Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
dawgbreath01 #357211 03/07/09 12:26 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

OK, OK... let's get Roy Williams and I won't feel nearly as bad.

I hope you're not serious, Roy got benched in Dallas in passing situations because he was absolutely horrible in coverage.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
214dawg #357212 03/07/09 02:58 AM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
My thoughts exactly! Ughh, don't get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE the mentality and the physically in which Roy plays with, but as a starting safety in the NFL, gross. I mean, I feel as if I could do a better job in coverage than this guy, and I am a smoker who doesn't get too much exercise, so that's saying something...

I really like the idea of Pool starting at SS, so what else is available at FS? Free agency or draft....

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
dawgbreath01 #357213 03/07/09 07:44 AM
Legend
Legend
No... We better get Sean Smith out of Utah.... Thats the only guy I would feel comfortable come in here and replace Sean Jones..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
CoachB #357214 03/07/09 08:27 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

No, he wasn't half bad. He was 2/3rds bad. His 3 primary jobs were support the run, cover TEs, and make the calls in the secondary. He only supported the run well.

I'd bet Mangini and Koke saw a SS who didn't support the run very well either...

Cause if they thought he did support the run...We'd sign him to more than a 1 year deal...Even if only 2 years cause this 1 year he just signed isn't gonna be much when it comes out...

The ONLY way this run D is ever gonna get any damn better is when we upgrade UP THE GUT...

Davis...GONE
Jones...GONE

Necessary change...Get Barton in here for a couple/3 years...

I'm leaning heavily on Brown/Orakpo and giving Crabtree to Al Davis at 7...

4 Safeties available in the 36/38/50 range...

Delmas
Johnson
Chung
WILLIAM MOORE...I take this kid ALL DAY and put him in Center field and move Pool up...

Go Browns!!!
Dawg in Dayton #357215 03/07/09 08:53 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I love how whenever we get a new coach (and God knows we get them way too often) there is a whole group of guys that agree with everything that coach does. He could paint the building Raven purple and somebody would agree that a change needed to be made. Hell, I've already seen comments that we're a better team with Robert Royal replacing KW2.....C'mon now......

Sean Jones was not perfect. But he's not nearly as bad as he's being portrayed on here. He was definitely good enough to keep, even if you don't think he's starter material.

But what some of you want me to believe is that Eric Mangini is a smarter coach than Andy Reid. At least in this instance. Sorry, not buying that batch of Kool-Aid yet. I think I'll wait until EM brings us a couple of division championships before I make that call.

But, hey, that's just me..........

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
homer_brown #357216 03/07/09 08:53 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'm pretty sure Russell did the calls when he was here.

He did and when he missed a few games our defense was significantly worse. Sure he was limited athletically but in my mind our defense was significantly better when he was in the lineup.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
214dawg #357217 03/07/09 08:57 AM
D
1st String
1st String
D
I dunno... Williams was a pro bowler 5 out of his 7 years in the league. I think we could find a place for him on our team.

dawgbreath01 #357218 03/07/09 09:06 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
When even the guys on Sirius Radio's NFL channel say you suck.....then you suck. And that's all they've been saying about Roy Williams all week.

Just say no.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
crazyotto55 #357219 03/07/09 09:09 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

But what some of you want me to believe is that Eric Mangini is a smarter coach than Andy Reid. At least in this instance. Sorry, not buying that batch of Kool-Aid yet

craz...It's not like Andy Reid risked a ton signing Jones ...to a "1 yr" contract.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #357220 03/07/09 09:16 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So, conversely, it's not like we would have risked all that much either. Is it?

Now we either go with Adams and Pool or find another safety. Even if you think Adams is the "answer" what would have been wrong with keeping Jones as depth?

Sorry, the guy is at least as good at safety as Robert Royal is at TE and we signed him. No reason we couldn't have signed Jones.

crazyotto55 #357221 03/07/09 09:25 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I wonder if moving him to LB would help him earn a job...he is big and physical enough to play LB....thoughts?

