Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Post deleted by Referee6

2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

maybe we can get asomugha too.

I really really hope not. Al better lock him up. If he spent all that money on crap last off-season, I hope he is smart enough to actually pay for something worth having.

Win, lose, or tie, Raiders 'til I die.
J
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J
I think we'll see a lot of changes around here on defense.

Last edited by Referee6; 01/07/09 10:24 PM.
Legend
Legend

When's the last time you saw a coach leaving a team and people being really happy for him?

Last edited by Referee6; 01/07/09 10:25 PM.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I didnt say anything about if they were happy or not, I was referring to what they had to say about his prevent style defense.

Me personally, I take the wait and see aproach.

I know Bears fans werent happy to see Riveria go. Same with Shottenheimer getting canned. It happens. i remember alot of fans were upset Crennel couldnt keep the specail teams coach when he got here. Thats just from the top of my head. Also Steeler fans werent happy about losing Wisenhunt and Lebeau.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Considering who those coaches work for they probably intentionally screwed the pooch to get the heck out of dodge!!!

So we're all happy and a few Raider fans are gonna spoil that? Helllllooooo....they're Raider fans!

2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

Who cares what the Raiders fans think?

Considering he has coached for Oakland for a few seasons, I figured it might be interesting to a few of you. It is always good to have an open mind.

But thanks for the insult! I appreciate it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

We call that the eternal optimism of hiring a guy to our team. Until he screws up with us, he can do no wrong. He's a good football mind, but the Raiders run defense was as porous as ours... hopefully if he runs the 3-4 he'll have more success. I have confidence in this though... I wanted an experienced, aggressive defensive coordinator and I don't think that gets much better than Rob Ryan. I think he's more aggressive than Oakland has experienced.

Last edited by Referee6; 01/07/09 10:27 PM.

We're... we're good?
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Post deleted by Referee6

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I still think it would be a good idea to bring Romeo in to coach the LBs or d-line.

Say whaaaat?

I know you are entitled to your own opinion but I just don't understand why people want Romeo on board.

Despite his fabled defensive prowess our defense never really improved under his reign.

We arguably had the worst LB's in the league...they couldn't tackle, they didn't hit anybody with authority, they couldn't blitz, etc,. Considering Romeo was supposed to instill an attitude on this defense and fix this long standing problem, and still, after four years the D was soft, poress, and uninspiring, how would keeping him on board improve them now?

I think Mangini made the right call ... RAC should go in another direction.

Legend
Legend
I didn't mean it as an insult. I just meant that it doesn't really matter to me one bit what Raiders fans think of a guy we're going to bring on as a coach, just like I don't expect my opinion to matter one bit with fans of other teams. Heck, I don't really expect it to matter with Browns fans.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
D
2nd String
2nd String
D
This is a reminder of what Mangini wanted to do last year...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3177174

Report: Ryan to be fired by Oakland, take job with Jets
Comment Email Print
ESPN.com news services

Sources indicate that Oakland Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan has been told he will be fired this week, following the unit's disappointing performance in 2007, the Oakland Tribune reported.

Ryan, however, appears ready to land on his feet. According to New York-area reports, New York Jets defensive coordinator Bob Sutton is expected to lose his job. And the Tribune reported that according to sources, Ryan will succeed Sutton in New York.

Ryan and Jets coach Eric Mangini were defensive assistants together for four seasons in New England under Bill Belichick.

Sources indicated Ryan was told before the Raiders' final game, against San Diego on Sunday, that he would not be returning in 2008, according to the Tribune. That could clear the way for coach Lane Kiffin to hire his father, Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, as the elder Kiffin's contract with the Bucs expires at the end of their season.

The Raiders' defense was the lone bright spot in the team's dismal two-win 2006 season, and returned 11 starters for 2007. But the unit did not play up to expectations in 2007. A season after finishing third in total defense with 284.8 yards per game, the 2007 Raiders finished 22nd, giving up 341.6 yards per game, and allowed 398 points -- 66 more than in 2006.

Lane Kiffin indicated that personnel changes are pending.

