Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
IDK about you but I've been told every year since that day to remember the fallen of 9/11.

And since both Barack and McCain decided to honor the day together IMO it wasn't made into a politacal issue.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
OnB Offline
Bengal
Bengal
While I hate politics probably even more than you, I think you may be a little off on this one. I remember each year the tv and radio always do a day of rememberance.

Some politicians have probably played on our emotions from the day in other circumstances (which is undoubtedly dispicable), but your comment just doesn't sit well with me. Nothing personal, maybe just the thought of that being true turns my stomach.
I just hate to see this thread turn into a political debate like so many others. I see it as a day to remember and honor with respect those who passed away. And never forget in our egotistical society that we are not invinsable. We are hated and targeted, and need to stand together.

[Linked Image from media.lehighvalleylive.com]
Birds of War
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was in second grade, so at the time it didn't mean a whole lot to me. I remember that throughout the day there were rumors (on a 2nd grade scale) that there was a plane crash or we had been bombed. It depended on who you talked to. Then I remember being glad when Nickelodeon started playing its normal shows again.

I visited Ground zero last summer and it really was special. God bless all those men and women who lost there life that day.

J
Legend
Legend
J
Quote:

I hate to do this... but since most have already posted and have remembered that day. Would like to ask the question of why are we now on the 7th year... not 5th.. not 10th.. etc. being told to remember this day? Might it be because of the upcoming election?? It just goes to show how crappy politics is... A rep or dem was probably sitting in a room a year ago and said, next year we have to make sure we play up Sept 11th to make sure voters sway this way or that way. I officially hate politics.

There is not a year that has gone by that we haven't had this exact same type or rememberance and coverage. Sounds like you are trying to make something out of nothing.

OnB Offline
Bengal
Bengal
It is very interesting to hear different points of view and from people of different age groups. I think we all felt the same mixture of sadness, fear, anger, and confusion.
Its like hearing my parents', aunts', uncles', grandparents' etc accounts from JFK. Everyone was in different places and ages of their lives(and the world), but for that moment they were in the same place. A very sad and solemn place of unity.

These are stories we can tell our grandchildren. Maybe they can grow up with our new-found patriotism without having a 9/11 or Pearl Harbor type disaster in their generation.

[Linked Image from media.lehighvalleylive.com]
Birds of War
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Just clicking on you... replying to you and to those above. I promise its the last thing I'll say in the thread. As I said I was debating wether or not to even put it in here as it kind of degrades it... but to me I see much more this year than those in the past. Like the replaying of Sept 11th on various broadcasts... guess it was an observation only I made.

"I'm a mog. Half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I hate to do this... but since most have already posted and have remembered that day. Would like to ask the question of why are we now on the 7th year... not 5th.. not 10th.. etc. being told to remember this day? Might it be because of the upcoming election?? It just goes to show how crappy politics is... A rep or dem was probably sitting in a room a year ago and said, next year we have to make sure we play up Sept 11th to make sure voters sway this way or that way. I officially hate politics.

I'm pretty sure it has been a fairly big deal EVERY YEAR since it happened. I think your speculation that this has anything to do with an election year is unfounded.

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I think we all felt the same mixture of sadness, fear, anger, and confusion.

I felt all those emotions, but the sadness and the anger stay with me ... I can't erase this one picture from my mind of a man and a woman holding hands in an open window before they jumped to their deaths rather than burning to death. So yeah, you could say I'm still angry ...

I wish that instead of there being a place called "Ground Zero", we had rebuilt the towers. This design worked for me:

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

i was in school at lakeland

our teacher kept leaving the classroom, and she wouldn't tell us what was going on, my next class was immediately after, and when i walked in, our teacher told us what had happened, that he didn't know any details, and that all classes were cancelled...

when i walked into the lobby area of the building, there were literally 200 people surrounding the big tv

Same thing for me. My teacher left the room and came back and told us about the first plane. She left a little bit later and came back and said all the classes were cancelled. I got home just in time to see the second plane hit...

Joe Thomas made Justin Timberlake change his name. He didn't want wusses to have the same initials...

Dawg Talker since 3/26/2005...
J
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J
I was in 6th grade. I was in math class. I remember we were supposed to have a test that day but since the attacks happened we got out of school. Which was cool but I remember being scared that some one was going to attack Erie. I don't know why I was young and dumb.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Later that night the silence was shattered by a sonic boom... they were sending out some fighter jet from somewhere. At the time, nobody knew that so it was scary! I'm fairly close to WPAFB as well, I thought something unspeakable happened there!

