Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
Quote:

And you got this from his first 36 hours on the job. Damn!! You're good.........

LOL,, Django forgets that ego is part of what makes a coach great... You wanna tell me that the following successful coachs had no ego:

Bill Cowher
Bill Parcells
Bill Belichick
Marty Schottenheimer
Don Shula
Chuck Noll

Do I need to go on.. for some, ego is a bad word... EGO is not the problem..

Arrogance is!

Mangini doesn't strike me as arrogant. Does he have an ego,,, I sure as hell hope so..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Martindale

...clever Peen,.....very clever,

Legend
Legend
Oh lord,,I just got that,,,, Peen,, you are tooooo clever

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
J
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J
Quote:

Quote:

Who's a better DC than Rob Ryan that the Browns could get?

What´s Mike Nolan doing these days? He knows the 3-4 and won´t get any HC offers...

Gregg Williams is coveted by some teams as DC now that he will be fired after an unlucky season in JAX...he has an impressive track record as DC though

Mike Nolan is going to Green Bay and from what I've read WIlliams is going to the Saints. Since Williams runs a 4-3, we have no use for him here.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ryan coming in means a upgrade the linebacker position...thats a plus..

C
Poser
Poser
C
Quote:

Quote:

I bet you have no clue that he ran two top ten defenses, not to mention his team is great against the pass.

But I should expect this from you. You're the one bitching and moaning about Mangini. Keep complaining.

Lol, top10 D my a**....that´s why stats are for losers...they got run over in those seasons and couldn´t score...opposing teams just milked the clock and ran over them...of course their passing D stats and overall stats looked better....when they had to pass against them, they could

Go ask some Raiders fans...I did....majority of them is happy to see Ryan finally let go...some say he wasn´t the problem...but that´s as positive as you´ll hear from them about him

Nolan and G.Williams have a much better track record and more experience...but they aren´t buds with Mangini...I don´t know about you...but I want the best for the Browns and not the best for Mangini

It´s early...but all things point to Mangini being a guy with a big EGO-problem....think Butch Davis, Nick Saban Egos...competent but they want to have it their way....and more often than not this is a recipe for disaster in the NFL

Oh, well, then it's settled.You asked some Raider fans and they said he sucked so that must make it true because fans know everything.

All signs point to you not having a clue as to what you are talking about. Ryan is a very good DC that has done the best he could with the talent given him and a change in philosophy from the FO. You say he was too submissive to do anything about it. The man had a contract. He honored it. He got the best he could out of what he had.

Mangini has an ego problem? How do you figure that? You do realize that here in "reality", coaches pick their OCs, DCs, and assts, right? They do so because they are comfortable with them, confident in their abilities, and share the same philosophies and vision. You act like Mangini picking coaches he thinks are good is a "ego" problem. Here in "reality", it's called being a head coach.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Mike Nolan is going to Green Bay

I thought RAC was interviewing for the Green Bay DC job?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

You do realize that here in "reality", coaches pick their OCs, DCs, and assts, right? They do so because they are comfortable with them, confident in their abilities, and share the same philosophies and vision.

I think it's much more interesting to saddle the HC with coordinators he doesn't like and doesn't agree with to see if he can succeed anyway.. that way you really know he's a good HC..

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Stop the press's ... We agree on some thing ( as of late ) .. I really am excited about Ryan coming to Cleveland .. Running his style 3-4 should ( I say , I say , should ) give me some thing to smile about !

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Stop the press's ... We agree on some thing ( as of late ) .. I really am excited about Ryan coming to Cleveland .. Running his style 3-4 should ( I say , I say , should ) give me some thing to smile about !

So what's his 3-4 gonna resemble?

I hope to God it resembles his brother's 3-4...

J
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J
Quote:

Quote:

Mike Nolan is going to Green Bay

I thought RAC was interviewing for the Green Bay DC job?

