#310022 09/18/08 06:48 PM
A
Ammo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
I need to vent for a second.

They recently opened up a Donatos in Athens, we don't have one in my town at home, so I was eager to have it for the second time, having liked it the first time.

Well, the first time I had it down here, the price was ridiculous, but the food was good. I don't see myself getting the BBQ Chicken Pizza again though unless my friends wanna go in with me on one.

Tonight I ordered a traditional mushroom pizza, breadsticks and a 2 liter of Diet Coke using a coupon, starving from a killer workout (if you want a good workout: lift, run, then hit the punching bags, you'll be gassed). I can smell the delicious aroma as I'm about to open the box...then I see the awkwardly cut Donatos rectangles, cheese and yellow mushrooms...

Wait...what? YELLOW mushrooms? I'm disgusted by the site of them. But I ordered it and Donatos ain't cheap, so it better be good.

It was average pizza at best.

I'm never ordering from there solo again. At least I have lunch and dinner for tomorrow though. I'll stick with cheapo Hungry Howies pizza when I want my fix.

Just a consumer alert for everyone. Donatos ain't as good as claimed and ain't worth the price.

Ammo #310023 09/18/08 06:51 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My buddies used to live across from a DP Dough down there. That's the only pizza we ever ate in OU...

Joe Thomas made Justin Timberlake change his name. He didn't want wusses to have the same initials...

Dawg Talker since 3/26/2005...
BradAzz #310024 09/18/08 07:04 PM
A
Ammo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

My buddies used to live across from a DP Dough down there. That's the only pizza we ever ate in OU...

That ain't pizza.

But it is damn good.

Ammo #310025 09/18/08 07:07 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I disagree. I like Donatos pizza. One of the better pizza places, IMO.

Ammo #310026 09/18/08 07:09 PM
C
1st String
1st String
C
hungry howie's is delicious...particularly with garlic crust.

Ammo #310027 09/18/08 07:21 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Donato's is owned by Mcdonalds. -Not good to me. If nothing better is available, I prefer Papa Johns. Around Cleveland, if you want pizza, it's gotta be Mama Santa's.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Donato's is owned by Mcdonalds. -Not good to me.

So is Chipotle...And I certainly have nothing against Chipotle as they kill the knock offs like Moe's and Q'doba (amongst others).

Ammo #310029 09/18/08 07:33 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I find it hard to complain about any of those cheap pizza places...it is what it is...

You want good pizza, you have to go to a real pizza joint, but then you will pay $22 for a large pizza that actually uses quality ingredients in abundant portions.

Of the discount joints, I have found Pizza Hut the best....I guess they are sort of middle of the road....maybe a notch above the places that sell 12 medium pizza's for $15

Weren't you complaining about a Chipoltes some time back??

That is about like complaining about Taco Bell IMO....what do you expect for a $2.49 burrito grande???

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ammo #310030 09/18/08 07:36 PM
T
1st String
1st String
T
I'll co-sign to this. They have steadily gone down the tubes over the past 3 years or so. I used to get the Big Don subs from them here in C-bus. Last time me & my girl ordered them and they screwed hers up. We complained and they offered us a credit towards our next order. We said cool, and 2 weeks later we ordered a pizza, with our credit. The pizza arrives, it's cold, dry, and generally tastes like crap. So, never again for us, too.

[color:"green"] Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.[/color]
Ammo #310031 09/18/08 08:01 PM
OnB Offline
Bengal
Bengal
Honey! There is a Little Ceasars right THERE! $5.

Seriously, sorry about all that, it always sucks to be disappointed. Hope those yellow shrooms were ok....

[Linked Image from media.lehighvalleylive.com]
Birds of War
Ballpeen #310032 09/18/08 08:02 PM
A
Ammo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I find it hard to complain about any of those cheap pizza places...it is what it is...

You want good pizza, you have to go to a real pizza joint, but then you will pay $22 for a large pizza that actually uses quality ingredients in abundant portions.

Of the discount joints, I have found Pizza Hut the best....I guess they are sort of middle of the road....maybe a notch above the places that sell 12 medium pizza's for $15

Weren't you complaining about a Chipoltes some time back??

That is about like complaining about Taco Bell IMO....what do you expect for a $2.49 burrito grande???

Donatos isn't exactly "$5 hot n ready" like Little Caesars. It's kind of expensive. Not gourmet expensive, but above average.

