Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Mangini will hire Jets quarterbacks coach Brian Daboll, whose contract is expiring, as his offensive coordinator, league sources told Smith.

For the position of defensive coordinator, sources told Smith that Mangini will bring aboard Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, whose contract with Oakland also is up. Also that Mangini and former Browns coach Romeo Crennel, fired after the team went 4-12 this season, discussed the possibility of Crennel returning to work with Mangini but decided it best to both go in a different direction.

Link

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Thank God it's not Romeo.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Rob Ryan will bring to this defense what it has sorely lacked for as long as I can remember...an attitude. I LOVE the move.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well Rob Ryan as DC is the first good news to come out of this.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Interesting selection on picking Rob Ryan.

I was thinking that Romeo might not be the best pick for our D-Coordinator. I don't know much about Rob Ryan except that occassionally Oakland had a decent defense and he's brothers with Rex Ryan.

The problem with having Romeo is the questions of how the players will react to their head coach of 3 years suddenly being their d-coordinator and the power issues that could come with that. Teams just rarely hire the head coach as d-coordinator. It just doesn't seem smart. Especially with a 37 year old head coach. It's better to start fresh, bring in a new guy who obviously works for mangini and get going. I wonder if we'll continue to run 3-4. Does Rob Ryan run that?

We need some info............

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Rob Ryan runs an attacking style 4-3 defense...so I'm interested to see how this works out.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He will run a 4-3 or 3-4 depending on personnel but one thing is certain, the guy loves press coverage so whoever we have at corner better be ready to get physical at the line of scrimmage.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Well Rob Ryan as DC is the first good news to come out of this.

I take it you are not happy with the Mangini hiring?

Can I ask why?

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
U
All Pro
All Pro
U
Quote:

Rob Ryan runs an attacking style 4-3 defense...so I'm interested to see how this works out.

But Ryan he was LBs coach under Belichick at NE from 2000-2003 so he knows the 3-4. Hopefully the Browns D will look like the Ravens', a mix of fronts.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I still think it would be a good idea to bring Romeo in to coach the LBs or d-line.

How could hiring Romeo divide the locker room? Everyone knows that Lerner would never re-hire Romeo to coach anyways. If anything, if a player was demoted, all the would have to do is look at Romeo as an example and keep quite.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
All I know about Rob Ryan is that the dude looks insane and plays a fast, physical defense.

Don't look at the past few years. No one can succeed in that mess from Oakland. Even with that, he created a monster Pro Bowl CB *I'm not going to even try and spell his name, Asumonga or something.*

Personally, this is an absolutely fantastic move. This guy knows how to get pressure on the QB.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think he tried to be to much like Bellichek with his personality. I also believe that he was afraid to be his own man in New York. He also made many of the same mistakes I have ripped Romeo for. Poor personnel decisions, horrible clock management, and looking clueless at times.

Now the hiring of Ryan shows me already that he is learning from past mistakes. I like that. He has an experienced DC in place and someone that is going to get this guys fired up.

I hope he goes with an experienced OC as well.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

He will run a 4-3 or 3-4 depending on personnel but one thing is certain, the guy loves press coverage so whoever we have at corner better be ready to get physical at the line of scrimmage.

And that might signal a selection of Malcomb Jenkins...which would be a solid pick.

He can't run his D without at least 1 stud corner.

Yep....Jenkins just became the odds on favorite with out first pick.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Yeah, but we still need LBs, like 4 of them. Love the pick of Rob Ryan though.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well it looks like he is going with Daboll, so there goes the experience factor.

While I agree with you, I am hinging my feelings on something else you mentioned, he may already be learning from his mistakes. I also like the fact that he is noted for bringing discipline and toughness to his practices and TC's. We sorely need someone to hold these players accountable and bring some discipline.

Also, he hopefully acts like BB, because he is the next BB.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No way do you pick a guy based on a coorinator. Thats just stupid.

And Ryan has run both a 4-3 and 3-4 in Oakland. I LOVE the idea of having Ryan as DC. I hope that Mangini/Ryan are able to convince Tucker to stay on as DB coach.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

And that might signal a selection of Malcomb Jenkins...which would be a solid pick.

And thats from a Gator fan.