Not sure about what you said about RAC, but http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/05/report-mike-nolan-to-coach-packers-defense/ says he's already there.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I hope to God it resembles his brother's 3-4...

maybe it will resemble it, but until the players are upgraded,,, there are still gonna be questions.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Just a question because while I know of the Raiders defense now, and what they had with Sapp and such all under Ryan.

Has Rob Ryan EVER ran a defense similar to Rex's? When did he run this 3-4 aggressive D that we're excited for? I hear Rob Ryan and I think good defense but only because I know the Raiders have been lauded for their defense.

help?

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
Legend
I did a LITTLE research and to me it's still a little unclear why some are so excited.

At first, I kinda thought,, Oh no,, this doesn't look all that good. Then upon further review, there are some positives about the way the guy operates.. read the stuff I copied and pasted about his history.

To me, the biggest part why this might be a good hire stems from his knowledge of working with Mangini in the past in NE. He, RAC and Mangini have spent time together and know each others tendencies.

In fact, it's almost a dream team of sorts.

How will it play out? Got me.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
"He, RAC and Mangini have spent time together and know each others tendencies.

In fact, it's almost a dream team of sorts."

So were Larry,Moe and Curly.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
anyone have an opinion on what the offense might be?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
According to Mangini Daboll will run a NE type offense. If Callahan does indeed come also, we will have some West Coast type stuff mixed in as well.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

According to Mangini Daboll will run a NE type offense. If Callahan does indeed come also, we will have some West Coast type stuff mixed in as well.

Yea, according to some reports that I cannot verify... ... Mangini had a run first, short pass offense set up in New York before they went out and got Favre, then they had to completely change the offense to suit him.

With all of the speculation on what Ryan means to the defense in the draft, I'm thinking the proposed offensive scheme will call for a versatile, power running/pass catching back real soon as well.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

"He, RAC and Mangini have spent time together and know each others tendencies.

In fact, it's almost a dream team of sorts."

So were Larry,Moe and Curly.

Yes,, Larry Moe and Curly were a dream team,,,, and they were simply amazing at what they did,,, so,, are you saying that the Three stooges weren't good at being Funny,,, which was what they did for a living ya know...

I hope that if it comes to that, RAC, Mangini and Ryan can be as good at what they do as the three stooges were at what they did.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

With all of the speculation on what Ryan means to the defense in the draft, I'm thinking the proposed offensive scheme will call for a versatile, power running/pass catching back real soon as well.

Chester Taylor baby!!!!!!!

Dont know if its possible but i really like his style and know he is close to the end of his contract and the vikes need a qb!!!!

hint hint....

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just clicking.

I must say that it's interesting to see the defensive differences when Ryan was under Art Shell as opposed to Lane Kiffin.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Chester Taylor baby!!!!!!!

Dont know if its possible but i really like his style and know he is close to the end of his contract and the vikes need a qb!!!!

hint hint....

Oh I really don't think we're going to trade Quinn this off season. All signs point to holding onto both for now.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Interesting...Scroll down the ASS'T Coaches...

Tucker and Chud out...New DC IN...

http://www.nfl.com/teams/clevelandbrowns/coaches?coaType=head&team=CLE

Go Browns!!!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Interesting...Scroll down the ASS'T Coaches...

Tucker and Chud out...New DC IN...

Well, Mangini did say in his presser the other day that he would like Ryan for DC and Daboll for OC.. I guess they are in the midst of making it all happen..

What's interesting is that there was no fanfare about Ryan being hired and having it be a done deal..

What's more interesting is that the Browns main site still shows Chud and Tucker and NO Ryan:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/coaches.php

Last edited by Damanshot; 01/10/09 09:34 AM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Actually,I'm looking forward to the same comedy of errors I've been witness to year,after year,after year.The ring masters have changed but the show remains the same.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Actually,I'm looking forward to the same comedy of errors I've been witness to year,after year,after year.The ring masters have changed but the show remains the same.

LOL, there is always that possibility.. no question.

But you know, there is a slightly different feel to this situation.

In the past, we've hired a President, who hired a GM who hired a coach who hired assistents.

Then we switched Coaches and that new coach hired new assistents and in his second year, hired a new GM..

