Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#377376 04/25/09 10:41 PM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Obviously we won't be trading BQ now. Glad to see it ... and IMO he will be the starting QB in 2009.
What has the draft done for the offense... will Mack start right away? I think Mack will be given the opportunity to take the job from Fraley. in fact I think he'll have it unless he flops in TC.

Receivers... we didn't trade BE... I'm not overly disappointed cuz I didn't want to give him away & he still can be a gamebreaker, plus we took the two WRs.... and have Patten for veteran depth.

IMO this is BQ's job to lose now... if he can't beat out DA then he isn't as good as some think he is. The posters who thought we'd take Sanchez over Quinn... LOL.
diam just could be right... it's Brady time.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
lampdogg #377377 04/25/09 10:53 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mack and Fraley will not even be a competition! IMO Mack was drafted to start and he will.

It's been said he was the only center to hold his own against Raji.

Good pick for a team facing two tough 3-4 D's!

lampdogg #377378 04/25/09 11:06 PM
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
I agree. But, as a long time Browns fan I would never assume the logical. I think BQ at least deserves the opportunity. I believe DA blew the opportunity. But, what do I know?

lampdogg #377379 04/25/09 11:16 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There is no doubt Mack will start from day one. My guess is that it will be at center, but it could be at guard. I've not been shy about pimping Mack. He is a great player, great guy, and is perfect for our division. He can actually hold his own against the noses we face unlike Fraley (who I really like, but isn't that great) who gets shoved into the backfield regularly. Mack and JT will be starting for our Brownies for years to come.

I am with you on BQ. It is Quinn time. He fits our offense and won't be under a ton of pressure this year. He is perfect for the West Coast/Digit System offense we are implementing. He is smart, accurate, and mobile. Robiskie and Mass both fit this system well also.

I know I'm in the minority, but I think we could surprise some people next year. Here's a very early look at our potential depth chart:

QB: Quinn - DA - Ratliff Quinn will be good.
RB: Jamal - Harrison - Herron Jamal still has some left in the tank, and Harrison has proven to be more than capable in spelling him off.
FB: Vickers - Ali Vickers is a great lead blocker with receiving skills as well.
WR: Braylon - Stallworth (If he isn't locked up) - Robiskie - Patten - Massaquoi Despite many's misgivings (I'm included in this as well) Braylon is still a number one receiver with huge big play potential. Stallworth can make plays and Robo will be solid.
TE: Rucker - Heiden - Royal Rucker has potential to be a very good receiver, and Heiden and Royal are both good blockers with decent receiving skills
LT: Thomas - Steinbach JT is one of, if not the, best left tackle in the NFL.
LG: Steinbach - Womack Steiny is a very good guard, especially pass protecting
C: Mack - Fraley All of a sudden we have the best left side in the NFL. Mack will be a stud from day one.
RG: Tucker - Womack - Hadnot Tucker is a very good guard when healthy and Pork Chop is a more than capable backup. Our starter last year is 3rd string.
RT: St. Claire - Tucker - Womack At the very least this is just as good as last year, maybe better.

RE: Coleman/Robaire - Sean Smith I honestly don't know who will start here; either way we're sitting pretty good.
Nose: Rogers - Rubin - Sean Smith We have the best nose in the NFL, with a pretty good backup
LE: Williams - Coleman/Robaire - Sean Smith Williams played hurt all of last year and was still pretty good.

ROLB: Wimbley - Bowens/Veikune/Hall Our weakest spot on defense IMO.
TED: Barton - Williams Barton is an upgrade over Andra.
MIKE: D'Qwell - Williams D'Qwell is solid.
LOLB: Hall/Bowens/Veikune I honestly don't know who will start here. Bowens is decent, Hall played pretty well last year, and Veikune is a 2nd round pick that I like.

CB: Eric Wright - Brandon McDonald - Poteat Wright is pretty good and McDonald is better than most people think. Mangini will improve our DB's quite a bit.
FS: Elam - Adams Elam is a pretty good player with a lot of potential
SS: Pool - Adams Pool was pretty good last year and has potential and athleticism to be a star.

K: Dawson Had a great year last season.
P: Zastadil Pretty good punter (not that it really matters)
LS: Pontbriand He's a two time pro bowler. Do we need to know anymore?
KR: Cribbs Stud
PR: Cribbs Stud
ST: Cribbs Stud

I know it's early, but I like how our team looks more than most people.

