Page 1 of 2 1 2
#362309 03/06/09 06:51 PM
J
Joe88 Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
J
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/entry/view/17930/browns_sign_defensive_lineman

The Browns have come to terms with Jets free-agent defensive lineman C.J. Mosley, agreeing to a two-year, $5 million deal.

It includes a $1.5 million signing bonus and $2 million guaranteed.

Mosley played for new Browns coach Eric Mangini in New York from 2006-08. At 6-foot-2 and 302 pounds, he was a valuable reserve and spot starter for the Jets, and will continue to play as a 3-4 end in Mangini's system.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Does this mean the end of Shaun and/or Robaire Smith?

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
apparently . . .

Quote:

will continue to play as a 3-4 end in Mangini's system

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
This offseason is ALL about filling out the back-end of the roster.

The back end is what wins games.

Legend
Legend
I hope when he gets to Berea he first introduces himself to Rogers as the guy who will be playing beside him...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Maybe he can convince Eric Barton to come here as well. Barton would be a solid MLB for us IMO.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't think so. He is a rotational end who has had success getting to the QB.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Here are his stats...

C.J. Mosley, ProFootballReference.com

Obviously he is a guy that can fill in for half a game or maybe a full game if someone is injured. Also, depth for when players need to take a breather on the sideline.

I am not against signing lesser known free agents for cheap depth, especially if our they know our coach and our system.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Not really. Mosley has yet to play a full season and seemed to see more playing time when he was younger. A couple starts here and there. In 4 seasons he played in 44 games and started a hand full of times.

$2.5 million is a big amount for someone who averages about a tackle a game. Seems like another Shaun Smith signing. But Smith can play backup NT, so he wont take his spot. I dont think he will take Robaire Smiths roster spot because he is the best DE the Browns have had since switching to the 3-4. Thats not saying much considering McKinnley is probabley the 2nd best. Corey Williams has yet to grasp and play a key role in the 3-4. But I thought McKinnley did well and wished he was re-signed. I thought he needed upgraded but he did make some plays and block some FGs. He signed somewhere else for backup money so he would have been a better signing then Shaun Smith IMO. Robair was injured last year and he might have been one of the vets the Browns were trying to renogotiate with.

I would be happy with this signing if Mosley can contribute more to this team then Adams and Royal. I was happier with those pickups and they signed for less. I think this is another plug-in signing so the team can focus on filling bigger needs in the draft. Not having to use a mid to late round pick to fill the d-line with depth. They already know the players they signed capabilities over a mid to late round pick and can use the veterans to step in. So this wont be a team that has to rely on later round picks to come in and contribute immediately due to injury, like most teams we had to watch since 99'. Mosley will probabley be an upgrade over Savages late round d-lineman picks.

J
Joe88 Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
J
Official Press release

BROWNS SIGN C.J. MOSLEY

The Cleveland Browns have announced the signing of defensive lineman C.J. Mosley.

Mosley played the last three seasons with the New York Jets under new Browns Head Coach Eric Mangini and several of his assistants. He brings four years of total NFL experience to the Browns.

He entered the league as a sixth-round draft choice of the Minnesota Vikings in 2005 after playing his college football in his home state at the University of Missouri. Mosley was traded to the Jets during training camp in 2006 and played 35 games over the last three years for the Jets, making three starts and recording five sacks.

β€œC.J. adds another piece to the defensive puzzle,” said Browns General Manager George Kokinis. β€œHe is a competitive defensive lineman that runs to the football and will fit in well with the players in that group.”

He had his best statistical season with the Jets in 2008, when he recorded 17 total tackles, 1.5 sacks and 2 PBU.

He had 15 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 2007, and he had 7 tackles and 1 sack in just five games in 2006. He had a career-high 19 tackles and 3 sacks as a rookie with the Vikings.

J
Joe88 Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
J
And those idiots at the plaindealer haven't even announced the signing as of yet.

W
2nd String
2nd String
W
Are we becoming the Broncos for the Jets? It seems to me that Mangenious is only interested in his scrubs from his old team! JMHO Go Brownies!!!

Who Let Da Dawgs Out? Woof, Woof, Woof!!!!!
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

Are we becoming the Broncos for the Jets? It seems to me that Mangenious is only interested in his scrubs from his old team! JMHO Go Brownies!!!

So far we have signed one former Mangini Jet, I don't think that qualifies as becoming like the browncos. Now if we get 3 or 4 then perhaps that case could be made.

