Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#367781 03/20/09 03:09 PM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Hi refs, I´d like to know why my "32 GMs mock" has been removed....what´s the problem? was it re-moved altogether? If so why? I haven´t seen it in another fourm

I had this thread now for 3-4 years leading up to the draft and it was pretty popular, why does it get deleted now

and yes, Im a little POed

R
Administrator
Administrator
R
I deleted it twice today because the second word in your thread was masked profanity, which is clearly against the rules. That's as far as I read, two words.

Yes, I could have cleaned it up, or yes, I could have sent you a PM, but a blatant disregard for rules calls for little courtesy. That may sound harsh, but it is what it is: simple posting courtesy.

In addition, I deleted your blog post in the Pure Football forum as we don't allow blogs unless they are by legitimate writers.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Referee1 #367783 03/20/09 03:16 PM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
great, thanks..so I didn´t forget it to post the 1st time around...I re-typed everything again and as you saw, it wasn´t little...a little advice and I would have removed the "word"....thanks again, I just wasted 1 hour of my life

R
Administrator
Administrator
R
Quote:

a little advice and I would have removed the "word"....thanks again, I just wasted 1 hour of my life

As I already said, posting courtesy works both ways.

Masked profanity is one of the simplest rules to follow and that went out the window with the second word of your post.

Referee1 #367785 03/21/09 08:06 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

a little advice and I would have removed the "word"....thanks again, I just wasted 1 hour of my life

As I already said, posting courtesy works both ways.

Masked profanity is one of the simplest rules to follow and that went out the window with the second word of your post.

I think you did a nice job of explaining to him why his thread was deleted.

Just for informations sake can we clarify a bit what is considered masked profanity? For example is using a sound alike word considered masked profanity? Like saying snit instead of.. well you know. Or is just this; %#&^ considered masked profanity? How about Snoop Dawg talk? Fo Snizzle my Nizzle, if said the right way there is a word there that would be unacceptable.

Just curious. I dont want to say any bad words for Deepthreats virgin ears

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Referee1 #367786 03/21/09 08:08 AM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
It was obviously part of an entrance joke....given the amount written, a simple PM advice would have done the trick. Also, since everyone can use words like ass etc around here I thought it´s not a big deal....I know why Americans are by far #1 in cursing....it´s because their so double-faced about it...it´s ok in every day life but not on a football message board...aaaalright....you guys are really a funny bunch...NOT

All Pro
All Pro
ya know, one might think that if you had this real big article that got deleted cause of "one word", that when you sat there and re-typed it, you might consider leaving that word out the second time around...just for safty sake....just a thought.......

[Linked Image]
"Winning is not a some time thing, it's an all the time thing" ....-Lombardi-
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
I thought I never posted it the 1st time around (see 1st post here) cause I got timed out and had to open another window, c/p it etc..and then I closed some windows cause my PC went bananas....that´s why I´m so POed about it...I NEVER got this automatic PN saying my thread was removed the 1st time around...so I thought it was my mistake closing the wrong tab before posting it...and I re-typed it again...I had no clue it was deleted the 1st time around...and I never got a message, the 2nd time I got 1 but it didn´t say why it was deleted....I didn´t know WHAT the problem IS until I opened this thread here..all for sayin "same ..., different year"

I apologize for not knowing that "ass" is allowed and "..." not...a word that is used in every 2nd sentence by an US citizen btw....hilarious

I could have been more aware but the ref sure didn´t help the matter communicating it

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I apologize for not knowing that "ass" is allowed

Ass is not allowed?...since when?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #367790 03/21/09 09:26 AM
R
Administrator
Administrator
R
Ass is allowed, and that was not the word in question.

I'm not sure where the confusion lies; if you use other letters or characters in order to form a "curse" word, or use a manner in which to infer such a word then you are masking profanity.

CHIT
$hit
f**king
effing
d!ckhead

To name a few.

It's pretty simpe and again I don't understand why anyone would have difficulty understanding this.

Referee1 #367791 03/23/09 12:16 AM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

CHIT
$hit
f**king
effing
d!ckhead

Does "ish" fall into this category. Cuz it implies a curse word, but it doesn't resemble or form a curse word. And I use that often.

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
R
Administrator
Administrator
R
To everyone...

To get to the bottom line of the whole issue, ask yourself how important and necessary cuss words are in order for you to make your point.

