Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1488 Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Titans tackle to test free agencyComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

After lengthy negotiations with the Tennessee Titans, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth instead will first test the free-agent market before deciding whether to re-sign with the only NFL team he's played for.

NFL.com Video

The Titans Albert Haynesworth shows why he is one of the top defensive tackles in the NFL.

The NFL Network on Wednesday first reported the story, which was later confirmed by ESPN.

The 27-year-old Haynesworth is expected to draw great interest in free agency. Fresh off another Pro Bowl season, the 6-foot-6, 320-pound Haynesworth has 91 tackles and 14.5 sacks in the past two years. In seven seasons as a pro, he has 271 career tackles -- 199 of them solo -- and 24 sacks.

If Haynesworth does return to Tennessee, it won't be before free agency begins Feb. 27.

Haynesworth had a team-high 8.5 sacks and 75 tackles last season. He missed the Titans' final two regular-season games because of a sprained knee before returning for the playoffs.

[Linked Image from img.villagephotos.com]
Legend
Legend
::drools with ridiculously unrealistic vision of Haynesworth next to Rogers::

WE GOTTA GET THAT GUY!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

U
All Pro
All Pro
U
Quote:

::drools with ridiculously unrealistic vision of Haynesworth next to Rogers::

It's a nice dream, isn't it?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Man, I would really love to get him, but there's no way we can afford him.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
1488 Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
I also think its an unrealistic chance we somehow get him but you can imagine if we did. That 17 sack total the Browns had last year would double for sure,maybe triple. LOL

[Linked Image from img.villagephotos.com]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
i'm still convinced the guy played like he did for the 1) the next contract and 2) the promise to not be franchised. I'm very interested in seeing what happens when he signs with his next team and really, i'm glad we don't have the cash room to be a player. i'd hate to make him the highest paid dt to have him start slumming again.

Legend
Legend
OMG!!

DE: Albert Haynesworth
NT: Shaun Rogers
DE: Corey Williams

WOW!!!

And add drafting two LB's in the first and second round!!! WOW!!!

This is my first time saying this... and it feels wierd not saying the old GM's name...

but...

Get'm Kokinis!!!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
That would be a beastly front 7 ...

We might have to mortgage the future to do it though

There are no sacred cows.
Legend
Legend
Someone just reminded me of his antics stomping on a guys head... I love the guys fire and I love the guys motor and ability.... But if Character is an issue,,, then someone needs to look very closely at this guys.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I agree. Character is a huge ? here.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Smart move. It would have been dumb to do otherwise.

I don't think Albert wants to move, and probably won't. He just wants the Titans to see what kind of money teams will throw at him.

I don't think he is simply going to go with the most money.....he just wants to be sure the Titans stay in the ballpark.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Someone just reminded me of his antics stomping on a guys head... I love the guys fire and I love the guys motor and ability.... But if Character is an issue,,, then someone needs to look very closely at this guys.

Geese man.....he isn't a character problem...things happen on the field just as on the boards.

I feel like slapping you in the back of the head about every third post you make, yet there is nothing wrong with my character.

LOL

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I didn't like it when it happened, but it seemed to be more of a moment of fired up stupidity rather than an overall character issue... JMHO on that, of course. I'd love to snag him. Doubt it'll happen, but what a grab it would be if we did.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

Last week, soon-to-be free-agent defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth suggested that he won't give the Tennessee Titans a "hometown discount."

The news should prompt a deep sigh of relief in Nashville.

The Titans should be relieved because it means Haynesworth will hit the open market on February 27. Presumably, within 12 hours, he'll sign a contract worth more than $100 million to play for another team.

Then, the newly minted multi-multi-millionaire will be someone else's problem.

In the free-agency era, several defensive tackles have played exceptionally during their contract years, only to lose their fire after getting paid handsomely.

Daryl Gardener, for example, parlayed a one-year deal in D.C. into a huge contract with the Broncos, and he never contributed anything to Denver aside from a string of headaches.

Haynesworth, a Titans first-round draft pick, would have been considered a bust three years ago -- if anyone remembered he was still in the league. If fact, it wasn't until Haynesworth treated Cowboys center Andre Gurode's head like a block of Gouda that the tackle's name returned to the lips of most league observers.

The incident, which earned Haynesworth a five-game suspension (he arguably should have gone to jail), occurred in 2006. Haynesworth finished that season with 30 tackles and two sacks in eleven games.

Through five NFL seasons, he had only 9.5 sacks, an average of 1.9 per year.

In 2007, Haynesworth entered the final year of his rookie contract. Perhaps motivated by a half-decade of mediocrity and the lingering memories of his assault with a deadly weapon (i.e., his cleats), Haynesworth suddenly became a beast. In 13 games, he recorded six sacks, more than three times his prior per-season average.

In 2008, the Titans kept him around with the franchise tag -- and a promise not to use it again if he returned to the Pro Bowl. Haynesworth continued to play at a high level, winning his freedom.

In 14 games last season, Haynesworth recorded 8.5 sacks -- just one fewer than his total from his first five seasons.

