Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
I hope we at least contact him and set up an interview.....see how it works out from there.

nordawg

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Hey, to each his own. My opinion is that Chud was no good.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
kinda got that drift...

P
Legend
Legend
P
If anybody out there has the resume to PROVE he knows how to turn things around, it's Marty.

If he's willing to be a HC, I'd rather it be here than anywhere else. At this juncture, he should be option #1.

If a rookie HC is hired without interviewing Marty for the job first, it only shows more inneptitude around here IMO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I personally don't want this guy either. Give me some new blood.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

So Chris Palmer, Butch Davis and RAC weren't enough "new blood" for you to see yet? Experiment #4? No thanks!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

And another thing as I mentioned before, I want some shred of continuity and the offense will suffer with not only a young QB but a young QB learning a new system... JMHO but I do not see any other OC candidate that tickles my fancy more than keeping Chud would.

You haven't seen that NFL Network commercial w/ Brady Quinn... He is smart. He can learn another playbook easily.

Legend
Legend
Realistically though.. How long do you think he would stay here? Thats my major concern.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Realisticly, he could be HC for four or five years. Have an asst. HC working under him during that tenure.

After the four or five years as HC, the asst. HC could move to HC and Marty as GM.

IMO- We need to get our identity back. Our winning tradition back. The current state this organisation is in, is not conducive to bring a rookie HC into.

We need somebody in charge that commands respect from guys like KW2 and BE. Somebody who has proven they can come into such a situation and turn it around.

None of the names mentioned, other than Mangini to some extent have shown this. This isn't directed towards you, but I'm sick and tired of everybody going ga ga over the flavor of the month. Or treating these type of hires like draft picks. Everything based on "potential", not evidence.

Josh McDaniels is nothing more than experiment #4. Yes, the potential is there. But we're in one helluva mess right now. And I want somebody who's proven SOMETHING as a HC in this league.

As of now, I only see Marty and Mangini as qualified candidates that appear to be on the radar screen at the moment.

JMHO

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

And another thing as I mentioned before, I want some shred of continuity and the offense will suffer with not only a young QB but a young QB learning a new system... JMHO but I do not see any other OC candidate that tickles my fancy more than keeping Chud would.

Are you kidding? We scored zero touchdowns in the last four (or was it more) games. How does that tickle your fancy..............

This team's offense was an absolute joke last year. Chud definitely has to go in my book

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Realistically though.. How long do you think he would stay here? Thats my major concern.

How long does he need to stay here to turn things around and hand pick his successor? 2 years, 3 years.. he's 65 years old and according to the article, the picture of health..

I know what you are saying, but if your only reason for not wanting him is because he can't coach here for a long long time (ala cowher or noll in Pitt) then you are missing the bigger picture..

he's proven, he's a fixer.. and man, we need fixed...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
L
Legend
Legend
L
I'm with you, pit. With Cowher out of the picture, Marty is my next choice. His success at turning teams around is well-documented. Besides, he has some unfinished business in Cleveland. Marty could coach for a few years and hand the reigns over.

I saw that Josh guy on NFL Network this morning.. the Pats' assistant. He looks like a friggin college student. I want a guy with experience and jam. We have some players that need a boot in the arse.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
N
Legend
Legend
N
I wish Pittsburgh would have thought like you before they hired Tomlin.
Or Baltimore before they hired Harbaugh.

I don't really care about them, but Miami (Sparano), Atlanta (Smith), and even Washington (Zorn) don't have too much to complain about hiring young inexperienced guys who are exceptional leaders and motivators.

Gibbs didn't exactly work out for Washington....nor has Jauron for Buffalo. Herm Edwards isn't exactly lighting things up in KC.

I know for every Tomlin there will inevitably be a Lane Kiffin, but my point is that you hire the best leader out there and do not worry if he is young, old, experienced/inexperienced. Find out who you want running your team and hire them.

#gmstrong
C
Poser
Poser
C
Quote:

Quote:

So Chris Palmer, Butch Davis and RAC weren't enough "new blood" for you to see yet? Experiment #4? No thanks!

Well, let's look at the other side of the coin, ok? Marty not getting to the Super Bowl with the 4 teams he "turned around" isn't enough fo ryou to see yet? Experiment #5? No thanks...and this coming form someone that knows Coach Schottenheimer more intimately than ANYONE on this board and has more respect for him than anyone.