Cannot our points and opinions be satisfactorily expressed without them?

The arguement seems to be that since we are mature adults we should be allowed to express ourselves in an immature and adolescent manner.

Referee1 #367793 03/23/09 08:22 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ref 1 is going to banned camp!

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Referee6 #367794 03/23/09 10:23 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
So I am allowed to say, "some ish like that," as long as it doesn't resemble, or form some curse word?

I just want to be sure so I am not harassed in the future.

Steeler
Steeler
Umm, what are you talking about?

Referee6 #367796 03/24/09 12:35 PM
Legend
Legend
We accomplish enough of that without cussing,...

The Refs do a dadgummit great job,...they leave me alone.

R
Administrator
Administrator
R
Quote:

So I am allowed to say, "some ish like that," as long as it doesn't resemble, or form some curse word?

I just want to be sure so I am not harassed in the future.

I'll keep it simple, no you are not allowed.

Referee1 #367798 03/24/09 04:31 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Serious question, because I have used this one before and it's borderline I guess-

"Cheese 'n rice?"

Is that considered masking?

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
JMO, I wouldn't think so because I don't think Jesus Christ is considered profanity, even when used as an exclamation. But, I could be wrong about that.

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
R
Administrator
Administrator
R
Quote:

... I wouldn't think so because I don't think Jesus Christ is considered profanity, even when used as an exclamation. But, I could be wrong about that.

It's considered using the Lords name in vain which the Bible commands us not to do. If one does not believe in the Bible it is still considered using the Lord's name in vain and the Bible still commands us not to do it. But that has nothing to do with the rules or the spirit of the rules.

Since it is only used in one of two ways i.e. talking about Jesus or using it as a cuss word, then it's use defines it's intent. If the intent is to cuss, then if it were solely up to me, I would disallow it. But that's just my own opinion .

To the others who are asking for a ruling on their pet form of profanity...

Why this burning desire to get your favorite cuss word/masked profanity validated?

This should make it simple:

If it's a cuss word/psudo cuss word to you and you are using it as a cuss word/psudo cuss word on the board then it is not allowed.

If you have a question as to the validity of it's use on this board then it is not allowed.

If you can't make a point or make your emotions clear without cuss words, psudo cuss words or masked profanity stop and think about it a moment and you'll find that you can.

Referee6 #367801 03/24/09 07:32 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

It's considered using the Lords name in vain which the Bible commands us not to do. If one does not believe in the Bible it is still considered using the Lord's name in vain and the Bible still commands us not to do it. But that has nothing to do with the rules or the spirit of the rules. Since it is only used in one of two ways i.e. talking about Jesus or using it as a cuss word, then it's use defines it's intent. If the intent is to cuss then, IMO, I would say it's not allowed.

Why this burning desire to get your favorite cuss word/masked profanity validated?

If it's a cuss word/psudo cuss word to you and you are using it as a cuss word/psudo cuss word on the board then it is not allowed.

If you have a question as to the validity of it's use on this board then it is not allowed.

If you can't make a point or make your emotions clear without cuss words, psudo cuss words or masked profanity stop and think about it a moment and you'll find that you can.

It would be nice if those standards were applied across the board. However, they aren't, unfortunately.

Referee6 #367802 03/24/09 08:15 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not trying to get my "pet" cuss word validated. I know I've used it in the past on here without incident. Whether is was because it wasn't seen by a ref, or it wasn't a big deal was the question.

I don't typically use it in a normal post, but when you're in a game thread during the game, or in a thread while watching the Cavs/Tribe as well, sometimes your emotions get going. Therefore you get a little upset. It's not like I go around posting in your average discussion thread "Cheese n rice! You don't know a damn thing about NFL football."

Just a question. Simple answers are fine. No need for a religious lecture or multiple paragraphs on it. That is what this forum is for, right?

So basically no masked profanity or anything that sounds close to profanity. Except ass. Apparently that is allowed.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

No need for a religious lecture or multiple paragraphs on it.

Amen. That kind of ticked me off, too, and I would never use that phrase on this board.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

It's considered using the Lords name in vain which the Bible commands us not to do. If one does not believe in the Bible it is still considered using the Lord's name in vain and the Bible still commands us not to do it. But that has nothing to do with the rules or the spirit of the rules. Since it is only used in one of two ways i.e. talking about Jesus or using it as a cuss word, then it's use defines it's intent. If the intent is to cuss then, IMO, I would say it's not allowed.

