Print Thread
P
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
Ohio Teen Killed Mom Over Video Game
By M.R. KROPKO, AP
ELYRIA, Ohio (Jan. 13) - Although a teenager's obsession with a violent video game may have warped his sense of reality, the boy is guilty of murdering his mother and wounding his father after they took "Halo 3" away from him, a judge ruled Monday.

"I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea at the time he hatched this plot that if he killed his parents they would be dead forever," Lorain County Common Pleas Judge James Burge said.

Nonetheless, Burge rejected the defense attorneys' argument that Petric, 17, was not guilty by reason of insanity.

The defense didn't contest that Petric shot his parents in October 2007 after they took the game away from him, but insisted that the teen's youth and addiction made him less responsible.

Petric may have been addicted, but the evidence also showed he planned the crime for weeks, said Burge, who found the teenager guilty of aggravated murder, attempted aggravated murder and other charges.

Tried as an adult, Petric faces a maximum possible penalty of life in prison without parole. The judge didn't set a sentencing date.

The teen's mother, Susan Petric, 43, died of a gunshot wound to the head. Her husband, Mark Petric, a minister at New Life Assembly of God in Wellington, also was shot in the head but survived.

After the verdict was announced, Petric turned to look at his father seated behind him in the courtroom. Mark Petric, who previously said he has forgiven his son, gave an encouraging nod.

Mark Petric and other relatives left the court without comment.
Prosecutors said Petric planned to kill his parents because he was angry that his father would not allow him to play the video game, in which players shoot alien monsters that have taken over the Earth.

On the night of the shooting, Petric used his father's key to open a lockbox and remove a 9 mm handgun and the game.

Mark Petric testified that his son came into the room and asked: "Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you." He testified that he expected a pleasant surprise. Then his head went numb from the gunshot.

Deputy prosecuting attorney Anthony Cillo argued during the trial that the teenager had planned to make it appear to be a murder-suicide by putting the gun in his father's hand.

Defense Attorney James Kersey said that when the teenager fled the grisly scene, he only took one item with him: the "Halo 3" game.

Bungie LLC, once part of Microsoft, developed the Xbox 360-exclusive Halo 3, and Microsoft owns the game's intellectual property. Microsoft declined to comment beyond a statement: "We are aware of the situation and it is a tragic case."

web page

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
Legend
Legend
Just one word for this: sad.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Any way you cut it,...hold this kid accountable.

Damn it !!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

"I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea at the time he hatched this plot that if he killed his parents they would be dead forever," Lorain County Common Pleas Judge James Burge said.

Wrong James, wrong. He was 17, not 7. Heck....he wasn't 7 months old. At 17, I was able to understand death, murder, the context of video games, control my actions and deal with my parents restrictions without picking up a gun to get my way. If he can't understand those things by 17, I'm afraid he never will and SHOULD be locked away forever (because you're dealing with a very ill individual).

Quote:

...but insisted that the teen's youth and addiction made him less responsible.

This one sickens me. Who is responsible then? Does the defense plan to jail "youth and addiction" for life in prison? Last I check, they aren't people.

And once again, video games get a bad rap for a shooting. This could easily have been about a guitar, car priviledges or attending a party.

And what was the deal with having a gun in the house where the kid could get access to it? I know it was locked but the kid knew where the key was.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
It is sad,

Clearly the boy has problems

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

It is sad,

Clearly the boy has problems

Yeah. And by shooting his mom and dad, his problems got a lot bigger.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I read this story awhile back, very sad... Lock the kid up for good, I firmly believe that he understood his actions. Like Punch said, if he didn't at understand that shooting your parents would kill them at 17, he'd ever understand it.

I want the Cleveland Browns to be my pallbearers so they can let me down for the last time.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I heard about this on WTAM this morning as I was leaving for class. I found the Judge's remarks interesting and kinda wacked at the same time. He compared this video game to crack cocaine saying it releases dopamine the same way. And, he believes this kid was so into this game that he thoughts his parents would come back. meaning once you turn off the xbox, you can turn it back on,,the aliens will be back again. So this kid supposedly didn't realize that killing his mother would be forever.

he was 17 years old, that's horse---- I mean I love video games too but since I was younger I knew they weren't real. This defense about how video games cause violence is so stupid. Now this may open up to a civil lawsuit in the future, and kids are going to say video games told them to do some crime against their parents. Just watch.

Our honor defend, we will fight to the end, for OHIO! GO BUCKS!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree. Video games causing violence in kids is bs IMO. I know of no one in which that has happened.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I dunno Lee...Frogger caused me to believe that I could quickly hop across busy streets and not get hit and hop onto logs and not sink in the water.

Pacman also taught me that I could kill ghosts by eating white pellets and chomping the ghosts.

Mario Bros taught me that I could shoot fireballs out of my hands and hitting boxes with my head could get me lots of coins.

Should I go on?

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

hitting boxes with my head could get me lots of coins.

That explains a lot of things!!

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

I did leave myself wide open for that one! LOL

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well Mike Tyson's "Punchout" taught me I could whoop Tyson's ass!

