Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Indians acquire INF Mark DeRosa

By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer
14 minutes ago

CLEVELAND (AP)—The Cleveland Indians acquired versatile infielder Mark DeRosa on Wednesday in a trade that sent three minor leaguers to the Chicago Cubs.

The Indians sent minor league pitchers Jeff Stevens, Chris Archer and John Caub to Chicago.

The 33-year-old DeRosa may slide into Cleveland’s opening at third base. He hit a career-high 21 homers and drove in 87 runs in 149 games last season while playing six different positions—95 appearances at second base, 22 at third— for the NL Central champions.

One of the Indians’ priorities during the offseason was a dependable, righty-hitting infielder. They have considered moving shortstop Jhonny Peralta to third and Asdrubal Cabrera from second to short, and DeRosa’s versatility gives them even more options.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

The Indians sent minor league pitchers Jeff Stevens, Chris Archer and John Caub to Chicago.

I could live with that.

This shows Shapiros trying to win this year. Along with the pickup of Woods. Not much out there right now at 3rd base.

Legend
Legend
I like Jhonny a lot, but he is so inconsistent at the plate. Maybe a move to three would be the thing. Put this guy DeRosa at two and get AC where he is natural. Hate to bust up AC and JP at 2 and short now, but this definitely gives the Tribe some options.

One more starting pitcher would be killer.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Any National League fans have a scouting report on DeRosa?
How's his speed, glove, etc? From the stats, it looks like he's got a little pop in his bat.

J
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J
He used to be a brave, but back then he was a backup. He was a great pinch hitter, has a good glove, and some pop. Average speed. Seemed to play hard, never really followed him once he left atl though.

J
Legend
Legend
J
He had a nice year last year, I think it's a good move.

S
Legend
Legend
S
pretty good player, can play infield/outfield, you can bat him in multiple spots...

not a great player, but a guy who could help you...

he actually had a home run that gave them the lead in game 1 last year... it's too bad they never led again after that.

i like the move, although i'd be lying if i told you i knew anything about these minor leaguers...

you can only build for so long before you have to start making actual moves to make your current team better.

i don't understand chicago's perspective on this, he was arguably their mvp for quite a while last year. not their best player, but probably the most important part of why they won that divsion.

i like the move. although it doesn't put us over the top or anything.

good clubhouse guy too.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The only minor leaguer I heard of is Stevens. He's a reliever and I think he pitched in the Olympics last year. I'll let someone else bring up how the Indians got him

Joe Thomas made Justin Timberlake change his name. He didn't want wusses to have the same initials...

Dawg Talker since 3/26/2005...
J
Legend
Legend
J
It pains me to do so, as you know, but I will anyway.

You got him in return for gold glover Brandon Phillips.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I like it if he works out solid. It's good to move Cabrera to SS and Peralta to 3B. More value out of their bats that way.

[Linked Image from i232.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
I know that was difficult for you to do.. I'm really proud of you.

yebat' Putin
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Don't get your hopes up.

If this guy were any good, the Yankees or Red Sox would have bought him already.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Good move. This allows DeRosa to keep things warm until Wes Hodges is ready....and DeRosa plays OF as well as some 2nd and 1st..I .think hes even played short .pretty versatile guy if someone gets hurt or simply needs some rest.

You can put him in there for a few games and he isn't going to kill you at bat or in the field.

A guy like that allows you to do a few other things you might not do otherwise.

Great move really.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Don't get your hopes up.

If this guy were any good, the Yankees or Red Sox would have bought him already.

Sarcasm?

you had a good run Hank.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Indians acquire Inf Mark DeRosa from Cubs

Link Copied to Clipboard