Print Thread
A
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Titans | Team believes Young has a torn MCL
Sun, 7 Sep 2008 18:51:05 -0700 KFFL.com

The Associated Press reports the Tennessee Titans believe QB Vince Young (knee) has a torn medial collateral ligament that will sideline him two to four weeks, according to the NFL Network's Adam Schefter. Young is expected to undergo an MRI Monday, Sept. 7, to see if the original diagnosis is confirmed.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
its still that Madden Curse. cripes

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
M
1st String
1st String
M
I sure hate to see Vy get hurt. I love his leadership qualities and the passion that he used to play with at UT. Have not seen much of him in the NFL, but I near that he is having trouble. There will alway be a soft spot for VY....That whole Rose Bowl deal was pretty special. Get well soon VY.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Were not the only team that ends up having key players injured.

The good teams over come these types of injuries,

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think the Titans might be better off with this injury, they seem to run better on offense when Collins is the QB.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Good luck Vince....I tore mine last October and what should have been 6 weeks out turned into 12... I know I an 10-15 years older and don't have the time or resources he has - but its not a fun injury. Would rather have completely ripped it off and had to have surgery.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree.

[Linked Image]
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
QBs are dropping like flies! I really hate to see it; I wish the NFL could go into the Options menu and turn injuries off!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"One man's Bum is another man's Hobo" - Waterdawg
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think the Titans might be better off with this injury, they seem to run better on offense when Collins is the QB.

You must be joking. I moved to Austin for a job so i really dislike the Longhorns, but there's no way they're better with Collins. There is no other QB in the league who has the ability to WILL his team to victory that he does.

The Titans were a 10-win team in the AFC South last year? And they're better without VY? No way.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I, unfortunately, live in Titan country so I have the pleasure of seeing the Titans almost every week.

VY has been horrendous in preseason and didn't look all that good in the game on Sunday. I believe they altered his throwing motion (could be wrong) and I know they made him change his footwork. VY was 26-58 for 273 and 1 int in the preseason. He was 12-22 for 110 1 td and 2 ints yesterday in that game. He's not the right QB for Mike Heimerdinger's offense. Collins fits that offense better than VY does. The offense seems to function better than when VY is in there.

Don't get me wrong VY is a great athlete and football player, he's not a great QB though.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

The Titans were a 10-win team in the AFC South last year? And they're better without VY? No way.

Theyre good becuase of their defense, not Vince Young... Did you not hear that Vince Young almost stopped playing because he threw interceptions and didnt want to go back on the field?

Their defense and run game is why they win, nothing else.

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

PRO-BOWLER!
All Pro
All Pro
from nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80aabd66&template=with-video&confirm=true

Quote:

News Main E-mail

Posted: 40 minutes ago
Titans' Young located after friends, team express concern

Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Vince Young is awaiting an MRI exam on his sprained left knee Tuesday, hours after the Tennessee Titans sought police help in finding the quarterback the team described as "emotionally down."

Young's agent said Tuesday afternoon there was no need for concern because the quarterback was at a friend's house watching football and eating chicken wings.

"When people were worried about him, I was on the phone talking to him," agent Major Adams said. "I didn't know there was any confusion about where he was as if he was missing or whatever. He just said, 'Hey, I'm over here watching the game.' ... Then I start getting all these frantic calls."

Adams spoke while on his way to learn the test results on Young's knee.

Young left his home around 7 p.m. Monday without a phone, prompting the Titans to call Nashville police for help. The team got a message to Young through a friend, and the quarterback met with coach Jeff Fisher and police at team headquarters around 11:30 p.m. Police spokesman Don Aaron said Young drove himself home about 30 minutes later.

"Ultimately, it appears the initial concerns about his emotional state were unfounded," Aaron said Tuesday. "But no one actually knew that until he was spoken to face to face."

Aaron also said Young had an unloaded handgun in the glovebox of his car. Tennessee law permits unloaded firearms in vehicles as long as no ammunition is present.

Young injured his knee late in Sunday's 17-10 win over Jacksonville and was booed heavily by fans.

"Given the totality of the circumstances, the fact that Young had been emotionally down all day, Coach Fisher contacted the police department and asked for help in finding him to check on his emotional well-being," Aaron said.

The Titans said people close to Young called the team Monday night, concerned about his state of mind when he left his home.