And it has the reputation for being the "Chipotle of pizza."

Oh and Beerdowner, Chipotle isn't owned by McDonalds anymore. It went public.

EDIT: I love Chipotle. No complaints on my part until they screw things up...but they have good management so they won't for a long time.

Last edited by Ammo; 09/18/08 08:38 PM.
OnB #310033 09/18/08 08:06 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Hope those yellow shrooms were ok....

They just added them at the end of the cooking process....either by design or they forgot to add them in the first place and caught the mistake when they were boxing it up...I am sure they used a canned mushroom...and those have a yellowish tint to them...

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #310034 09/18/08 08:11 PM
OnB Offline
Bengal
Bengal
Thanks, Emril. JK!

I don't know about mushrooms, I was just worried he might get sick... didn't sound natural.

[Linked Image from media.lehighvalleylive.com]
Birds of War
Ballpeen #310035 09/18/08 08:11 PM
A
Ammo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Hope those yellow shrooms were ok....

They just added them at the end of the cooking process....either by design or they forgot to add them in the first place and caught the mistake when they were boxing it up...I am sure they used a canned mushroom...and those have a yellowish tint to them...

You're right. My personal favorite are the dry, dark mushrooms though. (yeah I know you have to go to a classy restaurant for that)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

hungry howie's is delicious...particularly with garlic crust.

omg yes talk about grubbing food

Ammo #310037 09/18/08 08:14 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Donato's pizza is pretty good food for their price and 20 bucks isn't nothing to pay for a decent pizza pie. Now don't tell me the I am a poor college kid bit because you should have realized that prior to buying, and honestly you could have asked them which type of mushrooms they use, since many places use different varieties. Not sure why you needed to vent about something you did to yourself and had control over. They didn't rip you off, it sounds like you just wasn't wise in your decision making, really it is just a pizza.

Fletch #310038 09/18/08 08:22 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

honestly you could have asked them which type of mushrooms they use

Yeah, because lots of people ask what sort of Mushrooms they use when they are ordering pizzas. -Especially college kids that have enough on their minds. I get it, he's supposed to worry about exams, papers, social life, money and then he's supposed to worry about what sort of mushrooms Donato's is going to use on his pizza. LOL your funny Fletch.

Fletch #310039 09/18/08 08:24 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Not sure why you needed to vent about something you did to yourself and had control over.

How does he have control over anything Donato's does? He can control where he orders from, he can hope his food is made the right way, but he has no control over whether or not the workers at Donato's take any pride in what they do.

Fletch #310040 09/18/08 08:28 PM
C
1st String
1st String
C
Really it's just a message board thread, don't know why you feel the need to vent about something you made the decision to read

Ammo #310041 09/18/08 08:29 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
We always joked that Donato's should set up payment plans for their pizzas. Though very tasty, way too expensive for what your getting.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree on two levels.....it is goofy to ask what kind of mushrooms are used.....but that was a snide comment with tongue firmly in cheek...I also agree with it is just a pizza....as I said, not one prepared by a place known for great pizza's....

It is what it is....it like complaining about that Taco or a McDonalds burger....it's there to fill you up at a cheap price and served in a quick manner in a place that keeps reasonable cleanliness standards....it isn't there to be the best burger you ever had, in the nicest restaurant you could ever go to. It's there to be good enough at a good enough price.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't find asking questions about the topping on a pizza out of the ordinary. I have don't it numerous times, now and when I was younger then 21 because there are certain things I dislike and try to avoid them, such as onions I dislike yellow but like white. No big deal though I just have used common sense.

BTW I work go to school full time and can oder a pizza without a problem so the I go to college excuse doesn't fly. He should chalk it up as a lesson learned but a simple question could have avoided this, but I guess I am wrong because I use logic when I buy anything and if you don't ask you get what you pay for.

Simple concept, but now please try and slam me for a pizza topping, that in itself is humorous.

Pizza toppings are a major issue now among college kids, god I can't wait till there tested with real problems, LOL.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Who was venting? People ask questions all the time about certain foods especially if someone is allergic to a specific variety so it is not uncommon. I just read the thread and thought there was an easy solution since I have received different style mushrooms on different pizza's from different pizza chains, so his issue didn't see unnatural. No big deal really but if you don't ask I don't really understand how you could complain.