J
Rookie
Rookie
J
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe.. Ryan does like to play alot of press coverage. So good corners would be vital.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

pretty much the first thing I thought too... I have to admit Im more excited by Ryan then any of the other developments today... an expierienced DC with a pedigree.... captain likey

[Linked Image]

When it gets cold and snows and the wind blows, you gotta be able to run the ball. - TR
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

No way do you pick a guy based on a coorinator. Thats just stupid.

And Ryan has run both a 4-3 and 3-4 in Oakland. I LOVE the idea of having Ryan as DC. I hope that Mangini/Ryan are able to convince Tucker to stay on as DB coach.

I agree.

Jenkins is valued in the rage we pick....so it isn't stupid at all....it adds up son.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
All Pro
All Pro
maybe we can get asomugha too.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

Yeah, but we still need LBs, like 4 of them. Love the pick of Rob Ryan though.

Kardiac, you really can not say we need four LB's. Why because for the last four years we have had a read and react "D". Now with that being said, we do need at least two.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

I believe he was recently given a contract extension.

you had a good run Hank.
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

can get asomugha too.

I definetly just reassesed my off season wish list

[Linked Image]

When it gets cold and snows and the wind blows, you gotta be able to run the ball. - TR
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I really love that we are going for an idenity on defense.

Rob Ryan dials up a blitz in his sleep. Also, I believe Rob could actually make Wimbley into a good player.

you had a good run Hank.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
EDIT: I need to do more research on my opinions of him. I didn't like how he came off in his interview with the media earlier this year though.

For now, here's his bio.

http://www.raiders.com/Team/CoachBio.aspx?id=548Rob Ryan
Defensive Coordinator

Rob Ryan is in his fifth year as Raiders defensive coordinator. In 2007, Ryan coordinated a Raiders defense that produced two players who ranked in the top-10 in the AFC in sacks, ranked third in the NFL in percentage of passes intercepted, eighth in the NFL in pass defense, fifth in the AFC in opponent’s third down efficiency (39 percent) and sixth in the AFC in opponent’s Inside the 20 touchdown percentage.
In 2006, Ryan oversaw a defense that led the NFL in pass defense and ranked third in total defense. The Raiders defense under Ryan also ranked fourth in the NFL in fewest yards allowed per play, fifth in defense inside the 20, fifth (tie) in defensive touchdowns and fifth in net passing yards per play.
Ryan’s defensive schemes in 2006 also helped Derrick Burgess record 12 sacks and play in his second straight Pro Bowl and Warren Sapp record 10 sacks, an NFL high for defensive tackles. In addition, the defensive schemes helped Nnamdi Asomugha post a career high eight interceptions. He was named USA Today’s “All-Joe” and Bill Arnsbarger’s “Football Insiders” Defensive Coordinator of the Year.
The 2005 Raiders defense featured the NFL's leading sack artist, Burgess, who had 16 sacks and a Pro Bowl invitation. Before joining the Raiders, the 21-year coaching veteran spent four seasons as linebackers coach on Bill Belichick's New England coaching staff. Ryan's unit contributed to the Patriots wins in Super Bowls XXXVI and XXXVIII.
In 2003, Ryan's squad helped the Patriots defense rank first in the NFL in fewest points allowed (238) while ranking seventh overall in the NFL in total defense. Ryan's unit also contributed to one of the best scoring defenses in franchise history in 2001, as the Patriots allowed just 17 points per game and produced Pro Bowlers Willie McGinest and Tedy Bruschi.
Ryan originally entered the NFL coaching ranks in 1994 as defensive backs coach on his father's staff at Arizona. He also coached Cardinals cornerbacks and safeties in 1995. With Ryan as his position coach, cornerback Aeneas Williams earned two trips to the Pro Bowl in 1994 and 1995. In 1995, the Cardinals led the NFL with 32 interceptions and 42 total takeaways. The 1994 Cardinals ranked second in the NFL total defense, second in run defense and third in pass defense. From 1997-99, Ryan was Oklahoma State's defensive coordinator, where the Cowboys defense continually ranked among the best in the nation. He was named Coordinator of the Year by The Sporting News in 1997.
In 1999, they were ranked 10th in the nation in total defense. In 1998, they were second in the nation with 41 sacks. In his first season at Oklahoma State, the Cowboys defense finished among the nation's top-20 in turnover margin, rushing defense, scoring defense and total defense, allowing just 302.7 yards per game. It was an over 100-yard improvement per game from the year before and helped the Cowboys produce an 8-4 mark and an Alamo Bowl berth.
Ryan was a graduate assistant at Western Kentucky in 1987 and at Ohio State in 1988. Ryan then spent five seasons at Tennessee State, where he coached running backs (1989-91), linebackers (1992) and the defensive line (1993). He served as defensive coordinator at Hutchinson Community College in 1996, where they led the nation in total defense (228 yards per game) and in sacks (56). His defense also set a national record by forcing 49 turnovers. Ryan played
three seasons as an outside linebacker at Southwestern Oklahoma State.
The 44-year-old Ryan is the son of NFL defensive coaching legend Buddy Ryan. His twin brother, Rex, is defensive coordinator for Baltimore. The Ryan family includes wife Kristin and three children: sons Joseph and Matthew and daughter Dimitra.

