Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Spectre Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2008/12/cleveland_browns_fired_romeo_c.html

Cleveland Browns fired Romeo Crennel
by Mary Kay Cabot Monday December 29, 2008, 9:52 AM
BEREA -- Browns coach Romeo Crennel was fired this morning.

Team spokesman Bill Bonsiewsicz announced the firing at 9:50.

Crennel was 25-40 in four seasons as Browns head coach. He had been expected to meet with owner Randy Lerner on Monday morning. Lerner is scheduled to meet with the media at 10 a.m.

We're... we're good?
J
Legend
Legend
J
Good luck Romeo, you are a class act. I wish it would have worked out for you here.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not exactly a surprise. Get Cowher if he will accept only being Head Coach. Get Pioli.

Legend
Legend
Good Luck Romeo...

I for one will miss you being here in Cleveland.

I know where ever you go from this point on, you will succeed. It's a hard road to walk in Cleveland, Ohio.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
F
All Pro
All Pro
F
No surprise there. I only hope this means that Cowher is on his way to Cleveland. I heard yesterday on ESPN that Marty Schottenheimer is in Kansas City and they are interviewing him for an office job. Pretty much puts my list down to one candidate.

And the next head coach is ......
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
so long Romeo cant say you werent a good guy.....a good HC?, now thats a different story

Legend
Legend
Yup,, just saw it on TV and he's a blip from WKYC.com

BEREA -- Channel 3 News has confirmed that Cleveland Browns Head Coach Romeo Crennel has been fired.

Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner released Crennel Monday morning.

Crennel's release comes after a disappointing 4-12 season.

Brown's GM Phil Savage was released Sunday after the Brown's shutout loss to the Pittsburg Steelers.

The Associated Press last night that Savage was told by Browns owner Randy Lerner that the organization is going in another direction.

© 2008 WKYC-TV

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Good luck Romeo, you are a class act. I wish it would have worked out for you here.

My sentiments exactly.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Good luck, Romeo. I truly hoped you were the one. For now, get some rest and watch your health!!!

Anybody want to guess what expression he wore on his face when he got the news?

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Good Riddance. Romeo, you did an awful job here, I don't have anything else to say.

Spectre Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I like Romeo as a person and I'm glad he handled himself with class but it's clear that he isn't cut out to be a head coach. Nothing against him, but I'm glad we can move on ASAP.

We're... we're good?
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Dear Randy,,, Thank you,,, thank you,,,,thank you....

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Not that you're bitter about it or anything....

Best wishes Romeo. Good man. Not the right HC for the Browns. Go spoil you're grandkids for a while until a good opportunity comes along.

Legend
Legend
So how long will it take to find a new GM and Head Coach?

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Dear Randy,,, Thank you,,, thank you,,,,thank you....

I'll thank Randy when he brings in a coach that can actually win. This cleaning house every 4-5 years is getting old.

K
1st String
1st String
K
Quote:

I have a feeling phone calls have already been made and a feeling out process has already taken place. My gut is telling me Pioli or Parcells with Cohwer as a possible coach... Nothing concrete just a gut feeling...

B
Legend
Legend
B
I wish him and his family well.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Seen this comin.

Later RAC and good luck though I don't feel an ounce of sorrow for ya since your pocket is pretty padded.

Just get some guys in here that produces a damn winner.

I don't care if the name is Cowher, Schottenhiemer, Pioli, or whoever, just bring home a damn winner.

Nuff said by me, I could go on and on but won't just bring home a damn winner no matter who you are that lands the job openings the Browns have now!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
at least we have something to be excited about.....randy did a good job building up our hopes again after such a crappy year. i just hope that he delivers this time

#brownsgoodkarma
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
not bitter, I just think he did a terrible job. I could care less if he came across as a nice guy, or had class. I don't know him, or will ever meet him. he could be a scumbag for all I know. what I know is he failed, and will get paid off handsomely from Randy.

it's all about wins and losses, nothing else.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
jc

ClevelandBrowns.com is providing quite a bit of detail on the situation.

Browns announce changes

The Browns have just announced that a change has been made at the general manager and head coaching positions.

Stay tuned to ClevelandBrowns.com throughout the day for more.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I hope your wrong about Parcells since he still is UNDER CONTRACT with Miami.

BTW for you guys who don't know, Parcells pulls this every damn year, at the end of eveery seasosn he "contemplates" leaving well don't see it here since Miami did make the playoffs, but this is his schtick his way of getting out of situations, plus we talk to him now WE BROKE RULES. So until he is no longer under contract with Miami mentioning him coming to Cleveland is just as silly as Were gonna get Pace.

Got It?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't know..but what I'm sensing is Lerner has to do a sell job on Cowher who may be uncertain he wants back into coaching. To do that sell job, Lerner has to basically assure him that he will have all the powers he wants to have.

The 53 man roster. His own people in the FO, which means his own GM, etc.
But this is just as hazardous..people with too much control..

