Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
I never really paid attention to the Patriots in any meaningful way while RAC was there.

Assuming he was the one calling the defensive plays, what kind of defense did they have? I know it was a 3-4, but was it a very aggressive type, like the Steelers play, or was it more like the "bend don't break" that we've had these past few years?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I would like Crennel on the staff, though it would be kinda awkward I think for the players to have their head coach back but with way less power, and for Crennel to be answering to Mangini instead of vice versa (remember in 2005 we tried to hire Mangini as DC with Crennel as HC). Crennel isn't cut out for being a head coach, but he is one of the best at devising defensive schemes and gameplans in the NFL.

[Linked Image from i232.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Crennel isn't cut out for being a head coach, but he is one of the best at devising defensive schemes and gameplans in the NFL.

Hrmmm...what team was he doing that for over the past 4 years? I don't think it was with us.

Ha ha ha....made me laugh.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Spectre- You are missing this point...

Rarely do you see players step up and say they are sad to see a coach go, too. Look at all the other coaching changes in the league.

Only two teams have had players step up and say they didn't want to see the coach leave... New York, and Denver.

That should tell you something, too.

Again, that's just what you're reading. The article Pit posted even said that there were few tears shed for his departure.

I'm not saying that the guy isn't in my Top 5 in terms of candidates available and I realize that he's going to be our next coach. What I am saying is that the New England lite that we're trying to install here was a dismal failure, and I would really have liked to see a change from that. Instead, you're going to be looking at a former New England defensive coordinator at HC, another at DC (yes, Romeo will be our defensive coordinator, I'd put money on it) and another Raven front office exec at GM. We're bringing in 3 years of high level experience at our top 2 positions and Mangini supposedly has conflicts all over the place. Want to know some of the reasons Mangini was let go? Because he didn't have the fire the owner wanted, because he made goofs with in-game calls and because his defense was soft and didn't rush well enough. Sound familiar?

In essence, we're putting together New England lite without either of the guys that made it happen (Belichick and Pioli). If we brought Pioli in instead of this guy at GM that no one shows any interest in, my opinion would be completely different. If we had a Pioli/Mangini combo, it would definitely be worth giving a shot. I just don't see how building a franchise exclusively around Mangini is going to bring us success.

The one thing I wanted after this season was some healthy change and if we actually go through with Mangini/Kokinis, I don't even understand how we can say we accomplished that very basic goal. It seems that Lerner is so hell bent on copying the Patriots formula that he'll either succeed or die trying. The problem is, there's no magic formula for success. This organization deserves a better approach than what Lerner has given us IMO.

We're... we're good?
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Quote:

Quote:

Crennel isn't cut out for being a head coach, but he is one of the best at devising defensive schemes and gameplans in the NFL.

Hrmmm...what team was he doing that for over the past 4 years? I don't think it was with us.

Ha ha ha....made me laugh.

As bad as our defense was the past 4 years, it wasn't b/c of scheme. Against New England last year Crennel's gameplan slowed the Patriots the most of any team until the winter weather slowed them, and it was the one the Giants used to beat the 16-0s in the super bowl. A lot of people complain about not blitzing, but with that talent blitzing was always futile. Our schemes were always pretty solid, our execution and talent poor.

[Linked Image from i232.photobucket.com]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

In essence, we're putting together New England lite without either of the guys that made it happen (Belichick and Pioli). If we brought Pioli in instead of this guy at GM that no one shows any interest in, my opinion would be completely different. If we had a Pioli/Mangini combo, it would definitely be worth giving a shot. I just don't see how building a franchise exclusively around Mangini is going to bring us success.

I'm not sure how picking guys from the Bellichik tree before will have any bearing on the guys we select now, the fact that we're also looking at a GM that apparently no one else has makes no difference either. Besides us and KC who else needs a GM right now? I really don't know.

Even your concerns about building around Mangini are puzzling,...What had Belichick accomplished as a HC before NE paid dearly for him?

P
Legend
Legend
P
In essance Spetre, we had two guys who couldn't work together.

This time any way it goes, we'll have two guys that do.

It's really that simple. No trees, no hanging chads.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I'm not sure how picking guys from the Bellichik tree before will have any bearing on the guys we select now, the fact that we're also looking at a GM that apparently no one else has makes no difference either. Besides us and KC who else needs a GM right now? I really don't know.

Even your concerns about building around Mangini are puzzling,...What had Belichick accomplished as a HC before NE paid dearly for him?

