Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
All Pro
All Pro
I thought that if Pioli comes, he will be bringing his head coach with him.....

Attached Images
502352-Marty.jpg (0 Bytes, 21 downloads)

[Linked Image]
"Winning is not a some time thing, it's an all the time thing" ....-Lombardi-
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I thought that if Pioli comes, he will be bringing his head coach with him.....

U never know... Hopefully Pioli will take a look at history when it comes to bringing college coaches to the pros.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
I think this is what the delay on Scott is,....Lerner doesn't want Ferentz either,...I haven't read a single lone post, not one, that says getting Kirkie is a good idea.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

I think this is what the delay on Scott is,....Lerner doesn't want Ferentz either,...I haven't read a single lone post, not one, that says getting Kirkie is a good idea.

Im not sure if its a good idea or not but if it happens and the right assistants are put in place, Im all for it and would watch and hope it works.

Legend
Legend
I go Shanahan first. Too much bad hype on these college guys. If you would be counting on "the right assistants," then you have the wrong guy in the first place.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Good point.

Ive said before that I dont want a college coach. If it happens, I wouldnt be upset. But it could work. There has to be a reason Pioli likes him that much and we all know that he was Savages first selection if Ferentz wanted the job. They get paid to do this, so Im putting my blind faith in them, if they did go that direction. Between his college assistants then add in Romeo and/or Mangini, they have a good chance to succeed. Thats alot of football knowledge. I havnt been a huge fan of the 3-4 (at least add some 4-3 to it) but Ferentz knows the 3-4.

I wouldnt be upset if the Browns picked a head coach and switched to the 4-3 either. We have the players that can play in both defenses. Either way, LBs are needed.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Where would you put DQ. in 4-3 ???

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
doesn't his skill set serve well as a weakside backer, like lance briggs? then take the guy outta sc for inside linebacker and...put leon or kameron at the other position. or put wimbley at DE after he gains some weight.

Last edited by dong; 12/31/08 06:49 PM.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
If it's gonna be a college coach, it's gotta be Urban Meyer.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Where would you put DQ. in 4-3 ???

I guess I would have to put him weakside. He would probabley do better then Ben Taylor, Rudd and Chaun Thompson. I would like more size in a 4-3 MLB.

They wouldnt have a current 4-3 MLB right now and I dont know who would play strongside.

But Williams and Rogers could play inside and Smith could play DE for now????????

Wimbley, maybe try him out at DE?????

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think what I 'm trying to say is ; No matter a 3-4 or a Four - three , we still be trouble at LB !

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I am not saying that you are wrong....However , Ferentz name has been mentioned and supported on this board in past seasons....Personally , I am pushing for McKay & Shanahan or Pioli & Shanahan....Under both situations Shanahan's main responsibility would be to coach the team.....

The Mammal
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

I go Shanahan first. Too much bad hype on these college guys. If you would be counting on "the right assistants," then you have the wrong guy in the first place.

I think about the only thing that's more important that "the coach" in general is that the GM and the coach share philosophies. There may be "better" coaches out there than whoever is chosen, but if the GM and the coach aren't on the same page (sound familiar) - its not going to work.

Ferentz is a solid coach, was Baltimore's choice last year over Harbaugh (although he wasn't interested), and does have a pro background - so he's not new to the pro level in general. With an experienced OC/DC and EVERYONE on the same page - we at least have a chance.

Whether he's Scott's first pick or not, I'm not sure he wants to leave Iowa/come to the pros anyway - he's turned down enough opportunities...

Regardless - getting the right GM in place is the first objective for a reason - he needs to be able to select the best coach he can work with - not whoever is the most "successful" coach available. That's an easy thing to overlook.

JMO

danglet #338263 12/31/08 07:23 PM
Legend
Legend
I'm just getting the feeling Kirk is a shoo-in now,....and I'm on the "NO college coach bandwagon."

Ferentz has previous Cleveland ties too.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
i was thinking wimbley on the end as well.....wasnt that is natural position in college anyway?

