|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
Hall of Famer
|
OP
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531 |
On one hand, Les Stroud is more "realistic," as he takes the more practical approach to survival.
However, Bear Grylls does more crazy, outlandish things, albeit with a camera crew.
Which survival expert is better?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,936
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,936 |
I couldn't vote because I've never heard of either of these guys. Perhaps you need a "Who?" option. 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,959
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,959 |
I voted for Stroud. Not because I think he's a better "survivor" per se, but because his show is more realistic. He's out there on his own. No camera crew, no people to get him out of trouble if he gets in it. And more importantly, he doesn't spend the night in a hotel, then come back in the morning to "film" his "worst night ever".
Bear is nothing but hollywood. Stroud, while being more demur and tame, is the real thing.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
Hall of Famer
|
OP
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531 |
Quote:
I voted for Stroud. Not because I think he's a better "survivor" per se, but because his show is more realistic. He's out there on his own. No camera crew, no people to get him out of trouble if he gets in it. And more importantly, he doesn't spend the night in a hotel, then come back in the morning to "film" his "worst night ever".
Bear is nothing but hollywood. Stroud, while being more demur and tame, is the real thing.
Well said...I haven't voted yet because I've been struggling with that.
YES...Bear Grylls has a camera crew. But...he does some pretty insane things.
On the other hand, Les Stroud is definitely the better guy to listen to for survival tips.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,223
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,223 |
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 434
All Pro
|
All Pro
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 434 |
Les Stroud is the man. He's the real deal
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,333
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,333 |
exactly lol....
LEE STROUD!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 221
2nd String
|
2nd String
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 221 |
Stroud for sure. Bear basically makes a living trying to gross out the audience IMO. One day that guy is going to get a nasty parasite  Eating crap, and bugs doesn't make you a survivor, it makes you
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 553
All Pro
|
All Pro
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 553 |
he drinks his own pee too.
that whole show is based on bear making himself sick. strouds show is much more informative, and also he doesn't puke.
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.
John Barrymore
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531
Hall of Famer
|
OP
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,531 |
Quote:
he drinks his own pee too.
that whole show is based on bear making himself sick. strouds show is much more informative, and also he doesn't puke.
He puked once.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,349
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,349 |
I have no idea who either one of these guys is, but I voted for Bear just because anyone with the name Bear has to be a tough SOB  KING
You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,210
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,210 |
Quote:
I have no idea who either one of these guys is, but I voted for Bear just because anyone with the name Bear has to be a tough SOB 
KING
So if I decide to start calling myself "Bear" does that make me a tough SOB
Edward Michael "Bear" Grylls is the son of the late Conservative (UK) party politician Sir Michael Grylls and Sally Grylls, the former Sarah Ford.
link to UK article describing how Bear "roughed it" staying in hotels during some of his "escapades"
But an adviser to Born Survivor yesterday claimed that many of his other escapades were not exactly as they seemed on TV. In one episode filmed in California's Sierra Nevada mountains he was shown biting off the head of a snake for breakfast and boasting that he was living on 'just a water bottle, a cup and a flint for making fire'.
Viewers were not told that he was actually spending some nights in the Pines Resort hotel at Bass Lake, where the rooms have Internet access and is advertised as 'a cosy getaway for families' complete with blueberry pancakes for breakfast.
In another episode when Grylls declared he was a 'real life Robinson Crusoe' stuck on a desert island, he was actually on an outlying part of the Hawaiian archipelago and retired to a motel at nightfall.
Mark Weinert, a survival consultant brought in for the programme, said one show also wrongly gave the impression that the adventurer built a Polynesian- style raft using only materials around him, including bamboo and palm leaves for a sail.
Mr Weinert had in fact led a team that built the raft, which was then dismantled so that Grylls could be shown constructing it on camera. In another episode, Grylls was filmed attempting to lasso 'wild' mustang in the Sierra Nevada, when the horses were actually tame and had been brought in by trailer from a nearby trekking station.
Channel 4 confirmed that Grylls had used hotels during expeditions and ordered the production company that made the programme to investigate the other claims.
Les Stroud is the man. What sucks is Stroud is quitting filming Survivorman.
LIbertatem Defendimus!!
2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,465
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,465 |
Bear is more entertaining, but from the begginning I could tell that his way out looked like it was preplanned. Like he scouted the area to look for easy ways out. Its also like the camera crew makes it look more dangerous, but they are basically doing the same thing.
Both do some things I wouldnt do and they both got skills.
Les Stroud IMO would be the better one to watch for survival techniques but the other is more entertaining so i dont know who to vote for.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,349
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,349 |
Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea who either one of these guys is, but I voted for Bear just because anyone with the name Bear has to be a tough SOB 
KING
So if I decide to start calling myself "Bear" does that make me a tough SOB
I wouldnt want to mess mith ya <------- hey look a grin,just like the one in my original statement 
KING
You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,210
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,210 |
lol, yeah I know, it's a sensitive topic with me. I debate this quite often at the office and end up getting frusterated. They've actually used the comment you made as a reason why Bear is better. Just decided to vent on here. No hard feelings 
LIbertatem Defendimus!!
2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 19,267
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 19,267 |
Les Stroud all the way. I think Bear Grylls would do better on "Jackass" than a survivor show.
And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul. - John Muir
#GMSTRONG
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,458
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,458 |
Both of these guys have done enough in their lives to earn my respect, but I enjoy Strouds show a lot more. Grylls Wiki Stroud Wiki
I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
|
|
|
DawgTalkers.net
Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus Les Stroud vs. Bear Grylls
|
|