#brownsgoodkarma
crazyotto55 #357222 03/07/09 09:27 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Eagles sign safety Sean Jones

By Bob Brookover

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The search for Brian Dawkins' long-term replacement in the Eagles' defensive backfield isn't over.

Sean Jones has the first chance to be that guy.

After missing four games with a right knee injury last season, the former Cleveland Browns' safety didn't get a lot of bites in his first exposure on the free-agent market, so he decided to sign a one-year deal from the Eagles yesterday, hoping it turns into a more lucrative multi-year contract either here or elsewhere next year at this time.

The deal, according to his agent Brian Mackler, is worth $3 million

OTTO...Don't Jones KNEES bother u???...Do me...Much like Winslow's...

Pool's concussion history bothers me too....

Now...Saying that...Reed & Polamalu are TOP Safeties on TOP D's...

Our Safeties can't even sniff those 2...Time for change bro...

I'm tellin' ya'...William Moore of Missouri's gonna be a powerful FS in this league...

Go Browns!!!
Tubby_Dawg #357223 03/07/09 09:28 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Who? Williams? I doubt he'd be open to such a change this late in his career.

And if you're talking about Jones I'm guessing the same goes for him. But I suppose it's a possibility.

crazyotto55 #357224 03/07/09 09:31 AM
All Pro
All Pro
I agree....getting rid of Jones was pretty dumb IMO.....if he was that bad, then find a replacement first.....or else at the very least, you have the option to keep him if you can't find a replacement...now, we are stuck having to find one..and if you think that we can go out in the 2nd round of the draft, and find a ROOKIE that will play better than Jones, I think you are sadly mistaken.....Now, if we do draft a rookie safety, then I think it would benifit us by signing a Roy Williams or a Dexter Jackson...are they the long term answer....nope, but I can assure you that with Roy, the run "D" gets better....Pool will just have to cover EVERYTHING else....lol....

[Linked Image]
"Winning is not a some time thing, it's an all the time thing" ....-Lombardi-
Dawg in Dayton #357225 03/07/09 09:35 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Honestly, Jones knees bothered me less than Winslow's. And I think Winslow has at least 2-4 good years left. (I also think we should have kept KW2 but I understand why that deal was made).

I'm not saying Jones is just this side of Ed Reed. What I am saying is that he was worth keeping considering what we have on the roster right now.

Hell, I remember distinctly that nearly everyone on this board wanted Pool cut 2 years ago. Now he's our "best" safety. So forgive me if I show just a bit of skepticism in the talent judging on here.....

crazyotto55 #357226 03/07/09 09:35 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
i was talking about williams....but heck maybe even jones could do it...i just think that Williams would have the easier time adjusting, i liked jones cause he was a brown and had his moments where he played good...but unfortunetly he had more bad moments than good. i hope he turns out to be the player we thought he was when we drafted him....just didnt fit here anymore and we need to look a different direction

#brownsgoodkarma
Tubby_Dawg #357227 03/07/09 09:50 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

just didn't fit here anymore and we need to look in a different direction

How didn't he fit anymore? Do we have someone better in the wings? No. Will we get someone better in FA? Who? Roy Williams? Doubtful, even if you think he's better. Will we draft someone better? Maybe. But now we almost have to draft someone at safety, better or not.

See, that's my point. Just because this coach/staff dumped Jones doesn't make it a good move or the right move. But many will nod their heads and say, "Yep, EM knows best, Jones must suck". When that ain't necessarily true.

What's more likely is the Browns thought that Jones would have to come crawling back and they'd get him on the cheap. It might have worked. But it didn't. So now we need another player that 2 weeks ago we didn't need to worry about.

I'll wait until we start playing some real games to start formulating a real opinion of Mangini and this staff. But so far, he's not "trippn' my trigger".

crazyotto55 #357228 03/07/09 09:53 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

What's more likely is the Browns thought that Jones would have to come crawling back and they'd get him on the cheap.