"He was located at a friend's house, where we made contact with him. He then came to the practice facility where it was determined that those initial concerns by his friends and family were unfounded, and he returned home without incident," the Titans said in a statement.

Young's MRI exam was rescheduled for Tuesday from Monday with no explanation. Fisher said Monday if the injury is a third-degree MCL sprain, Young probably would miss a couple weeks and not be 100 percent for up to four weeks.

Veteran Kerry Collins is the only other quarterback on the roster, but the Titans worked out Quinn Gray on Tuesday. The team also was looking at QB Joey Harrington and a handful of receivers, including Glenn Martinez and Chad Jackson.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

weird. you would think a team would give a guy a little bit of time to get back to them before calling the cops......

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
Legend
Legend
Considering, like someone said before, that Young had considered leaving the game just because he wasn't doing well, they probably have some pretty serious concerns about his mental stability.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
G
All Pro
All Pro
G
http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/SPORTS01/80909129/1002/SPORTS

Young’s mother says Titans QB needs ‘love and support’

By JIM WYATT • Staff Writer • September 9, 2008

Felicia Young has seen her son experience the ups and downs that go with being a football star.

On Monday night, she saw 25-year-old Vince Young sink to his lowest point. It ended with Coach Jeff Fisher calling Metro Police to search for her son for over four hours, and opened the biggest window yet into the emotional and troubled side of the Titans quarterback.
Advertisement

A psychologist was among those who met with Young at his Brentwood home on Monday, and what she concluded and told team officials led to a bizarre, 24-hour period that ended just after midnight Tuesday morning. That’s when Fisher met with Young and police at Baptist Sports Park.

Felicia Young said her son has grown weary of all the negativity he faces as an NFL star. On Monday, he indicated to those around him he didn’t want to play football any more.

“Vince has gone through a whole lot as a young person,’’ Felicia Young said. “And I think he has done pretty well up to this point. But it is hard, all he is going through right now. He’s hurting inside and out.

“But he will be fine if people are prayerful and help my baby boy out. He is a young man. He just needs a lot of love and support.’’

When the frantic search for Young ended, Fisher and the Titans said the incident had been blown out of proportion. So did some of Young’s friends and family.

But the events that led up to it all — and the fact Fisher called police — showed just how much concern the team has regarding the mental state of Young, who suffered a left knee injury in Sunday’s season opening win over the Jaguars. Young opted not to get an MRI of the knee on Monday; an MRI on Tuesday revealed he has a sprained MCL that could keep him out anywhere from 2-4 weeks.

The Titans, meanwhile, were making plans to go on without him.

“In a major city police department we have calls like this all the time about people who fear for their loved ones … the difference here being Vince Young’s notoriety,’’ Metro Police spokesman Don Aaron said. “When the police department gets such calls, you have to take them seriously. You never know how these issues will ultimately turn out. The concerns of (Monday) night appear to be unfounded.’’

Call for help

The Titans had concerns about Young even before late Monday night.

After Young balked at having the MRI on Monday, Fisher went out and talked to him at his Brentwood home, spending over an hour with him. The Titans also sent a psychologist, Dr. Sheila Peters, and Tina Tuggle, the team’s Director of Player Development, to meet with Young to try and encourage him.

The psychologist said Young was extremely depressed and expressed concerns to the team about Young’s safety. Later, Young left the house and sped off in his Mercedes Benz without his cell phone. He couldn’t be found for some time, which prompted a phone call to Fisher.

Fisher then called police, who began searching for Young. When Young was finally tracked down, he met with Fisher and police at Baptist Sports Park and eventually went home.

“The people that are closest to Vince inform(ed) us that he had left his house in a state of mind that had them concerned; and that he was unreachable, having left his cell phone at the house,’’ Fisher said in a statement. “(Later) it was determined that those initial concerns by his friends and family were unfounded and he returned home without incident.’’

According to police, Young had a handgun in the glove compartment of his vehicle, but it was not loaded and Aaron said officers had no concerns about Young trying to harm himself. Young was not charged with any crime because it’s not a violation of the law in Tennessee to transport an unloaded firearm with no ammunition in a motor vehicle.

“The fact the gun was in the glove compartment and was unloaded did not present an issue for the officers,’’ Aaron said. “There was no ammunition in the car. The gun was unloaded. The slide was back in a safe position, and it was in the glove box.’’

