Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
R
Thanks to all for keeping them contained to one thread, it makes things much simpler and is much appreciated!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

CLEVELAND -- The Browns bid farewell to free agent linebacker Heath Farwell today.

Farwell, who was pursued heavily by the Browns during and after his visit this week, agreed to terms on multi-year deal with his former team, the Minnesota Vikings, the Pioneer Press reported.

A source said it came down to Cleveland and Minnesota for Farwell, who was very impressed with the Browns.

Farwell, a leader on special teams, was hoping to compete for a starting linebacker job this season. One of his reps said he enjoyed his visit to Cleveland and another source said the Browns were very aggressive in their pursuit of him.

Farwell, coming off surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament, led the Vikings in special teams tackles in 2006 and 2007.

The Browns will have to look elsewhere for linebacker help. They've expressed interest in former Lions linebacker Paris Lenon, who led the team in tackles last season.

Cleveland.com

Farwell sounded a lot like a guy that was on the team last year (Kris Griffin.) No big deal that we didn't get him.

I am more interested in the guy they mentioned at the end of the article, Paris Lenon. He led the Lions in tackles last year (I know, not saying much.) But if we could get him as our 3rd inside linebacker I would consider it a good signing.

W
2nd String
2nd String
W
Quote:

Paris Lenon. He led the Lions in tackles last year

Let's just hope that he is not another Andra Davis (making a lot of tackles 5-yds beyond the LOS)! JMHO Go Brownies!!!

Who Let Da Dawgs Out? Woof, Woof, Woof!!!!!
Legend
Legend
Just Clicking

I missed it somehow,, Jones signed with the Eagles today.. Oh well, I think we now know that the browns probably weren't planning to bring him back anyway..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
So I think all of the Butch Davis guys are gone now.....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We still have Pontbriand

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Wouldn't be surprised if he was traded as well...

C
Poser
Poser
C
Just so I understand, Turk. You wanted to keep a slefish, locker room cancer and a guy that has had knee problems and trouble covering TEs, making the correct secondary calls, and only got a 1 year deal elsewhere? That would have helped improve the team how?

Legend
Legend
who in this league is perfect?

And to answer your question... YES!!!

C
Poser
Poser
C
No one is perfect. However, when you are a selfish player that screams for the ball in the huddle, brags about his stats in meetings and proclaiming you deserve to be in the Pro Bowl (while not able to block my grandma), and spreading lies about the organization in the media, you are going to DESTROY a team's chemistry. You can ignore that all you want, but that is reality.

I loved the Jones pick. He had holes in his game, but everyone does when they come in the league. His knee injuries have slowed him causing his problems coveriing TEs. He also cannot make the correct calls in the secondary. Those two elements make him a liability, not an asset.

So, you can say "YES" because you like the guys, but this is a business. We got rid of a huge cancer that was detrimental to the team and upgraded the overall TE position. We also have made the way to get a better safety. That is building a team. Sentimental favorites and love for a guy that played for your favorite college team has no place in building a winning team. Sorry.

Legend
Legend
Now that TO is free to sign with any team, just for the pure entertainment value, I'm hoping he signs with Tampa Bay. TO's ego vs KWII's ego could make for a great reality tv show.

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Re-Signs with Browns
by Site Staff of theOBR.com, March 6, 2009 at 6:43pm ET

Syndric Steptoe Profile

WR Syndric Steptoe, an exclusive-rights free agent has re-signed with the Browns.

Go Browns!!!
S
2nd String
2nd String
S
Resigning Stubtoe definitely gets us into the playoffs!

Hope springs eternal in the heart of a true Browns fan. GO BROWNS!!!!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

You can argue his skills or lack of all day long, but in the end he showed more guts than our number 1 and our great free agent P/U all year.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Wouldn't be surprised if he was traded as well...

Pontibrand (sp) is maybe the best long snapper in the league... and he's young and under contract.. Mangini isn't an idiot....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Mangini isn't an idiot....

Whoa, there big fella.....Let's not rush to judgement........

