Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jester Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Not one of Adam Caplin's better written articles but still an interesting read and should get a good debate going

Free Agent QBs: Where Will They End Up?

By Adam Caplan
Senior NFL Reporter
Posted Jan 30, 2009

Scout.com's NFL insider is taking a look at where the top free agent quarterbacks will be playing in 2009. We're also taking a look at other top signal callers who are still under contract, but could be moved in a trade because of issues with their contracts.

1) Kurt Warner/Arizona Cardinals

Possible Suitors: Arizona Cardinals, Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings

It would seem like there's no way that Arizona wouldn't want to re-sign Warner based on the fact they've made it to the Super Bowl with him behind center. And once you look at his statistics, it's even harder to imagine him not in a Cardinal uniform next season. But league sources indicate that both sides are way off on agreeing to a deal, so it's not out of the question that the team uses their franchise tag on the 37-year old gunslinger. While the franchise tag carries a price tag of over $14 million, Arizona can probably afford it since they have over $40 million of available cap space as of late this week.

Chicago QB Kyle Orton played quite well before the ankle injury he suffered in a Week 9 game against the Detroit Lions. However, he was never the same after that and may have come back from the injury too soon. Since it appears he won't be getting a lucrative extension any time soon, the team could look for a short-term upgrade like Warner since they're not that far off from being a solid playoff contender.

Minnesota still is trying to figure out who their starting quarterback will be next season. While Kurt Warner doesn't have a lot of experience playing in the West Coast offense, the veteran signal caller is probably is smart enough to pick that scheme up. And if the team is desperate for a short-term upgrade for the next few seasons, it's not out of the question that they at least consider Warner. However, a league source said Minnesota had about $18 million in projected salary cap space available for 2009 and they have various needs on both sides of the ball.

Most Likely Destination: Arizona Cardinals. They simply have no choice here. League sources don't believe they have any confidence in Matt Leinart to come in and bring any stability to the position. And keep in mind this coaching staff wasn't there when Leinart was drafted.

2) Donovan McNabb/Philadelphia Eagles

Possible Suitors: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

McNabb hails from the Chicago area and at 32 (turns 33 in November), still probably has at least two to four solid years left in him. When is the last time Chicago seemed to have their quarterback position solved?

Detroit, like Chicago, hasn't had stability at the quarterback position for some time and McNabb could bring them a solid starting option for a while longer. But they may opt to select a quarterback with their first-round pick who will come in and play right away.

It's not a secret that Minnesota head coach Brad Childress and McNabb talk to each other still via the phone every so often. Minnesota runs the same West Coast scheme so McNabb could come in and play right away without a stiff learning curve.

According to a veteran salary cap consultant, McNabb's cap number for 2009 is around $10.4 million, but the proration on his deal ends after 2009. If they decided to release him (won't happen) or trade him, they would actually save a little over $8 million in salary cap space--not that they need it. Another league source told Scout.com that Philadelphia has at least $31 million in salary cap space available for 2009 and possibly more. Apparently, there are two players that had bonus money tied up in their contracts (possibly likely to be earned incentives that weren't met) totaling around $16-$17 million that could be added to that robust cap space availability (it's not known if the $31 million number already includes the $16-$17 cap credits carried over from last season).

McNabb's contract also has a 35 percent playing time in any season clause that will enable him to void the final three years of the deal. So he's able to opt out after the 2010 season (his deal expires after 2013).

Taking in to account the information listed above, we can certainly see why McNabb wants to meet with Philadelphia's management soon. And with all this, they have former second-round pick Kevin Kolb who enters 2009 on the third year of his four-year deal.

Finally, looking at Tampa Bay, they simply have no direction at the quarterback position and McNabb could start for a while until a younger signal caller is groomed to take over.

Most Likely Destination: Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Tampa Bay

In the end, Philadelphia will either trade him or will wind up adjusting his contract in a way that's fair to both sides.

3) Matt Cassel/New England Patriots

Possible Suitors: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Kansas City Chiefs, Minnesota Vikings, New England Patriots, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Chicago simply hasn't been able to secure the quarterback position in many years and a solid player like Cassel, who offers plenty of upside and youth, could fit in well. The problem is they haven't invested much in the position and may not want to pay what it takes financially to get him.

As for Detroit, they must figure out who the future is at the quarterback position and it seems that former second-round pick, Drew Stanton, isn't it. So a player like Cassel, who is coming off of a big season, could be the starter there for years to come.

