Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#347037 01/20/09 09:03 PM
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Anybody catch this guy.....real healing my ass.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/religion/post/2009/01/61651854/1

Quote:

....help us work for that day when black will not be asked to give back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right."

When white will embrace what is right???

Screw him.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I did not click the link,...but you gotta be kidding me ??

Unity,...here it comes.

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Rev. Joseph Lowery's impassioned benediction
12:48 PM

+ Yahoo! Buzz
o Share
DiggNewsvineRedditFacebook
* Save
* Print

131 Comments

126 Recommend

Loweryxblog200God of our weary years,
God of our silent tears...

Barack Obama's inaugural speech was book-ended by two expressions of evangelical faith. First came Rev. Rick Warren's invocation, including mentions of God, Jesus and an allusion to Allah, called by Muslims as "compassionate and merciful."

After Obama's inspirational speech, the Rev. Joseph Lowery, a civil rights icon and a pastor known to speak his mind to power, opened his benediction with the first words of the Negro National Anthem, Lift Every Voice and Sing,

God of our weary years,
God of our silent tears...

Lowery implored God to help Americans make "choices on the side of love, not hate, on the side of inclusion not exclusion, tolerance not intolerance."

He updated the famous passages from Isaiah, suggesting humanity "beat tanks into tractors." He called for a time, quoting Micah 4:4, when every man shall sit beneath his vine and fig tree and live in peace and unafraid, Amos 5:24 , "let justice will roll down like waters."

Lowery also brought a smile to the president with a recitation he's used before, asking God to

....help us work for that day when black will not be asked to give back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right."

He concluded,

Let all who do justice and love mercy say amen and say amen.

Photo by Ron Edmonds/AP: The Rev. Joseph E. Lowery gives the benediction at the end of the swearing-in ceremony at the U.S. Capitol in Washington

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
So? It's a little rhyme....i don't see the offense.

And at least historically, there have been many times that white americans didn't embrace the right ideals, so it's not that it's a statement without any merit.

~Lyuokdea

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 01/20/09 09:23 PM.

~Lyuokdea
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Right.....a little rhyme.

Here is a rhyme.

Roses are red
Violets are blue

I think you're crazy
so...

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Historically, EVERY race has not embraced what is right at some point

That is anything but a message of unity IMO. A message of unity would leave race out of the equation.

I agree with Peen - screw him. That is an idiotic message to convey at this great time of hope and unity

#gmstrong
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
This guy was dead on with what he said. As a white guy, I had NO problems with his comments, he was making a literary statement, call it creative licensing, but he wasn't being literal.

He ran with MLK and the REAL civil rights advancement...not the self-deprecating lot of JJackson and Al Sharpton. He's seen Whitey not do what was right in the form of firehoses, hangings, fires, etc. He has a right to say things in the way he choses, not in a freedom of speech way but in the same way an inmate convicted for a crime that he didn't commit has a right to speak against the system that convicted him.

Relax. Actually it was pretty funny. I wouldn't have chosen those exact words but he had to rhyme with white, so in following the flow of his speech would have rather him said:
white has seen the light
white has felt our bite
white will fly a kite
white will feel our fight (or might)
white goes away in the night
sight
tight
etc????

We have to stop being so friggin sensitive. His comments, Obama or the CJustice messing up the oath, etc should be the last thing on our minds in light of today's events. Now it is no longer about injustice, it is no longer about our civil war, it is no longer about 'holding the man down'. Hopefully, our country can move forward to realize that it isn't about color but what's right and wrong for our country as a country and it's citizens as individuals.

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Quote:

We have to stop being so friggin sensitive

We do???

LOL

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

should be the last thing on our minds in light of today's events

While I agree 100% it leaves a sour taste in my mouth that all of the pundits that murdered Bush over every little thing now say, hey relax it's unity man!

#gmstrong
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Or the people chanting Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey when President Bush was introduced???

Classless.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You've had a burr up your ass about Obama for the last 2-3 days.

Did you just figure out he won the election?

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Legend
Legend
No truer words spoken, what ticket are you on so I can vote it,....??

Thought so,....you didn't run.

This election was no different than any other; it was about the fence riders jumping to one side or the other. And the outcome/future is not going to be any different either.