Then we hired a new President somewhere in there who later hired a new GM and HC..

Then we fired that President and eventually hired a new one.

This time, we have something different happening.

The owner, probably feeling like a guy that was once bitten and twice shy (I know I would be) hires a New president.. Then the OWNER hires a new HC and is looking for a GM as we speak.

I guess Randy took a page from the "if you always do what you've done, then you will always get what you got" school of thought and changed it up.

I have no idea if this will work out any better.. I do know that right now, Pat Bowlen is taking the same approach in Denver and in 2000 Robert Kraft took the same approach in NE. So Randys method isn't really anything new to the league,, just new to the Browns under this ownership.

I guess well see won't we.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
i'm glad you have something to look forward too.

I am actually quite pleased with the new changes. The browns needed a coach that would hold the players accountable for what they did or did not do on the field. They needed some discipline. With Mangini and Ryan, i think we will get that. The offensive coordinator concerns me a bit, but that's not a done deal. I would assume that the hiring of Kokonis is all but a formality at this point- if not, you may be correct with the comedy of errors.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Oh we shall see.
I'm on the sidelines in this debate.Excellent points have been for and against,I'm having trouble making up my mind.
Our division is going to be very tough next year.We could be 8-8 and finish in last place.The new guy is going to have one tough row to hoe.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Oh we shall see.
I'm on the sidelines in this debate.Excellent points have been for and against,I'm having trouble making up my mind.

BC,, if I gave you the impression that all is perfect in my mind about what's taken place... stop the presses.. I'm no more sure of anything than anyone else.. I hope it works,, I think it might. There are examples of what Lerner is sitting up working in other places.

So as long as Mangini is the right guy ( I got no real reason to think he's not) and we get good assistent coaches who make the players more accountable, then sure, it could be great..... sounds good to me anyway

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So where are these coordinators?

What the hell is going on? I thought Rob Ryan was already hired, why haven't we heard anything.

Alot of people on here think this has been an ass backwards off-season. I'm starting to think that there is definately some real dysfunction thus far.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

What the hell is going on? I thought Rob Ryan was already hired, why haven't we heard anything.

Alot of people on here think this has been an ass backwards off-season. I'm starting to think that there is definately some real dysfunction thus far.

First off,, Calm down...

Mangini has indicated that his two top choices for OC and DC are Daboll and Ryan.

Daboll is under contract with the Jets and I'm thinking there might be a hold up with them giving permission to talk to him.

As for Ryan, his contract is up on Tuesday of next week. And yeah, it's been reported that Al Davis and the Raiders have said he's free to do what ever he wants to do.. But if you are Randy Lerner, Eric Mangini and Rob Ryan, do you take Al Davis at his word?

No,, I don't. I wait until Tuesday and then there is no conflict possible. That deal could be done already but perhaps they are waiting to announce it until he's totally clear from his contract with the Raiders...

Daboll is another question mark however. I'm neither for or against Daboll. I know very little about him to be honest. But this could get scrambled by the Jets if they decide they just don't want Mangini taking any coaches from the team. I think the Jets could block the move by not giving permission to talk. Not sure!

So give it a few more days on the DC... I think that will be done. Then you will see the new DC making hires for his staff...

The OC could take a little longer.

Last edited by Damanshot; 01/11/09 10:38 AM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
It's NFL.com that's feeding the information Ryan is already on board. On their site under the Browns/coaches/assistant coaches they list Ryan as our DC.

The link - you may have to click assistant coaches at the top

I've not seen or heard anywhere else this was a done deal but certainly NFL.com thinks it is.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Yeah Tulsa,, I did see that and it made me think it was a done deal. Then I went to the Browns main site and Tucker was still listed as DC... Ryans name wasn't on it and there was no annoucement of anything.

SI or whoever can report whatever they want.. (like I said, the deal is probably done but nobody trusts Davis)

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/coaches.php

As you can see, as of 9:55 am on Sunday 1/11/09, nothing has changed on the Browns site...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O.k thx.

