Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
While trying to think of something to talk about besides the soap opera crap going on and the DA and BE ineptitude, I started thinking about the preseason hype of the SOS, and how thw Steelers had such a tough schedule.

The steelers are 5-1 at this point, not yet beating a team above .500. They are still considered a powerhouse in all the polls, but why? Who have they beat?

The Browns at this point have had the harder schedule, and are 2-4 and have beat a previously undefeated team. They have had problems for sure, but for the most part have been in just about every game.

The Steelers have won. but besides Cincy, they have not looked impressive in any of their wins.

I see the Browns as hurting as far as the playoffs are concerned, but I also see Pittsburgh finally having to play some winning teams.

Though it probably means little, the preseason SOS predictions are silly, as teams considered to be weak like Buffalo, are looking better than teams like San Diego.

Just something to think about besides the usual garbage that keeps being rehashed. And looking at it, I still see a chance for this team.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Glad you agree with what some of us have been saying for a long time.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

The Steelers have won. but besides Cincy, they have not looked impressive in any of their wins.

While not a good team by any means, the Stoolies did thrash the Texans on opening day. However, I do see them stumbling a bit down the gate with the tougher schedule and all their injuries but they have one helluva head start on the rest of the division. If we don't get the W in Jacksonville today though, it's all over for us.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Give them credit.. they've fought through injuries to a 5-1 record. We fought through injuries and didn't even look like an NFL team for the first 4 games...

re: SoS, the Titans havn't beaten a team with a winning record either. The Giants and Bills have beaten 1 winning team a piece. It is what it is.

We'll see what happens between the Giants and Steelers today...

Legend
Legend
SoS is one of those things that should ALWAYS be taken with a big ole grain of salt.... if for no other reason than this:
simply by beating ANY team, you make your OWN SoS weaker and the SoS of everyone you play tougher.

There is no magic divining rod, and even if there is one, it surely isn't SoS.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
What the Steelers deserve credit for is that they keep on winning despite all of the injuries they have had to endure. - As for quality wins, well, they beat Jacksonville. - Like I noted, they beat Jacksonville in spite of all of these injuries.

But, like you stated, the Steelers have a tough schedule, which essentially starts today. I see them winning 5 more games. - Which is good enough to win the division.

As for the Browns, I see us ending with 9-10 wins. Note the sig.

S
1st String
1st String
S
All of those Power Rankings mean squat in the grand scheme of things. You're absolutely correct: they never take SOS into account. Look, the Steelers deserve credit for winning the games they should be winning with all of the injuries, but all of this Super Bowl talk is very premature (unless folks want to claim that the Browns and Ravens are strong opponents ).

Let's see how the season unfolds, and what happens over the next few weeks. But, to rely only on team records to predict future performance is very narrow-minded. (And we never accuse the media of being narrow-minded... )

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Simply put: If we beat teams, our SOS goes down. The more we lose, the harder the SOS is. So to me, it's that simple. We need to beat everyone or compete or we'll never make it to the next level.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
S
1st String
1st String
S
It's not as simple as that. To a point, yes. If you win, your SOS goes down, but you can still account for this in computing SOS:
Pittsburgh opponent record (excluding the Pitt games): 12-19
Cleveland opponent record (excluding Cleve games): 18-15

Baltimore and Jacksonville are the only two teams that have winning records, if you exclude the Pittsburgh game (and Philly would have a losing record)

Pitt, Wash, and NYG have winning records excluding the Browns game, and the Cowboys have a .500 record.

We can talk circles around this, but the Browns' opponents have been stronger than those of the Steelers.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

We can talk circles around this, but the Browns' opponents have been stronger than those of the Steelers.

And dat's the fact Jack!

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Sqweelurz may have theirs coming yet. Seems like injuries and Rottenhurler may unravel them. We shall see. But we are improving painfully. If the sidelines stay out of the way a bit, we have a shot.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
S
Legend
Legend
S
our schedule thus far has been tough like we expected...

5-3 dallas (and honestly if romo wasn't hurt, they would probably be 6-2, or better)

5-1 pittsburgh

4-3 baltimore

0-8 cincinnati, i know they aren't good but i just loving saing the 0-8 bengals

6-1 new york

6-2 washington

3-4 jacksonville

aside from the records those are all (with the exception of cincinnati, playoff caliber teams)

although i think baltimore is overrated, and will be exposed to be frauds sunday, and the rest of the year.

they haven't beaten anyone really, other then us, i think we're a pretty good team.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Strength of schedule excites me from here on out.

the next 4 games is where we can make our move in the division.

Pittsburgh has:
@Washington MNF
Indy
SD
Cincy

Baltimore has:
@Cle
@Hou
@NYG
Philly

Baltimore is in trouble these next 3, theyre bound to fall off.

Pittsburgh schedule looks much more human lately. but after those 4...they have:
@NE
Dallas
@Baltimore
@Tennesee
and Cleveland...that there is a brutal stretch.

We have:
Baltimore
Denver
@Buffalo
Houston

that is a stretch where 3-1 should be expected and 4-0 is attainable.

Indy
@Tennessee
@Philly
Cincy
@Pittsburgh is brutal...however, Indy has shown to be inconsisten, and on the road it cant get better, especially in November on the lake. Tennessee is the stiffest test, but by then, they'll be figured out.

The next 4 is where we have to make our move. If we can be tied, or at worst 1 game back going into the last 5, we have a very very real chance of winning this division.

The Ravens have it tough due to the Houston game being moved, theyre playing better, and they get no bye...plus it makes 3 in a row on the road.

We have a chance, but the Tennessee and Philly games back to back on the road we HAVE to split. going 0-2 in those that late in the season would be damaging. almost crushing.

I think that we have enough built up hate for Tennessee and Indy for that god awful display in week 17 last year to pound them both though. At least I hope they do, i sure as heck do

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Being a transplant I dont get to see all the games. But is it still realistic to make the playoffs?

From what Ive seen the defense has performed better then expected, especially the last few games.

Legend
Legend
If we win Sunday, we'll be 4-4. A difficult schedule for Pitt and Baltimore (see above) means 9-7 will probably win the division. Even though it's a tight race now, I don't think a WC will come from the AFC North. It's an extreme longshot, but we have a chance to make the playoffs.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I dunno. Indy and SD are underperforming. I definitely think Pitt's the stronger team.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Not Necessarily Responding to You,...

TOO many carts before the horse,....wait until Tuesday after the Ravens have been .22'ed, and the Steelers have been scalped,....

The absolute converse is, 3-5 to the Steelers 6-2,....game over, man,....(at least there wouldn't be any mystery at that point.)

S
Legend
Legend
S
eh, we're fans, we can look ahead.

as long as the guys in the locker room aren't doing what we're doing, it's all good.

i am guaranteeing a win sunday. i feel that good about it. first time this year.

remember les levine's guaranteed win night? that's sunday afternoon.

can't wait.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Strength of schedule {revisited}

Link Copied to Clipboard