Wimbley, Rodgers, WIlliams, and R.Smith sounds like a nice DL to me

get DQ to play olb, that usc kid(or ray lewis via FA to teach him) at ilb, and Willie as the other olb and i think we would be tuff as a 4-3

#brownsgoodkarma
Legend
Legend
If pioli means hiring Kirk then Pioli can stay in NE

Legend
Legend
If you manage to get Lewis here to "train" The Luga, then I make Ray go outside before letting Willie even see the field. He is done.

He's my next LB coach though,......

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
offer him a one or two year deal loaded with incintives....he has a couple good years left in him....he would work with our LB and i think make a huge difference....Willie tore it up this year and will probly come back next year....i just wanted to get the experiance out there and let the young pups watch the big dogs eat and learn from them

#brownsgoodkarma
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Julius Peppers in fa.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
i just hope whoever takes over isnt afraid to make the FA splash that savage used to do all the time.

#brownsgoodkarma
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Pioli and Shanahan..SUPER BOWL!!!!

I don't know about that Attack... Pioli must want to have full control in order to make a move,,,,, why would he leave otherwise.. and Shanahan is reported to want full control..

maybe it's just me, but that sounds like a recipe for disaster....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
1st String
1st String
D
Clicking:
Maybe a "bug in the ointment?"

Patriots' Pioli on clock with Browns?
by Mary Kay Cabot Thursday January 01, 2009, 4:08 AM

Scott Pioli interviewed for the Browns' GM job with Randy Lerner on Wednesday.

Patriots Vice President Scott Pioli has until today to decide whether or not to take the Browns job, the Boston Herald reported late Wednesday night, citing sources familiar with the negotiation. Browns owner Randy Lerner interviewed Pioli Wednesday in New York and they parted without a deal, but with Pioli on the clock.
The Herald, according to one source, said some Browns insiders felt Pioli's demands were so high that perhaps he didn't really want to leave New England.

Pioli has also received permission to interview with the Kansas City Chiefs, and originally intended to go through with that interview, a source told the Plain Dealer. The Browns, meanwhile, were scheduled to meet with Falcons President Rich McKay today. If both of those interviews takes place, it could spell the end for Pioli and the Browns.

Several other factors have come into play.

Lerner headed into his first round of interviews with a deep interest in fired Jets coach Eric Mangini, a source told the Plain Dealer. It remains to be seen if Pioli and Mangini could work together after Spygate.

If Lerner's infatuation with Mangini survived their interview, he may be having to make a choice. Lerner is intent on landing the right coach, an insider said, because it's a better indicator of success.

The Herald is also reporting that Pioli's top choice for a head coach is Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz, his longtime buddy from their Cleveland days in the early 1990s. But Lerner admitted in an interview with Cleveland reporters Monday that he's "apprehensive'' about hiring a college coach.

If Lerner did try the college route, he'd more likely go after Florida coach Urban Meyer, an Ashtabula, O. native, a source told the Plain Dealer. But it remains to be seen if they'll interview him. Meyer's Gators will play Oklahoma for the national championship Jan.8.

Pioli also likes Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who's received permission to the talk to the Browns. The Browns also planned to schedule an interview with fired Broncos coach Mike Shanahan, the Plain Dealer reported Wednesday.

The Herald reported that Lerner was prepared to make "a huge'' financial offer to Pioli, but according to sources, some of Pioli's demands were impossible for any team to meet.

Legend
Legend
I wonder what demands would be impossible for a billionaire to meet? Must not be just money?

It actually sounds like Lerner is spending his holiday on his private jet flying around like a crazy man interviewing everyone he can to get a sense of all those in contention.

It's a whirlwind tour of interviews....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Happy New Year Dawg

I was wondering the same thing ??? Maybe Lerner should be talking to Marty ??

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Please Randy, get Marty in here like yesterday!!!!!!!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ya have to wonder about these young wanabe's Savage - Pioli and such !

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

He did a good job in Tampa...and the Atlanta turnaround is due in large part to him. Ryan isn't the only reason Atl turned around.

Vick hurt that team bad...and that wasn't something anybody could predict.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Vick was an ALBATROSS around the neck of the Falcons franchise. Vick getting thrown in jail got them off the salary cap hook that was Mike Vick. The Falcons got lucky as it couldn't have happened any other way. A million to one shot......