I was still glued to the television when that sonic boom happened and I think my heart stopped briefly. I ran outside and my neighbor, a firefighter, was also running outside looking around in a panic. He jumped in his truck and took off -- I'm guessing toward the station. It was several hours until I heard it was just a sonic boom...several long hours.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

I felt all those emotions, but the sadness and the anger stay with me ... I can't erase this one picture from my mind of a man and a woman holding hands in an open window before they jumped to their deaths rather than burning to death. So yeah, you could say I'm still angry ...

I wish that instead of there being a place called "Ground Zero", we had rebuilt the towers. This design worked for me:

i actually thought we should have built a giant tower with a huge middle finger extended at the top.

Legend
Legend
I was in college... one of my residents woke me up and I remember watching it with a bunch of the guys...

then we had a scare because someone thought that a hijacked plane was at the cleveland airport, so they shut that down and we had people walking all over hte highway and onto our campus....

then later that night some idiot called a bomb scare on our campus so as many of us mourned the fallen towers we had to evacuate all of our dorms late at night... most of the campus gathered at the sports complex... I had to help make sure no one was in any of the buildings as the bomb squad went building by building.

<><

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

i actually thought we should have built a giant tower with a huge middle finger extended at the top.

I think that's exactly what this design does ... its a big FU, pointed east. I understand not wanting to build where so many victims' remains were never retrieved, but I would rather honor their memory (and mark their graves) with a new symbol of American indominableness, determination, and unity instead of with a big hole in the ground.

B
Legend
Legend
B
J/C

I think it is good we remember.

Anytime you/we think we have it bad because of this war, think how bad this gal had it because we waited.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thats what that design above looks like to me

Our honor defend, we will fight to the end, for OHIO! GO BUCKS!
C
Poser
Poser
C
j/c. As I've stated before, my brother is a police chief. I was sitting at my desk and one of my workers called from his cell and told me about the first plane. I turned on the TV and watched in horror as the second plane hit. I immediately called my brother and took off for the police station. There was utter chaos.....phone lines jammed, panic all around. Everything was, as someone said, surreal.

The next morning, my brother and a few of his officers jumped in a van and drove up to ground zero and worked there for a week. When he came back, he was struck by not only the tragedy that the nation felt, but also a personal tragedy. During the previous summer, the department had conducted a class to set up a "Columbine task force" in case something would happen in one of the schools. The man that taught the class was a detective from New York. He was also one of the brave officers that went into the building and sacrificed his life to try to save others.

I always take time to honor all the lives that were lost, but knowing that I had actually met someone that lost their life is something that is even more painful. It was just a brief handshake, nod, and smile in my brother's office, but still, I'll never forget the sacrfice he made.

C
1st String
1st String
C
I was at school, in 7th grade. Since the school was grades k-8, the administration decided to keep the details of what was happening quiet from the students, so as not to cause a panic. They'd prefer each student's parents explained the events as they saw fit. I do remember our whole student body being called to a prayer service during the day, but few if any of the kids knew exactly why. There were whispers, but none of us were clear on the detals. By the time I got home, the images of what had taken place throughout the day were everywhere. Needless to say, it was shocking.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Peen, seeing pictures like that pisses me off. Not at you, but it pisses me off. Makes me think things I'd like to not think......

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

J/C

I think it is good we remember.

Anytime you/we think we have it bad because of this war, think how bad this gal had it because we waited.

Ya' know...I had to fly to Texas the first day airports opened again. Flew 1st Class. Delta MD-88. I get in the damn airplane and guess who's in the cockpit. 2 Middle East lookin' pilots. Then I sit down and here comes another one and sits right across from me. Ya' think I ever took my eyes off him.

I've flown thousands of miles. Going into Atlanta. The city's on my right. All of a sudden we take a hard right turn. I bout come unglued. It was way more than a usual right wing roll. Turned out to be normal approach to Hartsfield.

Worst damn flight I ever been on.

Anyway. I bought the Time Magazine that was dedicated to 9/11. The picture u posted reminded me of it because the close-up shots they had of people jumping were incredibly sharp and UN-IMAGINEABLE.

I still look at it periodically. I still watch United 93. I still watch Flight 93.

Go Browns!!!
All Pro
All Pro
I was at work running a press brake when I was told of the events happening.
We had no t.v. or radio coverage so I only had to go by what I was told.