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Quote:

You've had a burr up your ass about Obama for the last 2-3 days.

Did you just figure out he won the election?

I know he won....I wish him well.....don't insult me, friend or not.

These comments are offensive to me and I really expect a apology. I am white and have embraced what is right for many, many years.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
This is exactly what I despise about The Board,...

"I won, so your opinion is dogdooo,..."

Must be why I hang around,....

It ain't about winning folks,...it's about competing.

Winning ONLY counts in combat,...'Peen, am I not right about that ??

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
I hate losing at checkers and on the football field....but I know what you are saying.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You've been posting smartass comments about Obama here and there for the last couple of days. Most of which seem pretty petty. I took them as political in nature. If you feel insulted that was not my intent. And no where did I imply that any of it was racial in nature. Nor did I think that.

That you immediately took it that way now makes me wonder.........

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Legend
Legend
Maybe someone should let him know that more white people voted for Obama than black people ........

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Maybe someone should let him know that more white people voted for Obama than black people ........

Zzzzzzing! We have a winner!

Legend
Legend
Because the media made them believe they didn't have a choice. Bottom line. Barack did not win this election, it was handed to him.

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
LOL

My record on those issues is well documented in the places that count...think what you want.

We can take this up in a private nature in the morning if you wish.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Link please.......

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Link please.......

My point is,...as has been EVERY election since the advent of television,....

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
think what you want.

Thanks....I will.

We can take this up in a private nature in the morning if you wish.

Sorry, I'm not retired, I'll be working. And I really don't see what there is to discuss. You took a several shots at a guy who hasn't even been President for 12 hours yet.

I took a small shot at you. Very small. You took it as some kind of racial "thing" which it was in no way meant to be.

Now, somehow, I'm questioning your integrity? Your skin must be so thin as to be nearly translucent.

Sheesh........you Republicans really need to learn how to lose gracefully......

J
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J
Quote:

Well with more white people in our nation that's not a huge fact. But let's look at the percentages to be fair.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#USP00p1

Whites 43% voted Obama
African-Americans 95% voted Obama

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

you Republicans really need to learn how to lose gracefully.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

I think the Republicans DID lose rather gracefully. The Obama backers didn't even WIN gracefully when they booed and jeered Bush as he left. Obama himself won with class, and said very nice things about Bush in his speech; his supporters on the other hand....

I really hope that was meant to have the smirk smiley face after it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Well with more white people in our nation that's not a huge fact. But let's look at the percentages to be fair.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#USP00p1

Whites 43% voted Obama
African-Americans 95% voted Obama

Not huge,...?? What percentage of non-ethnic voters does the makeup look like,...asking, not rebuffing,....!!

I.E. Is it any wonder more "whites" voted for Obama ?? Are ther NOT more white voters in the country??

No wonder everyone "hates' math,...

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Sorry my friend....I started a thread about the Chief of Staff and the guy who administered the Benediction.

Get it right Otto....I can debate and hold a position...I don't think I have mentioned President Obama's name in this thread until just now.

You're the one talking racial crap.

Get over it on that front.....you are as far from the truth as can be...

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
There was no grace from any Republicans until John McCain's concession speech. Period. And not much since. And certainly no grace in the initial post in this thread or the Chief of Staff thread.

I just think that you boys needed to wait at least 12 hours before you started posting the same kind of daily crap that was posted on here when Clinton was in office.

I stated as much and was then accused of calling someone a racist. Read back and show me where I even came close to mentioning race. The race card was played by Peen, not me. Trust me if I thought he was a racist I'd say so.

Kettle that.......

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Dude, you played the race card. Not me. Read back. You brought it up not me.

I figured that the reason you were posting all this crap was because you're a Republican and a bit of a sore loser.

Now I'm sure of it.

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Quote:

The race card was played by Peen

What???

Remind me to slap you in the back of the head when we meet up the next time.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

We have to stop being so friggin sensitive.

Now that's funny. The left is where the whole politically correct movement started. Now you want to tell peop[le on the right to be more sensitive.

