solid but not spectacular he got roughed up by Pittsburgh and Cincinnati recievers imagine against TO

E.Ryze19 #306442 09/06/08 05:29 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Guys.......

We played Cover 4 and Cover 3 exclusively in the preseason. What that means is that our outside CBs have deep responsibility. That opens up throws in front of them but prevents throws over the top.

The only problem I had with Wright all preseason is he let Hixon get behind him. It looked to me that he was peeking, looking for a possible INT on a shallow route and let the Giants receiver get behind him. He lost his responsibility to gamble, and got burnt and had to tackle the guy.

Other than that both Wright and McDonald have played fine.

Expect to see some Cover 2, where they get safety help tomorrow, and some bump man. Remember that preseason is vanilla and Cover 4 is our base defense.

[Linked Image]
Heldawg #306443 09/06/08 06:06 PM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Guys.......

We played Cover 4 and Cover 3 exclusively in the preseason. What that means is that our outside CBs have deep responsibility. That opens up throws in front of them but prevents throws over the top.

The only problem I had with Wright all preseason is he let Hixon get behind him. It looked to me that he was peeking, looking for a possible INT on a shallow route and let the Giants receiver get behind him. He lost his responsibility to gamble, and got burnt and had to tackle the guy.

Other than that both Wright and McDonald have played fine.

Expect to see some Cover 2, where they get safety help tomorrow, and some bump man. Remember that preseason is vanilla and Cover 4 is our base defense.

Absolutely. It's the called defense. Not the Corner.

People who have jumped ship on Wright are basing it on what they've seen in the preseason. This guy has a crapload of talent. McDonald does too.

We need to stop dissin' our secondary already. The only difference from last year(where everyone was pretty excited about the corners) is that Bodden is gone. Bodden, who can't snatch a starting job in Corner-rich Detroit.

We are fine at corner.

Rishuz #306444 09/06/08 08:14 PM
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Here's a couple of others: 'The Browns window is now' ... and 'BE is not a deep threat'... those are two of my personal favs.

Or how about 'Winslow is a cancer. Hes not a team player'

Im glad I dont have to hear that any more.

E.Ryze19 #306445 09/06/08 09:47 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Frankly, I haven't been impressed by either one of them lately, and don't understand all the hype. I see it as nothing more than fan fever based on spotty decent play and potential. I suffered from it as well at the end of last season, but further review and recent play seems to indicate (to me) that they are two, smallish, unproven corners that have yet to be matched up consistently against premiere receivers. When I see either one or both of them shut down some top talent, then I'll get that warm fuzzy feeling. Until then, I expect our corners to be torched repeatedly until they learn their jobs. I don't like it, but I certainly won't be shocked by it.

JMHO

I read that they will not switch sides, that they'll both cover T.O. depending on which side he's on.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Gift Horse #306446 09/06/08 10:35 PM
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

I thought Wright got away with a lot of bad defense last year. He was very often beaten and tried to make up for it by facegaurding and swatting blindly.

- but covering premier WR's with your back to the ball rarely works.

Maybe he'll improve this year but assuming so is just being wishfull. In the preseason he looked much as he did last year.

Im glad someone else is finally talking about this. Wright always has his back to the QB and plays the defender reacting to the ball. His pass interferance in the Giants preseason game was a perfect example. I commented on this a few times between the Giants game and last year and nobody else seemed to notice.

I will be taking notice if the premier CBs in this league have their back to the QB as much as Wright. Im not sure if the way Wright plays defense or if he was taught to do that in Cleveland, but Ive never noticed other Browns defenders doing this.

I havnt seen enough of McDonald to see any negatives or positives. But in his limited time on the field he does seem like hes in the right place at the right time. Not a bad tackler either.

thrilla81 #306447 09/07/08 09:16 AM
Legend
Legend
Thrilla,, at some point, you may turn out to be right,, I'm not ready to agree with you about Wright yet. Give him time..

Jury is out on McDonald.. I like what I see so far, but we really haven't seen much... again, give him time.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #306448 09/07/08 09:20 AM
Legend
Legend
So.... if McDonald really turns into a real player... do we start calling him Big Mac?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
LOL, Lovin' it

If he gets a lot of picks, we could call him the hamburgerler
the football is a pigskin = ham get it

Last edited by RocDawg; 09/07/08 09:28 AM.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So.... if McDonald really turns into a real player... do we start calling him Big Mac?

If he turns out to be a real player,, I'll call him anything he wants me too

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #306451 09/07/08 10:56 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Even "Daddy"?