I was told that planes had hit the buildings and the pentagon. Told there was 50,000 dead. People at work were taping signs to the water fountains saying don't drink possibly contaminated.

I had no idea what was going on, are we under attack from another country, is our water supply poisoned? I left work. The only one to do so that day.
My thinking was I'm going to get my wife, daughter and myself together and see what happens. I'm thinking that more events were going to unfold and I'll be damned that I'm gonna possibly die in a stinking old factory away from my family. I just wanted to be with them. To protect them the best that I can if something else goes down.

How in the world can you fix something...
If you don't know how it's supposed to work?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One other lasting image I remember from that day was the BP station near my house in Akron price gouging b/c of what happened. My mom had called me to talk about the days events and told me that I better go get gas b/c she herd prices were going to skyrocket I won a BP fuel card a few weeks before at work so my roommate and I went and I guess everyone thought the same thing b/c there was a line. The guy was out there changing the sign to $5.09 a gallon! I called my roomie and told him to forget this and lets go back home. I read in the paper a few days later that station and a bunch of others in Akron and Cleveland were fined for doing that I still won't get fuel at BP in part b/c that left a bad taste in my mouth and problems friends of mine had with their gasoline.

Our honor defend, we will fight to the end, for OHIO! GO BUCKS!
Legend
Legend
I was one half mile from the Pentagon, my wife was at home with our 5 year old son who was sick. She called me when the first plane hit and I didn't pay a lot of attention to it because like most, I assumed it was an accident. She called me back when the second plane hit and we started getting a little freaked out. Then we head that there was an explosion at the Pentagon, at first they said they thought the helicopter sitting on the helo pad had exploded.. I looked out my office window and could see the smoke rising from the Pentagon, then they confirmed that it was an airplane. I was sort of in a state of shock and didn't really know how to react, I just wanted to be with my family. I knew that even if I stayed at work, I wasn't going to get anything done. I decided to go out for some air so I walked to the deli across the street for a soda, I was in the plaza outside our building when I heard a small rumble, looked up and saw two jets, I believe they were F-18's out of Andrews AFB, flying very low right over my head and it shook everything. It was at that instant that it occurred to me... this is for real, those bastards are fully loaded and ready to shoot something down right over my head if necessary. It was a bone chilling realization. I told my boss I was leaving and went and picked up my kids and drove out of town. All I really remember was being sort of numb but trying to remain as calm as possible for the sake of my wife and son...

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Peen, seeing pictures like that pisses me off. Not at you, but it pisses me off. Makes me think things I'd like to not think......

It should. If it doesn't, there is something wrong with you.

I imagine that being my sister,daughter, or wife to get even more worked up. I have seen that picture so long, that is my sister, daughter, and wife.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We feel for your loss. That's terrible to lose people you were close to like that.

And looking at your pictures took me back to when I got to visit Ground Zero a few months after you did. It really made me look so much differently at the attacks...can't ever forget how many people were there just weeping. I only had the courage to take one picture, of the cross that was I believe on the cover of time. I keep the picture framed and up in my office at home.

Thank you for sharing...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

My pics from my trip to WTC in Feb. 2002
Not all are of the WTC area

Good pics. My family and I took a trip to NYC a couple years after the attacks and saw many of those same sites. The thing that really effected me was that no matter where we were I would look back at where the towers used to be and just imagine what it must have been like to be in lower Manhattan on that day. People who have never been in NYC just dont have any idea of the mass of humanity that occirs on a daily basis there and what it must have been like when those planes hit.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I watched "102 minutes that changed America" last night on the History channel... absolutely incredible viewing for anyone that gets a chance to see it.

It is a series of recordings done by normal people and television cameras in various places throughout the city that morning. You see the whole morning unfold from about 30 different perspectives. Some parts of it include audio from emergency responder networks. The reactions of people there in the city and on the ground when the 2nd tower is hit, when people start jumping and when the towers fall is incredibly powerful.

It really is a "must see". No 'rah rah' patriotism overtones, no voice-overs, no commentary... just raw footage as it was shot.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I watched that too, PPE. It was just and eerie feeling I got watching that. It was like re-living the whole morning over again.

I was in 8th grade at the time. I happened to be home from school with strep-throat. My mom woke me up before she went to work, and gave me my medicine from the doctor, and she told me about the first plane hitting, and how they thought something just went wrong. Well, I didn't go back to sleep, instead I decided to turn the TV over and watch the coverage, and saw the 2nd plane hit. I sat at home, all day, watching the coverage. I just couldn't turn away.

