Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
J
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01112009/news/nationalnews/this_kids_a_text_maniac_149614.htm

By SUSANNAH CAHALAN

Greg Hardesty didn't LOL when he got his teen daughter's cellphone statement.

All he could think was "OMG!"

The California man's 13-year-old daughter, Reina, racked up an astonishing 14,528 text messages in one month. The online AT&T statement ran 440 pages.

"First, I laughed. I thought, 'That's insane, that's impossible,' " the 45-year-old dad said. "And I immediately whipped out the calculator to see if it was humanly possible."

He found it was - barely.

It works out to 484 text messages a day, or one every two minutes of every waking hour.

"Then I thought maybe AT&T made some mistake on the bill," said Hardesty, of Silverado Canyon.

The reporter for the Orange County Register grilled his daughter on her texting habit - by text message, of course.

"Who are you texting, anyway? Your entire school?" he asked.

"Well, a lot of my friends have unlimited texting. I just text them pretty much all the time," she explained.

She messages a core of "four obsessive texters" - all girls between the ages of 12 and 13 - on her LG phone.

Reina had a karaoke birthday party, and while other people were singing, she was texting her best friend sitting right next to her.

She even texted her friends to brag about the high number of text messages she had logged when her parents got the statement.

Her texting soared last month because "it was winter break and I was bored," Reina told her parents.

Luckily, Hardesty has a phone plan that allows unlimited texting for $30 a month. Otherwise, he estimates, he would have owed AT&T $2,905.60 at a rate of 20 cents per message.

The average number of monthly texts for a 13- to 17-year-old teen is 1,742, according to a Nielsen study of cellphone usage.

Hardesty admits he himself punches in 900 messages a month - 700 more than average for his age group, according to Nielsen.

Hardesty and his ex-wife have since placed restrictions on Reina's cellphone use, ruling she cannot text after dinner.

scahalan@nypost.com

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
The world continues to evolve into a very strange place.......

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
WOW,,, did she have time to breath between words LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Good lord.

I'd say I'm near the average, maybe below average, but texting is definitely my favorite form of communication.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I guess the good news is she didnt have time for drinking, smoking or sex

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

she was texting her best friend sitting right next to her.

Are you freaking kidding me?

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have unlimited, and only text Maybe 10 to 20 a month!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

she was texting her best friend sitting right next to her.

Are you freaking kidding me?

I'm 35 and I do that ALL THE TIME. Ok, it's usually because I text my wife or friend something funny that I can't say out loud.

Two years ago over X-mas dinner, my wifes 65-year old uncle announced that he found a new wife.....online, from the Phillipines and that she was 25. I'd be willing to bet I sent 457 messages to the other people in the room before his speech was over. And they all started with, "I just saved a bunch of money on my mail order bride."

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
That's cause you're old, and texting is a confusing new-fangled technology.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Lol! thank's for clearing that up for me

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I text back and forth with my wife only because she can't get phone calls at work If not for that I wouldn't have more than a half dozen texts a month.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Freaking wow man, I don't think I've even typed 14,000 words on this message board in the years I've been here let alone text that much, in fact my only attempt at texting was a quick " I love you" to my wife one time many many months ago, that was when I figured the textting thing is best left to someone else.

LET'S GO BROWNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Linked Image]
[b]WOOF WOOF[b]
A
Legend
Legend
A
In the last 5 years I bet I've texted a total of 2 times. I personally don't see the point in it - if something is important enough, I call. If it isn't worth a phone call, it's not worth the hassle, in my opinion.

My son on the other hand? Different story.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I text back and forth with my wife only because she can't get phone calls at work

I text back and forth with my wife, that way I dont have to actually talk to her

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I guess the good news is she didnt have time for drinking, smoking or sex

Well Don't be so sure.. I had an ex-gf who'd pick up her cellphone while we were being "intimate." There is a reason why ex's are ex's...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

The world continues to evolve into a very strange place.......

And I guess I am not evolving because I have never sent one.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Teen has 14,528 txt messages in a month

Link Copied to Clipboard