It would be nice if those standards were applied across the board. However, they aren't, unfortunately.

Boy if that ain't the unadulterated truth,...because I know for a fact, some of my own INTENTIONALLY flagrant masked attempts have not been deleted because I pimped them off someone else's,.....i.e. 'effin,...gal durn,....SOB, ASSume, gashdummit,....why are ANY of these "allowed?"

R
Administrator
Administrator
R
Quote:

Simple answers are fine. No need for a religious lecture or multiple paragraphs on it.

First, it wasn't a religious lecture. It was in answer to BrownsBabe on whether or not it was considered profantity. Your name isn't considered profantity either, but if it became the habit of the population to use it as such then it would take on an entirely different connotation than simply what we call you.

The Bible was mentioned because THAT is the sole source of where we ALL, (me, you, and you too Michelle), get the idea that using it in that manner is wrong. If the Bible hadn't already brought it up then none of us would even question the rightness or wrongness of it. None of us.

Secondly, as for multiple paragraphs, so far simple answers have only resulted in yet another question on whether or not this or that word is allowed.

Quote:

So basically no masked profanity or anything that sounds close to profanity.

I wish I'd have thought of that. Much better than multiple paragraphs.

Referee6 #367806 03/25/09 07:18 AM
Legend
Legend
I'll just say that I disagree with saying that "Jesus Christ" is a punishable profanity. I'm not in charge of the boards, so it's not really up to me. But I just disagree. I have friends who are Jewish who say it all the time because to them, it's really just another name.

But, I'm not in charge, so I don't really have much say in the matter.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'll just say that I disagree with saying that "Jesus Christ" is a punishable profanity. I'm not in charge of the boards, so it's not really up to me. But I just disagree. I have friends who are Jewish who say it all the time because to them, it's really just another name.

But, I'm not in charge, so I don't really have much say in the matter.

I respectfully disagree,...because the manner that the words are used in are not normally or fully determinable over a keyboard. Generally, when used, "JC" is a replacement for other select offensive language. That makes its use offensive to some select people. However, it is hilarious to hear someone use " J,...'H'... C " in a funny or humorous situation (mother-in-law in partcular,.... ), like when you're out at the comedy club, etc.

It's all a matter of perception, so erring on the side of the Ref's here is no problem for me. I don't use it on the Board, but not because of fear of retribution,....to me it is inappropriate, so I refrain.

Steeler
Steeler
Quote:

I have friends who are Jewish who say it all the time because to them, it's really just another name.

Yes, but we are only catering to Christians here obviously.

Oh, and this apparently would also mean that we're not allowed to use the phrase "Oh God!", or "Oh sweet Jesus!" or "Oh my God", or "dear Lord!".....which would also include the usage of the acronym "OMG".

(and before you say it ref, yes these are all considered to be taking the Lord's name in vain according to the strictest of translations....or are we not being that strict?) :-)

Referee6 #367809 03/25/09 08:20 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ding Ding Ding,,,, Ref6 has hit the jackpot with that question.. what's the big deal,,,

Use some common sense here. if it's a swear word and you are unsure if it's acceptable under the rules as they exist, find another word to use.

Example: Damn or darn.. if you were wondering if Damn was acceptable, then it's rather simple, use Darn. everyone knows what you meant but it's certainly not objectionable...

Or how about Oh Shoot! Same thing.

I'm having a hard time wondering, like Ref6 seems to be, why it's a big deal to use a different word to replace another word.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
Administrator
Administrator
R
Quote:

I'll just say that I disagree with saying that "Jesus Christ" is a punishable profanity. I'm not in charge of the boards, so it's not really up to me. But I just disagree.

I never said that.

I'm not in charge of the board either. I work from a consensus of the Refs as we interpret the rules. One of them largely wrote those rules.

In that single paragraph, I was talking to BrownsBabe. I separately addressed, "the others", right after that. So nothing addressed to her statements, which I quoted, had anything to do with anyone else or how the Refs, as a consensus, interpret and enforse the rules.

As I was answering to BrownsBabe's comment I clearly stated that the Bible commands has nothing to do with the rules or the spirit of the rules. I also said that "IMO I would say it's not allowed". IMO=In My Opinion. I later edited that in an effort to make it even more clear. (The original is in archbolddawg's post.)