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
All Pro
All Pro
Well, IMO....while K2 may have been a "cancer" as you say, he was still a top 5 "receiving" TE in the league.....so when you say a upgrade at TE, I guess it all depends on what you want out of him....and if in fact we are trying to become a power running team, then getting Royal probably was an upgrade...but letting Jones go was a mistake. we already have numerous holes to fill, and I don't think creating more was the smartest thing that we could have done right now. Don't get me wrong, I definitely think we can upgrade Jones, but now we are gonna have to use a draft pick to replace him....or sign a FA.....and the only FA's available are no better than Jones. I think if we would have upgraded the talent around him, he could have been a better player. I have seen a lot of posts blasting him for his playcalling...or lack of.....It's hard to cover WR's for 5 seconds no matter who you are.....

[Linked Image]
"Winning is not a some time thing, it's an all the time thing" ....-Lombardi-
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Whoa, there big fella.....Let's not rush to judgement........

Ok Ok Otto,, you are right, that was a rush to judgement and I shouldn't have done that

I should have said, I can't think of any head coach that wouldn't want to find a way to keep Ponti on the team..... Maybe that's better

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
adams played pretty consistant when giving the chance.....where jones was either hot or cold

#brownsgoodkarma
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

You can argue his skills or lack of all day long, but in the end he showed more guts than our number 1 and our great free agent P/U all year.

Took the words right off of my fingertips,...

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Good Lord... the guy showed absolutely NOTHING all season long. He barely saw the field and his two most memorable plays were a 51-yard reception against the Jags (good) and coughing up the football at home in the second Ravens game (not so good).

I get the frustration with BE and Dainty... I really do. However, let's not be idiotic about it.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Quote:

Good Lord... the guy showed absolutely NOTHING all season long. He barely saw the field and his two most memorable plays were a 51-yard reception against the Jags (good) and coughing up the football at home in the second Ravens game (not so good).

I get the frustration with BE and Dainty... I really do. However, let's not be idiotic about it.

Considering he's a very late draft pick that was thrown in because of injuries. I don't think he did that bad, if he had great skills he wouldn't of been the last draft pick of the browns that year. He certainly showed more heart then edwards. I went to houston game and watched edwards jog routes and quit all day. 'Toe will never be jerry rice, but at least he didn't quit.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
C
Poser
Poser
C
Roscoe, when I say upgrade at TE, I am referring to overall play, not just receiving. A TE must do more than catch passes. Sure, you lose some receptions, but you gain blocking, lining up correctly, and (the biggest) you lose a cancer in the locker room. You can take it or leave it, but K2 was despised in the lockerroom. His constant bravado about his receptions (before his Pro Bowl last year) hit alot of raw nerves and when people replied for him to worry about his blocking and not Hawaii, K2 would go on a tirade. He was all about K2, not about the team no matter what he said publicly.

As for Jones, as I said, I liked picking him. His knee injuries have slowed him. We can make the (somewhat valid) excuse that there was no pass rush. However, even with a pass rush, Jones' coverage skills were poor and too many times the secondary was not alligned properly.

Also, someone asked about Poole doing the calls. Russell made the calls prior because of his experience and knowledge. When he left, those duties went to Jones.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I've loved the handling of this FA market by Kokinis and Mangini.

The trade of KW2...excellent.

The signing of Adams - not for much had some decent starts for us was misused as a Nickel CB and looked bad in that role. Had many roles on Special Teams. A good Bottom of the barrel player.

The not signing of Jones. HotBTurk...sorry man but I was so hot on Jones as a rookie he was my favorite (not Winslow) of that draft. And then Northcutt in a 7 on 7 drill dove for an overthrown ball as Jones was running in looking at the ball to INT it and they were in Shorts and Helmets. Northcutt's helmet went into his knee! The rest was down hill from there

As was noted in another thread I'm sure stud Safety is in our draft future. I know I was hot on Taylor Mays after the Rose Bowl for our #5 pick. Question has to be asked...is Jenkins a #5 FS - we know he isn't a #5 worthy CB.

Back to FAgency....Mosley good young budding DE.