As for Kansas City, there's another team that has to make a decision on their future at quarterback. That position could be solved if new head czar Scott Pioli decides to acquire Cassel--a player who he knows quite well.

Minnesota simply needs to settle on one quarterback and let that guy do his thing. By bringing in Cassel, who is coming off of a great season, there would be no more mystery or uncertainty.

New England has a tough choice to make. If they place their franchise tag on Cassel, it will cost them $14.651 million in guaranteed base salary for 2009 (once a player signs the franchise tender, the money us guaranteed). And if Cassel is brought back under the franchise tag, they would be tying up about $29.28 million in salary cap space with two quarterbacks (Tom Brady being the other player and who carries a $14.63 million cap number).

Most Likely Destination: Either Cassel has the franchise tag placed on him or New England will trade him to Chicago, Detroit, Kansas City, Minnesota, or Tampa Bay.

4) Derek Anderson/Cleveland Browns

Possible Suitors: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Kansas City Chiefs, Minnesota Vikings, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

As Scout.com first reported several months ago, Anderson has a $5 million roster bonus due in mid-March and based on his play in 2008, look for the team to trade Anderson before it's due. Anderson has a salary cap value of almost $9 million for 2009, which is way too much cap space to tie up on a quarterback who is projected to be a backup.

Chicago makes some sense based on the vertical passing game that they'd like to develop.

Detroit still has veteran Jon Kitna under contract for 2009, but he turns 37 this September and clearly isn't the future at the quarterback position for the team. A league source indicates that he's also due a $500,000 roster bonus soon. And another veteran who appears on the downside of his career, Daunte Culpepper, carries a $5 million cap number (includes a $2.5 million roster bonus).

Kansas City has a huge decision coming up. Do they go with a quarterback with their first-round pick or do they look for a veteran with a stronger arm than Tyler Thigpen to take over the job?

It's not a secret that Minnesota, more like head coach Brad Childress, is still not totally sold on Tarvaris Jackson. If Childress was content with Jackson as his starter, he could have made that clear--that hasn't happened. So Anderson could be the veteran that they chose to bring in to upgrade the position. However, whether he can play in a West Coast system remains to be seen.

Tampa Bay clearly has no idea who the their future at quarterback is and they only have veteran Brian Griese and Josh Johnson under contract. But as noted above, Anderson hasn't played in the West Coast offense at the pro level yet and new offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski has a strong background in that system.

Most Likely Destination: Detroit, Minnesota, or Tampa Bay.

5) Kerry Collins/Tennessee Titans

Possible Suitors: Chicago Bears, Tennessee Titans

Chicago badly needs a capable veteran who could push Kyle Orton for the starting job and Collins, if he doesn't reach an agreement to re-sign with the Titans, could be that player.

Offensive coordinator Ron Turner prefers a deep passing game and Collins still has a very strong arm, so interest here wouldn't be a major surprise.

Most Likely Destination: Tennessee. The coaching staff has wanted him back as the starter for a while and Collins want to keep that job, so look for both sides to reach an agreement prior to the start of free agency.

6) Jeff Garcia/Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Possible Suitors: Minnesota Vikings, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

With head coach Jon Gruden out of Tampa Bay, the team may finally try to develop a quarterback who could start for years to come. So Garcia, who turns 39 later this month, may have to play elsewhere if he wants to continue his career.

Minnesota, a league source told Scout.com, will bring in at least one quarterback for the 2009 season, and possibly two who could challenge Tarvaris Jackson for the starting job. Garcia could be one of their choices since he's played his entire career in the West Coast offense.

Most Likely Destination: Backup, wherever he winds up. Garcia's play dropped off this season and his best role, at this point in his career, is backing up.

http://cle.scout.com/2/834980.html

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I get the point of the article, but DA isn't a free agent...

That said, I'd like to see him go to Chicago.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think the writer pretty much knows that we are going to try and trade DA which is why he was listed. Its no secret that we are going to try and get rid of him. Id much rather try and get him to re-do his deal and make it more cap friendly and keep him as our number 2...but that will never happen. I think that Chicago could be a good fit for him, or maybe even Minnesota as he would have AP to take the pressure off of him.