Although you are not the only one to misinterpret my statements, and I likely could have made myself much clearer in the first place, I think sometimes, some people see the word "Lord" or "Bible" and are immediately up in arms without paying much attention to what was actually said.

Referee6 #367811 03/25/09 08:57 AM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Since your response was to me, please allow me to respond with: Your response should merely have been "IMO, I would not allow it" I could have done without the Bible study class. As someone else said, if Jesus Christ wasn't permitted here, then neither should any itteration of God's name (as in OMG or Dear God).

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
christy #367812 03/25/09 09:52 AM
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
OMG
WTH
WTF
LMFAO
S.O.B.

are allowed within reason. Now if you say to another poster "Listen you S.O.B." your going to get the boot. However if we were to trade Joe Thomas for a 7th round draft choice and you replied S.O.B. thats fine.

Of course if we traded JT for a 7th round pick, most of us would have thrown our computers out the window already *L*

I see and hear everything. Now where did I put my white cane, and my hearing aid?
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Quote:

.i.e. 'effin,...gal durn,....SOB, ASSume, gashdummit,....why are ANY of these "allowed?"

effin is NOT allowed. All of the others are fine.

I see and hear everything. Now where did I put my white cane, and my hearing aid?
Referee2 #367814 03/25/09 10:29 AM
Steeler
Steeler
Just so that I and others have it straight once and for all...will using the phrase "Jesus Christ" get you banned? Yes or no?

Referee2 #367815 03/25/09 10:31 AM
Steeler
Steeler
Quote:

Quote:

.i.e. 'effin,...gal durn,....SOB, ASSume, gashdummit,....why are ANY of these "allowed?"

How can "effin" not be allowed, but WTF is? Both are variations of the F word.

christy #367816 03/25/09 10:45 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How can "effin" not be allowed, but WTF is? Both are variations of the F word.

Christy, refs....see, this is the problem, board members are not mind readers and what one ref may allow, another might not.

Best way to solve the problem...just list what is not allowed. Abbreviate when necessary but list the words that are not allowed....or....expand your software capability to block every word that is not allowed.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #367817 03/25/09 11:07 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

.just list what is not allowed.

That's completely absurd... it is impossible to account for all possibilities of what is NOT permitted.

What I can do is list for everyone what IS allowed:

Quote:

Use the words quoted there as substitutions for your favorite curse word - if you don't see it there, then I suggest that you find a different way of wording your sentence or conveying your message.

Referee2 #367818 03/25/09 12:46 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

effen is NOT allowed.

What if you are talking about the brand of vodka.

Legend
Legend
I don't care if you're talking about a brand of chicken. Stop worrying about trying to find the ways you can circumvent the rules.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Administrator
Administrator
R
We seem to be getting away from the spirit and intent of the original rule, and this is being abetted by questions of using "ish" and "cheese and rice."

Using ish in the manner in which was described is to use it in place of a curse word, and the connotation is still there so that is not allowed.

Cheese and rice is acceptable, especially when yoy you realize it's been written on this board and the prior board maybe 5 times in 10 years.

Fo shizzle my nizzle is allowed. All this phrase means is "I concur with you my african brother." It is accepted vernacular and again is not seen that often on hear to even be concerned with.

Quote:

It was obviously part of an entrance joke....given the amount written, a simple PM advice would have done the trick.

It does not matter one iota, it was blatantly masked profanity where you substituted an $ for an s to get around a word that is blocked by the word filter. You intentionally tried to circumvent the rules of the board by doing so, and your post was deleted as it is our "right" to do so.

The original intent was to keep profanity off of the forums. With the change in board ownership, the rules could be relaxed somewhat and they have been in many areas.

Quote:

I know why Americans are by far #1 in cursing....it´s because their so double-faced about it...it´s ok in every day life but not on a football message board

That's the thing---it's okay in everyday life if you know your audience and that they are okay with it. If you are in a public place (such as this forum) then it is NOT acceptable in a civilized society to utilize many of the words we see on here being masked; and just because you can use them on other message boards around the net is meaningless as well. The rule here is no profanity nor masked profanity and that is a very simple rule.

Posting this now but not done, just don't want the board to eat the reply.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fan Feedback Forum Thread "moved"

Link Copied to Clipboard