DeepThreat #377380 04/25/09 11:25 PM
All Pro
All Pro
You do not think Beau Bell ( sp?) will be in the lineup?

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
Woofurious #377381 04/25/09 11:26 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I forgot about him, but I don't think he will be starting.

DeepThreat #377382 04/25/09 11:29 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Don't you think Mosely will make the team?

nordawg

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
nordawg #377383 04/25/09 11:34 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yes, I'm sure he will. I was just doing it at the top of my head, and if I forgot a few players, forgive me.

DeepThreat #377384 04/25/09 11:40 PM
All Pro
All Pro
Nevah!
Now get out the old chalkboard and write
"I will not forget to add insignificant players to our beloved Browns roster." 4000 times.

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
lampdogg #377385 04/26/09 12:05 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

IMO this is BQ's job to lose now... if he can't beat out DA then he isn't as good as some think he is. The posters who thought we'd take Sanchez over Quinn... LOL.
diam just could be right... it's Brady time.

I dunno, the QB comp could be kinda open. From the looks of the Jets board, a lot of people are unhappy losing Ratliff. In fact some preferred him to Clemmons.

May be Mangini likes his guys so much that he wants to bring a Jets QB in to start also......

In reality i dunno who our QB will be, but with our coach, I wouldn't be suprrised no matter who it ended up being

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
PeteyDangerous #377386 04/26/09 12:10 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't think it's necessarily BQ and DA.

Still a chance a move may occur. Don't think it will, but it may.

Just something to sleep on.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
PeteyDangerous #377387 04/26/09 12:22 AM
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
agreed. if anything, ratliff might have a chance. he's the only of the three that was selected by mangini.

he looked pretty decent last preseason, or at least he burned our seconds with his seconds.

lampdogg #377388 04/26/09 06:05 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Obviously we won't be trading BQ now. Glad to see it ... and IMO he will be the starting QB in 2009.

It was an interesting day, as expected.....the smoke and mirror stuff worked out well.

Quote:

Receivers... we didn't trade BE... I'm not overly disappointed cuz I didn't want to give him away & he still can be a gamebreaker, plus we took the two WRs.... and have Patten for veteran depth.

More than happy with the Robiskie selection, and NOT because is a Buckeye. This kid has great hands, great route/ball awareness, and has been coached up his entire life. Love the pick!

Quote:

I didn't think that "we" would but I wasn't sure about Mangini.....

DeepThreat #377389 04/26/09 06:12 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

RB: Jamal - Harrison - Herron Jamal still has some left in the tank, and Harrison has proven to be more than capable in spelling him off.

Not sure how much Lewis has "left in the tank." He turns 30 during the pre-season and has lots of mileage on him. Harrison has yet to be given enough looks to see if he can really spell Lewis.....7 carries in the last 5 games for 8 yards is not spelling him. This is still a position of need if you look at it subjectively.....

Quote:

FB: Vickers - Ali Vickers is a great lead blocker with receiving skills as well.

I love a pass catching FB but Vickers has not displayed pass catching ability in the bigs to a great extent yet. Hopefully, once we get Quinn in there and some continuity rolling it can be an addition to our offense.

Time will tell.....as always.

shepdawg #377390 04/26/09 06:37 AM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Quote:

This kid has great hands, great route/ball awareness, and has been coached up his entire life. Love the pick!

I like what I've read about Robiskie.. hands/smarts/polished route running. He's not a project, and very well could be a guy who steps right in as #2.

gmstrong

-----------------

lampdogg #377391 04/26/09 07:00 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns Insider: After weeks of rumors, it's a quiet day for Edwards and Quinn
by Mary Kay Cabot/Plain Dealer Reporter
Sunday April 26, 2009, 12:02 AM

BEREA -- The Browns said they did not entertain offers for receiver Braylon Edwards Saturday and that they expect him to be a Brown by the time the weekend is over.

"I don't anticipate anything different," said Browns General Manager George Kokinis.

Kokinis and coach Eric Mangini said "there are so many rumors at this time of year and sometimes they gain traction."

Rumors circulated throughout the day that the Browns would trade Edwards to the Giants for a second- and third-round pick. The Giants picked North Carolina receiver Hakeem Nicks with their No. 29 overall pick.

