Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
214dawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
link

The Bowl Championship Series is coming to ESPN starting in January 2011 (following the 2010 regular season).

ESPN and the BCS announced the deal on Tuesday. It includes exclusive television, radio, digital, international and marketing rights for the Fiesta, Orange and Sugar Bowls from 2011-2014 and the BCS title game from 2011 to 2013.

The Rose Bowl will continue to be televised on ABC through 2014 under a separate, previous contract. The Rose Bowl is also slated to host the 2014 title game.

ESPN is currently available in 98 million American homes. The current BCS deal with Fox Sports expires after the 2010 games.

This means the Fiesta, Orange and Sugar Bowls, plus the BCS Championship Game, will be televised in prime time each January. The schedule has not been released. There will also be a BCS show on ESPN every Sunday to unveil the current rankings.

The games will also be carried on ESPN Radio and ESPN Deportes Radio. Digital Media rights include operation of the official BCS Web site and the opportunity to simulcast the games online at ESPN360.com and on ESPN Mobile TV for mobile devices.

ESPN International will distribute and televise the BCS matchups around the world through networks and syndication, including on the re-branded ESPN America in Europe (known as NASN until Feb. 2009). In addition, ESPN has the right to televise BCS games on ESPN Deportes, the U.S. Spanish-language sports network.

"The BCS will thrive on ESPN," ESPN president George Bodenheimer said. "Our slogan is 'College Football Lives Here' and the BCS will now top college football's best regular-season and studio coverage, the sport's top awards shows, Bowl Week and other national championships all carried on our family of networks. This is a proud day for ESPN and an exceptional day for this great sport and its passionate fans."

"We are tremendously pleased to reach an agreement with ESPN and feel that the BCS games from 2011 to '14 will be in good hands," said BCS commissioner John Swofford, who is also the commissioner of the ACC. "With the continued growth of technology and the depth of coverage that ESPN gives to the college football fan on all its platforms during the regular season, this postseason partnership is a natural fit."

ESPN is available in just over 98 million U.S. homes, which is 86 percent of all households with televisions, according to Nielsen. Swofford expects that number to grow by 2011. Of the people who watched the BCS title game on Fox last season, 95 percent had cable or satellite, ESPN said.

I'm quite happy with this. I've haven't been a fan of Fox's coverage of the BCS games.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
214dawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
And on another note

link

Fox Sports has decided to pull its bid on the next round of television rights for the Bowl Championship Series college football games.

Fox's four-year deal with the BCS ends after the 2009 season (and the games in January 2010). The Bowl Championship Series says it is close to a deal with ESPN.

"Currently, over 98 million homes receive ESPN," BCS coordinator John Swofford said in a statement. "With the ever-changing technology and as we look toward January 2011, when the first games in this package will be played, we know that the number of households that receive ESPN will only continue to grow."

SportsBusiness Daily reported that, according to sources, ESPN bid $125 million per year over four years to get the games, while Fox's top bid was $100 million per year.

A statement from Fox on Monday read, "Even with today's vast economic uncertainties, Fox Sports made a very competitive bid to keep broadcasting BCS games free to every home in America, one that included a substantial rights fee increase, and certainly as much as any over-the-air network could responsibly risk. Unfortunately, the University presidents and BCS commissioners were not satisfied and they've decided to take their jewel events to pay television."

In a statement, ESPN said: "We are not commenting today about a potential BCS agreement. However, we wish to remind everyone that ESPN is distributed on expanded basic, a product enjoyed by 98 million homes that offers the best entertainment buy in America, including many championship caliber sporting events."

Conference commissioners and BCS TV negotiator Barry Frank had been meeting in Chicago with the networks, USA Today reported last week.

Fox reportedly pays about $82.5 million annually to air four of the five BCS games -- the Sugar, Orange and Fiesta bowls and the BCS National Championship Game. ABC, like ESPN an affiliate of The Walt Disney Co., currently has a separate deal to air the Rose Bowl.