That's quite possible......it's also possible that Jones didn't want to be here anymore, and we would have had to overpay to keep him and the FO knew that. *shrug*

Tubby_Dawg #357229 03/07/09 09:56 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think Roy Williams could convert to a 4-3 OLB if he wanted to do so. I actually think that would be his best position. And as he gets older and slows down he may need to ass some bulk and make the switch if he wants to prolong his career. I don't think he has the size to be a 3-4 OLB.

As for signing Jones, just remember there are two sides to each argument. Maybe Jones had no interest in coming back to the Browns?

shepdawg #357230 03/07/09 09:59 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

it's also possible that Jones didn't want to be here anymore, and we would have had to overpay to keep him and the FO knew that.

True, but since I haven't heard any murmurs of Jones bad-mouthing Cleveland or the Browns and the NFL, in general, and the Browns, in particular, have all of a sudden noticed the economy is in the crapper I suspect my scenario is more likely.

shepdawg #357231 03/07/09 09:59 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

What's more likely is the Browns thought that Jones would have to come crawling back and they'd get him on the cheap.

That's quite possible......it's also possible that Jones didn't want to be here anymore, and we would have had to overpay to keep him and the FO knew that. *shrug*

That's my opinion also.

OoooRahJoice #357232 03/07/09 11:19 AM
C
Poser
Poser
C
I have heard things that makes me think that the replacement for Jones has already been targeted. There may be a ton of posts on here shocked with the move if it happens. Right now, it's speculation from those I hear it from, so I won't say a whole lot about it other than there is a player the FO has been looking at prior to letting Jones go to FA.

CoachB #357233 03/07/09 11:25 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really don't think too many people are shocked. Some more disappointed than others but not shocked.

Coach - Don't want to compromise any of your source so I won't ask for a player's name but do you feel comfortable telling us if the "replacement" player being looked at is a FA or a potential draft pick?

Jester #357234 03/07/09 11:27 AM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
or a trade??

crazyotto55 #357235 03/07/09 11:41 AM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

just didn't fit here anymore and we need to look in a different direction

How didn't he fit anymore? Do we have someone better in the wings? No. Will we get someone better in FA? Who? Roy Williams? Doubtful, even if you think he's better. Will we draft someone better? Maybe. But now we almost have to draft someone at safety, better or not.

See, that's my point. Just because this coach/staff dumped Jones doesn't make it a good move or the right move. But many will nod their heads and say, "Yep, EM knows best, Jones must suck". When that ain't necessarily true.

What's more likely is the Browns thought that Jones would have to come crawling back and they'd get him on the cheap. It might have worked. But it didn't. So now we need another player that 2 weeks ago we didn't need to worry about.

I'll wait until we start playing some real games to start formulating a real opinion of Mangini and this staff. But so far, he's not "trippn' my trigger".

He doesn't fit here because we have two strong safeties playing Strong and Free Safety. Now do we have a plan for replacing Jones? I would certainly hope so, and I trust that Kokinis has targeted someone. But at the moment, even with a safety spot open, Jones just did not fit.

If I were to guess and Brodney Pool's contract was up instead of Jones, we would have seen Pool leave as well. The problem is that we had two safeties who couldn't even come close to covering any body in the secondary. If we can get that centerfielder to pair with Pool, then I would think everybody would be happy.

And, correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't there a certain Ohio State player that would fit that mold pretty well? I'm not saying to draft Jenkins, but I am saying that we need a safety that can cover, not hobble on a bad knee and leave TE's wide open.

you had a good run Hank.
crazyotto55 #357236 03/07/09 11:42 AM
H
1st String
1st String
H
Quote:

Quote:

it's also possible that Jones didn't want to be here anymore, and we would have had to overpay to keep him and the FO knew that.

True, but since I haven't heard any murmurs of Jones bad-mouthing Cleveland or the Browns and the NFL, in general, and the Browns, in particular, have all of a sudden noticed the economy is in the crapper I suspect my scenario is more likely.

To paraphrase. Since Jones is respectable human being and not a me first prima donna and keeps his contract information out of the media the only conclusion that is plausible is that you are right.

I am sorry but I do not buy that line of thinking. Just because you choose to take a narrow view of the world, does not mean that the browns are wrong when they do not do what you think is right in the limited spectrum that you choose to see. There are many reasons about why jones might not have signed with the browns.