I like DA and as much as he has made me yell and throw things on sundays I hope he gets another chance to start somewhere and be succesful. I think everyone pretty much knows that "Quinn is in in 2009"

#brownsgoodkarma
Jester Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I get the point of the article, but DA isn't a free agent...

That said, I'd like to see him go to Chicago.

Your right, I didn't even catch that. I don't think McNabb is a FA either now that I think about it. Should have been titled available QB's. Like I said in the original post, not one of Adams better articles. He must have been up agaist a deadline.

Anyway it is another look into potential DA destinations.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think everyone pretty much knows that "Quinn is in in 2009"

We really know nothing about the new powers that be regarding their thoughts on the QB position.

The might prefer one guy or the other ....... might not know yet ..... or might think that neither guy is the right fit.

None of the "Savage-Crennel" thinking and/or edicts apply anymore. Hell, the new guys might decide that Warner or McNabb is the right solution and trade both Quinn and Anderson. Who knows?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Jester Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Your right. We have no idea what the thinking is in Berea with this new regime. Heck we don't know if they have even looked at that situation yet (though I would think that that would be priority one). General consensus is that DA will be gone if we can get decent return. If not he comes back as BQs backup. Then again the general consensus was that NE would beat the Giants in last year's super bowl so we all know how reliable general consensus is.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

For what its worth, the Vikes were interested in Sage Rosenfels last year and tried to trade for him. He has one more year left on his contract, so maybe Houston decides to move him this year while they can still get something for him. Just another name to add to the QB mix and to dilute the supply and demand......

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

General consensus is that DA will be gone if we can get decent return. If not he comes back as BQs backup.

Return? You mean "return on our investment"?

If so, you must remember, we signed him off of the practice squad in Baltimore. We didn't even use a seventh rounder on him.

So what would you consider a "good return" on that investment?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
"Possible Suitors: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Kansas City Chiefs, Minnesota Vikings, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - For DA.

Only two Vikings and Bears do not have a change in HC or GM for us to pin down possibilities. One thing - I here from all the so called Experts The Vikings are the best prospective suitor for DA.

I think thats rather funny considering Childress is a big time WCO guy. And last I looked a ball control Chain moving guy with highly accurate throwing especially in the 10 yard range sure don't describe DA to me. Its probably the worst marriage out there. But I've seen franchises make dumber moves... After all somebody went after Scott Mitchell

I actually see the Panthers as maybe one of the best places for DA to go.

Delhomme has had injury problems in the past and he is not young and hasn't been able to deliver with a very talented team. The Panthers have Davidson as their OC and hired Rip...I believe both were high on DA.

The only problem I see is that they don't have a 1st round pick...so I don't see them looking to trade away many draft picks. Although a veteran team could go a year without a strong draft class.

They however will be Franchise tagging Peppers...to either sign him to a long term contract or hold him for ransom. I'm hoping the later is the case and we use DA for that ransom. If they feel they will eventually lose Peppers we could have a players in the DA movement.

Who Knows??? I see Panthers and Bears as the best options for need and offense they run matching with DA's known skills.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Win or lose tomorrow,, I'm pretty sure Zona will find a way to keep Warner...

I don't think the Eagles let McNabb get away. And after the year he had, I don't think that Cassell gets away from NE either. They may even tag him.

Anderson is a toss up. We have new leadership on the field and in the front office.. I got no clue how they will handle things.... and strickly speaking, he's not a FA... but could be or could also be traded... dunno.

With Collins, I think it depends if they think the high priced guy they have riding the pine is ready to take over.. if they do, Collins is gone. Personally, I'd think it's smarter to sign him. but th at's just me.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Jester Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
No I do not mean decent return on our investment. I mean decent return for what we perceive as his value. And that will be left up to Mangini/Kokinis to decide.

I know we got him for nothing but that doesn't affect his value. Let's say I find a Mickey Mantle Baseball card in good condition in my grandfather's attic. Just because I got it for free doesn't change the cards value. I am not going to sell it to you for $20 just because I didn't spend anything to get it. The card still carries a much higher value.

So we find DA and get him for nothing. That doesn't mean we should trade him and get less than we think we deserve in return. It is irrelevant that we claimed him off the practice squad. The only thing that matters is what we value him as our backup QB (If we value him as a starter then it is BQ whose value as a backup QB that matters and we trade BQ).

