Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Barton and Jackson team up to lead Browns defense
By Marla Ridenour
Beacon Journal sports writer

POSTED: 07:56 p.m. EDT, May 30, 2009

BEREA: They departed the University of Maryland seven years apart, but shared the same glory.

The Terrapin linebackers became members of an elite club, two of only seven players to record 400 career tackles at the Atlantic Coast Conference school.

Now Eric Barton and D'Qwell Jackson are expected to line up side by side and lead the Browns' defense, with their primary goal to improve a unit that ranked 28th against the run in 2008.

Coach Eric Mangini said free-agent signee Barton, 31, and Jackson, 25, must bond. And beyond the fact that their birthdays are three days apart in September and they're somewhat similar in build, they might start with their college experience.

''We've got a little Maryland reunion,'' Barton said Wednesday. ''We're getting to know each other, know how each other plays. You kind of have to be a tandem, those two inside guys.

''He's a helluva player. When you turn on tape, he's running around. It makes you proud when you're the older Terp and see him doing that.''

Starting his fourth season, Jackson appreciates a 10-year veteran like Barton, who spent the previous five years with the New York Jets, three under Mangini.

''I've learned a lot from him,'' Jackson said of Barton. ''The thing about what we're doing now, I don't want to give too much away, but I can do his job and he can do my job. You have to be smart and understand the scheme. That's what he's teaching me right now.

''He's been in the system and he's a Mangini guy. If you know Mangini, he's a smart guy and that's what Eric Barton stands for.''

Barton is one of seven ex-Jets on the Browns' roster, brought in by trade or free agency to help in the transition to Mangini's demanding, no-nonsense regime. And Barton could be the ringleader in that regard.

''Eric is incredibly smart, and not just in terms of his ability to pick up the information, but his ability to process information on the field,'' Mangini said last week. ''He's a good communicator. He has toughness.''

Jackson was one of four players Mangini mentioned when asked who from the Phil Savage-Romeo Crennel era impressed him when he dissected tape of the Browns' past struggles.

''I've really enjoyed watching D'Qwell,'' Mangini said in February. ''He's pretty much in the frame at the end of every play and that's always what you look for. He seems to be everywhere.''

Last season, Barton finished with 127 tackles, the second-highest total of his career. Jackson totaled 191, leading the Browns for the second consecutive season and posting 114 or better for the third year.

On the NFL's list (which is not based on the coaches' film review), Jackson led the league with 154 tackles and Barton ranked 14th with 119.

Last year it was Barton who wore the Jets' defensive headset as his team improved from 29th against the run to seventh. Barton is well aware of the responsibility and accountability required of that task.

''As a linebacker, you're the quarterback of the defense and you have to take pride in that and you have to study and you have to be able to reel the troops in when you need to,'' Barton said. ''When things get awry, you have to be able to calm people down.''

Being singled out by Mangini made Jackson realize he'll have to become a bigger presence, too.

''It's a great compliment coming from the head guy,'' Jackson said. ''I don't call it pressure, but I have to take a bigger leadership role. I have to be the guy to count on when we need plays. We've got a good thing going, I feel good with the coaching staff. All the guys are smart as heck and they're teaching us new things every day. It's different, but all the guys have bought in and we'll see where it takes us.''

Along with the other ex-Jets, Barton has started to teach the Browns what Mangini expects.

''I try to as best as I can give them a heads-up of what ticks him off, what he likes, what he doesn't like,'' Barton said. Asked whether that was a long list, he said, ''No. Just do what you're supposed to do, be on time, work hard.''

Asked why he wanted to continue to play for Mangini, Barton said, '''He's the smartest coach I've ever been around and he puts guys in positions to make plays. You know you're always going to be well-prepared playing the game.''

Jackson has already figured that out.

''From everything I've heard, he's a great guy, he's smiling,'' Jackson said of Mangini. ''But when it's about business, it's about business. He puts in the time. The guy is smart as heck. That's going to motivate every guy on this team.

''I'm not making predictions, but we'll be a damn good team come this year.''

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/46554717.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thought it was a good read. I wonder who will have the helmet headset- Barton or Jackson?

Legend
Legend
Good read, thanks.

I wouldn't be surprised to see either guy get the headset; Jackson because I think he's the leader of this defense for the next few years; or Barton because he's the vet and knows how to communicate with all the other players better than Jackson.

I just want to see us be a hard-hitting run-stuffing team that gets pressure on the QB. Yeah, we're going to have our bad games or get beat every once in a while, but if we can get our two ILB to be leaders and start filling those holes that the DL open up, I think we're really going to improve.

JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I just want to see us be a hard-hitting run-stuffing team that gets pressure on the QB.

Music to my ears...

GO BROWNS!!!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
If I could use your word, I want to see our team mollywhop our opponents.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I can't express how great this was getting Barton and replacing AD.

1. For those who actually think DV will play the ILB position...forget about it, the strength of our LB crew right now is DQ + Barton!

2. AD use to pretend to be the leader of the D cause he got to make the calls (DQ took over that responsibility I believe during last season???) but AD didn't have a clue what he was doing or reading for that matter.

