Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#345909 01/17/09 03:00 PM
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
A number of people have suggested over the last couple of years that there should be a way for you all to directly support this site, and I've resisted this as best and as long as I could in the hopes that simpler and less direct things such as the Ads could completely support this site. However, things haven't been working out as hoped, so I now ask this:

What do all of you think about having subscriptions to the site?

What I think would be best is that if you don't subscribe, then the forums would essentially remain as they are, Ads and all. Pretty much nothing changes.
However, a subscriber would get to see the site Ad-Free like the good ole days, and perhaps there would be a few other perks as well.

So, let me hear your opinions!

Would you make use of a reasonably priced subscription to this site?
single choice
I'm undecided... it would probably depend on what the amount is and what I get for it. (41%, 82 Votes)
Yes, I think I definitely would. (15%, 29 Votes)
No, I probably wouldn't. (44%, 87 Votes)
Total Votes: 198
Voting on this poll ends: 01/24/09 07:00 PM
What do you feel would be a reasonable amount?
single choice
$5 month, or $50 year (3%, 6 Votes)
$2.50 month, or $25 year (8%, 15 Votes)
$2 month, or $20 year (25%, 47 Votes)
$1 month, or $10 year (33%, 62 Votes)
None of the above. (32%, 60 Votes)
Total Votes: 190
Voting on this poll ends: 01/24/09 07:00 PM
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
I guess my question would be Are you needing more money or do the ads keep things going the way it is? Myself I don't mind the ads but having some perks would be kinda cool.

Legend
Legend
I said undecided, but I think $50 a year is a great deal for as much as I use this site (this is the only one I use for news about the Browns as well as the Tribe).

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Undecided and the $10 option.

Legend
Legend
The ads dont bother me and I dont really use this website unless its on gameday. However the "perks" sound interesting. So im undecided

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/k My question is...is this a scam? and if so can I get in on the action? Im like 79 this is about the only site I come to for all my Cleveland sport's, And would have no problem with $50 or $100 a year.I know time's are tough for many of the people in this great nation, But for the few of us that could afford it...How much and how many would be needed to keep it running? would a hand full be able to help out? There by helping all?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am just curious, but how much roughly is it (on average) to keep a website like this running? (ballpark) I am just curious b/c I don't have a clue outside of some prices I have seen for hosting, but I am also curious on the other expenses that come up.

For me personally, I am on the fence on this one only b/c I can find news about the Browns free everywhere on the Internet. It's the friends I have made here as the reason I try to come here everyday. I know too that this site was made b/c we all didn't like the way the old DT left us and Purp is not the Browns with Browns type of money, so $10 a year isn't going to break my bank. I just feel bad if running this site is setting you back a lot in anyway. I would just hate to lose anyone b/c they don't want to pay or something. I helped out back when we first started via paypal b/c I do like it here that much.

Perks are the only real good way. I personally have become used to the ad's and try to click on them when I can to help, but honestly I don't even notice them anymore. If they are working but not enough, maybe have a small ad every 5th message in a thread, or throw a few up when you send a PM, or something like that. Obviously ad's all over the place is unsightly and annoying, plus in my case if I see a website with ad's all over the place more than content I just don't go there.

Our honor defend, we will fight to the end, for OHIO! GO BUCKS!
B
Legend
Legend
B
If everybody clicks a few ads a day, it wouldn't be a problem.

I have to admit my click totals have dropped in the last few weeks, but I have made it a point to just click ads for 2-3 minutes a day....how hard is that??

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I wouldn't mind paying a subscription, though the ads don't bother me in the least...they're not pop-ups. I checked the 2.50/month option because it was right in the center.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I chose undecided and the $20/year options. I don't know if I would make use of subscription benefits since I don't know what they are yet. And, my subscription donations could change based on the cost needs to run this site.

I wonder how it would turn out if you let us donate whatever amount we felt we could instead of set amounts. If someone can only afford $2.00, but someone else wants to contribute $100.00, shouldn't that be allowable? And, if you would go that route, I think it should be a rule that we don't discuss publicly our donations so people don't feel inferior or superior based on amounts.

