Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Oh.... well, I forgot my meds today......

Yeah, sometimes it's just better to keep my mouth shut.

Well, like I said in the music thread, I've had the Wedding Singer stuck in my head, where the dude with the funny hair asked Sandler, "Do you like Flock of Seagulls?"

Then I came to this thread and remembered the old lady paying him in meatballs for music lessons.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Quote:

Why don't we all just donate what we feel we can and that's it?

No t-shirts, no "subscriptions", no perks. Just donate what you feel this site is worth to you. My guess is we could cover an entire year within a very short time.

I guess a car wash is out then?

My 2 cents, 10 bucks a year isn't going to break me but does that solve the problem?

Whats with the percentages on the poll? 184.something percent?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I like the T-shirt idea. $10 might only cover the cost of the making though...it would have to be $20 or higher. Any other ideas?

Yeah it was partially an idea, partially a joke. I just threw out the $10 thing ( no, I don't want your goofy mug on it Purp ).

You could probably take any kind of donation, but anything over $20 could get a DT tee. I wouldn't think it'd cost you more than $10-12 for one.

How about those who DON'T donate must wear a GMdawg T-shirt with my mug on it seven days a week

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Great! now ive got that scene from dodgeball stuck in my head

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Great! now ive got that scene from dodgeball stuck in my head

"You had me at blood and se..." meh, you remember the quote.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

This isn't a business, it's a message board.

Actually, if you are charging $ and have overhead costs, it IS a business AND a message board.

Not saying I wouldn't be a "customer", but it is what it is.

[b]USNavyDawg (Ret.)
[Linked Image from i87.photobucket.com]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I agree......either you need to pay and get the content, or you don't and nothing changes.

What "content"? The only thing I can get here that I can't get elsewhere is Coach B's source. Actually, another place has a "News Room" where all Browns articles are posted from everywhere in one forum.

The ONLY reason I would pay ANYTHING to post here is because I know so many posters here. The failiarity. But to think that this site has "so much content"? Hardly.

So I'd say a buck a month or ten dollars a year would be fine. But don't price yourself out of business. There are a core of posters who would pay that. Otherwise? Traffic and membership would decrease. But in reality? I think that's what many here want.

A private social club. Not a message board at all.

JMHO

And the whole idea of "Yes, you paid but you're suspended"? Good luck with that one..................

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
j/c

For what it's worth, here's my opinion:

I would do a combination of donations and subscriptions:

Make donations anonymous. None of the Refs should know who made a donation and who didn't. That way, no one can come back and say "well, that ref is just pissed at me because I never donated, that's why I got the boot" or whatever lame-arsed thing someone could say. To that end, there should not be customer titles or avatars, as those will just identify people that did donate and those that did not. It's no one's business who made a donation to this site.

Frankly, while most of us may say "$10/year is nothing" some people may struggle with that amount. I don't feel that it's any of my business to know who did and did not donate.

If Purp decides to do a subscription site, that should be completely separate from the donation. That is where you can add custom titles, avatars and content. And, if someone that subscribes gets the boot, their subscription ends (if it's a permanent ban). People do have that option in PayPal (I believe) to stop a payment. It will be on the ousted member to stop payment, not on Purp...it's not his fault your dumbarse got the boot!

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
And if someone was so inclined a Dters store could be set up on Cafepress. You can't use copyrighted materials, but there could still be DTer shirts, mugs etc. And it could be set up so Purp gets the money. Cafepress just prints the stuff for their "stores" and pays the stores a portion of the merchandise cost (I think that's how it works).

The quality of some of the stuff there is pretty good, Anna's diaper bag was ordered from that site and I'm pleased with it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Good find BB! I wasn't aware of Cafe Press, I'm sure I'll be making a custom Dawgtalkers.net thong. Ok, maybe not.

Can we adjust the prices on their site to be higher so a bigger portion goes to Purp? I don't think Purp would get enough money on the sale a few T-shirts.....if they were $30 a piece, most of that would be considered a donation. I'd be all for that!

T-shirt ideas:

- "Dawgtalkers.net knows football"
- "If you don't use Dawgtalkers.net, then forget you"
(like Rickey Bobby said in Taladega Nights regarding Big Red gum - I don't think we'd want to use the real F-word though )
- "Got Dawgtalkers.net?"
- "Dawgtalkers.net does a body good"
- "Come see the sea cows on Dawgtalkers.net"
- "Dawgtalkers.net PWNS you"
- "If you're a real fan don't use the main site...use Dawgtalkers.net"
- "I'm a Hall of Famer on Dawgtalkers.net"
- "We don't need a logo for Dawgtalkers.net"
- "I voted no to cheerleaders on Dawgtalkers.net"
- "I spend too much of my day on Dawgtalkers.net"
- "I donated to Dawgtalkers.net"

...assuming we can't use "Browns" or any Browns "logo".

