Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O.k...

Browns introduce Mangini
Zac Jackson, Staff Writer
Eric Mangini is a Cleveland Brown. Again.

The Browns introduced Mangini as their new head coach Thursday morning, bringing Mangini back to the organization he started his NFL career with 14 years ago.

He returns to Cleveland as the man in charge after spending the last three seasons in his first head-coaching job with the Jets. He broke into the NFL in 1994 with the Browns, first as a ball boy and then as an intern in the club's public relations department.

"I couldn't be happier to come home to Cleveland," Mangini said. "I'm excited about getting to work and moving forward."

Mangini was hired by then-head coach Bill Belichick and joined the Browns coaching staff as a coaching assistant in 1995. He spent the next 11 years as an NFL assistant with the Ravens, Jets and Patriots before becoming the Jets' head coach in 2006.

The Jets posted two winning records in Mangini's three seasons there and a 23-25 record overall.

In his first season, he led the Jets to a 10-6 record and an AFC Wildcard playoff berth with a team that led the NFL with five special teams returns for touchdowns. The 2008 Jets finished 9-7, just missed an AFC Playoff berth and are sending six players to the Pro Bowl.

In all, Mangini has 14 years of NFL coaching experience, has been a part of five division title-winning teams, three conference champions and three Super Bowl championships.

Now, he's hoping to bring those things to Cleveland.

"Hearing Randy (Lerner) talk about his vision and sharing that vision, it was critical to me," Mangini said. "The most important thing is the conversations I had with Randy and being able to talk about the important issues that go into operating a team, operating an organization, having a general manager you work side by side with."

The Browns began their coach search late last month and interviewed several qualified and talented candidates.

"We selected the person that had the most drive, was the most passionate and most qualified to be the head coach of the Cleveland Browns," Browns President Mike Keenan said.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Man did he look nervous to u???...I didn't think he was in the least...

Heckert pullin' out is pretty simple...He doesn't know Mangini therefore it's a 50-50 if they would work well together...NEXT...

Love his 3-4 explanations...Especially this...

Send ANY of the 4 LB's...

GO GET CURRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Browns!!!
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Yes he seems to know what he wants in a 34 ..

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Just putting this out there, I hope Mangini and staff can work with Wimbley, better then they did with Gholston. Both players were DEs in college and moved to OLB in the 3-4. Both were picked around the same pick. Gholston was supposed to be a rare physical speciman and he wasnt even on the active roster towards the end of the year.

I also wonder if Mangini can bring some players with him. Its been said that some players didnt like him. He got alot of praise from Leon Washington. It dont happen as much as it use to, but coaches often brought along players they knew from a previose team to fim the system. Like when Belichek brought Chip Banks and Pepper Johnson over from the Giants.

Just a couple thought to put out there.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Yes he seems to know what he wants in a 34 ..

I was quite pleased to see his quick reply to Drennan, no waffling, no stutter, just NO! Decisive is what we need!

I was a fence sitter with him early on...I think I'm going to like him though!

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Random question that just hit me... Has anyone heard of Eric speaking to the team yet?

Just curious, because this media day and individual interviews with local personalities is great and all... But I'm curious to hear about him addressing the team and the reaction from the team itself.

Go Browns!!

RIP RK
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Is there a link to watch the interview?

Legend
Legend
Check out the "Browns Sights and Sounds" at the top of the page, then check out the press conferences.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
He hasn't been in long enough to speak to them but he will..

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
j/c

Was listening to Sirius on the way home and Solomon Wilcots and Pat Kirwan seemed to be okay with the decision, not that their opinions matter any more than Adam Schein and John Riggins. But I do know Kirwan was in the league for a number of years and has even worked with Mangini. He said that he's wicked smart and knows his football and should be great at running the football team in an organized and consistent manner. Curious about the contrasting styles of running the 3-4 between Mangini and Ryan. Ryan likes to run more of a hybrid style that can change up and disguise things where as Mangini likes to stay more to a true 3-4. Their only real gripe was that he needs to incorporate some of his people skills into the football operations, like when dealing with coaches and players. They think this is where RAC could really benefit him, in an advisory role. But for the most part, it seems like some people outside of Adam Schein and Rod Woodson, the people who REALLY know this league and know football, are warming up to this decision to basically hand the keys to Mangini. On a personal note, though, I'm gonna hold off on all the "Mangenius" stuff for now.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Random question that just hit me... Has anyone heard of Eric speaking to the team yet?

Just curious, because this media day and individual interviews with local personalities is great and all... But I'm curious to hear about him addressing the team and the reaction from the team itself.

Especially BE,....

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
NY Jets total D rankings;
'06-20th
'07-18th
'08-16th

"Yes he seems to know what he wants in a 34"

Mediocrity?

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

I just heard a tiny blurb on Sirius from Darnell Dinkins about the hiring. He just said he hopes he can turn things around in Cleveland as quickly as he did in NY. I don't suppose anyone had the heart to tell Dink that he probably won't be around to see it.

Legend
Legend
You see mediocrity, I see constant improvement.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
No listening to U guys trying to do stand up

Fact is the Jets never had a great assemblance of talent..sound familar?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

You see mediocrity, I see constant improvement.

Agreed,...a 16th ranked defense that stays off the field while its offense puts up 40 a game is just fine with me. (Not saying the Jets did that, but it would be fun if the Browns did,....)

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Listening to Lerner on WTAM he said he's not in a rush to hire a GM..it was more important to get the HC in first..if you don't get the chemistry right in the building the wheels come off..

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
It sounds very familiar.
Only it won't be something Mr.Mangini will be able to use this time around.The ball will definately be in his court.
DC,
It does show improvement.
From just below mediocre to exactly mediocre.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
N
Legend
Legend
N
well, let's hope it continues 14,12,10 in the next 3 years. After the past few, I would take that.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
During the same 3 years, the Browns were 27th, 30th, 26th.. Heck, having the #16 ranked defense would feel like the 85 Bears to me...