I've seen a forum where there was a box with the current amount needed to pay the bill under the donation link for a given period (could have been month, quarter or even year -- not sure how you're billed). Any monies received over the amount needed where put toward the next. Worked well and everyone knew exactly what their money was being used for. You also lost your "donating member" status each period, which was good to keep you on your toes. Now I just wish I could remember what site that was.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
All Pro
All Pro
Im more than willing to chip in, Ive spent loads of time on here, I would like to say however that there are probably other more effective ways to raise funds.

For example, members could donate memorabilia and/or tickets to upcoming games... then these items could be bid on by members with proceeds going to Dawgtalk and purp.

Maybe create a fundraising forum for a month once or twice a year, where things can be posted.

[Linked Image]

When it gets cold and snows and the wind blows, you gotta be able to run the ball. - TR
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If everybody clicks a few ads a day, it wouldn't be a problem.

....how hard is that??

It's not that it's hard, it's just something else to have to do. I would rather donate once in a while instead of clicking 30 ads every day. To each their own, I guess.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
Whatever you need Purp...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
As i said on the other thread, i've completely taken the site for granted and forgotten to click on ad's for months now.
I'm a member of another unrelated message board which is free that offers a "support member" service (optional) where people can support the site for a fee of $10Aus a year. for that they get entered in a monthly prize draw, can use personal avatars and will get a banner next to their username showing that they are a support member. They also have access to a members only forum....people hate being excluded from stuff like that

At the end of the day, this site is the best one out there so it's probably worth "something" to us. Fees being compulsory would probably kill it dead but in the context of how this site came about in the beginning when Purp threw us all a life-line and rescued us from purgatory, i think the least we can do is support him in this. JMO

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wouldnt mind putting some money in the kitty to help out. I would like it to be on a volunteer basis though. I dont like the exclusive content thing. I think it would turn this site into a OBR. I think the simple thing to do would be setup a Pay Pal account and put a link to it on the main page. That way those that can afford to, can give more if they so choose. I would hate to see someone who is a long time poster shut out of parts of the board because they cant afford to give money.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I will think about it and am undecided at this time, the one thing that would concern me is that if you pay to use this site the rules would have to change and so would suspensions and banishments, so letting users pay in the long run will give this website more flexibility and thats fine to me if thats the route that is decided I can understand it, but without knowing the finances, I can't really determine if this is needed, but thats me.

I'll vote when I feel I can. Good thought!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No site should give special rules to those that donate -- and none I currently donate to do. You donate out of the goodness of your heart, because you like the place and want it to stick around, not to earn special treatment, IMO.

I don't think anything should change. No special content, no special rules. It would just be nice to be able to help a guy out because you want to.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree with you, I am worried that some might think they would recieve special privilages since they donate, I am good either way really, am just worried about the mass reaction.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree......either you need to pay and get the content, or you don't and nothing changes.

So..I choose to click sites.....the hit counts no matter how long you are on....click one 20x in a row....takes a whole 45 seconds.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Fletch, I'm following you, I just don't think anyone is dumb enough to think a donation would save them from doing something wrong and getting a time out.

Ballpeen, I don't think there should be special content for those that donate -- I think you misread me. Maybe no ads, but if the costs are covered, that could be for everyone. Are you sure you can click on one ad 20 times and it counts? And, even if it does, I still would rather donate money so I don't even have to see the ads. Why the aversion to donating?

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
All Pro
All Pro
I am undecided and the $10 option.
I wouldn't mind spending a little bit of money. I like this site and I don't really pay attention to the ads. They don't annoy me. I don't see what kind of perks would get my interest though. I am satisfied with the content of this site as it is.

How in the world can you fix something...
If you don't know how it's supposed to work?
Legend
Legend
j/c,...I have never once clicked any ad on this site. Am I doing something wrong ??

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c,...I have never once clicked any ad on this site. Am I doing something wrong ??

I've never clicked an ad either, I don't need to know Obama'a real age.......

I would click if it helped the site. I'm cheap and probably would not pay for it, but I do like my fellow Dawgtalkers. Hope I didn't offend anyone........

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

No, you're just not supporting the site.

O
Legend
Legend
O
In the other thread about ad banners, I explain why clicking or encouraging clicks does not help. But the income from these ads is actually based on the number of impressions (or at least it should be). So by simply viewing the ads you are contributing. See my other post for details.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not sure how it works, does clicking the ad help pay for the site?