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

The football coach at the HS I work was best man at Meyers' wedding or vice versa. I might be able to get some inside scoops then

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

The football coach at the HS I work was best man at Meyers' wedding or vice versa. I might be able to get some inside scoops then

I would be interested in that....

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
THere is another thread that has this article posted on here.. I responded to it and I think I made a good point (I'm never really sure about that LOL )

Anyway, I think that Pioli is just using some old tactics to get the best deal for himself. I'd expect nothing less to be honest.

But here's the deal. I kinda have been thinking I like McKay better. Naturally, we don't get the benefit of sitting down with these guys so all we have is thier individual records and sound bites and some stories on them.

But based on all of that, I still come away thinking that McKay is the better fit for this job.

Let's face it during his time in Tampa, he had 2 HC's and a whole bunch of winning seasons including a Superbowl.

Now look at where Tampa has been since he's been gone... Not the same at all.

OK,, to further make my point, let's look at Pioli. Maybe he's the real deal and maybe not. We don't know.. Here is what we do know. Belichick rules the roost up there in NE. He's the boss of bosses so to speak.

Maybe Pioli did a great job of lining up guys for Belichick to look at, (speaking of the draft and FA's) but in the end, I'm convinced that Belichick made the final decisions. Whereas, it appears that McKay made the final decisions in Tampa.

But you don't want to take my word on any of this... I'm a little bias. I'm not a big fan of the NE Tree right now. With the lone exception being Mangini.

Here's a little slice of info on Mckay for you all to digest... Just think about it..

Quote:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
As general manager for the Buccaneers from 1993 to 2003, McKay directed six teams that reached the NFC playoffs and one team that won a Super Bowl title. In 1996, McKay hired Tony Dungy as head coach, and in 1999 the Bucs played in the NFC championship game.

During his tenure as general manager, McKay drafted the following players: Mike Alstott (1996), Ronde Barber (1997), and Warrick Dunn (1997). He is often mis credited with drafting Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks & John Lynch. He tried to hire Marvin Lewis to be the head coach of the Buccaneers in 2002 after Dungy was fired but was overruled by the Glazers, who then hired their own coach Jon Gruden. McKay constructed the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers roster that featured 7 Pro Bowl players. Also, the Buccaneers' 41 Pro Bowl selections between 1997 through 2002 were the most in the NFL.

The entire piece is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_McKay

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
That would be cool.

Call me crazy, but I'm starting to think that Meyer is be the #1 guy on several teams radars right now. Meyer's game preparation is absolute. Plus, In 2008, we saw the zone-read offense arrive in the NFL. The zone read worked well for several teams. - Just think how well it would work with Meyer running it.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Not a Browns interview but I would like to see Rex Ryan out of Baltimore

Jets receive permission to talk with Ravens defensive coordinator Ryan
Dec. 31, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- The New York Jets have received permission to speak with Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan for their vacant coaching job, a person familiar with the search told the Associated Press on Wednesday.

With Bill Cowher withdrawing his name from consideration Tuesday night, the Jets are setting their sights elsewhere, with an ever-growing list of candidates that could include fired Denver coach Mike Shanahan.

Whether Brett Favre plays for the Jets' new coach remains to be seen. The 39-year-old quarterback reportedly has a torn biceps tendon in his right arm that doesn't require major surgery, but he'll likely take several weeks before deciding whether he wants to return for a 19th season.

Jets owner Woody Johnson and general manager Mike Tannenbaum have both said they'd like to have Favre back. But whoever is hired as the head coach will have significant input on the decision, according to the person, who requested anonymity because the individual wasn't authorized to discuss the search.

No formal interview had been scheduled with the 46-year-old Ryan, who's in his fourth season leading the Ravens' defense. He has also served this season as assistant head coach to John Harbaugh.

Ryan is the son of former NFL coach Buddy Ryan, and is the twin brother of Oakland defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. Rex Ryan was a candidate for the Ravens job after Brian Billick was fired last season, and also interviewed for the vacant Miami and Atlanta jobs.

The Ravens will play at Miami in the playoffs on Sunday.