"We've got to look at everything," Kiffin said, according to the Tribune. "And it really was disappointing, because I really felt that the defense was gonna be our strength. I never told the offense that, but what I felt was we were going to play great defense. There had been a lot of improvement from two years ago to last year on defense, so I thought we'd continue to build that with returning 11 guys. Unfortunately, that's not the way it worked."

After winning four games in his first season as the Raiders' coach, Kiffin is still looking to restore the luster to a franchise that has won a total of 10 games in the last three seasons and last went to the playoffs in 2002.

"We're not worried about people's feelings," Kiffin said in his postseason news conference Monday. "We're worried about winning. And, we need to start winning. ... This season was not a success. We're 4-12. We've got to get that fixed."

The Jets, meanwhile, ranked 18th in the NFL in total defense, giving up 331.9 yards per game, and allowed 355 points.

Both teams' defenses struggled against the run in 2007. The Raiders finished 31st out of 32 teams, allowing 145.9 yards per game on the ground. The Jets weren't much better, finishing 29th against the run with 134.8 yards per game allowed.

2nd String
2nd String

Quote:

I didn't mean it as an insult. I just meant that it doesn't really matter to me one bit what Raiders fans think of a guy we're going to bring on as a coach, just like I don't expect my opinion to matter one bit with fans of other teams. Heck, I don't really expect it to matter with Browns fans.

Haha that is fine. I wasn't really angry.

Last edited by Referee6; 01/07/09 10:30 PM.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I just think that Romeo could do a great job with less on his plate. Hes no HC and he will probabley never try to be one again. He shown alot of fire as as assistant.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I just think that Romeo could do a great job with less on his plate. Hes no HC and he will probabley never try to be one again. He shown alot of fire as as assistant.

That was never going to happen my man.

No new coach is going to keep the old one on his staff unless it was his dad.

That was a bunch of Sesame Street talk....feel good stuff.

In the real world, that doesn't happen.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I´m already really "meh" on the Mangini and DC Ryan hirings ....but the Jets QB coach as OC? WTF did he do to get a promotion? The Jets did not get good QB play....like forever? Favre led the league in INTs?

I´m really NOT excited by these moves....seems like we got 2 losers as Coords, who should have no problem being overruled on gameday and an average at best HC who likes to be the alpha guy on gameday....Lerner seems to love Mangini and he is now allowed to run the show and he brings along his friends....it´s like RACs 1st year all over again...just that the HC this time is a boot camp guy and not a buddy HC.....I would have liked something in between and not the opposite extreme, since I think it will be as ineffective....in the long run...I expect 1 or 2 years of overachieving...just like with RAC...but I don´t think this trifecta with a losing background in their jobs will lead us to the promised land....sorry
and from me

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Aren't you a Raiders fan?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just a general reply. Lane Kiffin wanted to run the tampa 2 and run Rob Ryan out of town. He was wanting to hire Monte Kiffin, which now he is able to do in Tenn.

The Raiders began their shift from Ryan's 3-4 to Kiffins 4-3 and this just wasn't the right fit for Rob. He simply isnt the Tampa 2 guy that Kiffin wanted.

Now I do wonder about the first time OC that looks like is coming. Defensive assistant to WR coach for a few years then QB coach. Not exactly what this team is needing imho.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

He will run a 4-3 or 3-4 depending on personnel but one thing is certain, the guy loves press coverage so whoever we have at corner better be ready to get physical at the line of scrimmage.

And that might signal a selection of Malcomb Jenkins...which would be a solid pick.

He can't run his D without at least 1 stud corner.

Yep....Jenkins just became the odds on favorite with out first pick.

I would agree with this ONLY if we cannot get an Asomugha in FA... whom I would now say is our #1 target along with Terrell Suggs.
You can't have a physical man-coverage scheme with the midgets we have at corner. I'd guess that we gring in Aso... Wright is the #2 CB with McD in the slot and Cousins at Burger King. Holly will be questionable depth heading into camp.

My bet is that that a big, fast, rangy thumper of an ILB is still our #1 draft pick.... Mulaaguagua from USC or the kid from Wake Forest.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Jenkins just became the odds on favorite with out first pick.