If that is all I need to do than I'm sorry because I never do it.

I like the donation thing. Have a link to click and if you can afford to donate do it. I think anything would help. With as many members we now have, if everyone just gave a couple bucks every now and then I believe it could help.

Even if we do have a way to donate, keep the ads the way they are. They are not bothersome at all IMO, and if clicking on them helps, I will do so very often and hope others do too.

Having special perks for donators is a no-no in my opinion. Then you have a site that excludes people from the dicussion. I like this site because everyone has a equal chance to express theirselves, and everyone is able to get the info on equals terms.

This be said, I would like to thank Purp again for saving us from the official site and giving us the best Browns site available.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I've seen a forum where there was a box with the current amount needed to pay the bill under the donation link for a given period (could have been month, quarter or even year -- not sure how you're billed). Any monies received over the amount needed where put toward the next.

I really like this idea.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I actually sell banner ads as well as PPC ads for a living. You are absolutely correct in saying the ads are based upon the impressions not the clicks.

Clicks mean nothing and do not bring in extra income.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Purp
I know of a program that will help out and bring in localized ads from where the individual person is viewing and It should help generate a lil better income for the site. It doesn't cost the site anything all you have to do is register.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Why the aversion to donating?

If I get kicked off the board, I don't want to have paid for it in advance.

J/K

No aversion at all

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sounds like the site gets some money for clicking on the ads? I didn't realize that. Why don't you put on some kind of reminder for us. Or make it mandatory that you need to click on an ad to log-in or somethinglike that?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I just don't think anyone is dumb enough to think a donation would save them from doing something wrong and getting a time out."

I disagree,having watched my father interact with the church in my youth,I believe any donation I make should absolve me of any sins.
That and acoupla of Hail Purples,should keep me in his good graces.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No the site doesn't get money by us clicking on ads

D
Legend
Legend
D
Maybe some combination of ads along with a minimal annual membership fee would be the way to go. I clicked the $25 per year amount in the poll, although I would probably pay the $50. If you do go with a membership fee, I hope you'll have a Paypal option.

Dave #345943 01/18/09 11:19 AM
Legend
Legend
j/c,...I'm thinking if I click on these ads, I'll get unwanted and unwarranted spam in my e-mail accounts,....I'm probably wrong, but you can't tell me that technology isn't there.

Legend
Legend
Clicking an ad won't provide anyone your email address.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
At 2.50 a month, I don't think any rules have to change. The rules are pretty simple, and if a mod makes it a point to calm down about something, i say fair enough.

May be I just don't post enough to get into these altercations..........

But yeah, 2.50 a month seems fair to me.

This is one of the best message board sites. And I like the rules, they keep people in check who are trolls or think that they are suddenly gods gift to dawgtalkers.net

But, I don't agree with donating, unless that means donating without hoping for any special privilages. I just feel like someone donating 100 dollars or something will be pissed if they get suspended from the board or whatever

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 01/18/09 12:50 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

But, I don't agree with donating, unless that means donating without hoping for any special privilages. I just feel like someone donating 100 dollars or something will be pissed if they get suspended from the board or whatever

So, you would rather it be a subscription site? I'm against that unless the donations don't work. And, again I'll say, donating should not grant you any special treatment. People should still have to follow the rules, period. If I donate $100, and then lose my mind and violate the rules, that's my tough luck.

As a matter of fact, there should be a disclaimer box you have to check when you donate that you agree to abide by the rules and will not cry when you don't and are punished. If people don't like it, they don't have to donate. There, problem solved.

Purp, I'll quit junking up this thread with my posts, I'm just a bit sensitive about this as I think you should have done it long ago.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
R
Administrator
Administrator
R
You're not junking up the thread. Feedback is what is desired, and the more the better.

My thoughts on donating vs subscription is they are essentially the same thing. I see it as donating (in example) 20 bucks a year for a subscription to a site with no ads.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'm all 4 having to pay. 25.00 a year is fair enough. I'd pay 50.00 if I had to. I love this site. Having to pay would only weed out the trolls and make it better.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus Site Subscriptions

Link Copied to Clipboard