TE Royal - solid all around player what I feel is needed for a good balanced defense. When you have a TE who is proficient in only one part of the game...it becomes easier for Defenses to look for tendencies. Royal, Heiden and hopefully Rucker will all be balanced TE's so that Defenses can't ASSume run or pass. Better for the flow of the Offense evident by our KW2 less Offense against the Giants.

Didn't we also sign a LB already??? And I know we got a shot Bowan and Barton of the Jets. Both are fine additions.

JMHO - I like this 2nd tier format...its what the Pats did to become a DYNASTY!!! They didn't make big moves in FA until after they won Championships!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I think if we would have upgraded the talent around him, he could have been a better player.

This is said about every player this team gets rid of. Jones IMO was a average safety, he will be replaced and it won't be hard.

Many seem to think that the staff would let him go with no plan...coughottocough...I find that rediculous.These guys are professionals, just because we as fans don't know their plan doesn't mean they don't have one. For the Eagles to sign him to a 1 year deal says something ain't right woth him. Maybe his knee is a problem, maybe while looking at film they noticed something. Either way, if he was as good as many claim him to be, he would have done better than a 1 year deal.

#gmstrong
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
well Eo, your assesments are always a reality check. thank you! Because I was seriously starting to wonder what in the hell Kokinis and Mangini were doing. K2 being traded I understand, all about the injuries vs. large money he'd be demanding. However, I am a little confused on Jones, I've not noticed any knee problems prior to last season, so, I really thought they'd resign him at least for a few more seasons until they find a better upgrade in the draft. Also thought they might have eyes on somebody in FA, e.g. Gibril Wilson but that didn't happen either. So I'm not sure what they're going to do about that position but there's still so many to fill that I see this upcoming season as no better than 8-8 if they make that.

[Linked Image from i89.photobucket.com]
C
Legend
Legend
C
T.O. signs with Bills.

Link

Quote:

The Buffalo Bills and free agent wide receiver Terrell Owens have reached agreement on a one-year contract. There will be a press conference at 6:15 p.m. ET at the team’s headquarters.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I just saw that too. More than anything I'm glad he's not in our division. I thought Baltimore might take a flyer at him. With Ray Ray as a leader running the show I thought they'd see if TO could push them over the top on offense.
Say what you will about his disruptive nature he's still a damn good receiver. Typically his personality becomes an issue year two with a new team. Buffalo just got better. A one year contract may help keep TO a good boy knowing the spotlight is on him if he wants to continue to play ball after 2009.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Portland I beleive you are correct about the one year thing... First year in Philly,, went great...second was a mess.. 1st year in Dallas was great,, after that, it was a steady build up to him being a jerk again...

Buffalo will get maybe one good year... But I don't think they are good enough for him to make a significant difference in one year. To me, that makes him not worthwhile.. but that's just me

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
I don't understand why people continually threw out Baltimore as a destination for T.O.

He royally spit in their face a few years back...I mean, upended their plans so badly that the league had to come in and clear up the mess.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I feel bad for Trent Edwards.

C
Legend
Legend
C
We do play at Buffalo this year by the way.

H
1st String
1st String
H
i thought this should go here.

web page

Linebacker David Bowens leaning towards Browns over Ne York Jets
by Dave Hutchinson
Saturday March 07, 2009, 5:51 PM

Barring an 11th-hour change of heart, linebacker David Bowens is expected to sign with the Cleveland Browns in the coming days, according to a person with knowledge of Bowens' thinking. That person spoke on the condition of anonymity because he's not authorized to speak for Bowens.

The Jets, who released Bowens last month in a move that wiped his $2 million base salary off the books, are interested in re-signing him at a lower salary and are vying with the Browns for his services.

But Bowens, a 10-year veteran, is said to ``love'' playing for Eric Mangini and will likely select the Browns over the Jets.

Bowens, who spent two seasons with the Jets, was a valuable backup and special teams ace. Last season, he stepped in for an injured David Harris and did an outstanding job. He finished with 40 tackles, four sacks and an interception in 16 games, five starts.