In the previous post you narrowed the view of the situation as such.

Quote:

How didn't he fit anymore?

No body but the coaching staff knows this answer. He could still fit but there might be any number of reasons why he was not in our plans. I will name a few hypotheses, but they are nothing more than speculation.

1. With rob Ryan we are switching to a more man to man blitz scheme and Jones’ tools did not fit into the scheme.
2. Jones fit, but he wanted more money than we were willing to spend.
3. Jones fit the scheme, but the injury history made the new regime wary
4. Jones flat out did not want to be here.

I have no clue if any of those are true, but they may be plausible.

Quote:

Do we have someone better in the wings? No.

In a perfect world we would have someone, but we do not live in a Utopian world were everything is perfect.

Quote:

Will we get someone better in FA?

Maybe, maybe not., but if I could honestly answer this I would have pulled all my money out of the stock market in August of 2008.

The other problem is that your definition of better, might be different than my definition of better. It is a very arbitrary question.

Once could argue that Mike Adams is better in coverage and worse in run support than Jones. Depending on what priority you place on the skills that a safety has, we either got better or worse. Its arbitrary.

Quote:

Who? Roy Williams? Doubtful, even if you think he's better. Will we draft someone better? Maybe. But now we almost have to draft someone at safety, better or not.

If anyone knew this they would have started a thread that said. So and so will sign or will be drafted by the browns to play safety. There are no answers to these questions, only more questions, and I think you see that by your next statement.

Quote:

See, that's my point. Just because this coach/staff dumped Jones doesn't make it a good move or the right move. But many will nod their heads and say, "Yep, EM knows best, Jones must suck".

I agree completely with this statement in that it is too early to tell if this was a good move as we are only half way through the process. To use the metaphor of baking a cake, we are still purchasing the ingredients. We are a long way off from seeing how it tastes.

With that being said, I do have questions about the very next statement

Quote:

When that ain't necessarily true.

So it is too early to tell if it is a good move, but it is clear that it was a bad move? I have a problem rectifying those too arguments.

If there is not enough data to draw the conclusion that this was a good move, then there is not enough data to say that it was bad move.

You might be right, in that EM and Kokinis made a mistake letting him walk, but it is pure conjecture at this time. Just as it is pure conjecture that this was a good move.

I too am frustrated, and want a winner, but there is no panacea for the Browns predicament. We can only hope that they get it right this time and only time will tell.

Jester #357237 03/07/09 12:04 PM
C
Poser
Poser
C
Again, nothing solid yet, but speculation is draft pick.

dawgbreath01 #357238 03/07/09 12:09 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Roy Williams got cut because he's a better version of Jones............great against the run, but couldn't cover anyone and made ??? calls

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
CoachB #357239 03/07/09 12:09 PM
Legend
Legend
Coach, I think it's pretty obvious we're planning on sending Quinn and Rogers to Philly for Sean Jones and a draft pick.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
CoachB #357240 03/07/09 12:17 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks Coach, if that is true I know which guy I would want.

And good point Bigfoot, I didn't even think about that as a possibility.

CoachB #357241 03/07/09 12:26 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I just hope the guy is not named Delmas or Moore Coach...Chung would be an overdraft in the 2nd but a player every fan is going to love

I really hope it´s Johnson

DjangoBrown #357242 03/07/09 12:34 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
"does Saban have any ties with Mangini? Anybody know?"

Well as Coach B stated Mangini brought him a lot of Coffee and Donuts a while back

But I think they have maintained a relationship...Why do I say that?

Saban reportedly is the one who HIGHLY recommended Matt Eberflus to us for the LB coach position.

Back to the thread.

One year deal: Big question marks on the knees and I guess Jones figures he would get the automatic start of the Safety spot with a VERY VERY GOOD DEFENSE...so his Show Me One year contract could only prove to be beneficial to him - as long as he stays healthy...More injuries to that knee he'll be worse off than he was now in FAgency. Stays Healthy and with a Good Defense that would elevate his play...He just made a very smart move for a big Pay Day

Good Luck and Good Health Sean...just not enough for our team - good run support also he was good in Zone coverage and had ball hawk skills. He totally sucked in One on one coverages though.