3. DQ is a Pro-Bowl caliber ILB and now teamed with Barton teaching him the defense he will get that recognition.

4. Right now this is an amazing improvement for our Defense - If Coleman who btw is a beast against the run along with Mosley can give the same effective leadership to the DL our front 7 should be amazing against the run.

5. The KEY...will we (Mangini + Ryan) beable to establish a consistent pass rush? If so This defense is actually going to be Dominant!!!

We are going to force teams to pass on us - We will get a great test in our first game as we will face THE BEST running game in the NFL!! If we hold them under 100 yards (it sure would help if we score like 3 TDs quick forcing them to catch up) it will mean ONE THING ONLY...we have become freakin awesome on D against the run!

Barton will be the biggest key pickup on defense.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
You know, if a team like the Vikings comes in and does somewhat well against us, that's not necessarily going to be an indictment of our team. We have to remember that sometimes we're going to go up against teams that are just better than us.

The big key is that we can't let EVERY team turn into some great rushing attack against us. Last year, it seemed that no matter who we played, we gave their RB a pro-bowl game.

While I set my expectation level high, I also try to keep grounded in knowing that sometimes, we're going to play against a team that is just plain better than us.

Adrian Peterson is going to get some yards. Peyton Manning is going to get a couple TDs. The Steelers are going to get some pressure on the QB.

The key will be for us to make those the exception, and not the rule.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Minnesota may not have Kevin or Pat Williams for that game...

so, maybe they don't get 100 yards rushing because our offense never leaves the field

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
lol, I could handle the time of possession being 60-0 in our favor.

Legend
Legend
I have read a lot about how people expect us to improve so incredibly on defense ..... and I hope so...... but frankly I'd settle for just getting into the top half in the league against the run ..... and getting some degree of pressure on the QB on obvious passing downs.

Oh .... not allowing teams to convert on 3rd and 10+ would be a step up as well.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just want to see us be a hard-hitting run-stuffing team that gets pressure on the QB. Yeah, we're going to have our bad games or get beat every once in a while, but if we can get our two ILB to be leaders and start filling those holes that the DL open up, I think we're really going to improve.

I want to see more discipline on the D..actually stopping a ball carrier in his tracks..not taking bad angles..filling holes..etc..

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I have read a lot about how people expect us to improve so incredibly on defense ..... and I hope so...... but frankly I'd settle for just getting into the top half in the league against the run ..... and getting some degree of pressure on the QB on obvious passing downs.

Oh .... not allowing teams to convert on 3rd and 10+ would be a step up as well.

what you just described would be an incredible improvement for our defense.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
web page

By Steve Doerschuk
CantonRep.com staff writer
Posted Jun 01, 2009 @ 09:04 PM
BEREA —

Picture an arm-wrestling contest in which the clearly stronger brute not only wins in a flash but breaks the other guy’s hand as he smashes it to the table.

Shaun Rogers can embarrass a guy like that. In a Browns defensive line drill last week, Rogers and Shaun Smith engaged a two-man sled on wheels. When line coach Bryan Cox said go, Smith’s challenge was to drive the sled with force equal to Rogers, making the sled go straight back.

Instead, Rogers applied much greater pressure, basically making the sled do a donut.

“C’mon, Shaun,” Rogers said to the overpowered Smith.

Smith began to defend himself, but Cox stopped him.

“The sled doesn’t lie,” the coach scowled.

Corey Williams looked on. Maybe he could have given Rogers a better fight.

Williams and Rogers were supposed to form a one-two line punch that helped drive the Browns to last year’s playoffs. Instead, Rogers had a Pro Bowl year after jumping from the Lions, while Williams played hurt, struggled in the transition from Green Bay’s 4-3 to Cleveland’s 3-4, and was a disappointment.

It would be a big help if Williams — deemed worthy of a second-round draft pick by former General Manager Phil Savage — delivered the goods for new Head Coach Eric Mangini.

Maybe a new version of a 3-4 will help. As spring practice rolls along, linebacker D’Qwell Jackson raves about the freedom it gives linemen such as Williams, who had seven sacks two years in a row in Green Bay but a measly half-sack all last year.

“The defense we’re running now is great. I love it,” Williams said. “I liked the defense we ran last year, but this year we’re doing a lot more different things.

“I’m gonna have some one-on-ones. I’m gonna have some double-teams. When I got a one-on-one, I’ll just have to take advantage of it.”

Rogers is resting a shoulder that gave him trouble last year, although resting might not be the right word. In one recent practice, he didn’t sit out 11-on-11 drills. He ground through interval charges up “the hill,” a steep grassy incline at the corner of the practice fields.

“Shewwww,” Williams said, “we’re getting after it. (Mangini) has been on us pretty good. You know what I mean?

“That’s helping us out.”

The 6-foot-4, 320-pound Williams should be in his prime. He turns 28 on Aug. 17 and is entering his sixth NFL season.

Williams said Rogers’ trip to the Pro Bowl is “a motivator to everybody around him.” To do what?

“I have a goal I set for myself,” he said, “but I keep it to myself.”