As for where I value him? Humm I don't really know. I would definitely trade him for a 1st rounder or better without hesitation. Probably down to a mid 2nd and not have to think about it much. I probably would accept down to a mid 3rd. Anything after that (and probably anything in the 3rd) I would wait until draft day and see exactly who is available and make the trade while the other team is on the clock if there is a player I value enough.

Jester Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
eo - I agree that DA doesn't fit into the WCO well but the situation is good if they modify the O. Strong oline so he can sit in the pocket, strong running game so he isn't the centerpiece of the offense and no big egos in the huddle.

I agree the Panthers may be a great destination for DA. Davidson and Rip were both high on DA and Delhomme stunk up their playoff loss. I disagree though that they will franchise Peppers. Jordan Gross is a FA as well and going nowhere. If they can sign Gross to a long term contract then yes Franchising Peppers becomes an option but if it comes down to a choice between the 2 they will absolutely choose Gross.

And as for Scott Mitchell you need to remember that it was the Lions that signed him

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not sure that Carolina would "Franchise" Peppers. I read somewhere (can't remember if it was on here or not) that Peppers already makes well over the what the Franchise tag is so if Carolina tags him they have to pay 20% more then what he was already being paid and he was already making an ungodly number ( I know it was in the teen millions). I do agree that Carolina or maybe Chicago would be the most likely destinations for DA if he's moved.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

No I do not mean decent return on our investment. I mean decent return for what we perceive as his value. And that will be left up to Mangini/Kokinis to decide.

And, IF they feel BQ is the starter, they must also ask themselves if they wish to pay a five million dollar roster bonus and a four million dollar salary for a "back-up". That's nine mil. in cap space for a back-up QB.

Quote:

I know we got him for nothing but that doesn't affect his value. Let's say I find a Mickey Mantle Baseball card in good condition in my grandfather's attic. Just because I got it for free doesn't change the cards value. I am not going to sell it to you for $20 just because I didn't spend anything to get it. The card still carries a much higher value.

Or in our case, it's like paying for a Mack truck to make sure you have room for your groceries. Not an economicly sound investment or theory IMO

Quote:

So we find DA and get him for nothing. That doesn't mean we should trade him and get less than we think we deserve in return. It is irrelevant that we claimed him off the practice squad. The only thing that matters is what we value him as our backup QB (If we value him as a starter then it is BQ whose value as a backup QB that matters and we trade BQ).

I do understand that it will depend on who they want as our starter. But at what cost? As I said before, is a nine million dollar back-up a blessing or an albatross around your neck?

Let's use your baseball card analogy. If you collect so many that you must pay $100 a month for storage room to keep them, at what point do you realise that you have outspendt the value of the cards to keep them?

Quote:

As for where I value him? Humm I don't really know. I would definitely trade him for a 1st rounder or better without hesitation. Probably down to a mid 2nd and not have to think about it much. I probably would accept down to a mid 3rd. Anything after that (and probably anything in the 3rd) I would wait until draft day and see exactly who is available and make the trade while the other team is on the clock if there is a player I value enough.

I guess my question would be that shouldn't you include another very critical factor??

What could Mangini acquire to help rebuild this team with that 9 mil? I think this will be a very critical factor to put into the equasion. If you get a back-up somewhere for three mil., that's a six mil gain on the cap # to get a FA somewhere in an area of need.

So the question then becomes....is keeping DA a blessing or a curse from the salary cap standpoint? And would keeping him be financialy sound IF they consider him a back-up?

Looking at those factors, what's he "really" worth to us? If they see DA is a back-up, it could very well mean he would serve as an overpaid albatross around our necks.

Not saying it will work out that way. But it's something I feel deserves considering. You don't spend 5000 on a John Deere tractor to mow a quarter acre lot.

JMHO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Jester Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Your right. All those things come into play in determining how much we value DA. And that decision is up to Mangini/Kokinis to decide. Ultimately what we are willing to accept in trade for DA is based on all these factors which is why there is no simple answer.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

which is way too much cap space to tie up on a quarterback who is projected to be a backup.

but wait ... the new regime has not made it "official" yet so know one knows for sure ...

Y- Town .....

Quote:

We really know nothing about the new powers that be regarding their thoughts on the QB position.

The might prefer one guy or the other ....... might not know yet ..... or might think that neither guy is the right fit.

None of the "Savage-Crennel" thinking and/or edicts apply anymore. Hell, the new guys might decide that Warner or McNabb is the right solution and trade both Quinn and Anderson. Who knows?