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well.. We have a new HC. Welcome back to town Aunty EM

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
I would have thought they would have had him speak before the team before the media. Honestly not trying to be critical, just curious.

I would guess he would move forward by meeting with each player individually for a brief time.

Go Browns!!

RIP RK
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Like when Belichek brought Chip Banks and Pepper Johnson over from the Giants.

Actually, it was Carl Banks. Chip Banks was drafted by the Browns and left here to play for the Colts.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It sounds very familiar.
Only it won't be something Mr.Mangini will be able to use this time around.The ball will definately be in his court.
DC,
It does show improvement.
From just below mediocre to exactly mediocre.

I would want to see what stat that whole thing is based on,....i.e. if it was Total YPG, what is/was the difference between being #16 and, say, #8 ?? Then it perhaps isn't so mediocre.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Plus it was tennabaum (who has NO experience from what I know) who was picking his D talent. I have a feeling those two started as friends and the relationship went south for some reason.

I read that TJ Mc (our dir of player personal is in the mix for GM.......he did well on contracts didn't he?)

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I would have thought they would have had him speak before the team before the media. Honestly not trying to be critical, just curious.

Not sure how they could accomplish that.. most of the guys are scattered to the 4 winds... I'm sure most don't sit around the facility there all year round..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

i.e. if it was Total YPG, what is/was the difference between being #16 and, say, #8 ?? Then it perhaps isn't so mediocre.

It is ypg.. and #16 is 329.4 ypg, #8 is 294.3 ypg.. for a difference of 35.1 ypg... is that a big difference? I don't know...

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
I figured we were going on Pts per game....I think that is a better statistical tool for a defense.

Look at the UT vs. OSU game. Pretty good defense in the first half, right? Yet both teams were already over 200 yards of offense (because the defense got better as the field got shorter).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Not sure how they could accomplish that.. most of the guys are scattered to the 4 winds... I'm sure most don't sit around the facility there all year round..

Part of the problem,...

Legend
Legend
Well, actually the Jets were about 16 in ppg last year... oddly enough just .3 ppg behind the Browns...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Look at the UT vs. OSU game. Pretty good defense in the first half, right? Yet both teams were already over 200 yards of offense (because the defense got better as the field got shorter).

Actaully, just from a "feel" standpoint.. it felt like Wells was carving up Texas in the first half and I thought the fact that OSU didn't have a 2 TD lead was bad news for them... it didn't feel like Texas was having as much success...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Actaully, just from a "feel" standpoint.. it felt like Wells was carving up Texas in the first half and I thought the fact that OSU didn't have a 2 TD lead was bad news for them... it didn't feel like Texas was having as much success...

Bingo !! You don't kick FG's against a "Texas,...."

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Man did he look nervous to u???...I didn't think he was in the least...

At the beginning of that presser he reminded me of Flounder from Animal House.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
B
Legend
Legend
B
He is never going to win awards from Toastmasters, but on the flip side, most of those people can't coach a football team.

It wouldn't hurt the guy to learn to speak in front of a crowd, but in the end, it doesn't really matter if he wins.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Anyone can stand up there and say I'm gonna/wanna do this and that,but until they show it on the field and in the win/loss column,it's just words.I hope he's the guy to turn this team around cause it sure gets old saying,"maybe next year".

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Didn't really think about the fact that they are all back home... I keep forgetting that January isn't a football month anymore in Cleveland....

However, you would think a good number would be around for something as important as this. I know if I was getting a new boss, I'd want to meet him.

Go Browns!!

RIP RK
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think he's a good choice, even though he spells his first name wrong.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
j/c
I just watched the presser.
He said he spent more time with Mr. Lerner than he did with his wife and kids and that they talked about every aspect of football. Well, this would explain why other teams didn't bother to ask for an interview. He was pretty much locked up by Randy.

If Mangini was known as stoic in the past, we should expect pretty much the same. People are who they are. They don't change overnight. (tigers don't change their spots) This is not to say that people don't learn from past experiences. (live and learn)

I've never been a big fan of the jump up and down, rah rah type of coach. I always preferred one that looked and acted professionally. That's not to say that a coach can't talk to (coach up) a player(s) during a game. It's important to correct (coach) while the iron is hot. You don't have to do it like Bill Parcells, who tried to embarrass you on the sidelines.

I'm not really the biggest fan of this hire especially after reading some of the reports from anonymous Jets players....but he is OUR coach now....he's got a clean slate. From now on I'm going on the fact that he's learned from the past and was hand picked by Mr. Lerner because Mr. Lerner believes he's the right man for the job.

I do like the type of player(s) that he wants to bring in. Not at all different from the player that Romeo and Phil wanted. Good character, smart, selfless, hard working, etc.

Now, some people are saying that Mr. Lerner has done it backwards. That the GM should be hired first and HE hires the coach. Well, I don't see anything wrong with doing it this way either. Now, the GM is brought in to work WITH the HC. If you ask me, the HC tells the GM what he needs and the GM gets it. The guy in charge of the players on the field, on Sunday, knows best what he needs. Romeo knew what he needed but Phil decided what Romeo would get. Well, maybe that's not the best way to go. Let's try it THIS way and see what happens.

Go Eric. Bring in the right guys.
Go Browns!

[Linked Image from members.cox.net] AL 29 76 14 R_K
I
1st String
1st String
I
At this point i think he could be the best AVAILABLE person we could get, i'm optomistic. But don't coun't on any pompoms waved around till we see a offencive touchdown.

Ruining QB's since 1999.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mangenius named new coach..part two

Link Copied to Clipboard