Young’s whereabouts

A friend of Young’s said on Tuesday the quarterback was with him watching Monday Night Football in Steve McNair’s office in Nashville when police were searching for Young, and neither had any idea anyone was looking for him. Earlier, the two had stopped by Nuttin’ but Wings on Jefferson Street and exchanged autographs for free wings, Raymond White said.

“We sat around watching football and eating chicken wings,’’ said White “Everything was fine. There was no problem.’’

Agent Major Adams, who represents Young, said on Tuesday the quarterback was shocked at all the attention the story generated on Tuesday.

“He understands that people care about him and all that; that is the good part of it,’’ Adams said. “But to have it all blow up like it was … Vince feels like he can’t go anywhere without people knowing where he is 24 hours a day. That’s the only negative part of it. He’s fine.’’

Point of no return?

The events of the last 48 hours, however, have clearly left a lasting mark on both Young and the Titans.

On Sunday, before Young was injured against the Jaguars, he initially refused to re-enter the game after throwing an interception and getting booed by fans. His decision to ignore the team’s request for him to have the MRI created even more friction between the player and the team, and indications last night were the Titans have turned the team over to back-up quarterback Kerry Collins.

Even when Young returns from his injury, he might not get his job back.

The Titans believe Young’s injury is one that will keep him out anywhere from 2-4 weeks.

Then there’s the question about whether Young is interested in returning, something he mentioned to those who were with him on Monday.

“What would you think, if you were tired of being ridiculed and persecuted and talked about and not being treated very well, what would you do? What kind of decision would you make?’’ Felicia Young asked. “He may not want to deal with it (all), but you have to get to that point before you make that decision first.

“But we’re not talking about football right now. We’re talking about what would make him happy, and that is the most important thing.

“… You don’t want people to be hurting like he is. But it is a growing-up process, and he will eventually come out like gold no matter what. But Vince is going to be OK. We are just going to try and give him some space.”

Reach Jim Wyatt at 259-8015 or jwyatt@tennessean.com

Wow - sounds like he needs some help. I hope he's OK.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
man, too bad for him. just terrible. i hope he's ok with his millions of dollars, legions of adoring fans, herds of beautiful women, and everything else that goes with being a starting NFL QB for a playoff contender and former OROY. this guy truly has it rough, and he has all my pity; that's for sure. what a rough way to go. i hope he can handle the depression. i know if i was rich and famous, i'd be depressed too.

[Linked Image from s84.photobucket.com] WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I think its rediculous that some people think money solves all problems.

He's a kid obviously struggling with some emotional issues, give him a break. Handing him another signing bonus wont fix them.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Unless you've walked a mile in his shoes, I'd say you don't have any clue about what it takes to be an NFL QB. Judging from your comments, I'd say it appears you don't have a clue about much of anything.

Some guys have the head for this kind of pressure. Others don't. It would appear that VY is a 50-50 proposition in that department at this point in his career. He's a talented football player. I hope he can get this straightened out and get back on track.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
thanks, preacherman. and from your tone, you must know everything. without your moral watchdogery, we'd be lost.

i'm sure i have at least as many problems as this guy, except the tedious task of having to account for such abundant finances. no pity from me. he got booed. whah, whah. go count your money. half the nation is depressed; we're not calling the cops to go make sure they're all okay.

[Linked Image from s84.photobucket.com] WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!WOOF!
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

thanks, preacherman. and from your tone, you must know everything. without your moral watchdogery, we'd be lost.

You're welcome, my son...

I've never been an NFL QB, so I don't claim to know anything about what he's been through. However, to belittle the guy because he's struggling through some things (both physically and mentally, so it seems) shows absolutely no class whatsoever. But hey, to each his own, so have at it sport.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

half the nation is depressed; we're not calling the cops to go make sure they're all okay.

no....many post on message boards and make moronic comments.

Maybe you need to go to church this weekend.

Really

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

It has to be a bit of rough spot to be in considering he probably went all his life being pretty successful at football and only now is struggling.

I mean to say that he probably never had to deal with the boos and the hurdles he is facing now and since he has no experience in dealing with that type of adversity it compounds upon the pressure of being a franchise QB.

He doesn't have to be a franchise QB all his life, but he does have to be Vince Young and I hope he has a strong support network to see him through.