Just remembering back to Belichick's first draft here in 91. He wanted a game-changing DB ... a safety ... Eric Turner. Keep your eye on Taylor Mays, if he decides to come out. Here's a blurb from Wikipedia:

Before the 2008 season, ESPN The Magazine named Mays one of college football's top two "workout warriors" for running an electronically timed 40 this spring in 4.32 seconds, doing 26 reps with 225 pounds, having a vertical jumping 41 inches, and doing a standing broad jump of 11-4 with a 6-3, 226 pound frame with 6 percent body fat.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Jenkins just became the odds on favorite with out first pick.

Just remembering back to Belichick's first draft here in 91. He wanted a game-changing DB ... a safety ... Eric Turner. Keep your eye on Taylor Mays, if he decides to come out. Here's a blurb from Wikipedia:

Before the 2008 season, ESPN The Magazine named Mays one of college football's top two "workout warriors" for running an electronically timed 40 this spring in 4.32 seconds, doing 26 reps with 225 pounds, having a vertical jumping 41 inches, and doing a standing broad jump of 11-4 with a 6-3, 226 pound frame with 6 percent body fat.

I only care about those measurables if his instincts and football IQ are just as good.

If so, I'm on board with it. Safeties are involved in both run support AND pass coverage. He could make an impact on both spots quickly.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I only care about those measurables if his instincts and football IQ are just as good.

I get what you mean, and agree - but I think Mays' bonafides as a football player are pretty well established. Here's a statement by his coach, Pete Carroll (also from Wiki):

Mays' reputation as an elite player in college football was further emphasized by Pete Carroll's mighty praise, stating: "Taylor is doing the best job of anybody that's ever played for us in the years I've been here. He's all over the field, he's making impact plays, he's doing what a true free safety does. He kind of covers for everybody, and if somebody makes a mistake or somebody gives up a yard on the coverage, he's there to help you out and all that. He's just done a great job, and he's doing it with statement plays, as well."

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Hey how about playing your identical brother twice a year every year? (Ravens Rex)

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

He will run a 4-3 or 3-4 depending on personnel but one thing is certain, the guy loves press coverage so whoever we have at corner better be ready to get physical at the line of scrimmage.

Malcolm Jenkins?

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Who cares what the Raiders fans think?

I care. He knows more about the guy from watching him than we do.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
If Rex Ryan doesn't get the St.Louis HC job then we'll see the the Ravens/Browns games featuring the Ryan twins as opposing defensive coordinators. That's pretty cool, adds to the rivalry somewhat.

[Linked Image from i232.photobucket.com]
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Quote:

Quote:

And that might signal a selection of Malcomb Jenkins...which would be a solid pick.

He can't run his D without at least 1 stud corner.

Yep....Jenkins just became the odds on favorite with out first pick.

I wouldn't say that just yet. Jenkins is better suited for a zone heavy defense, like a cover 2. I know Eric Wright, while he's not as physical as Jenkins, is great in press man coverage as opposed to a zone heavy scheme. McDonald is a work in progress either way, but his man-to-man skills are there if he can continue to develop. I don't think this hire changes anything about our team needs. We'll still be running a 3-4 defense ans we'll still need at least 2 new linebackers and probably at least one new starting DB.

[Linked Image from i232.photobucket.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Regardless, we need a corner.

Wright and BMac are decent corners, but I'd love to see another starter brought in.

I'd love to go LB in the first round (Maualuga), but I wouldn't be upset at all if we brought in a big, physical corner in Jenkins.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
But the reality is that

1: We absolutely need an impact linebacker and

2: Rookie corners usually struggle in their first year.

Personally, I'd rather sign a corner and draft a linebacker. Take a secondary player when you don't have gaping holes in your front 7.

you had a good run Hank.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
This is a good move by EM, Ryan is a good coach. It would not have been wise to bring back the former HC as a DC. That really had disaster written all over it.

I think the first priority has to be a stud OLB pass rusher, and then a physical ILB, like A. Curry from Wake.

I think EW and BM played really well considering our pass rush, money could be spent and draft picks used it more important areas.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Few things that make me encouraged...

