Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
T
Well, if we're going to continue this charade by the name of the BSC should they they be a "BCS Conference"

BCS for MWC?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 01/03/09 12:19 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't even know what you're talking about, but I don't think anybody should get an "automatic" bowl game, so I voted no.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
T
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
T
Well like in the Big 10 whoever wins their conference gets an automatic bowl bid to a bowl game.. Same for the Pac 10, SEC, ACC, Big East, and Big 12. The Mountain West made a case yesterday fairly convincingly that they can hang.

Legend
Legend
Whoever wins the Mountain West automatically goes to a BCS bowl game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Whoever wins the Mountain West automatically goes to a BCS bowl game.

You sure about that ?

They may have been going lately the last few years, but it's not because it's automatic.

Legend
Legend
I was explaining to Michelle what the collecter was talking about.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I was explaining to Michelle what the collecter was talking about.

You know what ?? I apologize, because I thought later that might be what you were getting at,...I am a dork. You meant they "should" get an automatic,...? That wasn't what you typed though,....

But they shouldn't. Their schedules are worse than the big conferences "out-of'-conference" games.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The system already includes provisions for them to come to the dance if their ranking dictates as such. As rahjoice said, their schedule does not predicate that they be given the BCS conference affiliation....

In 2002, Colorado St won the conference with a 10-4 record. Air Force was 8-5, and New Mexico was 7-7. The rest of the teams within the conference were below .500.

In 2003, Utah was 10-2 and New Mexico 8-5.

In 2004, Utah was 12-0. Yay for them. They pounded Pitt in the Fiesta Bowl 35-7. Should Utah have been there or should Pitt (Big East having just lost Miami and VaTech from the conference) not have been there?

In 2005 TCU was 11-1 and Utah was 7-5. No other team in the conference was above .500.

Not going to continue to belabor the point......weak schedules.

(now let the OSU/Big10 bashing commence)

Legend
Legend
No, and niether does the Big East.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
No conference deserves an automatic BCS bowl bid. It should all be based on the BCS rankings. Who gives a rat's butt if you won your conference? Put the best teams in the BCS bowls and that's that.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Agreed,...there will come a year when one of The Big Four will have a champion akin to the ones the ACC or Big East are always putting up--ranked 13 and 18, or whatever.

In the meantime, a Texas Tech gets shut out, as does a Boise State.

If Michigan is 7-4 and wins the conference, one could ask the same question, no ??

And this is basically why we don't have, and that it isn't even on the radar, a playoff.

If Utah is in a "major" conference, and goes undefetaed, they're in the title game. Their supposedly weak schedule really hurt them against Alabama.

Personally, I would extend the "Top Six" BCS rule to include that, if you are one of 2 remaining undefeateds (there were none this year), then you not only get a BCS game, but you get the Title Game.

J
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J
Well Tech and Boise didn't deserve to go, neither took care of business in their bowl games.

I think we ever have a playoff, you can't shut out the conference winner. But for the system now, I'd like the top 8 teams to go, that would give us a lot better matchups every game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If we ever see a playoff... Which I hope doesn't happen (I want the and one game)... But, if we ever do have a playoff, the format will be...

6 BCS conference winners + 2 at large teams.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well Tech and Boise didn't deserve to go, neither took care of business in their bowl games.

I think we ever have a playoff, you can't shut out the conference winner. But for the system now, I'd like the top 8 teams to go, that would give us a lot better matchups every game.

Duly noted,...but does that mean the loser of the Florida-Oklahoma game "didn't take care of business." I hope not.

I am not fond of the "deserve" word, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Afterthought example--Conference winners do get shut out of the 1-AA playoff ocassionally, even while the field is 16 large.

In your suggestion, top 8 might not include the six "big boy" conferences. And it could include 3 teams from the same conference,....I'm just saying that would be OK by me.

In any case, the rankings will still have to be determined by some "one" in a human poll or some "thing" in a computer.

N
Legend
Legend
N
you might be surprised, but I agree. I do not want an 8 team playoff. and if there is one, then it would be 6 BCS champs and 2 at-large teams.

That wouldn't even end the controversies and even split national championships in NCAA football.