Legend
Legend
Dang, I missed that. I did just watch a clip from it on the history channel website...

I sure wish I could find the schedule of if and when it will air again...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Agreed. My GF and I watched it in silence. Just powerful stuff.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
A friend of mine (from high school) posted pictures (on Facebook) that his friend took while he was vacationing in lower Manhatten on 9/11/01. He just happened to be there right when it happened. Incredible pics. The last photographs are from after the first building fell. I'm thinking after that, he was told to move out of the area as he was about 5 blocks from the WTC.

_____

I've seen parts of that 101 minutes special on History. I can't ever get through the whole thing. I end up bawling! Also, I watched a bit of the rebroadcast of NBC news coverage from that day on MSNBC yesterday.

Wow! The lack of information and the speculation of the day were amazing. Before the broadcast ended (less than 3 hours after the first plane stuck the towers) Bin Laden's name was bandied about as the strongest possiblity as the mastermind.

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
Raven
Raven
I was working at the Linthicum Incoming Mail Facility in Maryland (USPS BWI airport). We were put into an almost automatic lockdown and we saw both towers and the Pentagon hit.....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My ma lost her cousin that day. He came to visit just 2 months b4. I was in 1st grade, my teacher had it on TV when we came in2 class we all saw the 2nd plane hit & and both collapse. I was crushed.

L
Legend
Legend
L
j/c

i was just out of the army for 2 months when it happened..3 days later, i was sitting at taco bell, recruiting station across the way..finished my meal, walked in to the station, 5 days later..back at the 75th in benning awaiting the chance to go kill those bastards..Which i did get to go..twice

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
C
2nd String
2nd String
C
Strange thing to have a day in which you could swear was a fog, be so vividly etched in your mind.

I has just woke up on my couch in Okinawa Japan. I flipped on the TV and thought I was seeing some sort of strange movie. Then the 2nd plane hit. Later the towers fell. All I can remember is I did not say one freaking word the whole time and I don't think I blinked. As soon as the towers fell, I raced up stairs breathing real heavy. I fell to my wifes beside and started to cry..I keep saying "they did it! I can't believe those bastards did it!" My wife was terrified because she had no idea of what was going on. All she saw was her husband crying and yelling..She kept asking me what was wrong and all I could do was tell her to look at the TV..The look on her face was one I'll never forget..Complete and utter shock..

To this day, to a small extent its still hard for me to believe this happened..It almost brings me to tears and does sometimes when I think about it too much..One of the saddest days in my life..I sometimes wish I had not seen it..

"Behold! The only thing greater than yourself!"
L
Legend
Legend
L
I was not near a TV or radio until that evening. It was surreal to turn on the TV when I got home and see what had happened.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I was off from work that day. I had gone out the night before ..... and slept in till about 9. I turned on the TV .... and watched .. in a fog ..... as they showed one tower burning. I turned around, and heard something like "Oh my God, there's another plane.". Then ..... in the understatement of all time ...... "This was no accident". I watched, transfixed, horrified, enraged, scared, numb, and a thousand other sensations.

When the 1st tower fell, the only thing I could think was "I wonder if the people on the top floors of the other tower realize that they're not going to make it out alive?". I hope that they found their own peace in the very minimal amount of time they had to do so.

I had just joined the old board shortly before 9-11. In that particular time though, I think it served as therapist, catharsis, sounding board, support, information exchange, and comfort.

I will never forget that day. Frankly, I am amazed that so many already have.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
S
Legend
Legend
S
my first game at the new browns stadium was after 9/11, first game back, against the lions

it was awesome to see the browns run out of the tunnel with the american flags, it was an awesome day, because i think we were all still in so much shock over what happened, that it was nice to get away from it for a few hours, plus the browns won

i had the special pamphlet/program type thing that they handed out, but i can't find it, that might be a pretty valuable item some years down the line.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

my first game at the new browns stadium was after 9/11, first game back, against the lions

it was awesome to see the browns run out of the tunnel with the american flags, it was an awesome day, because i think we were all still in so much shock over what happened, that it was nice to get away from it for a few hours, plus the browns won

i had the special pamphlet/program type thing that they handed out, but i can't find it, that might be a pretty valuable item some years down the line.

I was there too.

Ty Detmer couldn't throw anything except a INT on that day.

you had a good run Hank.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

I was there too.

Ty Detmer couldn't throw anything except a INT on that day.

7, right?

boy, were they bad.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum September 11, 2001: Where were you?

Link Copied to Clipboard