Before Fox's current deal, ABC held the rights since 1998, when college football's major conferences implemented the system to crown a national champion.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

S
Legend
Legend
S
i think the only good to this is that we'll get brent and kirk in the booth instead of the clowns that fox has rolled out the last 2 years.

and maybe some erin andrews.

Legend
Legend
This would apparently doom any playoff negotiations that might be going on, no ??

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
way to go ESPN,

first you deny the working joe who cant afford cable, Monday Night Football, now its BCS Bowl Games.

clap clap clap clap

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
Legend
Quote:

way to go ESPN,

first you deny the working joe who cant afford cable, Monday Night Football, now its BCS Bowl Games.

clap clap clap clap

So according to you, this is ESPN trying to take the free games away from people that can't afford cable (lilke it's a conspiracy)? I would argue this is just a networks way of making money, strengthening it's brand and thinking it can offer better coverage than the other networks. Would you rather ESPN only carry sports that people don't want to watch (MLS, Boxing and marathon coverage)? Please.

As far as which network has the best college football/NFL coverage....I can't tell or don't care. I mean, I like or dislike specific commentators but for the most part, I just watch the games and tune the talking heads out.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I would argue this is just a networks way of making money, strengthening it's brand and thinking it can offer better coverage than the other networks

I dont doubt thats true at all. Id just prefer to live in a world, where people who cant afford cable, can still watch MNF and the biggest Bowl Games, oh well.

Legend
Legend
I have to agree,...it should ALL be free.

WE foot the bill, whether WE have cable or not.

Legend
Legend
The only people footing the bill for BCS games on ESPN are the people watching the telecast. The commercials are paying the network back for it's $500,000,000 investment for four years of games. And the people watching the games, have to watch the commercials...which in turns pays ESPN.

People that don't have cable aren't involved in the transaction at all.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Yeah, people who don't have cable don't buy anything,....

Legend
Legend
Again, I'm not really understanding your point.

1. ESPN pays $500,000 for four years of BCS games
2. ESPN charges advertisers X for a 30-second spot during the telecast
3. The advertisers assume that 30-sec spot is worth the money since people are going to buy their products.

Where do people without cable come into play (they don't watch the game but they also don't have to watch the commercials)?

Sure, if you buy the same products that are advertised on the ESPN telecast of the BCS games I suppose some tiny portion of that money is going to their overall advertising budget...which in turn goes to ESPN. However, those same products are advertised on tons of other networks too. So, you're paying your portion of the budget when you watch the same adds on free TV.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Whether you have cable or not, or whether you watch a commercial or not, is meaningless.

We already pay for everything that supports the whole system. No consumer, no system.

I pay my cable bill in order to receive "free" broadcasts,...why can I not watch the "Thursday Night Special" too without additional cost ??

Legend
Legend
Ok, I got you. Being a consumer means you end up paying for it all in pieces even though the telecast/commercials are "targetted to the actual watchers". We could argue all day over the finer details but I'll accept that point.

Oh, I agree with you on the NFL Network Thursday Night games. I have to hit a bar/restaurant that's carrying the game to watch them. I missed the 2nd half of the Browns/Broncos game because it was late and the little kid was tired. I suppose that's a good thing considering how the game ended.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Now I don't know HOW it happened, but we got the Denver game here in Columbus on Time Warner, but this week's Steeler game is not on, to my knowledge.

Now that ain't fair,...

You either are nationally televising a game, or you ain't.

Now there are those who say,...the Thursday game is an ADDITIONAL bonus to the "freebies" you get on Sunday anyway,...so you should have to pay for it,....horse manure !! They either want us to watch, or not. I'm guessing they do.

It's a major wonder they don't don't make us pay for those Saturday Specials we get at the end of the year,...when,...very conveniently, there is NO college ball being played.

214dawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I dont doubt thats true at all. Id just prefer to live in a world, where people who cant afford cable, can still watch MNF and the biggest Bowl Games, oh well.

from the first article:

ESPN is available in just over 98 million U.S. homes, which is 86 percent of all households with televisions, according to Nielsen. Swofford expects that number to grow by 2011. Of the people who watched the BCS title game on Fox last season, 95 percent had cable or satellite, ESPN said.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
i did see that.

how many people watched BCS championship gamle last year? multiply that times .05 and you still have a lot of people who will miss out on the game (s).

Im still grumpy over the MNF thing. A blue collar guy struggling, putting in 50 hour weeks just to get by, and he cant watch some football on a Monday night

Legend
Legend
Cable is no doubt the better product,...compared to having an antenna. In SOME neighborhoods you aren't even allowed to have an antenna, and in SOME, no sat dish,....

For me, it's a matter of already having payed for the products that advertise so "they" can have an industry,....I would not die if ESPN died,....I subscribe to get a variety of programming, not just ESPN.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

i did see that.

how many people watched BCS championship gamle last year? multiply that times .05 and you still have a lot of people who will miss out on the game (s).

Im still grumpy over the MNF thing. A blue collar guy struggling, putting in 50 hour weeks just to get by, and he cant watch some football on a Monday night

Most blue collar people have cable these days.

And they can watch football on Sunday nights when they couldn't 3 years ago because it was on ESPN.

I'd rather the BCS be on ABC, personally. I don't understand why it's not since the biggest audience is on network TV. ESPN's probably planning to jack up their subscription fees.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Im sure most of the games will be on ABC. (ESPN on ABC)

Eat it Phil...
214dawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Yeah I wouldn't be too surprised to see the games end up on ABC as well.

I like the move because ESPN's set up better to cover college football. FOX's coverage just doesn't really seem up to the level that ABC had before. Their BCS standings release isn't real smooth, because they do it on their NFL post game show with only one real college football guy on the set.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Their BCS standings release isn't real smooth, because they do it on their NFL post game show with only one real college football guy on the set.

I don't think you can make that show "smooth" in my opinion. It's about 2-minutes of content in a 30-minute show. They drag everything out and it just ends up being lame. The same goes for the NCAA Basketball Tournament Selection show. It's too long. Show the brackets/bowl games and then wrap up with some discussions. It's a "post-game" show not a full 30-minute program.

[Linked Image]

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
FOX's BCS coverage has been abysmal, no doubt in my mind.

It's funny because they do a great job with their NFL, MLB and NASCAR coverage. Maybe it's because their college ball coverage in the regular season sucks as well.

ESPN's gobbling up every sporting right in sight, it seems.

214dawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Well what I was talking about was them releasing the BCS standings with Terry, Howie, Jimmy, and Strahan all there. They aren't college football guys, it's even worse when they've got Barry Switzer on there for it. It's a lot better when Charles Davis is on there, but it's still nothing compared to ESPN's coverage.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Most blue collar people have cable these days.

And they can watch football on Sunday nights when they couldn't 3 years ago because it was on ESPN.

Ok, it doesnt matter what color their collar is. My point is there are people out there who cant afford cable. They that want to watch football on Monday night and they cant. MNF is usually one the highest rated programs of the week and has been for years, because people like to watch football on MONDAY night.

Legend
Legend
Many people would love to have season tickets to thier teams games as well. Should that be free also

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
J
Legend
Legend
J
I want to visit Ireland and Australia. Somebody better be coming up with some money.....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
didnt realize so many people were anti-over the air (free) MNF.

(insert sarcastic remark)

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

My point is Monday Night Football went to cable while Sunday night football went from cable to broadcast TV. It's an even trade off.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I DIDN'T REALIZE ANYBODY HAD THE NERVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT GETTING SOMETHING FOR FREE

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
rarrrrrrr (cat claw)

you must work for ESPN

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

I DIDN'T REALIZE ANYBODY HAD THE NERVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT GETTING SOMETHING FOR FREE

I do see his point though...when you've had something for free all your life, and now suddenly you have to pay for it, it sucks.

Legend
Legend
NAAA no ESPN I just don't know how you can complain about something thats free.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum ESPN wins BCS from 2011-2014

Link Copied to Clipboard