All Pro
All Pro
Don't get me wrong, I agree with trading K2. I think in Cleveland, with the weather we have, we need to be more of a power running team...but depending on what kind of "O" package you run, K2 would be an ideal TE in let's say a west coast style of "O"....and yeah, he seemed to have some mental issues....I didn't see so much of it in the locker room as I did with him and his personal life...(motorcycles...public speaking..and who could forget his military background (being a "soldier".... ...)etc...etc

As for the Jones signing.....this was the 2nd move that really puzzled me about Mangini...the 1st being not trying for Lito Sheppard....IMO, I really think that we should have kept Jones...if for nothing else, he could have supplied some depth, which we so desperately need.....the way I see it, Jones is as good as, if not better than everything else left in FA. So that means one of two things, either we are gonna end up drafting one in the draft (Jenkins maybe), or we are gonna run with Adams and Pool.....either case, still not as good as having Jones back there.....so just another thing to add to the "Honey Do" list....again, this is all just my two cents worth.....

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think Pool/Adams is as good as having Jones back there. Just my opinion. It's not my opinion that Jones sucks. I wish him well.

Quote:

As for the Jones signing.....this was the 2nd move that really puzzled me about Mangini...the 1st being not trying for Lito Sheppard...

As far as keeping Jones for depth I'm sure Jones expected to start here. If he knew he might be destined to backup he'd likely rather sign elsewhere where he'd have a greater chance to start.

And do we know Mangini did not try for Lito Sheppard? Personally I think Sheppard is over-rated as, if I remember correctly, he didn't get much interest last season when he was dangled after he was replaced as a starter. Maybe the asking price was too high for the Browns. Maybe he isn't a good fit here in this defense.

I think sometimes we hear "big" names and attribute them with more value then they actually have.

#gmstrong
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
How could he love playing for Mangini? He is the worst coach ever and nobody likes him, and doesn't give preferential treatment to certain players, this must be a joke.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I was thinking the same thing.

It has to be a miss print or something.....

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
All Pro
All Pro

Quote:

And do we know Mangini did not try for Lito Sheppard? Personally I think Sheppard is over-rated as, if I remember correctly, he didn't get much interest last season when he was dangled after he was replaced as a starter. Maybe the asking price was too high for the Browns. Maybe he isn't a good fit here in this defense.

To be honest with you.... no, we don't know for sure...at least I don't anyways..but for what they gave for him...a 5th round pick and a conditional 2010 pick....(not sure what that means)...but Lito was a pro-bowl DB just a few years back, and with the signing of Asante Samual, left him to nickel duties...I can assure you that if I'm the coach of the Browns, I would take that chance.....

Quote:

I think sometimes we hear "big" names and attribute them with more value then they actually have.

I really don't think that Lito was a "big" name player, it's more that the Eagles were really deep at DB...with Sheldon and Asante, it would be hard to beat them out of a starting job....and being that we have no one in our secondary that is close to being that calibur of a player, I just thought we could have bolstered our secondary by only giving a 5th round pick.....well, since we don't have one, I would have gave our 4th even for him....call me crazy, but a 4th round pick for a potential pro-bowl DB, I'll take it every time.....but then again, maybe that is why I'm not the GM of the Browns......

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think Pool/Adams is as good as having Jones back there.

It isn't good enough IMO. Pool might be an upgrade over Jones but I don't see Adams being as good as Pool at FS. Adams is also very undersized at either safety position. It's my opinion that we are looking for a starting FS in the draft.

Quote:

As far as keeping Jones for depth I'm sure Jones expected to start here. If he knew he might be destined to backup he'd likely rather sign elsewhere where he'd have a greater chance to start.

He got 3 mil for a one year contract? He is definetely looking to be a starter, and a well paid one at that. He couldn't get the money he was looking for in a multi year deal (from a report in the Jones thread) so he is having a tryout year.

Quote:

At point we don't know anything for sure. My opinion is Mangini is unwilling to give up any draft picks, making it impossible to get Lito.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum FREE AGENT SIGNINGS PART DEUX

Link Copied to Clipboard