I heard it live and it struck me as odd. I really didn't think anymore about it. The thing is, we just swore in our first non white president. The fact that the population of this country is only about 12% black speaks volumes to me. His little rhyme may have been in good fun. He may not have thought anything about it. I just think it would have been smarter not to throw out any racial comments at this time.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
I did read back...now you won't have to remind me to slap you in the back of the head.

You owe me a beer!

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I just think that you boys needed to wait at least 12 hours before you started posting the same kind of daily crap that was posted on here when Clinton was in office.

And what about the crap that was posted on here for the past 8 years about Bush. MUCH worse than anything that has been stated in any thread started about Obama today.

All of my friends who didn't vote for Obama (not just Republicans, mind you) are willing to give him a chance. As am I; as I and many others who did not vote for him have stated - "I hope he is the best president this country has ever seen". I really do hope that to be the case, and I will stand behind him until he does something to change that.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
President Obama supporters booed president Bush today....how classy was that???

Sorry...that is simple minded....

Classless really.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
There was no grace from any Republicans until John McCain's concession speech. Period. And not much since. And certainly no grace in the initial post in this thread or the Chief of Staff thread.

As usual you are full of crap. I have seen Republican after Republican (including Govenor Palin yesterday) say good things about Obama and talk about how they want towork with him. What do you expect us to do? Roll over and agree to his policies even if we think they're wrong?

. I know that ever since the election I have been nothing but positive about the man and I'm not alone on here. I think that his choices of people around him show that he wants to at least hear vices from the center of the country.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

That guy owes an apology to every person who HAS embraced what is right...who HAS raised their children to do what is right. Only white needs to embrace right? Wow.

His words were ridiculous and he should be hammered for them...period.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Bite me........

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Or the people chanting Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey when President Bush was introduced???

Classless.

Not nearly as classless as the administration with his name on it.

For all the innocent kids that man's foolish policies killed, he's lucky he lives in a country where simple-minded thugs are peacefully ushered out with 70's soul songs and not tarred and feathered.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

No truer words spoken, what ticket are you on so I can vote it,....??

Thought so,....you didn't run.

This election was no different than any other; it was about the fence riders jumping to one side or the other. And the outcome/future is not going to be any different either.

I tend to agree with you that a lot won't change. But it excites me that people are watching elections and inaugurations. It excites me that more people voted and young people got more involved in this election.

But see there are MANY who can't ride a fence on this one. If he doesn't change things, they don't have a Bush family member to blame it on.

And you have to admit that the Right was ignored in some of McCain and Bush's policies...run Regan against Obama and let's see who wins. But McCain wasn't a match for a younger, more educated and eloquent man who could preach change just on the mere fact of the color of his skin was a visual proof.

People are more involved and I believe in momentum. Bush made some hard decisions, some right, some wrong. We have up's and down's in our country and economy...Obama comes in when things are down and has a chance to be a figure head, a motivational speaker if you will, to lift up the hopes of our country to see better days. The economy will rebound, not from his or anyone else's policies but rather because our economy always goes up and down.

Quote:

(from another poster)
Quote:
We have to stop being so friggin sensitive.

Now that's funny. The left is where the whole politically correct movement started. Now you want to tell peop[le on the right to be more sensitive.

I heard it live and it struck me as odd. I really didn't think anymore about it. The thing is, we just swore in our first non white president. The fact that the population of this country is only about 12% black speaks volumes to me. His little rhyme may have been in good fun. He may not have thought anything about it. I just think it would have been smarter not to throw out any›racial comments at this time.

I agree with you also that it wasn't the wisest thing but it was in the moment, this inauguration, no one can deny, wasn't just about Obama's politics but rather his race.

Yes, the left takes the PC-card too far and the right gets sick of it...let's not be the pot calling the kettle black (or white in this scenario) and get our panties in a wad about something that is beyond inconsequential. The man speaking saw a day and fought through days of not being able to sit where white people sat, eat, drink, ride, educate, etc. He can poke fun a bit in my book and my Republican blood doesn't get warm in the slightest.

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
All Pro
All Pro
When you suck you get booed.
Second, when somebody makes stupid comments like that pastor, you just ignore him.
Why keep it in the news and keep talking about it.
This will just keep the racism ball rolling.

How in the world can you fix something...
If you don't know how it's supposed to work?
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Inaugural Benediction.

Link Copied to Clipboard