Sorry, but the one resume that has PROVEN to "turn a franchise around" is one that is 2 for 2 in taking losing teams to a Super Bowl, winning one and getting one stolen from him by the officials....Mike Holmgren.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
But Holmgren isn't returning to do anything for another year?

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 12/30/08 12:38 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
And would you like to explain the great accomplishments of your choice Coach?

#gmstrong
C
Poser
Poser
C
Are you sure about that? I will just say there is interest from both sides. Lerner said so publicly and the rest you wil just have to judge whether or not I've been right in the things I've said before.

Legend
Legend
Here's the thing on this for me.. I could see Marty as a 3 year fix, a guy to get this team turned around, build a culture of discipline and a positive attitude with our young players.. then turn it over to a young touted coordinator... There are always going to be young highly touted coordinators out there..

The downside to that is that we have yet another transition looming... if we could just find that young highly touted coordinator right now, then we would be a little bit ahead....

I look at hiring Marty sort of like an insurance policy against floundering for 3 more years while HOPING that some unproven HC can get the job done...

Whether it's now or a few years from now, we are going to end up with a young unproven HC..... It's just that a few years from now that guy could be taking over a much more disciplined and more confidant football team...

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Are you sure about that? I will just say there is interest from both sides. Lerner said so publicly and the rest you wil just have to judge whether or not I've been right in the things I've said before.

I would buy into that. But the odds don't look good on that front. But we're headed in the same direction.

NO EXPERIMENTS!

We both want people with a proven track record this time around.

#gmstrong
C
Poser
Poser
C
We're close to wanting the same thing. I DON"T want someone with a proven track record of not being able to win the big game. As much as I love and respect Coach, he is very similar to John Cooper.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

As much as I love and respect Coach, he is very similar to John Cooper.

Wow. Total insult. Plain and simple.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Here's the thing on this for me.. I could see Marty as a 3 year fix, a guy to get this team turned around, build a culture of discipline and a positive attitude with our young players.. then turn it over to a young touted coordinator... There are always going to be young highly touted coordinators out there..

OR, you could bring a good young "asst. HC" in to work under Marty for those three years with the promise of the HC gig upon Marty's departure.

Quote:

The downside to that is that we have yet another transition looming... if we could just find that young highly touted coordinator right now, then we would be a little bit ahead....

Not with the formula above.

There would be a guy in the wings who would simply take over the reigns. We would be building something for him to "take over". No player turnover, no new playbook, no new schemes. Continuity, yet change at the same time.

Quote:

I look at hiring Marty sort of like an insurance policy against floundering for 3 more years while HOPING that some unproven HC can get the job done...

With the scenario I layed out, it could be SO MUCH more!

Quote:

Whether it's now or a few years from now, we are going to end up with a young unproven HC..... It's just that a few years from now that guy could be taking over a much more disciplined and more confidant football team...

And could be a guy Marty trained to "work with the playbook and players that would already be in place".

Wouldn't that be a refreshing change of pace?

#gmstrong
C
Poser
Poser
C
That's not an insult, it's true. Very good regular season record, but dismal in the playoffs. Cooper, always a top team but couldn't when the big ones. Both were great coaches in many aspects.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

We're close to wanting the same thing. I DON"T want someone with a proven track record of not being able to win the big game. As much as I love and respect Coach, he is very similar to John Cooper.

Not quite. Marty could beat the Steelers. Cooper couldn't beat Michigan.

I see what you're saying. But in every one of those games, Marty had his team in the position to win. Marty didn't fumble the ball, Byner did.

I'm definately open to the idea of Holmgren. I just think Marty would bring back Browns tradition. Which IMO is a much needed bonus. And after a lot of reflecting, I believe Marty had each and every team that lost big games in the position to win them.

But even then he was too old to be on the field executing the plays he was calling.

JMHO

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree Pit.. under the plan of bringing in Marty, the obvious hope is that the young coordinator that takes over is somebody already in the system.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If I was sure I wouldn't have asked you
If he is interested is it just coaching?
I would like Holmgren..

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 12/30/08 12:42 PM.
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Quote:

I agree Pit.. under the plan of bringing in Marty, the obvious hope is that the young coordinator that takes over is somebody already in the system.

Like his Son Brian ??????????

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I wish Pittsburgh would have thought like you before they hired Tomlin.
Or Baltimore before they hired Harbaugh.

I don't really care about them, but Miami (Sparano), Atlanta (Smith), and even Washington (Zorn) don't have too much to complain about hiring young inexperienced guys who are exceptional leaders and motivators.