The Jets, who fired Eric Mangini on Monday, will interview a pair of in-house candidates Friday: offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and offensive line coach Bill Callahan, who also served as assistant head coach under Mangini.

New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo will meet with the team Saturday.

The person familiar with the search said the team is doing its due diligence in considering several candidates, including Shanahan and Marty Schottenheimer. No formal discussions were scheduled as of early Wednesday night.

Shanahan, fired by Denver on Tuesday night, could become the No. 1 target on the Jets' list. At a news conference in Denver, Shanahan said he's interested in coaching again but hadn't taken any phone calls about current openings.

Mike Martz, Billick, Mike Holmgren, Jim Fassel and Bill Parcells, names mentioned in various reports, aren't believed to be on the Jets' immediate radar.

Shanahan, 56, was fired by the Broncos after going 146-91 over 14 seasons, including the playoffs. Denver became the first team since divisional play started in 1967 to blow a three-game lead with three games left, getting routed 52-21 at San Diego on Sunday with the AFC West title on the line.

whole article
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11212378

I also found it intersting that the Jets are interviewing Callahan for two reasons. Callahan was a college head coach. Does that make him a college coach? And 2, people might say that Mangini wouldnt take a step back and to be a DC instead of a HC and Romeo wouldnt go from HC to d-line or LB coach. Callahan was a head coach of Oakland, who lost the SB and Nebraska. Now hes coaching the o-line. My point is, coaches always take a step back to stay in the game and add to their resumes.

I
1st String
1st String
I
if learner ranks Man-genius, ryan and Meyer over billick, and shanahan he needs to sell the team because we are never going to wint with this idiot running the team.

We have had 1 college coach (they fail a vast majority of the time) and 2 coordinators, when is he going to wake up and bring in a real head coach?

Ruining QB's since 1999.
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Billick? No thanks.

You know .... we should get an established head coach .....

That way we can make the playoffs .........

Like Baltimore did .....

And Pittsburgh .....

And Miami ......

Atlanta .....

Minnesota .....

Carolina .....

And Arizona ......

Oh wait .... all of these 2008 playoff teams hired ...... guys who had never been NFL Head Coaches before. For those playing along at home ... that's 70% of the playoff teams this year.

Baltimore, Miami, and Atlanta did not make the payoffs last year. They each hired a guy without head coaching experience. Finding a guy with the right qualities to make a Head Coach successful is more important than just finding a guy with "experience".

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
For Pitdawgs sake. How many of those teams have a college coach

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I don't like any of this right now. I don't want Pioli, Mangini, Ferentz, McDanials, Meyer, Shannahan...none of them.

If I'm Lerner, I am very worried right now. I say go back to square one and see if you can fine tune your thought process. Believe me, Cowher knows what he is doing...he just won't spell it out for you. He said he wouldn't COACH in 2009....He didn't say he didn't want to Build a franchise...What a perfect way for him to ease into it...Shottenheimer as coach Cowher as GM, build the team and the organization the way you want it, when Schottenheimer retires..Cowher could assume full control. I have yet to hear this scenario...I just heard him say he would not coach in 09...You think Ozzie gives a crap he is a hall of Famer for the Browns and followed them to Baltimore. Get over it Bill!

If not, Hire Scottenheimer and let him have full control as a stop gap, until better candidates for both positions become available. All these guys suck!

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, and we're 0-3 going that route.

How's that gonna sell in Cleveland?

It won't and I believe Lerner knows it.

BTW- How many experienced NFL HC's were on the market when these guys were inked?

Supply and demand.......

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Quote:

For Pitdawgs sake. How many of those teams have a college coach

Wasn't Harbaugh (Baltimore) a college coach?

Scratch that .. he was a special teams coordinator and position coach prior to becoming Baltimore's head coach.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Screw Billick. If he hires him, THEN he needs to sell the team.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
PitDAWG #338289 01/01/09 03:15 PM
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
If anyone is watching the Outback Bowl..the announcers were just pimpin Ferentz for an NFL HC position pretty hard.

They actually did a good job of selling him.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The interviews .......

Link Copied to Clipboard