Gettin a little antsy.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Here's an article about Rob Ryan that puts me a little more at ease...

http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/2009/01/08/ryan-was-the-ultimate-company-man/

Ryan was the ultimate company man

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, January 8th, 2009 at 1:36 pm in Oakland Raiders.

We can assume Rob Ryan had his own ideas of how to play defense in the NFL, and probably even implemented a lot of them.

But the Raiders being the Raiders, Ryan was here for five years and we still aren’t sure how good he is as a defensive coordinator.

A lot of you think you have the answer, based on the comments which pile up at the bottom of this blog on a daily basis. Ryan is a no-blitzing, man-to-man playing, long-haired, sloppily-dressed buffoon of a coach.

Now he’s off to join new Cleveland coach Eric Mangini, something he wanted to do after the 2007 season when Mangini was with the New York Jets after Lane Kiffin made it clear he wanted a new defensive coordinator.

Al Davis, of course, had other ideas. If Kiffin wanted Ryan out, then, by God, Ryan was staying to fill out the last year of his contract. In a lot of different ways, Kiffin let everyone know how he felt about that.

Ryan could have been bitter. Never was heard a discouraging word. He faithfully followed a chain-of-command that began with Davis.

When the defense played well, Ryan didn’t step forward and take credit. When it played poorly, he took the blame. He was brash and and full of B.S., in part because it is his personality and in part because it deflected the blame from his players.

After Kiffin shrugged his shoulders and pointed to Davis and Ryan as responsible for the Denver debacle in Week 1, Ryan was authorized to go on the attack.

Kiffin said defensive schemes were devised by Ryan in a weekly conversation with Davis, as if Al were drawing up game plans and instructing Ryan what to do with regard to deployment of personnel and down and distance.

Ryan said he barely had time to his wife each week, let alone Davis. He said his conversatons with the owner were limtied to the offseason.

If Ryan was his own man with regard to defense, it would be a first where the Raiders are concerned. Bill Belichick, during a conference call a few years back, discussed how much he enjoyed talking technical football with Davis, called him “Coach Davis,” and openly wondered why he was even interviewing, given Davis proclivity for hiring offensive coaches while the owner was more heavily involved on defense with the coordinator.

Kiffin exaggerated Davis’ involvement, pushing a button aimed at getting himself at fired.

Ryan, in turn, held fast with his employer, taking full responsibility and keeping Davis out of it.

It was admirable, really, that Ryan seemed to never have an unguarded moment where he complained about his plight.

Davis has a certain way he wants things done, even if he isn’t involved in game plans. I’ve heard it talked about (for background purposes) with lots of people in a position to know, but the best (and only) on-the-record summary of how it works was by former Raiders executive Mike Lombardi in the National Football Post on Sept. 12.

“The fact is, Ryan does set the game plan, although he has significant restrictions on him that were in place long before Ryan set foot in the Hotel,” wrote Lombardi, who refers to the Raiders as the “Hotel California.”

“Ask Gunther Cunningham, Jim Haslett, Dave Adolph, Willie Shaw and even Charlie Sumner. Ask them how the Raiders play the bootleg, how there always has to be a player in the middle of the field, how the eight-man front defense is played. Ryan is always stuck with certain guys that he has to play and use.”

Davis doesn’t run the defense. But there are certain things he expects to see _ hence the use of more man-to-man press coverage than most teams and a belief in natural, four-man pressure whenever possible, plus a lot more technical football that’s beyond my scope and most of yours as well.

If the Cleveland Browns suddenly begin running the sort of exotic pressures that Rob’s twin brother Rex uses in Baltimore, and there is more of a reliance on zone coverages, we will have our answer.

Then again, Mangini is considered a bit of a control freak and he’s a defensive guy himself.

So maybe we’ll never know.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Without making comment about the changes that have happened A big part of the probelm is not adopting a plan and sticking to it.

In this case I don't believe we will witness a huge change unless we get better players. I am and have been a firm believer in talent wins and lack of talent losses.