Ahhh the Atari,,you names some of my favorites as a kid. But you forgot to mention Space Invaders

Seriously though I am growing tired of that damn excuse. And the Judge didn't believe too that the kid planned this out. Like it was a continuation of his game. The kid told his mom and dad to close their eyes and he will give them a surprise. Then, BOOM! Shot in the face. BOOM! Shoots his mother and then places the gun in his dad's hand and say's "here's your gun" and leaves.
Yeah he didn't plan it. It just happened. My ass.

OK, end of rant

I just grow tired of the stupidity in this world. You have this and old people driving that really tick me off

Our honor defend, we will fight to the end, for OHIO! GO BUCKS!
Legend
Legend
There was violence before video games. So do we blame TV?
There was violence before TV. So do we blame movies?
There was violence before movies. So do we blame books?
There was violence before books. So do we blame...humans?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

There was violence before video games. So do we blame TV?
There was violence before TV. So do we blame movies?
There was violence before movies. So do we blame books?
There was violence before books. So do we blame...humans?

No, that doesn't make sense...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not that it really matters, but was this kid 17 in October of 2007, at the time of the shootings, or is he 17 now? I read it as now.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
The world is just lucky I couldn't find a real live pterodactyl to fly around on or it would have been in BAAAAAAD shape.

yebat' Putin
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Wow is all I can say. And I mean that in the saddest capacity possible.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
J
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J

T
1st String
1st String
T
U know, I've about had it with people making excuses for not being responsible for their actions. That lame-brained lawyer this punk has should be disbarred for making such an embarrassing, ridiculous & insulting statement, IMO. He sounds like a fool! Oh, and why in the hell should my tax dollars be spent housing and feeding this jackass? Like someone else said, he's 17, not 7. There is no way in the world U'll convince me that he didn't realize that his parents would be dead forever (apparently the jury didn't buy it either) This really makes me sick. In my view, this is clearly a case where they need to strap him down, tell him to close his eyes for a surprise and, using a Halo 3 controller, TURN UP THE DAMN JUICE!

[color:"green"] Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.[/color]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
This kids actions are despicable and idiotic.

But I think that the parents decision to lock up a freaking video game like it was some kind of force of unparalleled corruption was pretty stupid as well.

Your kid is 16, 17 years old----and he isn't allowed to play Halo---give me a break.

For whatever reason, I kind of feel that the parents actions led this kid to do this. Like they treated him as though this game was going to cause him to do awful things----and sure enough, he shoots them both, and in a sick way----he lives up to their expectations.

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think this is possibly one of the most sickening things I've ever heard, but I wouldn't fault the lawyer since he would be reprimanded if he didn't zealously represent his client.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Steeler
Steeler
Quote:

But I think that the parents decision to lock up a freaking video game like it was some kind of force of unparalleled corruption was pretty stupid as well.

Your kid is 16, 17 years old----and he isn't allowed to play Halo---give me a break.

For whatever reason, I kind of feel that the parents actions led this kid to do this. Like they treated him as though this game was going to cause him to do awful things----and sure enough, he shoots them both, and in a sick way----he lives up to their expectations.

So you think it's wrong for a parent to take a video game away from a child? Oh please. Maybe this kid was playing the game 24/7 and neglecting his schoolwork.

That kid was sick in the head with or without the video game. He was going to commit some act of violence at some point in his life regardless.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's discipline. It doesn't say WHY they had it locked up. Maybe it was a temporary punishment for a lousy report card or missing curfew....

Quote:

For whatever reason, I kind of feel that the parents actions led this kid to do this.

Because they took his widdle video game? Welcome to the next generation...

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anyone who argues that taking away the video game and his obsession with the video game caused this kid to do it is an idiot.

It's a freakin video game

As people have said, obviously the boy had some major issues, unrelated to the video game. It's the same with those Columbine kids and how people said that it had to do with video games. People are either nuts or they aren't, a video game doesn't change that.

Now his parents taking away the videogame might have driven him to do it, but that's obviously no excuse at all. Kid was a nut case, losing Halo 3 must have sent'm over the edge, but it doesn't change anything.

I agree with everyone, people need to be held accountable for their actions........ And this is the case with many things, obsesity, violence, drugs and alcohol, etc.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's the same with those Columbine kids and how people said that it had to do with video games.

I thought that was the Marilyn Manson music?

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I thought that was the Marilyn Manson music?

Eh, probably that too, but from what I recall, Duke Nukem and/or Doom had something to do with it.

I remember back in the days of Sega Genesis playing Mortal Kombat with the "Blood Code" when I was a kid. Man, that caused a lot of controversy.

But that's exactly it, it's not Marilyn Manson's fault or the video games or the news or tv shows, it's the fact that the kid's a nut. Now it might be the parent's fault because they didn't raise him right............. But you get the point

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
M
1st String
1st String
M
To qoute Todd Snider: "Cuz they know if you're doing the pointing, nobody's looking at you"

T
1st String
1st String
T
Quote:

Quote:

It's discipline. It doesn't say WHY they had it locked up. Maybe it was a temporary punishment for a lousy report card or missing curfew....

Quote:

For whatever reason, I kind of feel that the parents actions led this kid to do this.

Because they took his widdle video game? Welcome to the next generation...

Exactly!

[color:"green"] Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.[/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's the same with those Columbine kids and how people said that it had to do with video games. People are either nuts or they aren't, a video game doesn't change that.

apparently, someone else agrees with you, Pete:

check it out...

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Ohio teen kills mom, shoots dad over video game

Link Copied to Clipboard