|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368 |
Hugo Chavez Says Venezuelan Socialism Has Begun to Reach U.S. under Obama Tuesday, April 21, 2009 By Edwin Mora (CNSNews.com) - Inspired by his meeting with U.S. President Barack Obama at the Americas Summit, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez declared on Sunday that Venezuelan socialism has begun to reach the United States under the Obama administration. “I am coming back from Trinidad and Tobago, from the Americas Summit where, without a doubt, the position that Venezuela and its government has always defended, especially starting 10 years ago, of resistance, dignity, sovereignty and independence has obtained in Port of Spain, one of the biggest victories of our history,” Chavez said. “It would seem that the changes that started in Venezuela in the last decade of the 20th century have begun to reach North America,” he added. Chavez made the comments Sunday to a crowd gathered for the 199th Commemoration of the Independence Declaration of Venezuela. “In one year we will be celebrating 200 years of ‘April 19,’ the day that ... initiated this revolution that is underway 200 years later at the forefront of the people of our America, at the forefront of change, at the forefront of a new world, at the forefront of a new century that will construct Bolivarian socialism,” said Chavez. “Bolivarian socialism” is the term Chavez uses to refer to his 21st century Latin American form of socialism, which he claims originates from the revolution launched by Simon Bolivar, a Venezuelan and Latin American revolutionary leader of the 19th century. “We have assumed the commitment to direct the Bolivarian Revolution towards socialism and to contribute to the socialist path, with a new socialism; a socialism of the 21st century which is based in solidarity, in fraternity, in love, in justice, in liberty and in equality,” Chavez said in a speech in mid-2006, according to the Venezuelan government’s official Web site. Last Friday, during the Americas Summit, Obama greeted Chavez before the first plenary summit, the first time the two presidents had met. “I want to be your friend,” Chavez said to Obama as both of them shook hands. After the encounter, Chavez told reporters, “It was a good moment.” At the United Nations in September 2006, Chavez referred to then-President Bush as “the devil." The Venezuelan president has also suggested that he would “use oil” to fight U.S. influence, which he often refers to as “the imperialist power.” Venezuela is one of the world’s major oil producers. Prior to the Americas Summit, Chavez had even attacked the Obama administration. In January, Chavez accused the not-yet-inaugurated president of "throwing the first stone," after Obama called Chavez a "disruptive force in the region." Chavez responded by calling Obama "ignorant" and inviting him to look over the realities of Latin America. At their meeting last week, Chavez gave Obama a copy of the book, “The Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of Pillage of a Continent,” written by Uruguayan writer Eduardo Galeano. The book is about alleged U.S. and European exploitation of the region. “I think it was a nice gesture to give me a book. I’m a reader,” Obama told reporters. Obama and Chavez spoke once again--in private--during the final day of the summit. Chavez told reporters that they talked about a new era in U.S.-Venezuela relations. “I told Obama that we have decided to appoint a new ambassador (to the U.S.),” said Chavez. President Obama, defending himself against criticism coming from those in the U.S. who disapprove of talks with Chavez, said, “Venezuela is a country whose defense budget is probably one six-hundredths of the United States. They own Citgo [oil refinery and retailer]. “It’s unlikely that as a consequence of me shaking hands or having polite conversation with Mr. Chavez, we are endangering the strategic interest of the United States,” Obama told reporters. “You would be would be hard pressed to paint a scenario in which the U.S. interests would be damaged as a consequence of us having a more constructive relationship with Venezuela,” he added. Venezuelan opposition to the Chavez administration criticized President Obama on Sunday for warming up to Chavez before demonstrating concern about Venezuela’s democracy, apporrea.org, a Venezuelan news outlet reported. “The president’s (Chavez) authoritarianism, which grows by the day, has to be discussed,” Milos Alcalay, former Venezuelan ambassador to the U.N., who resigned in 2004 due to differences with Chavez, told aporrea.org. The U.S. needs to talk to “the opposition, church representatives and others, who are really concerned about the democracy in Venezuela,” added Alcalay. According to the U.S. State Department and other official government sources, the Venezuelan government has been guilty of numerous human rights violations under Chavez's rule. “Politicization of the judiciary and official harassment of the political opposition and the media characterized the human rights situation during the year,” said the State Department's Country Report on Human Rights in Venezuela for 2008 that was released last month. The report credits the Chavez regime with unlawful killings, arbitrary arrests and detention, discrimination based on political grounds, widespread corruption at all levels of government, official intimidation and attacks on the independent media. “According to HRW [Human Rights Watch], ‘Government