I bet he at least came with the Parcells seal of approval, which is more than Mangini comes with. Belichick would probably punch Mangini in the face if he could. I'm not just talking about a GM position for Kokinis, I'm talking about anyone expressing any interest at all in him for any upgraded position.

What I'm saying is that the Belichick tree doesn't exist yet. Romeo failed, Weis failed, Mangini failed and now we're going back to the pool to dip yet. Maybe he's a great coach who simply doesn't grow good assistants. The point is, we tried tapping it once and failed so now we're going to do the exact same thing all over again? If your whole goal is emulating the organization and you have a shot at Pioli, why not take it and let him do it. I think he knows how to better than Lerner.

We're... we're good?
Legend
Legend
As far as Mangini being too tough on players, well I think most players would prefer a little discipline as it helps them focus, the players that don't are more than likely unhappy with their own performance but can't accept the inevitable fact they suck and don't like being called on it as reality often times hurts.

So I suppose I'm warming to this guy as it certainly appears that we're going to have him whether we like it or not. As far as Kokinis goes, if what I read in this thread or the other thread, (who the hell knows which at this point) is that Baltimore is only going to let him leave if he has Savages authority, if that's truly the case, we should let him walk. Giving Savage that much authority was an insane move and we don't really need to go down that road again.

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

In essance Spetre, we had two guys who couldn't work together.

This time any way it goes, we'll have two guys that do.

It's really that simple. No trees, no hanging chads.

Getting along together is great and all but if you're not qualified for the job, you shouldn't be getting hired. Lerner is so in love with Mangini that he's willing to let him dictate his GM hire to someone who isn't even 2nd in command in Baltimore, where Ozzie runs the show anyway (as we learned from Savage). If we miss with our GM, it won't really matter who is coaching the team because we won't have the talent to field anyway.

I would much rather take Pioli (who I know is qualified) and let him hire another guy who will work with him who is also qualified. I don't see what's so wrong with wanting two people who are qualified AND work together well?

We're... we're good?
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'd take that with a grain of salt Tulsa.

As much as Baltimore would "like" to set the ground rules, I think the league has already done that.

A GM title would not be a lateral move, it would be a promotion. Despite what the Rats "want", I believe that the NFL sets the rules, not Baltimore.

But I'm sure if that's wrong, somebody will let me know.

And I'd cerainly like a better explanation on that myself. But I'm of the firm belief that if we elevate him to GM status, regardless of the structure, Baltimore would have no say in the matter due to NFL rules already in place on the matter.

JMHO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Getting along together is great and all but if you're not qualified for the job, you shouldn't be getting hired. Lerner is so in love with Mangini that he's willing to let him dictate his GM hire to someone who isn't even 2nd in command in Baltimore, where Ozzie runs the show anyway (as we learned from Savage).

How is that any different than letting someone who simply "maintained" a teams staus dictate a rookie HC to Lerner?

And on what grounds are you basing that Kok isn't qualified? A gut feeling?

If so, here...........

So by your theory, we should NEVER hire someone from Baltimore because Phil didn't work?

We should NEVER hire someone from NE because RAC didn't work? I guess that leaves Pioli out too huh? Like I said, I hear you keep saying Kok isn't qualified, but I don't hear you saying why you believe that.............

Quote:

If we miss with our GM, it won't really matter who is coaching the team because we won't have the talent to field anyway.

Really? So if a guy can handle the cap and scout good talent, why wouldn't he make a good GM? Look Bud, we need dicipline and accountability on the sidelines, in practice and in training camp. NO GM brings that to the table.

Quote:

I would much rather take Pioli (who I know is qualified) and let him hire another guy who will work with him who is also qualified.

And why is Pioli so qualified? What did "Pioli build"? He inherrited what he got and "maintained it". I know a lot of good maintenance men who can't build. When it comes to "turning things around", Mangini has the edge over Pioi IMO.

Quote:

I don't see what's so wrong with wanting two people who are qualified AND work together well?

If that had been pssible, I think Pioli would have already been inked. IMO he wants TOTAL innexperience at the HC position.

You ready for that for the fourth time? Why else would Lerner balk? It's certainly not a money issue..........

JMHO

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

What I'm saying is that the Belichick tree doesn't exist yet. Romeo failed, Weis failed, Mangini failed and now we're going back to the pool to dip yet. Maybe he's a great coach who simply doesn't grow good assistants. The point is, we tried tapping it once and failed so now we're going to do the exact same thing all over again?