The question for the Titans is this: After Haynesworth achieves tremendous financial security, will he revert to being the guy who stomped on an opponent's face? Even worse, will he lose the fire that drove him to channel his anger into back-to-back seasons that have made him the hottest free-agent commodity on defense?

Considering the money Haynesworth wants -- and considering some team will give it to him in order to build buzz, sell jerseys and move tickets for the upcoming season and beyond -- the best outcome for the Titans would be this: After offering to make Haynesworth the highest-paid defensive player in league history (placating the locals), he accepts an even bigger deal from another franchise.

Trying to make that happen would carry some risk for the Titans. Being set for life might cause Haynesworth to go soft if he stays in Tennessee, but if he leaves, he might find fresh motivation from a desire to prove that the Titans should have re-signed him.

Thus, if Haynesworth plays as well elsewhere -- or, even worse, if he takes his game to a new level with a new team -- the Titans will be criticized for not keeping him around.

Still, watching Haynesworth thrive with another franchise (such as the Lions, where former Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz is the new head coach) would be better than paying him a king's ransom and seeing him revert to being just "a guy."

Especially if the "guy" in question loses his cool (again) when an opponent is on the ground without a helmet.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=514064

i'm telling you guys, we want no part of haynesworth. very recently, he was on probation for driving like a mad man and literally a couple DAYS after that, he did the same thing and caused someone to crash, causing the 25 year-old to need a new hip.

first story: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/12/more-trouble-for-haynesworth/

follow-up story: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/1...ertain-lawsuit/

And yes, this is profootball talk but it isn't dealing with any sources. it was a story broken by the Tennesean and the Nashville Paper

he's gonna be trouble for his next team.

Legend
Legend
Not for nothin, but it doesn't sound like a one time thing given the stories that Dong just posted below your post....

If by some strange twist of fate, we land this guy, then I hope you are correct.. otherwise, we may just have another headache....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Smart move. It would have been dumb to do otherwise.

I don't think Albert wants to move, and probably won't. He just wants the Titans to see what kind of money teams will throw at him.

I don't think he is simply going to go with the most money.....he just wants to be sure the Titans stay in the ballpark.

1. Bingo!
2. We don't have the kind of cap room to compete for Albert. Move on to the next FA possibility.. it ain't gonna be AH.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Geese man.....he isn't a character problem...things happen on the field just as on the boards.

You probably have a closer feel being out that way, but a Titans fan I know says the guy is a real P.O.S.

Says he hopes they resign him though.

As for The Incident...he did immediately apologize and served his punishment...but, man, that was pretty vicious.

E
Legend
Legend
E
"::drools with ridiculously unrealistic vision of Haynesworth next to Rogers::"

Yep, then we can play a 2-5 D

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Not for nothin, but it doesn't sound like a one time thing given the stories that Dong just posted below your post....

If by some strange twist of fate, we land this guy, then I hope you are correct.. otherwise, we may just have another headache....

I see your point. Some times the dream is better than the reality. Honestly, it seems like he would be a good fit here. The reality may be something else entirely. He could grow lazy after a fat pay day, get injured on the first day of training camp, kill himself or someone else while driving recklessly, or have five more pro bowl seasons. It's always a gamble with these guys. I just know we need help, maybe it's better to home grow... but where do you find someone with that kind of ability and experience if you don't take a guy like him? I don't know, maybe it's not worth the risk.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I see your point. Sometimes the dream is better than the reality. Honestly, it seems like he would be a good fit here. The reality may be something else entirely. He could grow lazy after a fat pay day, get injured on the first day of training camp, kill himself or someone else while driving recklessly, or have five more pro bowl seasons. It's always a gamble with these guys. I just know we need help, maybe it's better to home grow... but where do you find someone with that kind of ability and experience if you don't take a guy like him? Maybe he's not worth the risk. I don't think we'll pay the money he'll be looking for anyway, so it's probably moot.

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Haynesworth has said he wants to become the higest paid defensive player in the history of the NFL. We have bigger needs tahn tying up our cap in him. Just move on and hope he doesn't go to someone in the division

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
Legend
Legend
Well.. We can pass the torch to Ahtuba Rubin... GO BIG RUBE !!!!!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Haynesworth has said he wants to become the higest paid defensive player in the history of the NFL. We have bigger needs tahn tying up our cap in him. Just move on and hope he doesn't go to someone in the division

I haven't read that quote anywhere, but I believe ya. He strikes me as the type.

But as Cal and lots of others have said,,, he'd look real good next to Rogers and Williams.......

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Without a doubt he would come at a high cost.

Without a doubt I think we are done with any major moves on our DL in the FA market.

What scares me is the remarkable upgrade in Haynesworth's game over the last 2 years. Sort of like a guy hitting 30-40 homeruns a year all of sudden hitting 70!

JMHObservance

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

What scares me is the remarkable upgrade in Haynesworth's game over the last 2 years. Sort of like a guy hitting 30-40 homeruns a year all of sudden hitting 70!

What are you trying to say Eo.... Roids? isn't everyone in the league tested every year?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum haynesworth to test the market.

Link Copied to Clipboard