1) Mangini put together a package that completely confused Roethlisberger with a 2007 Jets defense that was personnel-wise worse than our own unit's current personnel.

2) Rob Ryan put together a package in Oakland that produced one of Ben's all-time worst games.

3) Rob wants to run a 3-4...even though they've had different paths to coordinator jobs...Rob and Rex are identical twins with the same father who taught them the same principles. I'd have to imagine their defensive philosophies are very similar.

4) Raiders fans believe Al Davis handcuffed Rob Ryan...who knows?

I hope this works out well.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

No way do you pick a guy based on a coorinator. Thats just stupid.

And Ryan has run both a 4-3 and 3-4 in Oakland. I LOVE the idea of having Ryan as DC. I hope that Mangini/Ryan are able to convince Tucker to stay on as DB coach.

I believe that Mangini switched the Jets from a 4-3 to a 3-4. I'm not so sure what defense we will have. I think we have the players to switch to a 4-3. Both Williams and Rodgers were good players in a 4-3. Jackson is probably better suited to a 4-3. My question is can Wimbley convert to play in a 4-3?

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B

Rob will know his brothers stuff, could help us out big time. I'm so curious as to what he says in his presser.

I'm dieing to know what time it is, so I can plan a way to catch it.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
A few more things.

-Did you know that Rob Ryan graduate assistant at Ohio State? I found that interesting.

-I heard that Bill Callahan is going to be the offensive line coach. It was said on channel 19 in Cleveland by Bob Gollic. Take it for what it's worth.

-Jim Donavan said that the most important factor to Randy Lerner was that Mangini knew and has followed the Browns ever since he has worked here. Said he followed it to Baltimore then watched it since it began in 1999. Perhaps he didn't interview for other jobs because this is the one he really wanted?

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

But the reality is that

1: We absolutely need an impact linebacker and

2: Rookie corners usually struggle in their first year.

Personally, I'd rather sign a corner and draft a linebacker. Take a secondary player when you don't have gaping holes in your front 7.

Agreed. LB is the most crucial position to upgrade this year. Like you said, I'd rather sign a CB, but, if we did pick up Jenkins, I couldn't be to upset about it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Heck Al Davis is handcuffing the whole Raider's org.. what are you talking about?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Heck Al Davis is handcuffing the whole Raider's org.. what are you talking about?

Al Davis needs to die.

Seriously.

Until he does, the Raiders will never have a winning organization.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
NRTU

I wouldn’t count on the fact that Ryan is a lock to be the new DC, then again to this point in time there is just enough truth coming from the media to give it at least a possibility.

Got to wonder though if one of Buddy’s boys will actually be up to what I have heard about EM. From what I have seen in print EM is tuff and then some on his assistants. Buddy was a fiery couch that didn’t take it from anyone. I got to believe the kids aren’t much different. And again from what I have read the Ryan boys believe strongly in themselves. I have serious reservations about how well these 2 guys will work together as HC and DC. I also know they worked together in NE, but the stakes are higher now and both have surely changed and have grown as coaches. I sure as hell wouldn’t mind getting the results the Bears did with the tandem of BR and MD, but those guys didn’t even talk to each other. It was remarkable how well they did on the field when you factor in how poorly they got along.

Perhaps today will know, or have an idea as to the make-up of EM’s staff. It's sure to be more then a little interesting.

JMHThoughts

BTTB

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Al Davis needs to die.

Seriously.

Until he does, the Raiders will never have a winning organization.

Than: Long Live AL Davis

I dont want the raiders to win, 70% of thier fans are idiots

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
If we draft Jenkins and Maualuga over Curry this new regime will have lost me already....both aren´t even Top10 talents imho...both are too inconsitent and 1 dimensional for that...Jenkins isn´t even the best CB in this class, Vontae Davis is and a handful of others aren´t worse but ranked lower because they don´t play at OSU...Maualuga will be a 2 down LB in the NFL, a great 1 but that´s not worthy of a top 5 pick...Curry does it all....it really should be a no brainer if Curry is there at 5

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Our Defensive Coordinator... It's not Romeo...

Link Copied to Clipboard