All Pro
All Pro
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ab99e5&template=with-video&confirm=true

Quote:

Titans' Young says he is committed to franchise

Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young insists he never wavered in his commitment to football and that all the concern over his mental state was overblown.
Vince Young, QB
Tennessee Titans

Career stats:
Passer rating: 68.3
Passing yards: 4,855
TDs/INTs: 32/51

He says he was upset as he dealt with his first serious injury, and he didn't realize he had to tell his mother where he was going anymore.

Then the media went overboard.

Young spoke publicly Thursday for the first time since Titans coach Jeff Fisher called police for help in locating the quarterback Monday night. Fisher had concerns over Young's emotional well-being.

His mother, Felicia Young, also told a local newspaper that the quarterback had indicated he didn't want to play football anymore because of all the negativity he faced.

"I was never depressed," Young said.

He took questions from reporters for 16 minutes after watching his teammates practice. His message? Don't question his commitment.

"Football, this is my life. This is my dream. All I did all these years growing up to get to this point and never had an injury like this before in my life," he said.

"It's a hard time because I'm a competitor, and I definitely want to be out on the football field with my teammates."

Questions about his mental state and attitude started Sunday when Young was booed heavily by fans upset at his second interception, and he appeared as if he didn't want to return to the game. Fisher pulled his headset off and talked to him before the quarterback joined the rest of the offense.

Four plays later, Young sprained his left medial collateral ligament when Jaguars linebacker Daryl Smith crashed into his left knee.

Young didn't go to the Titans' headquarters Monday, and Fisher went to his quarterback's house. The Titans also sent a psychologist and another team official to talk with Young. He was described as being emotionally down. Young said Thursday that lasted half a day and he was upset over his two interceptions.

Fisher told Young to go take the MRI exam needed to determine the extent of the damage to his knee. Young didn't go. But with so many people at his house, Young said, he needed space to think.

"Let the cloud go away for a minute, and that's what I did. I left. My mom seen me; she thought I wasn't in my right mind. At the same time, I was watching the game, watching Aaron Rodgers do his things ... eating some hot wings," Young said.

The quarterback said he didn't realize he had to tell his mother where he was going.

"Even though you're paying your own bills at your own house, you still got to tell your mama where you are going now. So I understand where my mama's coming from. She wanted to know where I'm going because I didn't take my cell phone because so many people were calling me and making sure I'm all right," he said.

Those comments from his mother about his not wanting to play? Young blamed the media.

"She know I don't want to leave football. She knows I love this game. She's the one that put me in this game. I'm here. I'm ready to play, but right now I'm rehabbing," he said.

Young didn't talk about the police waiting for him at the Titans' headquarters when he arrived to talk with Fisher nor what they discussed. He thanked the franchise for being behind him.

As far as his injured knee, Young said only that it is sore and he is working hard to heal up. He won't rush back too soon for fear of aggravating the injury.

The Titans have listed him as out for Sunday's game at Cincinnati.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

loved that championship game he played. hope the guy recovers well. the mama comments were pretty good hehe.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3584636

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans called police for help searching for Vince Young because his therapist told coach Jeff Fisher the quarterback mentioned suicide several times before driving away from his home with a gun.

Both Fisher and Young have said what happened Monday night was overblown by the media. But the supplemental report filed Tuesday by Nashville police showed that Fisher was worried what his quarterback might be doing after the call from Young's therapist.
"I asked him, 'What made her worry about him?' " Lt. Andrea Swisher wrote. "He stated, 'His mood, his emotions, he wants to quit, and he mentioned suicide several times.' He went on to state that he left the house with a gun."

The Titans declined to comment on details of the report.

ESPN obtained a copy of the report on Friday.

The Titans' head of security notified police around 7:30 p.m. that he had a player "going off," and Fisher was in his truck when he saw Nashville police writing a report on a separate incident.

Young's manager, Mike Mu, told police he had tried to follow Young when the quarterback left his home. But Mu said he couldn't keep up with Young on Interstate 65 despite driving 90 mph.

Fisher connected police with Young's therapist, Sheila Peters, a clinical psychologist who had met with Young earlier Monday. It was then that Young used the word suicide in conversations with her.

During the search for Young, Peters arranged for an evaluation by employees from a psychiatric hospital in Nashville. Then Fisher heard from Young's agent that the quarterback was safe and at an apartment with a female friend.

