Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
web page

Group: Global warming could cost Ohio its buckeyes

By M.R. KROPKO, Associated Press Writer
Fri Sep 12, 7:19 PM ET

It's not the best-researched global-warming theory, but it could be the most horrifying to certain fans of college football: Environmentalists said Friday that climate change might push the growing range of Ohio's iconic buckeye tree out of the state, leaving it for archrival Michigan.

Save The Buckeye, a coalition of environmental activists and outdoor enthusiasts, has a billboard in Columbus warning about the fate of the buckeye tree, and backers plan to hold rallies during football tailgating events. They're hoping to channel Ohio pride into environmental awareness and action.

"People had thought of global warming as something far away, affecting polar bears," said Tom Bullock, an advocate for the Pew Environment Group in Ohio. "If we don't get started now we will reduce the opportunity to reduce global warming and curb its worst effects."

The billboard next to the Buckeye Hall of Fame and Cafe and along a highway near Ohio Stadium says: "Michigan Buckeye? Global Warming is Sending Ohio's Buckeye North."

Although found in other parts of the Midwest, the buckeye tree is the official state tree of Ohio, and the buckeye nut provided the name for sports teams at Ohio State University, whose football rival is the University of Michigan. The brown nut's lighter circular "eye," resembling the eye of a buck deer, gave the tree its name.

The coalition doesn't have any evidence that the buckeye's range has been pushed north but says global warming threatens to make that happen.

David Lytle, chief of the Division of Forestry in the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, said the campaign has merit because it calls attention to important ecological issues.

"I think it's a lighthearted way of addressing a serious subject," he said.

Lytle said healthy adult buckeye trees can tolerate a wide climate range, although seedlings are more sensitive. Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan could eventually give buckeye trees a more comfortable habitat, he said.

Football fans may not want to hear this, but Michigan already has some buckeye trees.

Donald R. Zak, an ecology professor at the University of Michigan, said it's not unusual to find a buckeye tree in southern Michigan, where the climate and soil is like that in northern Ohio.

The Great Lakes region has experienced climate change often, including when glaciers shaped the landscape and then pulled back. But global warming presents a real concern now, Zak said.

"Humans are the cause of this warming, and that's no longer a debate among scientists," he said.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
It won't be that bad. There are no wolverines running wild in Michigan, no nittany lions in Pennsylvania, no fighting Illini, no Spartans in East Lansing....not sure about golden gophers, though.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Well if we're gonna lose the Buckeyes we'd better at least fight for the name and colors until an expansion college is in place.

...oh wait...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'll back that idea 100% Ammo....

LET'S GO BROWNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Linked Image]
[b]WOOF WOOF[b]
S
Legend
Legend
S
THUPER THERIAL!

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

It won't be that bad. There are no wolverines running wild in Michigan, no nittany lions in Pennsylvania, no fighting Illini, no Spartans in East Lansing....not sure about golden gophers, though.

I haven't seen a Trojan in a while either...

"My signature line goes here."
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Must...resist...joke...

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Must...resist...joke...

ahhahhaha

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

"Humans are the cause of this warming, and that's no longer a debate among scientists," he said.

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Must...resist...joke...

My post WAS the joke...

"My signature line goes here."
J
Legend
Legend
J
That's what I was thinking. Some people don't get a subtle joke and then ruin it by making an unsubtle one.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

That's what I was thinking. Some people don't get a subtle joke and then ruin it by making an unsubtle one.

Now I would never do that!

Legend
Legend
Do what

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
lol I_Rogue dissed himself.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

not sure about golden gophers, though.

if I see one... I'm shooting it I don't care if It's in city limits or not...

His fur would be worth at least 100k to some rap star

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Global Warming's really gone and done it now.....

Link Copied to Clipboard