Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
.......Almost.

The cries have been getting louder and louder over the past several years. They say it's not fair that the pure luck of winning the coin toss should decide a winner, since a team can lose a game without ever touching the ball.

Now some of the arguements are legitimate points, while others are pure unadulterated BS.

To a point, I can agree that something needs to be done based on the fact that since 2000, the team winning the coin toss wins the game 57% of the time. That is a little bit unfair, and the NFL can thank itself and it's chosen direction over the past 30 years for the discrepencies. Remember, they've been slowly tilting the rules to favor offense during that span, so it only stands to reason that offenses would have the advantage in overtime.

The twist to that stat is as follows: In the current playoff format, teams in the playoffs who've won the toss have LOST 4 out of 5 games. Kinda makes you think, doesn't it?

After consideration, I believe that odd change of events stems from the fact that in the playoffs, you almost never have teams with poor defenses, so the offenses don't have the advantage that they'd have in the regular season. There's also the reality that only 5 games can't represent enough case-study material to get an accurate representation of how things are playing out.

Let me back up and offer the one complaint that I'd heard which sent me over this perticular edge. It doesn't come from some idiot on a message board, but rather one of the most respected sports announcers in the world today: Mike Tirico. He offered up this gem on talk radio this past week:

"Why do I think the current overtime system needs to be changed? Because I'm not ashamed to admit that I wanted to see the league MVP, Peyton Manning, get the ball in overtime, which he didn't get to do this past weekend."

I believe that a team is only as good as all 3 of it's facets: Special teams, Defense, and Offense. If a team can't stop anyone in overtime, then they deserve to lose the game.

However, I have a very simple solution that gets right to the heart of the problem without rewriting all the damned rule books to make a system where we mirror the college game of equal changes:

Home team gets the choice to take the ball or kick. End of story.

Why do I feel that way? The current way to determine the Super Bowl teams is all based on gaining the advantage of homefield play throughout the playoffs. So why not give the team that EARNED that advantage the choice?

Here's a stat that supports such a move: Despite the aforementioned stats, from 2000-2007, home teams have won only 51% of the games. So the real and only advantage lies in the how the home team is built, where they can determine which unit they want to march out there first.

This seems so simple that I can't believe so few people actually are talking about it. The only problem would then be the SuperBowl, but that can easily be solved by giving the team with the best record the "home field" advantage.

Am I the only one who thinks all the talk about going to a college system is rediculous, or that overtime should be cut down to 5 minutes?

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I more than hate the college system. It's awful.

I would have no qualms with the NFL leaving it as is.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wouldn't mind the college system if they started at, say, the 50, instead of the 25. Force teams to actually move the ball a little to get into FG range.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

To a point, I can agree that something needs to be done based on the fact that since 2000, the team winning the coin toss wins the game 57% of the time.

So you have a 7% better shot.

Also...in that figure which sounds close to the numbers I have heard....is that simply winning the game or winning it on the first shot down the field?? Is part of that 57% including the team who won the toss but won on their 2nd or 3rd drive in OT?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
How about, in the event of a tie, the cheerleaders mud-wrestle for it?

Well I hate the ridiculous college system and I'd hate to be the guy who's name is targeted with creating that lobstrosity.

I'm not sure I really care who gets the ball first, I'm still in favor of the coin flip but I want each offense to get their hands on the ball one time. If still tied after that, sudden death rules then apply.

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
I say just dump OT.

Make teams think about going for 2 and going for it more during the actual game if they don't want ties on the record.

That might be something to look up...teams have a option to go for 2 after a TD....I wonder how often teams actually go for 2?? The percentage has to be really low.

Lot's of points are left on the field in my view.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
So if the teams tie in the playoffs then both teams get eliminated or both advance?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

So if the teams tie in the playoffs then both teams get eliminated or both advance?

LOL....ok chin, you got me..

For playoff football....each team gets the ball on the 50...no kick-offs or punts...then runs as many plays as they can to either score or rack up yards as they can before downing out.

After each team has the ball, you go by score first, then yards gained. Do it again if need be.

Possession and direction would be done as follows...the team who had the ball last in regulation would have it 2nd in OT...just like turning the ball over...field direction would flip just as if there was a 5th qtr........give teams more to consider at the beginning of the game if they actually think ahead that far.