*LOL* .... good stuff ....

as for your question .... are U looking for an answer other than ANYONE WITH A CLUE??? .....

Jester Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

as for your question .... are U looking for an answer other than ANYONE WITH A CLUE??? .....

Didn't realize I asked a question?

Jester Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
And Diam - Where did you get those quotes from. Your post is noted to be regarding my post but I am pretty sure those quotes you are using are not from me.

D
Legend
Legend
D
ooops ... my bad ... forgot to stick Y-towns name is for the question part ...

I clicked onn U cause U posted the article .. the first quote from my response was from the articel .. sumptin the writer said about DA's status ... I was just taking a gentle jab at all those saying by not naming a starter were actually fooling someone ...

the 2nd qute was from Y-town ... and the "question" I asked was intended for him and the legions that want to hold out hope that DA will still be the man ...

pretty much just me being me ... the sarcastic a-hole that U either love or hate ... or *L* with ...

Sorry about the confusion man ... my mistake ...

Legend
Legend
I don't hope for anything at this point except winning. Right now, we have NO idea which, if either guy the new HMFIC think is the right guy to lead this team. They well could decide that neither is. (as has frequently happened when regimes change)

Right now neither QB has conclusively proved a damn thing. They could easily both be gone .... or one gone and one sitting on the bench if a QB becomes available that Mangini and Kokinis feel better fit the needs of this team.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Tim Couch for "09" haha

seriously i would be absolutly shocked if BQ isnt the starter. Mangini knows that they fans and the organization have alot invested in him, he has that star power that Jebron James has, and when starting over you need a corner stone or a face. Brady Quinn will be the face of the Browns...just like Payton Manning of the Colts, Tom Brady of the Pats. and so on

DA will be either traded or cut....we will bring in a past prime or never made it QB to be our number 2 and the show will go on!

#brownsgoodkarma
Jester Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Diam - No probs.

Tubby - I would like to see Chris Simms brought in as out backup. I think he could win some games if needed and potentially take over if BQ is a bust but not to the point that he would cause yet another Qb controversy. Of course that is if his head is in the right place. Seriously, the dude almost dies playing a football game. I don't know about you but I would be hesitant to get back in the game.

F
Rookie
Rookie
F
one team not mentioned is dallas,they need a back up qb someone to push romo,i mean c'mon brooks bollinger?? please and brad johnson should retire,so my point is that dallas is deep at linebacker so why not a trade

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
IMHO Quinn will be our Starter and Anderson , as the article implies will be trade before his $ 5M roster bonus is due....That being said , I feel that we should add a veteran QB to backup and mentor Quinn....As to who that guy should be is , your guess is as good as mine ....

The Mammal
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

And, IF they feel BQ is the starter, they must also ask themselves if they wish to pay a five million dollar roster bonus and a four million dollar salary for a "back-up". That's nine mil. in cap space for a back-up QB.

Naming BQ the starter doesn't automatically relegate DA's status to a 'nine-million dollar back-up'.

BQ is full of question marks, and looked less than impressive in his limited time on the field. DA can be labeled as the same...neither has shown anything but potential, and I'm content to waste a few bucks if it means not making a mistake, if it means not having to call it a season if a QB goes down...you're always going to waste money and take cap hits in this league...for once, if we're going to make a mistake, I'd rather it be a patient one than a knee-jerk one.

Legend
Legend
Well, I would trade him for three beers and two brats; that what he cost me when I ralphed at the stadium after he literally threw the game away to the Ratburdz. He needs a new place with coaches who will require his improvement and make calls to his strengths. I really still feel he will be a solid middle reliever in the NFL unless his habits change and he gets real favorable treatment.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
"one team not mentioned is dallas,they need a back up qb "

Was waiting for somebody to mention it...my son is a big time Cowboy fan so watched a lot of them. They do need a backup and Romo does get pummeled. Biggest problem there is that the Boys don't have that many draft picks.

And I don't want their 2010 pick we need picks in 09...So unless they end up Franchising Canty and then trading him. (Don't think we will spend what we would need on another DLman - although Canty is a Great 3-4 DE)
But that would give them some ammunition to then go get DA as a back up. New guys in town...they better not get taken by Jones.

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

F
Rookie
Rookie
F
what about carpenter ? i know he is only 6'2 but he can play inside and outside in a 3-4

C
Legend
Legend
C
Are you talking about Bobby Carpenter? The guy who has 35 tackles in his 3 seasons in the league.