JMHO - We looked much, much better with Adams at FS and Pool at SS then at anytime Sean Jones was in the mix healthy or not! I can live with that until we get a stud Safety from the draft This year or next.

Just read the next page...Django hehe...one of my favorite Safeties in this draft is Moore and that coach Eberflus was his DC/Safety Coach at Missouri - so if we take him I would feel very secure about the pick as we would know everything about the kid inside n out

Last edited by eotab; 03/07/09 12:39 PM.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
CoachB #357243 03/07/09 01:09 PM
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Again, nothing solid yet, but speculation is draft pick.

If this is true then it has to be Malcom Jenkins..why you ask because no one can guarantee that in the 2nd round that the "other" guy we want (Moore, Chung...etc) will be there. So if we are depending on a draft pick we have already made the ASSumption he is going to be there.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Loki #357244 03/07/09 01:14 PM
Legend
Legend
I think that what coach is implying is that the Browns would trade a draft pick for a safety they have targetted ..... not draft one.

Unless I misread him that is.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
YTownBrownsFan #357245 03/07/09 01:21 PM
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

I think that what coach is implying is that the Browns would trade a draft pick for a safety they have targetted ..... not draft one.

Unless I misread him that is.

Well I would prefer that..I wonder which safeties are being shopped? Ed Reed Derek Anderson for Kerry Rhodes (lets start this rumor)?

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
crazyotto55 #357246 03/07/09 01:53 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

But what some of you want me to believe is that Eric Mangini is a smarter coach than Andy Reid. At least in this instance.

Using that logic since the Donks signed Dawkins .... your saying that Josh McDaniels is smarter than Andy Ried ...

At least in this instance ....

CoachB #357247 03/07/09 02:16 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
relying on a rookie safety??? .. that's have to be someone picked high .. first 2 rounds .. unless they absolutely love someone that they feel will fall to us in the 3rd .. and thats a HUGE GAMBLE to fill a hole with a 3rd rnd pick ..

Jenkins is the obvious supsect ... but I highly doubt there gonna rely on a converted CB to step right in .. but U never know ... if they did this .. they'd start to seal there fate right away .... doing sumptin like that with your first pick would be a make or break type deal and tell us alot about how good/bad this regime will be ...

someone all ready mentioned Bruton ... i highly doubt we'd take him at 2 .... but there is a real good chance he will be there in 3 .. hes a GREAT CENTERFIELDER ... and is a Jeannie type of player ... VERY VERY SMART .. the kid can do some things very well ... he is a long strider and can make up alot of ground quickly ...

hes a sure tackler but not a great one .. will also make u pay coming over the middle as he can lay a lick on U ..

and he sure as hell would be a surprise pick in rnd 2 (everyone will say a huge reach) but he very well may be there in 3 ....

we could do worse ... he'd be the best CF we had since our return (not that the bar is real hig .. *L*) ... he's alot better athelete and tackler than Russell and a real smart kid ..

Naaaa ... it can't be him .. gotta be either Jenkins (PUKE) or someone in rnd 2 .. well maybe him ...

T
Legend
Legend
T
Post deleted by THROW LONG

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
THROW LONG #357249 03/07/09 02:33 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Out of all the posts from al the other boards U chose to treat us to this one ... L* ..... Come On man .. this dude sounds dumber and less intelligent than most of the posters on here ...

Ahhh .. that explains it ... you were trying to make some of our posters feel better about themselves by posting this idioditic drivle from somewhere else ....

my only question is .. why has this not been deleted yet ... (it was a rhetorical question Refs ... so no need for an answer ... ) ...

... your truely a self less poster ...

crazyotto55 #357250 03/07/09 02:49 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Hell, I've already seen comments that we're a better team with Robert Royal replacing KW2.....

Where?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns to let S. Jones and others test FA

Link Copied to Clipboard