Is Lerner wanting Mangini based on the Pats/Bellichik connection or is it more about a young HC who's suddenly available, had 2 winning seasons out of 3 and appears to be a guy that can instill some leadership, and most of all discipline in our team?

Legend
Legend
D. All of the above

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

What I'm saying is that the Belichick tree doesn't exist yet. Romeo failed, Weis failed, Mangini failed and now we're going back to the pool to dip yet. Maybe he's a great coach who simply doesn't grow good assistants. The point is, we tried tapping it once and failed so now we're going to do the exact same thing all over again?

Is Lerner wanting Mangini based on the Pats/Bellichik connection or is it more about a young HC who's suddenly available, had 2 winning seasons out of 3 and appears to be a guy that can instill some leadership, and most of all discipline in our team?

Or maybe a combination of the 2nd option, on top of his interview and how he came off. It sounds like Manigini has a plan in place, and will enforce more discipline than Romeo did.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Bob Kraft is his mentor. I guarantee you that if he never coached for the Patriots, Lerner wouldn't be fawning all over him.

Look it's not like I don't like the guy as a choice. He's definitely in my Top 5 for candidates, I just don't like how as soon as Mangini became available, our process ground to a halt. Lerner finished up any remaining scheduled interviews, stopped seriously pursuing Pioli and started to give Mangini whatever he needed. I came into this expecting a football savvy front office being put into place and doing a diligent coaching search. Instead, we get to hear about Lerner "falling in love" with a candidate and doing this all himself.

I hope Mangini does well and I certainly think it's possible. He's smart and is a disciplinarian, but he's also another quiet Belichick guy who coaches a soft defense and makes questionable in-game decisions. I hope that changes for our sake. I just feel that this process hasn't really been as well thought out as it should be after 4 years but rather, it was headed in that direction until Mangini's name popped up and then after that, it was all about him.

We're... we're good?
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I never really paid attention to the Patriots in any meaningful way while RAC was there.

Assuming he was the one calling the defensive plays, what kind of defense did they have? I know it was a 3-4, but was it a very aggressive type, like the Steelers play, or was it more like the "bend don't break" that we've had these past few years?

I would say that it's not much different from what we saw here in Cleveland. The main difference being that over there, the defense was very disciplined - everyone did their jobs and the pressure came not from aggressive tactics but from everyone being where they needed to be. He did like get to get exotic over there on occasion, much like he did in his first stint here - every now and again they'd go into a roving 1-5-5. I'd say that things were a lot more vanilla over here, but there wasn't much flash over there to begin with...just everyone executing. I think the lack of talent caused RAC to tone it down to the snooze schemes we saw (and I think he toned it down too much).

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Yeah RAC knows defense, he does..no matter how pathetic a HC he was. However its a moot point.

You can't bring back the former HC in a reduced role, these are real people, with real human nature. If a fantasy land, or video game...yes having RAC as your DC makes sense from an X's and O's point of view.

Then again what should we expect from an owner who interviewed one of the hottest GM guys is Pioli...and didn't hire him because he didnt bow down to the Mangini fetish Randy has.

But if you look at the bigger picture here:

Hhhhmmm who would know better about who should be the HC...a top notch player director who has been under one of the 5 best HC's in the leagues history and who personally knows Mangiless?

..............or...............

A two bit owner trying to copycat the Crafts like some 5 year little brother does his older sibling.

I'll use my head instead of getting drunk on the koolaid folks.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Yeah RAC knows defense, he does..no matter how pathetic a HC he was. However its a moot point.

You can't bring back the former HC in a reduced role, these are real people, with real human nature. If a fantasy land, or video game

It's just hilarious that some of the same people that told me I was living in a playstation world by virtue of expecting more out of the coaching staff and players....are some of the very same people that think/want Crennelephant (credit to dawgpound07 for the awesome name, sorry had to steal it) to remain as DC..... it cracks me up

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It wouldn't create another learning curve if he did come back in. (lol, didn't know if anyone noticed me calling him Crennelephant before).

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I disagree.

I think Lerner wants whats best for the Browns and is working toward that end. None of us can say how this will pan out... so I don't see the since in all the hate.

Everybody is hating on Lerner, RAC, PS, potential coaches, Players, etc.

If Lerner puts a team together that takes us to a Super Bowl (or 2 or 3 ) then he will be a genius. If not... then we'll be just like 30 other clubs who did not make it to the big dance. Either way I doubt Lerner's "Fetishes" hinder our progression.