officials have removed scores of detractors from the career civil service, purged dissidents employees from the national oil company, denied citizens access to social programs based on their political opinions, and denounced critics as subversives deserving of discriminatory treatment," says the State Department report. A recent report by the Congressional Research Service also outlined human rights concerns in Chavez's Venezuela. “Under the populist rule of President Hugo Chavez … Venezuela has undergone enormous political changes, with a new constitution and unicameral legislature, and a new name for the country, the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela,” states a Feb. 5, 2009 CRS report. “U.S. officials and human rights organizations have expressed concerns about the deterioration of democratic institutions,” the report adds, “and threats to freedom of expression under President Chavez, who has survived several attempts to remove him from power.” Last February, Venuzuelan voters approved a constitutional amendment that eliminates presidential term limits, thus allowing Chavez to run the country for an unlimited succession of 6-year terms as long as he can win a majority of the vote in a Venezuelan election. http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=46896
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566 |
Yeah, I believe him... 
#GMSTRONG
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynahan
"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe." Damanshot
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,205
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,205 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566 |
Dave, I have no idea what your putting that up for...
As for Chavez,, if you want to believe what he says,, be my guest....
#GMSTRONG
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynahan
"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe." Damanshot
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,246
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,246 |
I'm not going to lie. If I ever saw that many stormtroopers going down the street, I'd get my picture taken with them.
I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,102
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,102 |
I think Chavez isn't far from wrong. My view of politics has been that the Democrats are trying to turn America into Cuba, while the Republicans will do their best to have us become like Mexico. I see our only hope as each party having just enough power to counter each-other and hope to see a Republican controlled congress elected in '10.
Last edited by Reckon; 04/22/09 10:39 AM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,205
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,205 |
Whether I believe Chavez is neither here nor there. He is a savvy and opportunistic enough little fascist to try and take some "credit" for what is happening in America right now. The poster refers to some in this country (and on this board) that keep saying "nothing to see here, nothing going on here, nothing at all, move along.". Sound familiar?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,109
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,109 |
If I ever see A storm trooper walking down the street, I'll get my picture taken with them.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,224
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,224 |
He's another kim jong il, thats it. A blowhard that thinks the world can be made to revolve around them.
There are no sacred cows.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,712
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,712 |
Quote:
I'm not going to lie. If I ever saw that many stormtroopers going down the street, I'd get my picture taken with them.
You might need to be ready to fight them.
Could you put up any resistance??
If everybody had like minds, we would never learn. GM Strong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,058
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,058 |
What is Chavez smoking???? It's not like the US Government has bought up controlling interest in several of the nation's largest banks ..... or is telling 2 of its largest manufacturers how to run their business ....... 
Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566 |
Again Dave,, if you want to take anything that Chavez says as even remotely accurate, be my guest..
You said it yourself, he's opportunistic.. he just snagged a photo with Obama so it's a perfect time to set some agendas in motion... anything to stir stuff up...
So, I'll say it again,, if you believe we are headed down the facist path because of anything that Chavez says or does,,, you are more than welcome to belive that... be my guest..
#GMSTRONG
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynahan
"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe." Damanshot
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465 |
Quote:
My view of politics has been that the Democrats are trying to turn America into Cuba, while the Republicans will do their best to have us become like Mexico.

|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015 |
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not going to lie. If I ever saw that many stormtroopers going down the street, I'd get my picture taken with them.
You might need to be ready to fight them.
Could you put up any resistance??