Look at this year:

First, end the perception problem that seems to be that the top8 BCS schools would somehow get invited to an 8 team playoff. We all know from the complexity of the system that each BCS conference will demand guaranteed inclusion (regardless of fairness, it would happen). And, the mid-majors would have some sort of guarantee for high performance as well. Then, hopefully, the last participant would be the highest ranking team in the BCS (or highest 2 if none of the mid-majors met their requirements).

This year, the field would have included:
Florida, Oklahoma, USC, Penn State, #12 Cincinnati, #19 VaTech, Utah, and Texas.

I won't even get into how these teams might be seeded (for instance, would VaTech be afforded a #6 seed despite their ranking. If so, would Texas be the #8 seed and face Florida first because of their wild card status despite being the #3 overall BCS team?).

But, if Cincy or VaTech navigated the field to somehow win the playoff bracket, while at the same time Alabama and Texas Tech met in the Cotton Bowl, would anyone be so sure that the AP Poll wouldn't vote a blowout Cotton Bowl winner above a 2-or3 loss low ranking champion like Cincy or VaTech?

Unlikely that Cincy or VaTech would win, yes. But, it would happen one year just to screw with the system because that is how college football works.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Also, the MWC deserves an automatic bid (in place of the Big East) to the current status if it can convince Boise and Fresno to join and kick out Wyoming and New Mexico.

Funny thing is, they are in a 4-year evaluation period now to determine just that....and if the Big East continues to struggle, the very well could take their place.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If we ever see a playoff... Which I hope doesn't happen (I want the and one game)... But, if we ever do have a playoff, the format will be...

6 BCS conference winners + 2 at large teams.

And One would be OK too,....so who gets in "it" this year ? Obviously the Gator-Sooner winner and then,....Texas ? Utah ? USC ?

All of these answers/ideas create as many problems as they solve.

A four team playoff with an And One would be a really great start. Utah might have gotten overlooked, but you just can't complain about Florida-Texas and Oklahoma-USC, then the winners go at it.

See, the problem with a playoff is, one of the Big Boy conferences is going to get left out. And that just doesn't bother me.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I dont know how to vote, because i hate the whole process. Yes they deserve one, but a differant mid major would pop up every once in a while. How can you add one and not the other? Utah is better then any school in the Big East and ACC. I remember when schools wouldnt schedual MAC teams because they would be underestimated and pull off the upset. Besides Akron never beating Nebraska.

I remember when Ohio St. would get flack for schedualing Pitt in the mid 90's because they would always blow them away.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
The Big East has done pretty good after the defections until this year. In the past few years Rutgers, UCF, West Virginia, and I think someone else ranked #1 at some point. They beat up on each other when the conferance needed an undeafted school the most.

I dont think Notre Dame deseved one this year after getting beat by Syracuse.

What a basketball conferance though

J
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J
Quote:

Hailing the #1 ranked team!!! hail to pitt!

I saw some one say how they would be seeded in an 8 team playoff. I'd hope they'd go by bcs rankings so cincy and va tech would have had to face florida and oklahoma. That would be the fairest way, they should do that in the nfl, you win you division you're in, but that doesn't guarantee a home game.

S
Legend
Legend
S
i don't know if the mwc deserves one every year, but i think they need to do something about these surprise teams... maybe set aside a spot for the smaller conferences to get a automatic bid...

boise st, utah, utah a few years ago, etc...

and eventually in a year or two, another team will have a year where they should have gotten a better chance.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

This year, the field would have included:
Florida, Oklahoma, USC, Penn State, #12 Cincinnati, #19 VaTech, Utah, and Texas.

I won't even get into how these teams might be seeded (for instance, would VaTech be afforded a #6 seed despite their ranking. If so, would Texas be the #8 seed and face Florida first because of their wild card status despite being the #3 overall BCS team?).

I'm an ACC fan but I don't think those are the 8.. I think you drop Cincy and VaTech and you put in Alabama and Texas Tech.. I do not think every conference should get an automatic spot...

As for how they are seeded.. I'm less concerned about that. Once you are in the playoff, you have a chance and that's all most of these teams want is a chance... any way you look at it, you have to beat 3 pretty good teams in a row.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Hailing the #1 ranked team!!! hail to pitt!

I saw some one say how they would be seeded in an 8 team playoff. I'd hope they'd go by bcs rankings so cincy and va tech would have had to face florida and oklahoma. That would be the fairest way, they should do that in the nfl, you win you division you're in, but that doesn't guarantee a home game.