I'm not pimping Mangini... but Tony Soprano called him ManGenius....

As for Pioli, I don't now anything about him other than what's been said here.

I will say that Lerner has the most to lose so I think we should give him a break and let him be the owner of our team... especially when the team needs an owner who WANTS to WIN.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

If that had been pssible, I think Pioli would have already been inked. IMO he wants TOTAL innexperience at the HC position.

You ready for that for the fourth time? Why else would Lerner balk? It's certainly not a money issue..........

Pitt here are my thoughts for what it's worth, based off what I have seen in print.

Pioli wants what no team will give.. A NO fire me clause is my guess. Now before you dismiss the idea think about it for just 1 moment. It has been reported that Mr Potatohead thinks our cap is in trouble and that the draft picks PS gave away this season will be tuff to overcome. Then I also read where "sources", said Mr Potatohead doesn't think the Browns have the talent to win NOW. Therefore I think he wants to be assured that he will be given the time to re-build the team of that much I'm damned certain.

My bet is that Pioli wants the no fire clause if I were RL that is the only thing that would stop me dead in my tracks. I'm not certain how anyone would work such a deal, or if RL would ever be receptive to such a clause..

JMHGuess

BTTB

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
All Pro
All Pro
I sure hope he isn't...no one is worth having a no fire clause in their contract.....If that is the case, then I think we steer clear of this guy....that is just how it is these days....do I think it's fair....not really.....but it's like this....you want the big bucks, then you got to take the big risks.....no way does somebody come in here, guaranteed not to get fired.....THAT WOULD BE THE MOST $#%^&* THING that I have ever heard of.....!!!! The more I think about it the more it upsets me........can I ask where you heard this...I would like to read about it....and this team is not that bad off.......I guarantee we have more talent than 1/2 to 3/4 of the teams in the NFL right now.....we just need the right coaches and staff in here......So it's a good thing they are looking to bring in a guy who has a losing record as a coach.....a GM who is "possibly" wanting a no-fire clause in his contract.....I can't wait to see who they hire as their coord.....I hear that BOZO the clown is looking......may as well complete the circus.......... ..... ....... ........

[Linked Image]
"Winning is not a some time thing, it's an all the time thing" ....-Lombardi-
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Then again what should we expect from an owner who interviewed one of the hottest GM guys is Pioli...and didn't hire him because he didnt bow down to the Mangini fetish Randy has.

He wanted a damned rookie HC. Three times wasn't enough for you already?

Quote:

Hhhhmmm who would know better about who should be the HC...a top notch player director who has been under one of the 5 best HC's in the leagues history and who personally knows Mangiless?

Yeah, he has experience finding and hiring HC's. NOT!

Quote:

A two bit owner trying to copycat the Crafts like some 5 year little brother does his older sibling.

Who just happens to pay the bills. Wheather you like that or not Skippy.

Quote:

I'll use my head instead of getting drunk on the koolaid folks.

Obviously you already are.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I won't dismiss your theory because I have nothing to base that on one way or the other. I'll tell you what I do know and what I base my theory on..........

It was said that Pioli made demands "no owner would meet".

Lerner said he would not be hiring a college coach.

So my theory is pretty basic. Pioli asked for the moon! And such a clause you believe may have been a part of that, I have no idea. But his demands were obviously unrealistic.

Pioli is in a win/win position. How could he hurt himself staying in NE? He couldn't. This gives him the position to ask for the moon. And with Mangini available, it gave Lerner the option of not giving him the moon.

If you have a solid coach and a guy in the FO who can find talent and manage the cap, they can both come out looking like geniuses. A good GM with poor coaching? Not so smart IMO

I've seen enough coaching experiements. If we can land a guy who was a winner two out of three seasons?

Remember, three of the last four SB's were won by NFL HC's on their second team. I'll go with what's proved to have worked here lately!

I guess people around here thinks Lerner should hire a guy, who after interviewing him, gave him a counter offer and left the door open for him. But he refused to walk back through it? Absurd.....

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

You can't bring back the former HC in a reduced role, these are real people, with real human nature.

Wasn't Gunther Cunningham the HC of the Chiefs at one time.... and now the DC/Linebackers coach.....

I'm not sure if that's the only example..might be.

Quote:

What has Pioli actually done.. I mean can you point to ONE thing that he is totally responsible for without the help or guidence of Belichick? I can't and that's what bothers me most about Pioli.