This was a nice depth signing. It does not spell the end of either Smith, unless we draft someone, or sign another FA close to or for more $$$. I'd say it puts a nail in Louis Leonards' time (doubtful that it impacts Rubin).

Just fyi, to all, Igor Olshansky signed with Dallas (nfl.com), he would have been someone I would have liked to sign with Cleveland. I don't see too many other FA's out there that would challenge our current roster on the DL.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
C
Poser
Poser
C
Don't look at he numbers on his contract except for what's guaranteed and that's $2 million for a 2 year deal. Relatively inexpensive depth.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

This offseason is ALL about filling out the back-end of the roster.

The back end is what wins games.

Tell that too Jerome Harrison... lmao..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He is more expensive than D.Evans cause heΒ΄s 3 years younger and has more "upside", which is a nice way to say heΒ΄s worse...would have loved Evans but am ok with this signing

C
Poser
Poser
C
No, it's a nice way of saying he can still improve. He will also already know the system and that is another plus for him.

M
MBL Offline
Rookie
Rookie
M
I'm pretty happy with this signing.
My brother is a huge Vikings fan and so I tend to follow Minnesota almost as closely as the Browns (through him). I remember this guy coming out of Mizzou his rookie year for Minnesota and he was blowing people up. The type of guy that plays with a serious edge.

I'm seeing a lot of mention of him playing on the edge, but from what I remember, he was more of a 2-gap/NT type. He was a hoss that clogged the middle.

I've sort of lost track of him over the last two years after he moved to NY, but if he is still the same player he was in 2005 when he was with the Vikings, I think Browns fans will be pleased.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
ItΒ΄s easy Coach....Evans would be > than Smith+Smith (think a younger and healthier R.Smith-like R.Smith when we signed him)....and UPGRADE for 2009, Mosley though? DonΒ΄t get me wrong...I wanted Mosley as depth when I saw the FA list but when Evans got cut, he was #1...looking at how cheap the 49ers got him still bugs me

Looks like that disqualifies any early DL investment in the draft...I guess: Williams-Rogers-Smith/Smith with Rubin and Mosley...thatΒ΄s 6...then thereΒ΄s Leonard who will probably battle 5 late round/UDFA rookies for the last spot...but you never know, maybe they cut Robaire later? and then a guy like Evander Hood or Gilbert is there in the 2nd?...I still hope we go BPA with our entire draft

Also: I have a conflicting profile on Mosley coming out of College...itΒ΄s not free stuff, so I canΒ΄t post but it basically questions his work ethic and technique, saying he (was) too raw and probably needs time...his big pros are that heΒ΄s strong and athletic for a big guy and heΒ΄s desruptive...sounds like a poor manΒ΄s Rogers imho...sounds like a guy to bring in at DE (or NT) on obvious passing downs to improve our rush-DL

C
Poser
Poser
C
Smith & Smith are not something we need to improve on right now to get better. If we had all of our defense revamped, then I would agree. We don't and ther are other needs to fill with those dollars and picks.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Evans was cheaper than Mosley (and R.Smith btw), thatΒ΄s my point...and he can play 3 downs and is strong against the run....Mosley is more of a role player and probably stronger in pass situation...cutting 1 of the SmithΒ΄s and getting both those guys would have been the best move imho because it would have upgraded 1 DE spot on all 3 downs

C
Poser
Poser
C
I thought Evans went for more, my bad, but he is older so we can get more years this way in theory. Also, I would guess the pass rush would have played into it as well.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C

I like the signing, gives us some depth at DE behind Williams and the 2 Smiths.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Signing a FA at this position was important. CJ was speculated as soon as FA started. Need players to rotate and R Smith is a ?? Anybody hear how his recovery is going?

H
1st String
1st String
H
edit, I realized that article had already been posted. sorry

Last edited by hungryhound; 03/07/09 12:11 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I hope when he gets to Berea he first introduces himself to Rogers as the guy who will be playing beside him...

I thought that was pretty funny,....

E
Legend
Legend
E
Well Robaire is coming off of that Achilles Tendon Injury...not sure if it was just damage which then I think he can make a serious comeback. Or was it a complete Rupture (the usual w/Achilles Tendon injury) in that case his comeback might not be expected as many before him have ended their careers on that injury.

And probably why we just didn't unload Shaun and are giving him a 2nd chance.