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A T-Shirt with SeaCows huh?....I'd probably buy something like that. Would I pay to be on the message board.....more than most likely

LET'S GO BROWNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Linked Image]
[b]WOOF WOOF[b]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dawg Talkers...The only place to be Shotty

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

NO, yours should say

"Dawg Talkers...shirt and shoes not required, but SOCKS are a must for shotty."

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

NO, yours should say

"Dawg Talkers...shirt and shoes not required, but SOCKS are a must for shotty."

LMAO!!!!!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Actually, if you are charging $ and have overhead costs, it IS a business AND a message board.

Not saying I wouldn't be a "customer", but it is what it is.

Well yes, you are correct.

I was just saying that it makes sense to make it as easy as possible, which is why T-Shirts and things of that nature seems to be silly to me.

He needs his money to pay the costs, let's just find a simple way to give him the money.................

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
And there's a reason why most organizations give away T-shirts, tote bags or offer raffles to get donations. For the most part, people don't like just giving their money away for nothing. Even if it's a stinky T-shirt or a 1% chance at a raffle....it brings in more money than otherwise. Heck, lets sell candy bars!

I'm not a charity expert but I pretend to be in this post.

Ok...set up a PayPal link on the site and we can all send Purp cash on our own. It's probably the easiest option. With that being said, I like the T-shirt idea too. It's fun, you get something for your donation (outside of using the site) and to be honest, I'd like to show off a Dawgtalkers.net T-shirt around Chicago. It screams "Internet Geek" to anyone that looks at me but it also says I support my Browns fans.

Here is more info on Cafe Press:

What CafePress.com does
= Gives you a FREE online shop to promote your products
= Produces each item when ordered using our unique print-on-demand technology
= Handles all payment transactions including major credit cards
= Ships your products worldwide
= Manages all returns/exchanges
= Offers customer service via toll-free phone and email
= Sends you a monthly check for your earnings on sales!

With our Basic Shop, you can start selling for free. And, there are no inventory costs associated with selling products through either a Basic or Premium Shop.

Each item you sell has a base price. You simply markup the base price by the amount you wish to earn for each product you sell. When you sell a product, we keep the base price and you earn the markup.

That last part makes it sound like we can sell items for a premium. So, we would markup a T-shirt to sell for $10 or $20 above the base and the balance goes to Purp. Simple.

I'd be glad to help with design (if needed).

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
DawgMichele - We are brainstorming ideas here. I am sure donations would cover the year quickly then the issue and call for money comes up again next year and the year after that. I don't really like the idea of a subscription but it would be nice to have some kind of steady income for the site. And call me selfish but if I end up with a cool t-shirt or access to insider articles then good for me.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm sure I'll be making a custom Dawgtalkers.net thong.

I'll take a dozen

Legend
Legend
I like the idea of the premium CafePress shop. It adds $5/mo to the overhead, but it offers quite a bit to us... and I've already got a few designs bouncing around in my head. How about a T-shirt that has "IT'S THE OLINE, STUPID!" on the back of it? Or one with the infamous dead horse picture?

As for Donations versus Subscriptions/Membership... I will still be doing that as well, and as for differences - it's all really just semantics, depending upon how it is structured. It's very nearly the same thing.

What I am currently thinking is some form of a merger of the two ideas. Essentially a Donation button where you fill in how much you would like to donate, and then if you donate more than, say... $10-$15 in a 12 month span, then you get some perks as a Thank You (at a minimum, you get the site Ad-Free)... but you're free to donate as much or as little as you choose and the site would remember amounts donated for you, so if you donate $3 today, but in 7 months you donate another $12, then you'd hit the magic number of $15 and have no Ads until that initial $3 was more than 12 months ago, dropping your 12 month amount down to $12. Everyone just does it if/when they feel like it.. or do nothing if they don't feel like it and nothing changes.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure I'll be making a custom Dawgtalkers.net thong.

I'll take a dozen

Oh, there WILL be thongs

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Correction for those of us that refuse to call anyone "stupid" on this board,....can I just get one that says "It's The OLine !!" ??

OR,..."OLine ?...We don't need no stinking Oline !"

Legend
Legend
May I request the thongs have little GM initials on the front

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Oh dear GOD!

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Would you be ok if all genders wore them though?

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Wont fit, too small of a area.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quick comments on the ads. They don't bother me at all. Actually I hardly ever even notice them. So I am all for keeping them when I log in if it makes the site some money.