I'm all over that one,...! I think being allowed to play AT ALL is "reward" enough. Some years you just end up in a Division at 12-4 (Indy) when the champion goes 14-2,...on the other hand, then, maybe you'll fight a little harder for that Division Crown next time,...?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Yes, but the only way a playoff happens is getting the conference commishioners to agree on the format. That does not happen unless every BCS conference is guaranteed a spot. That was my point.

And, then you would have another issue if you include Texas Tech. Does any one conference deserve 3 spots? That is nearly half the 8-team playoff entrants. Who is to say that the conference just didn't have 3 or 4 dominant teams in conference play that allowed them to build up their resume?

We haven't even gotten into where you play these games (which is why seeding does matter if you play at least the first round at the field of the home team) or how you split the revenue from those games.

There are a million other issues to, which is why a full blown playoff is unlikely at best.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
No to mention you'd have to have a Notre Dame clause.

J
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J
Quote:

No to mention you'd have to have a Notre Dame clause.

Force them into the Big East of Big Ten, or they get left out.

Legend
Legend
Correct,...maybe that's the right thing to do, but money talks. As of late nothing to really worry about though, even while they finally did win a bowl game.

I am not an "Irish fan," but it is not good for college football for them not to be good, historically speaking.

My point is, they will get a clause.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Good point, I forgot about that. I don't like it either, but you are absolutely correct that it would happen.

So, with the recent ascension of mid-major teams...if ND fields a good team again, then you would be left with:

6 BCS conference champs + mid-major + ND

That means if an 8-4 Missouri team shocks an 11-1 Oklahoma team (or something similar in the SEC or ACC), then you can have more low ranked teams in the playoffs while higher ranked teams watch at home.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Good point, I forgot about that. I don't like it either, but you are absolutely correct that it would happen.

So, with the recent ascension of mid-major teams...if ND fields a good team again, then you would be left with:

6 BCS conference champs + mid-major + ND

That means if an 8-4 Missouri team shocks an 11-1 Oklahoma team (or something similar in the SEC or ACC), then you can have more low ranked teams in the playoffs while higher ranked teams watch at home.

That's exactly what happens in 1-AA EVERY year, and they take 16 !!

I still say that the current combination of computers and pollsters, including the AP, do a pretty dang good job of telling/suggesting who the Top Four are,...and that a playoff need not go any deeper than that. Now, that said, yes, at least 2 "Major" conferences would get left out, maybe even more if a Notre Dame went undefeated.

I compromised earlier with DC in this thread, 6 with 2 first round byes, would be awesome, just totally awesome.

This year, Fla, Okie, USC, Texas, Utah and Alabama. WOW !!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I compromised earlier with DC in this thread, 6 with 2 first round byes, would be awesome, just totally awesome.

This year, Fla, Okie, USC, Texas, Utah and Alabama. WOW !!

That sounds good to me.. Florida and Oklahoma get the byes because of their ranking, and according to the BCS, Texas plays Utah (at Texas), the winner plays Florida (at Florida), Alabama plays USC (at Alabama), the winner plays Oklahoma (at Oklahoma).... then the winners meet on a predetermined neutral field... LOVE IT!!!

And if you want to talk about who can complain about this.. Boise State can complain (nobody will listen, but they can complain.. ), Penn State could complain because, keep in mind, all of this happens BEFORE they get blown out by USC so that would not have been known and Texas Tech could complain for the same reason, all of this happens BEFORE they get blown out Ole Miss...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Yeah on Penn State and Texas Tech, but where were they ranked before the Bowl Season started--BCS-wise mind you. I think they were 7&8.

So, IF you had a 6 team, 2 bye system, before the season started, and all willing parties agree thereto, there wouldn't be a beef,...

It's a true mess,....if #12 Cincy and #19 VaTech get BCS games, then Utah ought to be in The Show.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

So, IF you had a 6 team, 2 bye system, before the season started, and all willing parties agree thereto, there wouldn't be a beef,...

There would be less of a beef.. but didn't they all agree on the BCS? That doesn't stop them from complaining and lobbying for their teams.. Yes, it's harder to say, "Hey, we're the #8 team in the country, we deserve to play for the national championship." than it is to say, "Hey, we're the #3 team in the country, we deserve to play for the national championship."

Heck, basketball invites 65 teams and some still complain if they get excluded...