Rumors also flew that that Browns and Eagles were discussing a deal that would've sent Edwards and the fifth overall pick to Philly for cornerback Sheldon Brown and guard Shawn Andrews. The rumors apparently were false.

Mangini said he sat down with Edwards during individual player meetings and "we spoke for a long time. We had a good meeting. He and [offensive coordinator)] Brian [Daboll] have talked quite a bit."

Said Kokinis: "Braylon's here and we're excited to move forward. Braylon is on this football team and we expect him to go out and play like he can."

Chuck Crow/The Plain DealerLike Edwards, Brady Quinn was attached to trade rumors for the last few weeks, but remained a Brown entering Sunday's final five rounds of the draft.
Quinn too: Mangini and Kokinis would not specify if they engaged in trade talks for quarterback Brady Quinn. The New York Daily News reported that the Jets were interested in trading for Quinn and talked to the Browns on Friday about him.

Instead, the Jets traded up from No. 17 for the Browns' No. 5 overall pick and picked Mark Sanchez.

How much thought did the Browns give to keeping Sanchez for themselves?

"We looked at it," said Mangini. "We made the trade and that's what we wanted to do."

Texas Tech coach miffed: Texas Tech coach Mike Leach blamed Mangini for a report in The Plain Dealer that receiver Michael Crabtree acted like a diva on his visit. Leach felt the report, from an unnamed source, caused Crabtree to fall to No. 10.

"Michael Crabtree has been more successful as a receiver than that guy as a coach at this point," Leach told the Sacramento Bee. "Part of the reason is he's [Crabtree] too shy to be like that. ...

"My definition of a diva is someone who's loud and self-absorbed. Michael Crabtree is the furthest thing from loud that I've seen. ... Let's see how all those non-divas do up in Cleveland this year."

Ties that bind: ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported that the trade between the Jets and Browns came about because of the longstanding friendship between Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum and Mangini. The two began their careers together long ago with the Browns.

Tannenbaum called Mangini Friday night and said, "Let's make a deal," according to ESPN.

"It's something we had been talking about for weeks," Tannenbaum said.

No USC linebacker: Kokinis said the scouts liked USC linebacker Rey Maualuga and Clay Matthews III, but that there was a consensus that center Alex Mack was the right player for the Browns and the best available at No. 21.

"We definitely did the research," said Kokinis. "But we're excited about the pick we made."

On Ratliff: Mangini likes the potential of Utah quarterback Brett Ratliff, who came in the Jets trade.

"We like his work ethic, his intelligence," he said. "You saw the two TD passes he had against the Browns [in preseason last year]. He's made substantial progress and that's encouraging."

lampdogg #377392 04/26/09 08:30 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Just like I been saying for the last 2 months ITS BRADY TIME BABY .... and we just HELPED HIM ALOT .....

Now the draft is done and BQ is still here .... so until the so called "comp" is over (THERE WILL BE NO REAL COMP .. EVERYONE IN BEREA KNOWS WHO THE CLEAR CUT STARTER IS ... ) I will have to listen to all the DA dreamers fantasies about him winning the battle and how BQ wasn't annointed and that Jeanie/coke don't like him ...

and just like about the trade BS i WILL BE RIGHT AGAIN and after the year .. OUR QB POSITION WILL BE SETTLED FOR THE NEXT DECADE ...

ITS BQ TIME BABY!!!!!

DeepThreat #377393 04/26/09 08:40 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Were gonna be better than people think ... we are gonna win this year ... not SB ready ... but were not near as bad as people think ...

9 or 10 wins this year ... and with some breaks ... maybe more ..

BQ is going to IMPROVE EVERYONE ON O .. you'll all see ...

Mack wil have growing pains .. but he has certainly UPGRADED THE OL and will improve the depth quite a bit weather he starts or not (and i expect him to start) ...

Robo will more than likely not have as big of affect as most think .. WR is a TOUGH TRANSITION position from college to the NFL .. but even being as RAW as he is .. he will still upgrade the position ..

and we IMPROVED the depth on the D with the Jets we got ...