Maybe instead of making the ads go away completely. When you hit that magic number give the member an option of staying with ads or going ad free.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What would also be cool is if we had the option(for a extra cost of course) of having our screennames put on them. WOuld be cool to be able to wear our Dawg Talkers T shirt W/ name to training camp.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Cool thought... I dunno if their site supports adding text though... but it can't be that hard to do.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
PPE...Not to hurry you, but when does this all need to go down? I know you have put so uch time into this site, and I would just like to get it on with, so as not to think I log on one day and BOOM! gone. just wondering bud.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm going to summarize here.

- Donations will be accepted via pay pal. (I like the idea of having an option on keeping vs. getting rid of the ads. They don't bother me and if it would further help the site, I'd keep them.)
- You can get a few extra things by getting a subscription.
- Dawgtalkers t-shirts (and thongs for GM) will be sold.

I am all for helping this site, and even with my limited income (none) I am willing and eager to contribute.

PPE already does enough just by giving us this site and keeping it running, he doesn't deserve to have to go in the hole for it too. So, lets do everything we can to give this site money. If that means keeping the ads even though you've donated enough to get rid of them, or if it just means giving a dollar here or there is up to you and your budget. All I know is that I'll do everything I can to help. I have a REALLY artistic friend who could make the logo for the shirts. (He does that stuff for fun anyways.)

NOW LETS GO OUT AND WIN THIS GAME!!! (got a little into the pep talk there )

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
j/c

call the white house for a billion dollar bailout out then take all of us on a cruise

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

j/c

call the white house for a billion dollar bailout out then take all of us on a cruise

LMAO! I like

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

j/c

Or better yet. We could buy the Browns.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

And the whole idea of "Yes, you paid but you're suspended"? Good luck with that one..................

I guess I really don't understand this potential problem. You know going in that money can't buy freedom from banning, so what's the big deal? And, really, how many people get banned forever? My guess is a couple a year -- if that.

Quote:

A private social club.

We want to help Purp pay the bills...and always have. It really is that simple.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I like the idea of the premium CafePress shop. It adds $5/mo to the overhead, but it offers quite a bit to us... and I've already got a few designs bouncing around in my head. How about a T-shirt that has "IT'S THE OLINE, STUPID!" on the back of it? Or one with the infamous dead horse picture?

As for Donations versus Subscriptions/Membership... I will still be doing that as well, and as for differences - it's all really just semantics, depending upon how it is structured. It's very nearly the same thing.

What I am currently thinking is some form of a merger of the two ideas. Essentially a Donation button where you fill in how much you would like to donate, and then if you donate more than, say... $10-$15 in a 12 month span, then you get some perks as a Thank You (at a minimum, you get the site Ad-Free)... but you're free to donate as much or as little as you choose and the site would remember amounts donated for you, so if you donate $3 today, but in 7 months you donate another $12, then you'd hit the magic number of $15 and have no Ads until that initial $3 was more than 12 months ago, dropping your 12 month amount down to $12. Everyone just does it if/when they feel like it.. or do nothing if they don't feel like it and nothing changes.

Cafepress is a nice way to create money if people buy your merchandise it.. I have had a store up since 2002... not that it made me a lot.. Keep in mind i'm not a graphic designer and such.. but I was able to get a few sales here and there.. I have pretty much abandoned it for awhile and still get a few sales here and there.. go figure that out.. but the problem is creating designs that do not infringe on any trademarks.. Dawg is trademarked therefore may cause problems.. of coure Browns are as well.. but well BTW do not use "caution" in your designs either.. but well you can find my store in my profile nonetheless and see how you can design the store as well.. Keep in mind It's missing a few graphics that I had hosted but don't anymore..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Quote:

Sounds like the site gets some money for clicking on the ads?

thats exactly how some other BROWNS boards are maintained..so my answer to this would be NO nadda not a dime,thanks for asking

Legend
Legend
Quote:

...but the problem is creating designs that do not infringe on any trademarks.. Dawg is trademarked therefore may cause problems.. of coure Browns are as well.. but well BTW do not use "caution" in your designs either.....

So wait, we can't use the word "dawg"? If so, that would mean we can't use the site name.........are we then stuck just making up our own phrases like "It's the O-line stupid".

I figured we couldn't use "Browns", the helmet, the "B", the dog or the elf.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dawg maybe trademarked but I don't think that would prohibit the use of dawgtalkers. It isn't the same. If it was I would go out and trademark the letter "S". Then anytime somebody wanted to print anything using the letter "S" I would get paid.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Dawg maybe trademarked but I don't think that would prohibit the use of dawgtalkers. It isn't the same. If it was I would go out and trademark the letter "S". Then anytime somebody wanted to print anything using the letter "S" I would get paid.

Cafepress can be proactive when it comes to trademarks... they tend to take designs off if someone complains... one of the reasons you cant use "caution" on your designs.. some idiot claims any use of the word "caution" in designs of his trademark..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Would you be ok if all genders wore them though?

Sure no problem

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus Site Subscriptions

Link Copied to Clipboard