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
but the point is that they won't all agree on a BCS that excludes some conference champions from making any sort of playoff.

especially if it means including 2 or possibly 3 teams from one conference (which Tech was just 1 spot away from making happen in your situation)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Duly noted, but -- apologize for the repetition -- happens in 1-AA all the time.

That's why "they" have their heads stuck in the proverbial Bowl Sand.

And the way it is now, only two major conferences get to "play for the title" anyway. A chance at being one of the 4 is better, to me, than none. All of the "majors" do not have to be included when very cyclically they all go through "down" periods.

So spread the field wide open. Would anyone have beaten Florida last night anyway ?? Maybe.

I still take today's system over the Old Way. And I am old too,...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

but the point is that they won't all agree on a BCS that excludes some conference champions from making any sort of playoff.

What they will agree on... and what makes the most sense to better define who the national champion is.. are quite likely 2 different things. My posts are not geared toward brokering a deal between conferences that they will agree on, my posts are geared toward what I think makes sense in deciding a champion... see?

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
I understand and respect that. I'm the wet blanket on this thread, but I'm okay with it.

#gmstrong
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
BCS Conference? Maybe if they have a team that deserves it, like say this year or any other year they have a 14 - 0 team.

Same argument for Boise State, Hawaii or any other conference champion that runs the table. If they aren't that good they'll get exposed.

S
Rookie
Rookie
S
The same can be said for any team in any conference...

Look @TCU... They are a great literal example to answer this question/poll...

They lost to Oaklahoma and Utah... Legitament top 5-10 teams. They barely got past Boise State a legitiment top 20 team...

The top 3 Mountian West teams were ranked around top 15 all year...

Look at the MWC over the past decade. They are a viable quality conference.

"A mans character is his fate..." Heraclitus
Legend
Legend
I think a better question is, why does any conference deserve any automatic bid,..and if you look at what the "real" reason is, you will find that it's money, not reality.

If an MWC team was THAT good that it ran the table and beat USC, Ohio State and Notre Dame on it's way, it would probably be ranked in the Top Six and get the "automatic" berth reserved for that very purpose/scenario.

Just sayin'.....if one conscientiously looks at why the Big Ten still gets an "auto" now,...would that be based on actually playing competitive football--as compared to the rest of the country ?? Or is it based on money,....??

N
Legend
Legend
N
just to rehash my earlier arguments against the playoffs....stewart mandel does a nice analogy with the Az Cardinals to it....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/01/22/cardinals-bcs/index.html

Quote:

Each year, when fans, broadcasters and columnists engage in their annual hand-wringing over the lack of a college football playoff, the lords of the BCS defend their divisive system by noting a playoff would deflate the sport's uniquely gripping regular season. Playoff proponents never want to hear it.

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present the living embodiment of a devalued regular season: The Arizona Cardinals.

In a little over a week, the Cardinals, who finished the NFL regular season with a 9-7 record, will face the 12-4 Pittsburgh Steelers for the right to be crowned 2008 NFL champions. That seems like a misnomer, though, as Arizona will have earned its championship primarily in 2009.

Never mind that the Cardinals scored one more point (427) than their opponents (426) over the course of a 16-game season. Never mind that they lost four of their last six games, including three by at least 21 points. Never mind that 15 other teams -- nearly half the league -- finished with the same or a better record than Arizona.

Because the sport employs a traditional playoff rather than polls and computers, a Cardinals championship will be deemed far more legitimate than Florida's BCS title this past college season. Four great playoff games will override four months of mediocrity.

Much the same thing occurred last year when the New England Patriots beat the New York Giants in the regular-season finale to become the first team in history to finish 16-0. In the end, though, all that mattered was the Giants -- a 10-6 wild-card team -- beating the Patriots in a February rematch.

Peter King addressed this subject in his most recent Monday Morning Quarterback, asking "What exactly does the [NFL] regular season mean anymore?"

"If the NFL has now arrived at a strange point where regular-season performance does nothing to predict playoff performance, and every team has an equal chance to win if they make the tournament, is that bad for the league?'' Football Outsiders president Aaron Schatz wrote King in an e-mail.

It's certainly bad for the Tennessee Titans, whose league-best 13-3 record this season earned them ... bupkis.

On Tuesday, a reader asked King whether the two best teams were playing in the Super Bowl, to which King replied: "The two hottest teams at the end of the year are in the [Super Bowl], which is all that counts."