Darth Vader and the Stormtroopers were well versed in toture as a means to get the information they were after weren't they? 
We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399 |
Quote:
Dave, I have no idea what your putting that up for...
Because it's a world leader making comments about our own leader and some people might want to discuss it?
Quote:
As for Chavez,, if you want to believe what he says,, be my guest....
I don't WANT to believe what he says, but that doesn't necessarily mean we should just ignore it because he's a socialist dictator....
yebat' Putin
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368 |
Who would best recognize socialism? Hmmmm.....
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566 |
Quote:
Who would best recognize socialism? Hmmmm.....
Who has the most to gain by looking like he's Obamas best friend,,,, Hmm
#GMSTRONG
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynahan
"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe." Damanshot
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,712
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,712 |
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not going to lie. If I ever saw that many stormtroopers going down the street, I'd get my picture taken with them.
You might need to be ready to fight them.
Could you put up any resistance??
Darth Vader and the Stormtroopers were well versed in toture as a means to get the information they were after weren't they?
I have no idea. I fell asleep 30 minutes in to the the first Starwars movie and have never bothered with any of the others.
If everybody had like minds, we would never learn. GM Strong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446 |
Browns is the Browns
... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368 |
Oh, so you think calling Obama a socialist will endear him to Chavez? Maybe you are starting to get it....
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,732
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,732 |
Quote:
I fell asleep 30 minutes in to the the first Starwars movie and have never bothered with any of the others.
You managed to get through a half hour?? I probably couldn't make it even that far. 
![[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]](http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/shadedog/mcenroe2.jpg) gmstrong -----------------
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399 |
Quote:
Quote:
Who would best recognize socialism? Hmmmm.....
Who has the most to gain by looking like he's Obamas best friend,,,, Hmm
The same guy who hated him and called him names just a few months ago even though it was pretty clear he was going to win? 
yebat' Putin
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566 |
Exactly,, so why would anyone put an ounce of store in what he has to say....
#GMSTRONG
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynahan
"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe." Damanshot
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,712
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,712 |
Quote:
Quote:
I fell asleep 30 minutes in to the the first Starwars movie and have never bothered with any of the others.
You managed to get through a half hour?? I probably couldn't make it even that far.
Well, when I pay for something, I try to fight it for a while.
If everybody had like minds, we would never learn. GM Strong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,711
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,711 |
Quote:
I have no idea. I fell asleep 30 minutes in to the the first Starwars movie and have never bothered with any of the others.
shoulda stuck with it....first 30 minutes of starwars was kinda slow....picks up after that....you missed out....
Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399 |
Quote:
Exactly,, so why would anyone put an ounce of store in what he has to say....
In case you hadn't noticed, a lot of people were saying the same thing BEFORE Chavez's great revelation....
yebat' Putin
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,580
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,580 |
I've followed his career and I like this Chavez guy.He's an actor,a radio personality and a modern day buffoon dictator.Just a well rounded guy. After the Chinese and the Russians use,abuse and toss him aside,as has happened to hundreds of Castro wannabes before him,I'll be sad to see him go.He's always been good for a laugh or two.
Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,712
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,712 |
Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea. I fell asleep 30 minutes in to the the first Starwars movie and have never bothered with any of the others.
shoulda stuck with it....first 30 minutes of starwars was kinda slow....picks up after that....you missed out....
Maybe so, but I don't feel like I have missed out on much the past 30 or so years.
If everybody had like minds, we would never learn. GM Strong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,732
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,732 |
You haven't, in my opinion. Not to insult anyone else's taste, but Sci-Fi is not my thing. sorry to quasi-hijack the thread, kiddies.
![[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]](http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/shadedog/mcenroe2.jpg) gmstrong -----------------
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446 |
Quote:
I've followed his career and I like this Chavez guy.He's an actor,a radio personality and a modern day buffoon dictator.Just a well rounded guy. After the Chinese and the Russians use,abuse and toss him aside,as has happened to hundreds of Castro wannabes before him,I'll be sad to see him go.He's always been good for a laugh or two.