The game would just continue like a change of possession and end of qtr....no coin flips or anything like that...the only difference is you might give a 5 minute break between regulation and OT over the normal 2-3 minutes

The only reason they do it the way they do now is to keep things on time....playoff football doesn't have the same problem...there is already a good gap between games and it wouldn't be hard to delay the kick of the second game while the first game was being finalized.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 01/11/09 07:02 PM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Simple. Make the overtime the same as the game. That is the OT period will be 15 (or 12 if you think that is too long) minutes and played until the end of that period. If the game is still tied then the next OT period will be reduced, say to 10 minutes and played to the end. This will repeat until there is a winner. This is totally fair to both teams.

I would have OT only in the playoffs and Super Bowl. Regular season games tied at the end of regulation would be a tie. Period.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Last edited by crazyotto55; 01/11/09 07:07 PM.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Why do I feel that way? The current way to determine the Super Bowl teams is all based on gaining the advantage of homefield play throughout the playoffs. So why not give the team that EARNED that advantage the choice?

So an 8-8 Chargers team "earned" home field against a 12-4 Colts team? Chargers got home field simply because they had a weaker division.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Simple. Make the overtime the same as the game. That is the OT period will be 15 (or 12 if you think that is too long) minutes and played until the end of that period. If the game is still tied then the next OT period will be reduced, say to 10 minutes and played to the end. This will repeat until there is a winner. This is totally fair to both teams.

I would have OT only in the playoffs and Super Bowl. Regular season games tied at the end of regulation would be a tie. Period.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Good idea,....! Good compromise of the BS college way, and fair to both.

B
Legend
Legend
B
We aren't that far apart.

I like the wildcard of ties in the regular season....I also think it would open up the season a bit with us seeing more 2pt attempts and more going for it on 4th down.

As it stands, you almost have both teams working for a tie if it starts to play out that way by mid 4th qtr.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I say just dump OT.

Make teams think about going for 2 and going for it more during the actual game if they don't want ties on the record.

That might be something to look up...teams have a option to go for 2 after a TD....I wonder how often teams actually go for 2?? The percentage has to be really low.

Lot's of points are left on the field in my view.

A good way to enforce this would be to "have-to-go-for-2" after your second TD scored (like the college rule on the 3d TD), or, if you're behind and score the "tying TD" you have to go for 2,.....no matter what time of the game it is.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Statistically it's 14% of a better chance.

I think each team should have the ball at least once from either a kickoff/punt or their choosing of where the ball is left on turnover on downs. From there, sudden death.

I think there needs to be a mixture between college and pro rules...I love the back and forth of college ball but I don't like how special teams is virtually eliminated from the game in college and I don't like how a team could have an ok kick return then two first downs and they are in position to win.

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't think you could do that....some teams might actually benefit from a tie...I don't think you can tell them their season boils down to a 2 pt conversion.

I was going to add that maybe the spot for PAT's should be move up a yard to the two rather than the three.

Scoring from the two is improved....maybe enough to get more people going for two....but any way you cut it, stopping someone is better than blocking a kick.

The two point conversion is available and rarely used...the competition committee would be well served to look at that and find a way to make it more enticing to try.

Stopping or making a few of those changes the strategy of a game.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Correct. It's 14% and not 7%. But still, it's not overwhelming.

I don't think that the home team should be awarded the ball just because they're the home team....especially during the regular season that theory makes no real sence.

Perhaps we bring out a tire, rope and a tree and see which QB can get more through the swinging tire out of 10 throws.

Leave it the way it is.
Win the game in regulation.

[Linked Image from members.cox.net] AL 29 76 14 R_K
Legend
Legend
Well, I prefer the college system but not by much.

The NFL system, while close to 50%, is still unfair in my opinion if the team that wins the coin toss scores first. I know, I know...the other team has their defense on the field and has a chance to make them punt. However, it's such a small margin of "fairness". For example, the Colts/Chargers overtime had 3 penalties against the defense on the first drive. Some penalties are judgement calls and I think the NFL is an offense-based league...so the team getting the ball has a built-in advantage. And plus, it's the first that scores (FG or TD). A FG isn't enough in my opinion.