DiamDawg #377394 04/26/09 08:51 AM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
I'm glad you're hopeful.
I was worried the FO was in love with Sanchez... the last thing I wanted was to waste two years of BQ's growth by taking a QB with lesser college experience. Now that it appears Mangini is confident with Quinn.... we can move forward and put this trade BS behind us.

gmstrong

-----------------

DeepThreat #377395 04/26/09 09:02 AM
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Quote:

CB: Eric Wright - Brandon McDonald - Poteat Wright is pretty good and McDonald is better than most people think. Mangini will improve our DB's quite a bit.
FS: Elam - Adams Elam is a pretty good player with a lot of potential
SS: Pool - Adams Pool was pretty good last year and has potential and athleticism to be a star.

Deep, don't forget Cory Ivy for our secondary

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
RocDawg #377396 04/26/09 09:07 AM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
and Davin Holly.... damn that knee injury sucked & I hope he can rebound. He seemed to be a ballhawker.

gmstrong

-----------------

lampdogg #377397 04/26/09 09:25 AM
Legend
Legend
Wasn't Holly a free agent? I hope he is a Brown next year. He is pretty good, and was just starting to get a swagger about himself.. but when I look at it... Mangini and Kokinis have brought in more than a handful of corners... It's gonna be interesting to see who are our corners come game 1.

I'm glad Quinn will be our guy. Just make it official and trade Anderson. Yes we need a backup, but Anderson will do nothing but start trouble....

So Quinn has Edwards, Robiskie, Mossaqui, Stallworth (pending), Hubbard, Steptoe to throw too... It's a lot better options than what we had on April 24th.. lol..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
shepdawg #377398 04/26/09 09:27 AM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Texas Tech coach miffed: Texas Tech coach Mike Leach blamed Mangini for a report in The Plain Dealer that receiver Michael Crabtree acted like a diva on his visit. Leach felt the report, from an unnamed source, caused Crabtree to fall to No. 10.

"Michael Crabtree has been more successful as a receiver than that guy as a coach at this point," Leach told the Sacramento Bee. "Part of the reason is he's [Crabtree] too shy to be like that. ...

"My definition of a diva is someone who's loud and self-absorbed. Michael Crabtree is the furthest thing from loud that I've seen. ... Let's see how all those non-divas do up in Cleveland this year."

Wow, can't believe Leach is that ticked. He actually believes that Mangini caused this? If one coach saw a diva problem, they ALL saw a diva problem - it just so happened that it got "leaked" in Cleveland. What a tool.

#gmstrong
columbusdawg #377399 04/26/09 09:31 AM
Legend
Legend
Leach needs to have straightened this out with Crabtree FIRST,...that's what a real people-person would have done.

If he has ire, he should be directing it at Oakland,...

Leach needs to concentrate on Texas Tech.

columbusdawg #377400 04/26/09 09:55 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Wow, can't believe Leach is that ticked. He actually believes that Mangini caused this? If one coach saw a diva problem, they ALL saw a diva problem - it just so happened that it got "leaked" in Cleveland. What a tool.

ESPN said it right on air that they didn't like the way he conducted himself on set.

I think that should receive a little more attention than a coach's alleged comments that were never even heard.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
lampdogg #377401 04/26/09 11:04 AM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

IMO this is BQ's job to lose now... if he can't beat out DA then he isn't as good as some think he is.

I 100% agree. Expect these boards and many posters on here explode with furry with the new FO if BQ isn't starting week 1.

I hope the best man wins.

HewDawg #377402 04/26/09 11:14 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't care if Ratliff wins the job...just produce!

1oldMutt #377403 04/26/09 11:31 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't care if Ratliff wins the job...just produce!

Amen!

Winning cures all.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DiamDawg #377404 04/26/09 11:46 AM
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

Robo will more than likely not have as big of affect as most think .. WR is a TOUGH TRANSITION position from college to the NFL .. but even being as RAW as he is .. he will still upgrade the position ..

Raw? Robo ain't the raw one - he's considered the most NFL ready receiver in the draft - perhaps even a little too close to his ceiling already. Will he be better in year 3 than year 1? I hope so, but I think he's going to contribute from day one, baby.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"One man's Bum is another man's Hobo" - Waterdawg
DiamDawg #377405 04/26/09 12:18 PM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Were gonna be better than people think ... we are gonna win this year ... not SB ready ... but were not near as bad as people think ...