I miss Baghdad Bob... he was definitely always good for a laugh.

Browns is the Browns
... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,248
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,248 |
Plus the captioning that you could always throw in with a picture of him. "These are not the droids you are looking for"
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,580
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,580 |
The world was a much more enjoyable place with him in it.
Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566 |
Quote:
In case you hadn't noticed, a lot of people were saying the same thing BEFORE Chavez's great revelation....
I noticed that as well.. but I see no evidence other than the beliefs by some folks,that we are slowing going down the toilet...
Those same folks have been around for 200 years, saying the same basic stuff and we've somehow managed to weather a million storms, wars, droughts, attacks, economic catastrophes and McCarthy yet somehow, here we are, still the beacon of democracy shining on the hill.... albiet, the light is a little tainted at the moment due to too much greed and too little governance....
I guess I'm not a Chicken little type of guy DC...
#GMSTRONG
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynahan
"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe." Damanshot
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465 |
Quote:
Who would best recognize socialism? Hmmmm.....
Certainly not Chavez.
The cat doesn't remotely resemble a socialist...he's a fascist, beyond a shadow of a doubt.
...which is where we've been headed for a few decades now...so maybe he does see some common ground.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,864
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,864 |
Quote:
Please learn the difference between fascism and socialism, it is not that hard to do.
Welcome back, Joe, we missed you!…. That did not age well.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,205
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,205 |
I know the difference, Einstein. I was trying to point out that one leads to the other, as sure as night follows day. Socialism is only the vehicle.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465 |
Quote:
I was trying to point out that one leads to the other, as sure as night follows day. Socialism is only the vehicle.
Fascism can come from any form of economy or government rule...I mean, look what could be construed as fascist aspects of our own government -- bred mainly out of rampant capitalism supported by lemon socialism.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,563
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,563 |
Quote:
Quote:
Please learn the difference between fascism and socialism, it is not that hard to do.
The fact that socialism eventually turns into fascism should mean absolutely nothing then, right?
you had a good run Hank.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,959
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,959 |
j/c
First of all, hugo is a little Kim jong il (or ill, whatever). What he says means nothing to me other than "hey, I want attention, I'm a world player that the rest of the world should fear".
But, with him out of the picture, there are many that worried about Obama and his policies. As of right now, I'd say there is some truth to it.
Now, GM and Chrysler probably need to buck up.......they asked for the money. That doesn't mean they should get it and have no oversight. (check out the banks and AIG for example - given money with no oversight - wow, that worked, didn't it?)
But, I do believe Obama said the GM should drop GMC......a profitable vehicle line, and that they should spend more on the Chevy Volt (which has been proven to be a loss leader).
Perhaps it is not wise to have a guy that's never done anything but get paid as a politician/community organizer to run a business - or mandate how a business should be run.
JMO.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,886
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,886 |
Quote:
Now, GM and Chrysler probably need to buck up.......they asked for the money. That doesn't mean they should get it and have no oversight. (check out the banks and AIG for example - given money with no oversight - wow, that worked, didn't it?)
But, I do believe Obama said the GM should drop GMC......a profitable vehicle line, and that they should spend more on the Chevy Volt (which has been proven to be a loss leader).
Perhaps it is not wise to have a guy that's never done anything but get paid as a politician/community organizer to run a business - or mandate how a business should be run.
Well let's see, people who are SUPPOSE to know how to run a car company, runs car company into the ground, then goes BEGGING for govt money, and when the govt gives money with strings attached, then the Pres is a socialist/facist/communist..etc..!!!
Well why didn't GM just say NO THANKS!!.. Ford did not ask for the money and were not subject to those rules! GM did!... Sorry! As for a comment about GMC, IF the president made that quote, it would not be a bad idea! Hell, GMC and Chevy clones half of their trucks anyway! Maybe they could think about streamlining that crap down!!
|
|
|
DawgTalkers.net
Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Chavez Says Venezuelan Socialism
Has Begun to Reach U.S. under
Obama
|
|