Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#374386 04/13/09 06:07 PM
1488 Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Fidrych, 54, dies in apparent accidentComment Email Print Share Associated Press

BOSTON -- Former All-Star pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych has been found dead in an apparent accident at his farm in Northborough, Massachusetts. He was 54.

Worcester County district attorney Joseph D. Early Jr. says a family friend found Fidrych about 2:30 p.m. Monday beneath a pickup truck. He appeared to be working on the truck, Early said.

The colorful right-hander was the American League rookie of the year in 1976 when he went 19-9 with a 2.34 earned run average. He spent all five of his major league seasons with the Detroit Tigers, compiling a 29-19 record and a 3.10 ERA.

His career was cut short by injuries.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Sad to see this. So young.

[Linked Image from img.villagephotos.com]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Its a little odd - Tom Hamilton and Mike Hegan were just talking about Fidrych on Saturday's Indians' broadcast ... Hamilton asked Hegan if Roy Halladay reminded him of any particular pitchers from the past ... Hegan said "Mark Fidrych". I hadn't heard his name or thought of him for about 20 years, and now, twice in 3 days. Hope he had made enough money to have a happy retirement, even if it was too short. Anyway, 54 is too young ... very sad ... RIP, Mark.

Legend
Legend
I gotta start taking it easy,...when it's younger than I am, that's too young

RIP "Bird".

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

I gotta start taking it easy,...when it's younger than I am, that's too young

I here ya there... RIP Bird...

nordawg

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum The Bird passes away.

Link Copied to Clipboard