Last edited by Ammo; 01/07/09 09:26 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I believe you are mistaken. But I do agree with your later post. Hopefully Ryan can turn our defense into the aggressive one a 3-4 is supposed to have.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not just saying this because I'm an OSU homer (although we both know I am..lol), but I think Jenkins and possibly Beannie became possibilities with this hire. Mangini wants a run heavy O, and honestly JL doesn't fit the bill. He also loves the big physical CBs, and Jenkins is definitely his type. I would also think that the big OT from Alabama is in the mix, because of his run blocking ability, and Shaffer's lack thereof. It should be interesting, but much to most on here's chagrin, we will not draft a LB at # 4 (it wasn't going to happen that high anyway because of better value).

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I believe you are mistaken. But I do agree with your later post. Hopefully Ryan can turn our defense into the aggressive one a 3-4 is supposed to have.

You're right.

He was franchised in 2008. He would be the perfect get. Big strong CB that would look really nice back there.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I still think we go with Curry @ MLB....

But anyway...

I hope our defense comes together. New blood in Cleveland is nice. Refreshing.

And best thing about it... We have our QB!!! Thats one position we will NOT be drafting anytime soon.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Kardiac, you really can not say we need four LB's. Why because for the last four years we have had a read and react "D". Now with that being said, we do need at least two.

Well, I was mildly exaggerating. Yes, two at least. So it'll come down to which position is more plentiful in the draft and where we are picking... LB or CB? Probably could use another OLB/DE or two.

O
1st String
1st String
O
Quote:

We have our QB!!! Thats one position we will NOT be drafting anytime soon.

Doubt that.

[Linked Image from i161.photobucket.com]Thanks NaTaS
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope."
Legend
Legend
Asomugha is a great DB, but if we were to get Jenkins, I doubt we could really afford to have both of those guys since Asomugha will be demanding (and deserving) big money.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
2nd String
2nd String
As an Oakland fan, I figured I would give my input on this topic.

Personally, I don't mind Rob Ryan too much. He is a good guy, but I am also sort of glad to see him go. At times, he seemed to be taking the defense in the right direction. At other times, he was moving in the opposite direction. I'm having trouble figuring out if Al Davis is the problem or if he was. I guess I will soon find out. Something tells me it was Al, though.

Either way, you guys will get a great guy who is passionate for the game and his players. He may just do very well with a defense where he gets to call all the shots.

Here are some more Raider fans perspectives:

Sorry, but we don't allow links to other message boards.

Last edited by Referee6; 01/07/09 10:22 PM.

Win, lose, or tie, Raiders 'til I die.
D
2nd String
2nd String
D
As long as Rob Ryan is the same guy kicking *(expletive) every week I will be happy.

O
1st String
1st String
O
yuck, I am not liking what I am reading on that raiders board...

[Linked Image from i161.photobucket.com]Thanks NaTaS
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope."
J
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J
Quote:

Quote:

We have our QB!!! Thats one position we will NOT be drafting anytime soon.

Doubt that.

no way on this earth do we draft a qb.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
THANK GOD!!!!!!!!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Hmmm...they seem pretty happy to see him leave.

Although look how happy we were to see Bruce Arians leave and look how Pitt's doing.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Who cares what the Raiders fans think?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Our Defensive Coordinator... It's not Romeo...

Link Copied to Clipboard