The agent, Major Adams, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Young had been watching football and eating chicken wings with a male friend during the four hours people were searching for the quarterback.

Police arranged for crisis negotiators and SWAT officers to be on hand. They searched Young for weapons when he arrived at the Titans' headquarters around 11:30 p.m. They only found an unloaded handgun in the glovebox of his Mercedes.

Tennessee law allows an individual to possess an unloaded weapon provided there is no ammunition with it in the car.

"He was allowed to talk to his therapist and then he was released," the police report stated.

~Lyuokdea
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3584636

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans called police for help searching for Vince Young because his therapist told coach Jeff Fisher the quarterback mentioned suicide several times before driving away from his home with a gun.

Both Fisher and Young have said what happened Monday night was overblown by the media. But the supplemental report filed Tuesday by Nashville police showed that Fisher was worried what his quarterback might be doing after the call from Young's therapist.
"I asked him, 'What made her worry about him?' " Lt. Andrea Swisher wrote. "He stated, 'His mood, his emotions, he wants to quit, and he mentioned suicide several times.' He went on to state that he left the house with a gun."

The Titans declined to comment on details of the report.

ESPN obtained a copy of the report on Friday.

The Titans' head of security notified police around 7:30 p.m. that he had a player "going off," and Fisher was in his truck when he saw Nashville police writing a report on a separate incident.

Young's manager, Mike Mu, told police he had tried to follow Young when the quarterback left his home. But Mu said he couldn't keep up with Young on Interstate 65 despite driving 90 mph.

Fisher connected police with Young's therapist, Sheila Peters, a clinical psychologist who had met with Young earlier Monday. It was then that Young used the word suicide in conversations with her.

During the search for Young, Peters arranged for an evaluation by employees from a psychiatric hospital in Nashville. Then Fisher heard from Young's agent that the quarterback was safe and at an apartment with a female friend.

The agent, Major Adams, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Young had been watching football and eating chicken wings with a male friend during the four hours people were searching for the quarterback.

Police arranged for crisis negotiators and SWAT officers to be on hand. They searched Young for weapons when he arrived at the Titans' headquarters around 11:30 p.m. They only found an unloaded handgun in the glovebox of his Mercedes.

Tennessee law allows an individual to possess an unloaded weapon provided there is no ammunition with it in the car.

"He was allowed to talk to his therapist and then he was released," the police report stated.

I don't think that this has any place in the national sports media. If Vince has problems with depression, and its serious enough to concern therapists and coaches--then I think that should be a private matter. Its absolutely classless for ESPN to go forward with this story.

PS. Nothing against you for posting the story Lyuokdea; I just disagree with whoever decided that this is an appropriate story to run---this is a case where the media just decided they care more about printing a headline than the person that it effects. And its sad.

Last edited by Tyler_Derden; 09/12/08 09:35 PM.

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

I don't think that this has any place in the national sports media. If Vince has problems with depression, and its serious enough to concern therapists and coaches--then I think that should be a private matter. Its absolutely classless for ESPN to go forward with this story.

I agree completely. I mean, what about patient confidentiality?

Hope everything turns out alright for Young, he's always seemed like a good guy.

I want the Cleveland Browns to be my pallbearers so they can let me down for the last time.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ditto... Everyone is really going to look at him differently now. Thats a violation of his privacy!!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
1st String
1st String
I feel bad for Vince. Hope that he can get it all worked out. He is young! Remember that!

June Summertime 2024!
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

Ditto... Everyone is really going to look at him differently now. Thats a violation of his privacy!!

That's what i thought at first.... I guess the therapist is legally obligated to alert authorities if they think a client might be a danger to themselves or others. Probably if it's a team doctor, they are required by their contract to give information to the coach as well.... When Fisher got information from the family, he's obviously worried about Young's life (he walked out with a gun talking about suicide), then he has to alert authorities, and he has to mention the suicide risk...

once it gets in the official police report (i.e. public record), anybody could have read about it, it's only notable because it's a celebrity...

if ESPN hadn't broken the story, a million other smaller sports outlets would have, at least ESPN is authoritative enough to stop speculation, and set the record straight.

~Lyuokdea

~Lyuokdea
Legend
Legend
Quote:

......at least ESPN is authoritative enough to stop speculation, and set the record straight.

Like MTV did for Brittney Spears right?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Titans | Team believes Young has a torn MCL

Link Copied to Clipboard