I can't believe how some of you get so riled up over my comments at times, but hey that's cool read into my thought all you want.

Ballpeen #310045 09/18/08 08:42 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

I agree on two levels.....it is goofy to ask what kind of mushrooms are used.....but that was a snide comment with tongue firmly in cheek...I also agree with it is just a pizza....as I said, not one prepared by a place known for great pizza's....

It is what it is....it like complaining about that Taco or a McDonalds burger....it's there to fill you up at a cheap price and served in a quick manner in a place that keeps reasonable cleanliness standards....it isn't there to be the best burger you ever had, in the nicest restaurant you could ever go to. It's there to be good enough at a good enough price.

Hey peen, what part of TN are you in? When i was stationed at campbell they have this microbrewery in clarksville called the Blackhorse Brewery..probably had the best pizza i've ever eaten..ever heard or been?

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Fletch #310046 09/18/08 08:42 PM
C
1st String
1st String
C
Maybe he just wanted to make some light discussion and didn't feel that "real" problems are appropriate to talk about on a public message board.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Light discussion? He used the "mad" gremlin in his title and stated he was venting, hardly light discussion. I didn't say anything about him posting this but it is quite silly to "vent" over a pizza topping. If you can't see that, well that's on you but it is just a pizza.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Hey peen, what part of TN are you in? When i was stationed at campbell they have this microbrewery in clarksville called the Blackhorse Brewery..probably had the best pizza i've ever eaten..ever heard or been?

Chattanooga....and I was at Campbell too...but they didn't have micro's in Clarksville in those days....late 60's, early 70's....just cheap flop house hotels and bars that served Bud, Blatz, Schlitz, Mabel...Black Label....shoot, some of those might be todays micro brews

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #310049 09/18/08 09:01 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
ahh..yes, the cheap flophouses, pawn shops galore, and buy here payhere on every corner..some things never change..lol

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
L
Legend
Legend
L
not to mentions the several high traffic "massage" facilities

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

not to mentions the several high traffic "massage" facilities

Those might be new....in my day they were still called whore houses that didn't advertise off base

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ammo #310052 09/18/08 09:33 PM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Donatos is not very good. I will eat it if it's there, but when I lived back home I would never order it.

Oh BTW, for anyone that is interested, best pie at Ohio State comes from Adriatico's. The place just "gets it" when it comes to making pizza..

I heart winning
C
1st String
1st String
C
Catfish Biff's is better

Ballpeen #310054 09/18/08 09:50 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
You pay for what you get. You want great pizza, pay for it. I recently had a party for the OSU-USC game, flew in some pie's from Giordano's in Chicago, baked them, and for just under $85 to get them out here fed 13 people and still had leftovers. Well worth it IMHO. Giordano's pizza is heaven.

OnB #310055 09/18/08 09:51 PM
M
1st String
1st String
M
don't know if it's been said yet, but if on the OSU campus one must have Catfish Biffs

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Catfish Biff's is better

That's laughable dude, and you know that

Trust me, I had plenty of both in my day. Catfish is decent pizza, but Catfish is drunk pizza. Its the cheap stuff. Adriaticos is dinner pizza, its like meat and potatos...

Our house of 5 guys used to order the "Buckeye Pizza" from Adriatico's. That thing used to feed the 5 of us for 2 full days. Good times...

I heart winning
C
1st String
1st String
C
I just happen to love a nice greasy pizza. Sue me

Ammo #310058 09/18/08 10:02 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Oh yeah, forgot DP Dough was calzones. It's been about 5 years since I've been there and I was pretty hammered every time I had it...

Joe Thomas made Justin Timberlake change his name. He didn't want wusses to have the same initials...

Dawg Talker since 3/26/2005...
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

I just happen to love a nice greasy pizza. Sue me

No worries, man. Make no mistake about it, I used to go to Catfish late night all the time. In fact, my buddy's friend was a manager over their for awhile, so he would bring over a few pies after they closed. Sounds like you frequent them all which is good. Another good one is Flying Pizza on High. True NY style...

One place I used to like as well is Apollo's on High. Great Gyros..

I heart winning
C
1st String
1st String
C
Apollo's is incredible.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My favorite pizza in the south Dayton area is Marco's. Man...wish we had one in Xenia.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Donatos Pizza

Link Copied to Clipboard