Simple I know but thats how I see it..

BTTB

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
Browns coordinators close to signing, and already working
by Mary Kay Cabot Monday January 12, 2009, 12:22 PM
CLEVELAND -- Browns soon-to-be coordinators Rob Ryan and Brian Daboll have already been in Cleveland working on a preliminary basis in their new roles, a source said today.

Ryan, the former Oakland Raiders defensive coordinator, is still in town and has been for several days. He hasn't formally been announced as the defensive coordinator yet, but it's expected to happen soon. Daboll, the former quarterbacks coach of the Jets, was in town over the weekend, but might be back in New York now.

The Browns are close to signing both men, the source said.

Meanwhile, new head coach Eric Mangini is expected to meet with the current Browns assistants this week, the source said. Offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski has interviewed for the 49ers coordinator job and defensive coordinator Mel Tucker has interviewed for the Jaguars coordinator job. Quarterbacks coach Rip Scherer is a candidate to remain with the Browns.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Browns coordinators close to signing, and already working
by Mary Kay Cabot Monday January 12, 2009, 12:22 PM
CLEVELAND -- Browns soon-to-be coordinators Rob Ryan and Brian Daboll have already been in Cleveland working on a preliminary basis in their new roles, a source said today.

Ryan, the former Oakland Raiders defensive coordinator, is still in town and has been for several days. He hasn't formally been announced as the defensive coordinator yet, but it's expected to happen soon. Daboll, the former quarterbacks coach of the Jets, was in town over the weekend, but might be back in New York now.

The Browns are close to signing both men, the source said.

Meanwhile, new head coach Eric Mangini is expected to meet with the current Browns assistants this week, the source said. Offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski has interviewed for the 49ers coordinator job and defensive coordinator Mel Tucker has interviewed for the Jaguars coordinator job. Quarterbacks coach Rip Scherer is a candidate to remain with the Browns.

I hope Ryan gets to have a press conference. I hope the questions asked will be along the lines of "how different will your scheme be from the one you ran in Oakland, how similar will they be to Eric Mangini's schemes, and how similar will they be to your twin brother's schemes in Baltimore?"

Dude's the son of Buddy Ryan and the brother of one of the biggest blitzers in the game...I can't imagine him being NOT being a big time blitzer despite his resume in Oakland.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I can't imagine him being NOT being a big time blitzer despite his resume in Oakland.

Me Neither,, now all he needs are the horses to do the job!

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Some thoughts...

The scheme WILL change. There are reasons for that...

1) Rob Ryan is NOT Mel Tucker. Ryan was raised in the Buddy Ryan + Bill Belichick education. I don't care if the scheme is exactly the same, the gameplans and play calling will change.

2) Yes, Tucker was raised in the Romeo model, who was raised by the Belichick/Parcells model...but that does NOT mean the system is the same, nor will the playcalling be. Reason 2 is similar to 1, but different. Tucker's only NFL defensive experience has been in Cleveland...Rob was not only raised in the Buddy Ryan philosophy, but has received the Belichick and Al Davis (whether or not that's good or bad is up for debate) education as well. In other words, his background is more diverse. More diverse than even Mangini.

3) If Mangini trusts Ryan (which I believe to be the case), he'll give Ryan the freedom to run his D, which I'd have to imagine would be a cross between what his brother runs in Baltimore and what Belichick runs in New England.

4) Ignore Oakland, Al Davis put restrictions on what Rob could and couldn't do...so did Lane Kiffin. Al Davis wanted man to man with a 4 man rush, while Kiffin wanted the Tampa 2...neither of which are Rob's philosophies or strengths. Funny how I say he's received an Al Davis education but to ignore his Oakland stint...well, I'm not saying Al Davis doesn't know football, because he does, I just think his philosophy on the game has passed him by, that doesn't mean he doesn't know anything about the current game. Personnel was a factor too.

I'm very anxious to know what this will resemble. Does anyone who has any inside info know anything?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum O and D Coordinators and other assistants

Link Copied to Clipboard