Quote:

Remember something.. Belichick and maybe Pioli got caught cheating and the guy that blew the whistle is Mangini.. so there is hard feelings there. And hard feelings cloud judgement.

Also, keep in mind, when Mangini left the Pats to become the HC of the Jets, there seemed to be hard feelings between Belichick and Mangini. Never understood it, but it sure seemed that way.

Too many hard feelings to take this situation at face value as you appear to be doing. JMO

So does Pioli not want Mangini because he doesn't think he's a good head coach, or does he not want him because of the hard feelings that have developed?

We already know that Mangini had a decent record with an ageing team... so I don't think it's because he's a bad coach.. JMO

Quote:

two bit owner trying to copycat the Crafts like some 5 year little brother does his older sibling.

I'll use my head instead of getting drunk on the koolaid folks

WOW,, now randy lerner is a 2 bit owner... wow..

If indeed you are correct that he is copycating Kraft,, I'd say thats' better than copying Al Davis or the folks in KC or the folks in Detroit... I mean if you are going to copy the methods of someone, might as well be someone that was successful don't you think.

Although I'm not sure how you come up with him copying Kraft.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
j/k

I found this short article about what the Browns need in a new HC. What I find more interesting is the source of this article.

Also, earlier in this thread someone posted something about Mangini being too hard on his players when he first got to NY but did mellow a little this past season.

Finding the right balance on how tough a coach should be on his players is a tough call. At least Mangini has some experience in finding that balance.

My focus in this article is posted in red...the rest of the article is the writers opinion, which I disagree with.

Browns need a proven winner as next head coach
COMMENT: Who should coach the Browns?
By Sean McClelland

Staff Writer

Monday, January 05, 2009

Retiring Cleveland Browns linebacker Willie McGinest had this to say on an NFL Network show over the weekend:

"Whatever coach comes into that system is going to have to crack the whip and get them organized. There's a lot of talent on that team, you just have to put it all together."

It's the most scathing indictment yet of fired head coach Romeo Crennel (who should not, by the way, be invited back as defensive coordinator under any circumstances). And this from a guy who always seemed to have Crennel's back, someone handpicked by the coach to provide veteran leadership.

McGinest confirms what we suspected: Crennel would make a nice neighbor, but in finding the right buttons to push on an NFL team, he more resembled your dopey uncle.

The trick now for owner Randy Lerner is not to swing too far the other way. Yes, you want more discipline. No, you don't need to dig up Vince Lombardi.

Assuming Mike Shanahan isn't interested, the Browns should explore the possibility of Brian Billick, who has a career record of 80-64 and won a Super Bowl, you may remember, with Trent Dilfer playing quarterback.

Billick had a reputation for being a "player's coach" in Baltimore and that works against him, but I'm not sure that makes fired New York Jets coach and alleged frontrunner Eric Mangini, with a three-year record of 23-25, a better option.

It's worrisome, because Mangini hasn't won anything, and the Browns desperately need someone who has.

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2408 or [Email]smcclelland@coxohio.com.[/Email]

web page

Last edited by mac; 01/06/09 11:10 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
J
Legend
Legend
J
Quote:

"Whatever coach comes into that system is going to have to crack the whip and get them organized. There's a lot of talent on that team, you just have to put it all together."

It's a very telling comment about the players we have.....not a lot of self-discipline there. Which means we do need a hard"er" ass as a coach. I think Mangini might be just the right guy. I think he'll learn from whatever mistakes he may have made in the past. I don't understand the people up in arms over the possibility of him getting the job. I really wanted Marty back, but it looks like Lerner has no interest. But, I don't have the seemingly irrational worries about Mangini that some appear to have.

And what's with the Billick talk? Dear God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think it's a lock for Mangini..and Kokinis..however I reserve some feelings if it happens..because I want to see a better draft and FA period in their first year than what Opie did..
His first draft on the second day was absymal..almost like he just grabed whatever garbage was out there..

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

I think it's a lock for Mangini..and Kokinis..however I reserve some feelings if it happens..because I want to see a better draft and FA period in their first year than what Opie did..
His first draft on the second day was absymal..almost like he just grabed whatever garbage was out there..

Personally, I don't think Savage did all that bad in the draft and FA....We got Braylon in the 1st.....Brodney Pool in the 2nd.....aquired Cribbs as an undrafted Free Agent......not sure about 3-7........