If that's true, why does the NFL even bother to hold a regular season? (Wait, I know -- for fantasy football and gamblers.) Why not stage one big, 32-team playoff? Heck, the league could hold three of those in the same amount of time it takes to bother with a regular season.

Three Super Bowls a year. Imagine the ad revenue!

In a story from last week's Sports Illustrated leading up to the NFC title game, Cardinals defensive end Bertrand Berry explained his team's late-season slump thusly: "Mentally we eased up a little bit because we had clinched [the NFC West division] so early."

That, my friends, is exactly what college football's powers-that-be fear most. Theirs is the only sport where every single game truly matters, where you can't afford to take your foot off the peddle for even one week. (Just ask USC.) Were there a playoff, the Gators -- which, like the Cardinals, clinched their division early (Nov. 8) -- could have tanked their last three regular-season games without jeopardizing their title hopes in the slightest.

The Virginia Tech Hokies are a more appropriate college parallel to the Cardinals. The Hokies won the ACC last season with a 9-4 record. They were ranked 19th in the final BCS standings and hadn't entered the national-title discussion since the preseason.

However, in a playoff, Virginia Tech would have been guaranteed a berth. (Every other major sport, college and professional, gives first dibs to conference/division champions. College football wouldn't be any different.) Who's to say the Hokies couldn't have gotten hot, pulled off a couple of upsets and won the whole thing?

A national champion with four losses. There goes your "meaningful" regular season.

Don't get me wrong, the BCS is far from ideal. Now more than ever, it's an inherently ludicrous task to identify just two teams worthy of a shot at the national championship.

Much of the angst directed toward the BCS is not about the format as much as the selection process, which puts teams' fates in the hands of sportswriters, coaches and computers. While no postseason format will ever be controversy-free, the proposed "plus-one" -- a four-team playoff using the bowls as semifinals -- would widen the pool of contenders without devaluing the regular season.

However, at the BCS meetings in Hollywood, Fla., last spring, several conference commissioners expressed their reservation that a plus-one would be the first step down an inevitable path toward an eight- or, eventually, 16-team playoff. And that's when the college regular season as we know it goes kaput.

Most playoff proponents refuse to believe that. Of course the regular season would still matter, they say. Alabama fans will always care about the Auburn game, Florida State fans the Florida game, regardless of record.

That may be true at first. But as with every other single-elimination sport, sooner or later, the playoffs would become the only thing that matters. As it is today, fans of all but the most woeful teams retain a vested interest until the very end due to the prospect of a bowl berth. With a playoff in place, fans would inevitably lose interest once their teams were eliminated from contention. Even if the bowls stayed in business, they'd become to football what the NIT is to basketball.

Meanwhile, the regular season would become just like the NFL's and college basketball's. Instead of revolving around the national-title race, the biggest games at the end of the season would be those involving potential wild-card or at-large teams. In college football, there's always at least one, if not several, big "national" games each week (like the ones GameDay features). With a playoff, it would be more like basketball, where there are only two truly "big" games unaffiliated fans watch in droves: The two Duke-North Carolina games. Just substitute Ohio State-Michigan and Oklahoma-Texas.

Obviously, the NFL doesn't exactly suffer because of its playoff format. Fans will not be any less interested in next September's games due to the Cardinals' presence in this year's Super Bowl. But the ebb and flow of professional football's season has been entrenched for 40-plus years. It's engrained in us that the regular season is merely a build-up to the playoffs.

For 100-plus years, it's been engrained in college football fans that every week matters, and that teams are judged on their season-long performance. The prospect of a 9-7 team (or 9-4 team, as the case may be) playing for the national championship flies in the face of the sport's entire tradition.

The single most common argument college playoff advocates make is that: "Every other sport does it." What they never bother to consider is that perhaps there's a reason college football is different than those other sports.

If the Cardinals played in college, they might have finished their season in the hometown Insight Bowl. Last month, two 7-5 teams -- Minnesota and Kansas -- played in that relatively low-profile game.

It's funny. In college, we complain when mediocre teams like the Gophers and Jayhawks are rewarded with bowl berths. In the pros, the system rewards comparable teams with a shot at the championship. [\quote]

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus Does the Mountain West Conference deserve an Automatic Bowl Bid?

Link Copied to Clipboard