If Phil was there, Cowher would have been put into the position of demanding Phil fired. I don't know how COwher feels about Phil, but I don't imagine that the stories of how Cowher did not want to work with Phil Savage would help the selling the whole deal.

Now, Randy did it. He demanded of Phil what he KNEW Phil would not give up. Thus maneuvering Phil to fire himself and now when Randy speaks with Cowher, none of those ugly issues are in the way.

The timing of this means that the Browns are indeed looking for an established HC and they know that THEY want control of the 53 man roster, and some want more.

In essence, the Browns could not pursue Cowher with Phil Savage in place.

Move one. Eliminate Phil. His removal is now unrelated to the pursuit of Cowher in the eyes of the media. The reasons stated will be anything but those.

Move two. Fire Crennel.

Steeler
Steeler
I am excited to see who the next coach will be. This is like Christmas morning all over again!

S
1st String
1st String
S
Quote:

Agreed. Romeo is an honorable man. I wish him the best.

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

BTW for you guys who don't know, Parcells pulls this every damn year, at the end of eveery seasosn he "contemplates" leaving well don't see it here since Miami did make the playoffs, but this is his schtick his way of getting out of situations, plus we talk to him now WE BROKE RULES. So until he is no longer under contract with Miami mentioning him coming to Cleveland is just as silly as Were gonna get Pace.

Got It?

Parcells has an option in the contract that he only has to answer to the current owner, the sale of the team is supposed to be finalized Tuesday at which point Parcells can opt out, that is why there is speculation regarding Parcells.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I am excited to see who the next coach will be. This is like Christmas morning all over again!

You and me both. Let's hope we don't "shoot our eye out."

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Hopefully, not long. There's a LOT of work to be done between now and the end of April (not to mention putting plans together for the upcoming season).

I really don't think Cowher is coming back to coaching this season. I certainly wouldn't mind Marty coming back as either HC OR in a similar capacity that Parcells served with the Dolphins this year. I think Marty is a smart football guy and he knows what it takes to build a winner. I don't think he needs to be the coach to have an a positive impact on an organization.

It's going to be an interesting off-season.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Your asses should have went to Taggarts I showed up.

Steeler
Steeler
I know, but I really really wanted to attend the game.

We'll definitely making a trip over there though sometime!

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Head coach should be in a few weeks.

GM should be in a few days IMO.

you had a good run Hank.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ok one more time, He does this every year. He has the opt out clause sine hell New England. Every year there is speculation about Parcells going somewhere else have you missed that?

It's Parcells he does this all the time, and would I take him hell ya, but WE CAN'T TALK TO HIM LEGALLY NOW SINCE HE IS UNDER CONTRACT. If he leaves then it makes sense but to speculate now is to actually believe were taking the Penn State guy the ESPN ticker has been showing in the draft.

Rookie
Rookie
Good luck Romeo. Not a good fit for the Browns. I wouldn't worry about RAC. He should get a DC position if he decides to stay in the league.

[color:"red"] [b]"and then depression set in..."[/color]
[Linked Image]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Browns fans are ready for the REGULAR & POST seasons to feel like Christmas morning. Been ready . . .

S
1st String
1st String
S
Still sounds like bitterness when you don't give the guy any credit for what he did well - and that is to represent the Browns with some honor. If you want to bash him for being a bad coach, you really should be bashing Lerner and Savage. RAC didn't have the skills to be a head coach in Cleveland - plain and simple. Can you blame RAC for that? Not really. And it's not like he tried to pull the wool over everyone's eyes - he stood up and took the blame for the poor performance. Blame should be placed with the people who put him in the position to fail.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Browns fans are ready for the REGULAR & POST seasons to feel like Christmas morning. Been ready . . .

I'd rather my christmas be preparing for the first playoff game

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
RAC...Class act, great person, wish him & his family well.

Phil, Same thing, thanks for trying, it didnt work out, so we must move on.

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Hey buddy, I'm not saying we should speculate, I'm just stating the reason for the speculation.

But now that you mention that mock that was possibly the worst mock I've ever seen. They had The Chiefs taking Stafford from Georgia, when they already have a pretty good young QB in Thigpen.
I

Legend
Legend
Quote:

BTW for you guys who don't know, Parcells pulls this every damn year, at the end of eveery seasosn he "contemplates" leaving well don't see it here since Miami did make the playoffs, but this is his schtick his way of getting out of situations,

Fletch, let me catch you up on a few things..

Parcells, to my knowledge hasn't said a thing... Also, there is reportedly an out clause in his contract if Wayne Huizinga sells the team which was reported that he has done.

So what people are thinking is that Parcells may want out and he has the ability to get out based on the reported out clause.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

It depends.

First Lerner is going to talk to the guys he will hand over the whole ball of wax...Cowher as an example...don't know how many other of those he would consider.

If he can't do that...and I think he will try to do that quickly...then it is hire the GM...Pioli is open for interview now.

If we get a Cowher..it will probably happen in a week. If not, the GM will be hired maybe a week after next...the coach a week after that unless he is on a playoff team..

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Romeo Crennel officially out as coach

Link Copied to Clipboard