I like the college system because it's 100% fair. There is no debate...outside of it be a gimmicky way to decide the winner. I also never really liked giving the team the ball on the 25....maybe the 35 is a better start. That is a 52-yard FG if they don't move the ball.

Maybe the NFL removes field goals from overtime. Force a team to actually SCORE to win the game. Heck, after an average kickoff return, the coin toss winning team only has to move the ball 35 yards to win the game. That's not really "football".

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
There's definitely better ways than a coin toss.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Rock, paper, sissors?

#GMSTRONG
J
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J
Quote:

Like in the XFL, the ref would just put the ball down 20 yards away and two players ran at it and fought for possession?

Legend
Legend
At a minimum, both get a possession; I don't think that's too much to ask.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Still seems like 7% to me, but I am not a math guy and know it, so fine....14%....I am not interested in knowing why it's 14%....I figure those guys need jobs too, so I hire them to do my taxes and stuff like that

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Still seems like 7% to me, but I am not a math guy and know it, so fine....14%....I am not interested in knowing why it's 14%....I figure those guys need jobs too, so I hire them to do my taxes and stuff like that

Well I'm gonna tell you anyway.

If it's 57% on the positive side then it has to be 43% on the negative side, a 14% difference.

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Great

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Perhaps we bring out a tire, rope and a tree and see which QB can get more through the swinging tire out of 10 throws.

So nobody likes the old XFL rule? The rule where each team gets their fastest player ; place the ball so many yards away; blow the whistle; and the first person to the ball wins

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

So nobody likes the old XFL rule? The rule where each team gets their fastest player ; place the ball so many yards away; blow the whistle; and the first person to the ball wins

I'd still rather see the cheerleaders mud wrestle.

#GMSTRONG
O
1st String
1st String
O
I actually do like the XFL rule, but how about that in overtime you have to win by 6 points, either 2 field goals or a touchdown, that way the team who gets the ball first can't just move the ball 25 yards, kick a field goal, and win.

[Linked Image from i161.photobucket.com]Thanks NaTaS
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Am I the only one who thinks all the talk about going to a college system is rediculous

No not at all, this would screw up fantasy football leagues the most.

Last edited by Psydeffect; 01/11/09 10:41 PM.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I am not as much concerned about the overtime rules.

I think something needs to be done with these NFL Officials more than anything else

These Officials STINK!

They are clearly either

1. Taking payoffs for games
2. Betting on the games they are officiating or their buddies games
3. both 1 and 2

Look at the Steelers for crying out loud, the Referees coddle to them like no other. The Referrees basically handed them a Super Bowl against the Seahawks...Mike Holmgren is a man of integrrity, but atleast he had the guts to speak out and say somethinga bout it because his team was wrong miffed on more than 3 game changing calls...the refs handed the Steelers that game...plain and simple

Look at Yesterday, I guess Joe Flacco gets 2.5 seconds after the playclock expired to get a play off with no flag

look at how they coddle Peyton Manning

etc it goes on and on on

These refs suck! They miffed us at Bottle Gate, not to mention quite a few times

just in General watch and see...these referees are the most bias POS group I have ever seen officiating football games

I think something needs to be done about these officals before anything else..its not just about The Browns, certain teams get coddled to...always has been that way

but these referees do not call a fair game EVER no matter who is pl;aying

I have seen them hand games to the Colts, Patriots, and other teams....its sickening

Fire all these referess and bring back the replacement refs, atleast the replacement refs called a good game...the NFL needs to not re-new the refs contract and go with the replacements

theses refs stink!

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
ok...how 'bout this;
each team must have the ball at least once. if neither team leads at the of one possession each then the first team to take the lead wins.

all in favor say aye

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

ok...how 'bout this;
each team must have the ball at least once. if neither team leads at the of one possession each then the first team to take the lead wins.

all in favor say aye

aye

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

ok...how 'bout this;
each team must have the ball at least once. if neither team leads at the of one possession each, then the first team to take the lead wins.

all in favor say aye

Would you start with a kickoff to each team or each team starts at a certain yard marker?

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it."- Thomas Jefferson on Freedom of Speech
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

I actually do like the XFL rule, but how about that in overtime you have to win by 6 points, either 2 field goals or a touchdown, that way the team who gets the ball first can't just move the ball 25 yards, kick a field goal, and win.