9 or 10 wins this year ... and with some breaks ... maybe more ..

BQ is going to IMPROVE EVERYONE ON O .. you'll all see ...

Mack wil have growing pains .. but he has certainly UPGRADED THE OL and will improve the depth quite a bit weather he starts or not (and i expect him to start) ...

and we IMPROVED the depth on the D with the Jets we got ...

Who are you and What have you done with Diam????????

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
DeepThreat #377406 04/26/09 03:43 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Quote:

I know I'm in the minority, but I think we could surprise some people next year. Here's a very early look at our potential depth chart:

I know it's early, but I like how our team looks more than most people.

I'm going to do you one better. We will surprise some people next year. I went from, I root for a losing team to these guys look to be onto something. Most everybody that has been brought in seems to be a team player. Those type of guys win ball games.

I'm grateful for Browns football.
KyDawg #377407 04/26/09 04:25 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
To take it a step further, if we do have a good team, we are going to be singing Savage's praises. Because in order for us to have any success next year, it is going to depend on the growth and maturity of the guys that have been picked the last few years. It is conceivable that Thomas, Wright, McDonald, Quinn, Edwards, Pool, Steinbach, Jackson, and maybe even Harrison can all have big years. Those are all Savage guys. He did not leave the cupboard bare at all.

Mangini and Kokinis appear to be filling in the gaps and smoothing out the edges. If any of these rookies make an impact - and I expect Mack and Robiskie to - we could have a very competitive team.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Rishuz #377408 04/26/09 04:30 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

To take it a step further, if we do have a good team, we are going to be singing Savage's praises. Because in order for us to have any success next year, it is going to depend on the growth and maturity of the guys that have been picked the last few years. It is conceivable that Thomas, Wright, McDonald, Quinn, Edwards, Pool, Steinbach, Jackson, and maybe even Harrison can all have big years. Those are all Savage guys. He did not leave the cupboard bare at all.

Mangini and Kokinis appear to be filling in the gaps and smoothing out the edges. If any of these rookies make an impact - and I expect Mack and Robiskie to - we could have a very competitive team.

I'm with you. I think Savage collected talent but didn't assemble a very good TEAM.

It looks like now we're assembling that TEAM.

Ammo #377409 04/26/09 05:15 PM
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

Quote:

I'm with you. I think Savage collected talent but didn't assemble a very good TEAM.

It looks like now we're assembling that TEAM.

Yea Savage seemed like a GM that went BPA. I thinkl that affected the defense, by not finding guys that fit the 3-4. He did put together an offense that when healthy, was a top 10 offense. We never had an offensive line as dominant as the one in 07. If bentley stayed healthy, we might have had the best offense that year.

I do believe Romeo was the worst coach we had here since our team came back in 99. In my opinion he had the most talent, and did the least with it. He was a terrible leader, diciplinarian, and in game coach. I would take Savage over Romeo any day. If savage was more polished in front of the camera, I think Lerner might have given him another chance.

Alpoe19 #377410 04/26/09 06:09 PM
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Romeo had his faults, saying he was the worst coach we've had here is horse poop. the Browns had more talent under his watch, but it was to be any worse then the last year under butch.

He had his faults, but he was in a really crappy position. I admire how he handled it.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
homer_brown #377411 04/26/09 06:12 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I agree with Trella ... worst coach. Classy guy and person, bad NFL HC.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
homer_brown #377412 04/26/09 06:26 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Romeo had his faults, saying he was the worst coach we've had here is horse poop. the Browns had more talent under his watch, but it was to be any worse then the last year under butch.

He had his faults, but he was in a really crappy position. I admire how he handled it.

Butch was the best on-the-field coach we've had since our return.

PDR #377413 04/26/09 06:37 PM
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Quote:

Quote:

Strangely enough, I sort of agree with that. I'm hoping Mangini can pass him.

I guess I'm a little touchy when folks diss Romeo. because he's a class guy.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
homer_brown #377414 04/26/09 06:42 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Class guy, terrible head coach...no shame in that, really.

homer_brown #377415 04/26/09 07:32 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'll have to third this.

Romeo was a classy guy but horrible head coach, IMO. And yes, Botch was the best in-game coach. Horrible at player management and player selection.

I really think Mangini's gonna quickly rise to the top though.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum the QB

Link Copied to Clipboard