Mosley will be good for our Rotation with Shaun n Corey. This could spell the end of Robaire - we'll see how he is in Camp. Or Louis Leonard who still is raw but showed some hope.

He still is a kid and might be the perfect Rags to Riches 3-4 DE we see all the time. Very good pick up for us!

2nd tier money and makes our team better.

One Jet down - two to go

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

And probably why we just didn't unload Shaun and are giving him a 2nd chance.

Or maybe we still don't know the full story.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'm a little worried about this. I liked all of our linemen... Rodgers, Smith^2, Williams, Rubin... even Leonard was serviceable from time to time and relatively cheap. I wonder which one is on the way out?

I just hope that ManKok knows as well as everyone else that our problems on D start and end with LB personnel and overall scheme.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Im sure Koke knows more about this team (by now) than any of us yahoos on here know.

Now if you guys think we are gonna go on a spending spree in FA to fill all the holes and do it by addressing the biggest problem first....you guys are in for a bumpy ride.

We still have a draft (and in case you guys havent figured this out..we are gonna build through the draft with this FO) and then another FA period and we are not gonna hit all the areas of need THIS year.

Sorry!!!!

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Legend
Legend
Well, I haven't seen him play much that I remember, but my skull is old. But thinking while tapping here, does this mean . . . could it be . . . GASP!?! . . . that we might attack people with a blitz and pressure package. I might enjoy watching the D again if the 'Ginni lets 'em out to play on D. REAL concerned about MLB though.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Not wallowing in ecstasy, but seems like a solid rotation, and that can't hurt the players on D. Priority should be getting em off the field. Our malignant offense certainly kept them out there last year a good eal of the time.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Curious to see how the Smith and Smith situation plays out ?? Can Robo make it back and will the Coaching staff want big mouth back ?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Im sure Koke knows more about this team (by now) than any of us yahoos on here know.

Yes he does. The thing is they aren't always right.

Quote:

Now if you guys think we are gonna go on a spending spree in FA to fill all the holes and do it by addressing the biggest problem first....you guys are in for a bumpy ride.

I think most on here do not expect us to go on a spending spree. I think we need to have people penciled in at every position. We can't rely on the draft to fill all of our starting needs. We don't need to bring in stars at every position but we need players who are capable of starting. I don't think that Williams/Bell or Hall should be starting from what I saw last year. I would like to see those two spots filled with people who can start if we can't get get a rookie up to speed. Maybe Mangini has seen enough from Williams to think he can start. If so that makes one position not so important.

I would like to see us bring in an experienced corner. Right now it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot left. Sure we can draft one but I would like to see someone with more than two years experience. Adams can play nickel or dime, if he is not starting at safety. I can handle him starting this year if needed but we will still need a backup.

I've just covered the defense. We need receivers and a backup RB as well. We have only three picks in the first 3 rounds. Those are the only picks that we can hope to find starters. We might get lucky with our 4th and find someone who can spot start if needed.

I don't think we need to fill every hole this year to be successful. I feel we need two LBs and a 3rd receiver that are at least average starters.

Some of the depth positions can be signed later. Some of our FA can be resigned (like Friedman and McKinney) that will shore up the back end. The thing is I'm not privy to what Mangini thinks so I'm looking at what we have right now.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I got a crazy feeling that there are going to be some draft day moves that are not expected. I have no idea what they are, but IMO something is brewing.

DA is a good bet, but what he will bring is the question. I don't think Edwards is going anywhere, so I'd hitch my wagon to DA.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think he will go LB, O-line, and most likely safety now.

Now we have another hole to fill..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
DG Offline
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Shaun Smith seems to be the one we will lose. Robaire was good and Williams and Rodgers and RUbin at least made some plays. Shaun was invisible...I don't remember his name being called and he was a locker room problem.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Shaun Smith seems to be the one we will lose. Robaire was good and Williams and Rodgers and RUbin at least made some plays. Shaun was invisible...I don't remember his name being called and he was a locker room problem.

And " Rogers " at least made some plays .. Your kidding, Right ???

S
Legend
Legend
S
rizz just called in on roda and said the browns just signed hank poteat, former cb for the jets.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

rizz just called in on roda and said the browns just signed hank poteat, former cb for the jets.

It's confirmed on the Browns website too.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/article.php?id=9453

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign CJ Mosley

Link Copied to Clipboard