You are completely missing the point here.. look at Tomlin in Pittsburgh,, he had a SOLID infrstructure to deal with. same with Harbaugh in Baltimore and same with Zorn in Washington... Atlanta,, I'll give you that one.

I have said that I don't have a problem with another rookie HC.. as long as the GM has had success as a GM... I also have no problem with a Rookie GM as long as the HC has had success as a HC.

I just don't want another Rookie GM and HC at the same time if we can avoid it.. and, truth is, we may not be able to avoid it.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Poser
Poser
C
Holmgren has no interest in the dual role again.

Pit, I disagree, but that's ok. Coach is the one that made several coaching mistakes in those games....like on the drive where we played prevent D, on a crucial 4th and inches, had the TE lift his hand off the ground and was called for false start, and many others. Not all of them are on him, but as so many have pointed out this year, it all goes back to the top

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I just don't want another Rookie GM and HC at the same time if we can avoid it.. and, truth is, we may not be able to avoid it.

With Randy's wallet? We CAN avoid it! Question is, will he let yet another rookie GM dictate that we don't?

If so, Randy is a slow Lerner................

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Gibbs didn't exactly work out for Washington....

Disagree completely.. Gibbs worked out perfectly in Washington in the same capacity as Marty could work out here if we go that route. The Skins hadn't had a winning season in 5 years and had 5 coaches in 4 years before Gibbs.. he goes there for 4 years, has 2 winning seasons (both playoff teams), weeds out some of the players that don't belong and turns over a playoff team to Zorn... The book on Zorn is still out because they started hot then sort of folded but he didn't win as many games in his first year as Gibbs did the year before and Gibbs made the playoffs.. so I don't see how you can say Gibbs didn't work out but Zorn did...

As far as Sparano and Smith, we'll have to see if they can keep the team at that level... I'm not sure how much of it is Sparano and how much of it is Parcells in Miami though...

yebat' Putin
S
2nd String
2nd String
S
Quote:

But Holmgren isn't returning to do anything for another year?

Per Grossi:

Lerner would not identify the executives on his radar other than Pioli.
Mike Holmgren, Seattle's departing coach, is not in the mix, Lerner said, because he's been informed that there is a "99.9 percent chance" that Holmgren will take a sabbatical in 2009.

web page

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With Randy's wallet? We CAN avoid it! Question is, will he let yet another rookie GM dictate that we don't?

If so, Randy is a slow Lerner................

Slow LERNER,,,,,LOL I get it.. That amused me

We agree on having rookies at both jobs... but we should both watch closely,, it may end up being the best way to go when you get right down to it.. Don't know..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Give me Spagnuola (sp?) or Schwartz....i don't want another Belichick coaching tree. I'll take Piola and one of those guys....Mangini is like Romeo on the sidelines and McDaniels won't be able to have the respect needed in this locker room b/c of the cancers we have. Spags or Schwartz!

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend
I like Schwartz as well.

Legend
Legend
Just clicking

Quote:

Sources: Cowher wants total control
By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: December 30, 2008, 12:17 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher, who rejected a chance to become head coach of the Browns last weekend, is not going to interview for the head coaching position of the New York Jets, according to multiple sources.

Cowher, according to a source, has been contacted by the Jets. Although he is interested in the Jets job, he told the team he would not be a candidate because he would like to bring in his own personnel director. Jets owner Woody Johnson plans to keep Mike Tannenbaum as his general manager after firing Eric Mangini as head coach Monday.

With Tannenbaum as the general manager, Cowher is willing to pass on the Jets opportunity, stay in broadcasting for another year and wait to return to coaching in 2010.

Cowher has told friends the Jets job interested him for several reasons. First, Cowher would love to coach in the New York market. Second, two of his daughters are either going to school or working in the New York-New Jersey area.

Cowher does plan to coach in 2010. In 2009, though, he was only willing to return if every situation was right for him. He wanted to have a two-year break from coaching to be with family and recharge.

Last weekend, Cowher met with Browns owner Randy Lerner, who asked him what it would take financially for him to be the Browns head coach. Having a close relationship with the Rooney family in Pittsburgh and still wanting more time with the family, Cowher didn't give Lerner a price, and said no.

Cowher recently extended his contract with CBS for another season.

Cowher plans to speak publicly for the first time about the Jets' opening and other coaching opportunities during CBS' wild-card pre-game show on Sunday, a source told 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand.

John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.