BINGO! This idea is good for several reasons

1) It's a minor tweak and not a complete overhaul
2) It involves kickoffs and coverage thereof, which is an important facet of the game overlooked in awarding the ball at such and such a yardline
3) It doesn't force players to play 25% more football if someone gets to 6 before the fifteen minutes are up. Football is a damn hard game and asking these guys to play 15 minutes more is unnecessary

That being said, I like ties in the regular season. Adds a bit more gameplanning. "Do I just try to get in field goal range to tie, or take the risk of a turnover but go for the TD?"

Admit it, you all know I'm right!

EDIT: I mean the six point rule. Too many guys got hurt in the XFL scamble for the ball (as interesting as it was)

Last edited by MrDNA; 01/12/09 12:14 AM.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"One man's Bum is another man's Hobo" - Waterdawg
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Quote:

Would you start with a kickoff to each team or each team starts at a certain yard marker?

I wouldn't change anything from the way it is now except that the team that did not elect to receive gets a chance at possesion.
If you elect to receive and you fumble the kickoff, you're essentially done (unless the opponent misses the FG).
If you receive and score a FG or TD then you must KO to the opponent.

This may cause the coin toss winner to try and score a TD and not just a FG.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The biggest problem with NFL OT is that the rules dramatically over-emphasize special teams play. First you have the issue of modern place kickers who are ridiculously good, far better than they were when the overtime rules were first implemented. Then you have the issue that *any* score is an automatic win, so again you are placing so much emphasis on special teams, and the quality of your kicker even moreso.

Toad, like you pointed out, NFL rules have gradually been modified to favor the offense over the years. I think it's stupid that a team can win a coinflip, make a couple mid-range passes and the game is over.

Best option, IMHO, would be to somehow reduce the field position advantage of the receiving team. Ideas could include moving the kickoff line from the 30 to the 40, or giving the receiving team the ball on their 20. I think with either of these changes, the receiving would only have an ever-so-slight advantage, instead of the 60% or so that they've had in the last decade. That's pretty significant.

Another option would be the 6 point rule.. i.e. first team to score 6 points wins. I don't think this will ever happen though because the NFL surely wants to avoid more tie games.

NCAA style is another option, even if you made changes (e.g. required TD's or 2pt conversions).

Or just leave it like it is. If any one system was perfect, they'd already be using it.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Am I the only one who thinks all the talk about going to a college system is rediculous, or that overtime should be cut down to 5 minutes?

No...You're not...They're both dumb ideas...

If the NFL is dead set on a coin flip not determining heavily the outcome of a playoff game...The ONLY way to level the playing field is this...And I don't even like this...But it's acceptable...And NO...The Home Team does not get the ball first...

Coin Flip WINNER gets the ball and choice of ends...

ONE possession for each team with kickoffs...

Still TIED???...Now it's 1st to Score wins...

Go Browns!!!
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Quote:

I'd be against that.
What if it's very windy? You take the ball and make the opponent KO into the strong wind so you're gauranteed good field position?

O
2nd String
2nd String
O
Quote:

Quote:

I'd be against that.
What if it's very windy? You take the ball and make the opponent KO into the strong wind so you're gauranteed good field position?

You just played four quarters of football with the same weather conditions, so why would you be against it?

F
Legend
Legend
F
JC

I thought this would work.

The coin toss winner gets the ball, they drive, down. If they score a TD, game over, they win. If they decide to opt for a FG, then the other team gets a chance to score a TD. If they too end with a FG, then next score wins.

That way, if your close and it's 4th and 8, you can opt for a FG, and put the game in the hands of your D.

Simply because all it takes is one mistake, or slip in the turf or something to put a team in FG range. Hardly a defense that sucks, but more a lucky break by an O.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Make the overtime the same as the game. That is the OT period will be 15 (or 12 if you think that is too long) minutes and played until the end of that period. If the game is still tied then the next OT period will be reduced, say to 10 minutes and played to the end. This will repeat until there is a winner. This is totally fair to both teams.

Actually that is the way to go, due to the physical nature of the game..being that tired injuries are moe likely to occur..as far as the college game goes..IT SUCKS..
Basketball doesn't change it's OT in the pros or college, I don't believe..it might be a reduction in minutes but they still play the same structured game

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Overtime rules: Perfect exactly the way they are......

Link Copied to Clipboard