[Linked Image]
"Winning is not a some time thing, it's an all the time thing" ....-Lombardi-
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

since he isn't going to coach the bengals, i guess i'll root for him going to denver.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wasn't hip on RAC as DC but I figure if Mangini wants him that's fine with me.

I do believe this though...RAC has the character, the small ego to take his newly reduced roll and do the job.

That aspect does not worry me in the least!

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Quote:

I do believe this though...RAC has the character, the small ego to take his newly reduced roll and do the job.

That aspect does not worry me in the least!

I've never worried about talks of RC being around either. My opinion is that he would let it be known he isn't calling the shots. He really came across as a professional, even if he was in over his head.

I'm grateful for Browns football.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Pioli is in a win/win position. How could he hurt himself staying in NE? He couldn't.

If Pioli is the most sought after F/O type out there right now, I don't see how him going back to NE after all this can look favorable. The "impossible demands" strapped to him now makes him look more like an ego maniac and could make him difficult to work with.

Also,...if we're waiting to hear back from him, did Lerner tell him "no Ferentz" or did he concede to everything Pioli wanted?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
His drafting on the second day was weak..and he wasn't drafting specifically for the 34 ..he said so.
So that conflicts with his plan..what was he doing then?
Sounds like he wasn't trying to help his coach.

J
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J
Quote:

Quote:

since he isn't going to coach the bengals, i guess i'll root for him going to denver.

Why is there all this hate on Billick? I can't for the life of me figure out why. Winning record, super bowl winner, is it because he coached the team that was stolen from us? Or do you just not like the Coors Light commercials? I'd much rather have him than some dopey rookie HC.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N

Mangini Lining Up Coaches for Browns Job --
Mon Jan 5, 2009

ESPN's John Clayton reports former Jets HC Eric Mangini apparently feels good about his chances for being the next coach of the Browns. He is calling assistant coaching candidates trying to line them up for spots with Cleveland. There is no question Mangini is the leading candidate for the job.

nordawg

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why is there all this hate on Billick? I can't for the life of me figure out why. Winning record, super bowl winner, is it because he coached the team that was stolen from us? Or do you just not like the Coors Light commercials? I'd much rather have him than some dopey rookie HC.

IIRC, when the Browns came back in 99, one of the potential HC's was Billick and he said, he didn't want the challenge of an expansion team. Instead, he went to work for Modell, the worst possible person to work for, at least for a Browns fan. I think that leaves a bitter taste in some people's mouths for him.

Personally, I don't give a flying fig who coaches or is the GM of this team, as long as a winning team is put on the field. Abbott and Costello, the 3 Stooges, I don't care. Just win!

I initially didn't want a rookie HC, but now I don't care. If a rookie can produce, so be it.

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'd like to know what his QB plans are for the 2009 season (seeing is how Kok and him are probably on the same page). Heck, I bet that's the first question asked at his press conference.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Quote:

But if you look at the bigger picture here:

This is from a Pioli bio:

Quote:

In 1992, Pioli was hired as a pro personnel assistant by now-Patriots coach Bill Belichick, then the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. Even without prior NFL scouting experience, Belichick put Pioli in charge of evaluating college players and handling some player contracts.

When Belichick was fired following the Browns' move to Baltimore in 1996, Pioli stayed with the Ravens and was promoted to director of pro personnel.

A year later, in 1997, Pioli rejoined Belichick, who had followed Bill Parcells as an assistant coach to the New York Jets. Again the director of pro personnel, Pioli's moves helped the Jets to a franchise-high 12 wins and their first AFC East title in 20 years.

When Belichick accepted the Patriots' head coaching position in 2000, Pioli again followed Belichick as the Patriots' assistant director of player personnel.

Basically he has followed Belichick around for 14 years.. he's hired exactly ZERO head coaches... in fact it would be pretty easy to make the argument (since it seems to be the popular argument for not hiring any Pats assistants) that Pioli's entire reputaion is based on Bill Belichick's success.... I'm not arguing for or against Pioli (other than if the rumor about Ferentz is true, I'm not really excited about Ferentz as our HC).. but what does Pioli have on his resume that he can claim he did that can't also be attributed to Belichick? Did Pioli hire Weiss or RAC or Mangini or McDaniels or did Belichick? Pioli's resume for the last 14 years is essentially Belichicks resume with an asterisk that says... *I was there for this too .....

yebat' Putin
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Reports say Mangini out as Jets' head coach

Link Copied to Clipboard