Please.

F
Rookie
Rookie
F
yep thats the guy i want and if i am not mistaken he missed one year with an injury,so da. for him hell yes i make the trade

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

yep thats the guy i want and if i am not mistaken he missed one year with an injury,so da. for him hell yes i make the trade

Carpenter was a 1st rounder who has 50 tackles, 36 solo and 1.5 sacks in 3 seasons. He didn't miss a season with a leg injury, he just isn't that good. I'd much rather had a 3rd rounder for DA than Carpenter.

All Pro
All Pro
Ya know, Carpenter really hasn't had the chance to play.....He plays behind D. Ware, B. James, Z. Thomas.......He was a high prospect coming out, but he broke his leg in the Championship game his senior year......That was the year that the Bucks has Aj Hawk, Bobby Carpenter, and somebody else that was really good....and Laurinitis was a Freshman.....what a crew......

[Linked Image]
"Winning is not a some time thing, it's an all the time thing" ....-Lombardi-
C
Legend
Legend
C
Don't know if anyone caught this chat with Adam Schefter on NFL.com

What do you think the Vikings will do about their QB situation? Any free agents(Garcia)?

James: The good thing for the Vikings is, it's an intriguing off-season for quaterbacks. Matt Cassel, Derek Anderson and Donovan McNabb could be available in trade. Kerry Collins, Kurt Warner, Jeff Garcia, Rex Grossman are scheduled to be unrestricted free agents. And Michael Vick also could be in play. But if you're the Vikings, and you want to solidify the position, you have two primary options to me: trading for Anderson or signing Garcia. Garcia would be a short-term solution, Anderson a longer-term but pricier one. To get Anderson is going to cost at least a second-round pick, and maybe a first, and that's a steep price. Then again, Minnesota traded its 1 last year and that worked out pretty well, didn't it?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well first Phil, one would have to be objective enough to realise that he played one and three quarters of those games with a broken finger that had to be surgicly repaired.

I agree fully that he hasn't "proven" anything.

But in the first game and a quarter where he was healthy? He showed some pretty good stuff. At the very least, potential, pocket presence and the ability to sustain drives and put points on the board.

So I kind of understand that having a broken index finger on your throwing hand isn't actually any indication of much. Accept you're not a quitter.

So some acknolledge the difference and some don't. I do.......

JMHO

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
You know who I haven't seen mentioned as a possible suitor?

Arizona....actually DA might be the perfect guy for them.

Warner I think is done (Oh he can still play but he has been talking like a guy who is ready to retire).

Zona is not sold on Lienhart - Oh they have invested in him and hope and wish that he will progress. But its less of a deal than BQ is with us...for Lienhart had the starting position and LOST IT.

DA is perfect for them.
a. they need a reliable #2 one who can start.
b. they sure could use a #2 who has experience and yet youth so that his future progress is not etched in stone. 26 years old but 27 NFL starts.
c. They need a QB that can take advantage of the skills out there by throwing the ball anywhere and everywhere as long as it gets there quickly and Near the WR so they can make a play on the ball. Especially in the 20yd routes and outside. DA could be a better solution for them than Lienhart.

All I'm saying is that it makes sense...oh and them having over 40mil in cap space helps out as well!

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Quote:

Ya know, Carpenter really hasn't had the chance to play.....He plays behind D. Ware, B. James, Z. Thomas.......He was a high prospect coming out, but he broke his leg in the Championship game his senior year......That was the year that the Bucks has Aj Hawk, Bobby Carpenter, and somebody else that was really good....and Laurinitis was a Freshman.....what a crew......

thanks for the leg injury reminder,i knew he hurt it i just couldn't remember for how long he was out,he is buried in the depth chart he also play's in a 3-4 scheme,carpenter would bring more value than any third round pick could

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Im sure that him being from Ohio State has nothing to do with it tho right?

there are alot of talented players that are buried in depth charts around the leauge!

#brownsgoodkarma
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
being a buckeye is a plus but playing in a 3-4 is even a bigger one and being able to (i believe) to help us on defense is the biggest plus of all

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I could make the same comments about Crable tho...he is a stud LB that is buried

#brownsgoodkarma
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
the pat's don't need a back up at qb

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agent Qb's - Where will they end up? Scout.com Article

Link Copied to Clipboard