Williams was on top of the world 16 months ago, playing for a Green Bay team on the verge of beating the Giants in the NFC championship game. That game slipped away, and Williams entered the fog of a Browns season that became a 4-12 shipwreck.

“We put what we did last year behind us,” Williams said. “Think about it. A lot of teams, like Miami, come from a losing season and turn it around. A lot of teams do that. That’s the plan we’ve got.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This D is going to be a lot more aggressive and that is exactly what it needs. I swear all the time it seemed like i was watching the infamous "they are who we thought they were and we let them off the hook" speach being played out over and over and over.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

3. DQ is a Pro-Bowl caliber ILB and now teamed with Barton teaching him the defense he will get that recognition.

This is an absolutely ridiculous statement IMO. DQ is good, good enough to be a starter in the NFL. Pro Bowl, no way. Pro Bowlers are like Ray Lewis, Teddy Bruschi, Antonio Pierce, Patrick Willis, Brian Urlacher when they're at their best.

Jackson at his best is still not in their caliber. Does he deserve to be a starter in the NFL, yes, is he one of the best, no. He simply does not make the game changing plays that these guys do, nor does he get in the backfield like some of these guys are able to in order to make the tackles.

I am a big fan of the Barton pickup. When Mangini began picking up all the ex-Jets, he's the only one that I had known of, and the one that I really hoped we'd get. He's not the most athletic, but a bigger guy who is a true 3-4 ILB that is a good tackler and plays intelligently.

But we must remember that he is going to be turning 32 this season, and he wasn't that athletic in the first place. I'd be surprised if Veikune or Bell took his spot from the beginning of the season, but I really hope that one of them will. Barton isn't stellar, he's better than AD though and is a true 3-4 ILB, so that's why he's a solid pickup.

Quote:

4. Right now this is an amazing improvement for our Defense - If Coleman who btw is a beast against the run along with Mosley can give the same effective leadership to the DL our front 7 should be amazing against the run.

This seems a little crazy to me too. I live in Jets country. Fairfield County CT loves the Jets. In fact I watch the Jets, but I never had heard of Coleman. And when I mention his name to other Jets fans they really don't know of him either. He wasn't a huge part of their D last season. May be this is because they have David Harris, Darrelle Revis, Kerry Rhodes, and Kris Jenkins (all good players), but they just don't speak particularly highly of Coleman at all. But he did start and I can dig that because the Jets D was pretty good.

As for CJ Mosley, nothing against him, but he's even more of a nobody. None have heard of him. I expect our D-Line to be Coleman, Rogers, and Williams. And I expect Williams to improve vastly this season. There's a reason that we gave up a 2nd Round pick for the guy, and last year was his first year in the 3-4 and he was injured if i'm not correct. Crennel did say that 3-4 DE was harder to pick up than 3-4 NT. I don't think CJ Mosley stands much of a chance at all starting next year. I think the starting battle if anything will be Robaire Smith (if he comes back healthy) vs Coleman. If CJ Mosley is able to start, I'll be excited, I'm just not getting my hopes up at all.

Quote:

5. The KEY...will we (Mangini + Ryan) beable to establish a consistent pass rush? If so This defense is actually going to be Dominant!!!

And this quote, I love your enthusiasm. But when was the least time our defense was even good? And when was the last time that we had a decent pass rush period?

As I said, I love your enthusiasm, and I've loved your posts over the years. Your a true Browns fan. Unfortunately this time we aren't seeing completely eye to eye.

I think better play out of our D-Line this year is going to be key to this defense, and as I said I'm hoping that Williams will improve big-time. That and if Elam can cover and play zone better than Sean Jones, we will improve also.

The D should be a little better, just based on more experience for our corners/the addition of Rod Hood and Barton. But I don't think there's a chance that our D will be dominant. We just don't have the guys for that yet. We need better LBs. And the ones we have aren't that good........

I'm thinking the Browns will have a record around 7-9 this year. And we have to win the game against Cincy in early October (the one that I'm going to )

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I swear I can't wait until August and TC.. I wanna see this stuff for myself.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was pretty happy that we signed Barton. He's not going to be a huge upgrade over Davis but he WILL be an upgrade, which is what we want. Improvement.

I think the DL and ILB positions may be the strongest points of our D.

Barton is a smart, hard-nosed guy who makes plays. D'Qwell lead the league in tackles, so that tells you enough right there. These guys should make a solid tandem. And with a coach that instills discipline, hopefully the defense will improve quite a bit.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

D'Qwell lead the league in tackles, so that tells you enough right there.

it tells you that the Browns defense had a whole lot of opportunities to make tackles.

at least it was a LB that led in tackles though and not a safety.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

He simply does not make the game changing plays that these guys do, nor does he get in the backfield like some of these guys are able to in order to make the tackles.

D'Qwell wasn't really asked to go after the QB... Davis was for some reason... I guess since DQ has the speed to keep up w/ TE's...

And as far as getting to the RB behind the LOS... I don't care who gets the most TFL's... As long as we get them... I'm a happy man.

I'm more than happy w/ D'Qwell as one of our MLB's..... He plays like a pro bowler, but doesn't get paid like one... Can't beat that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

D'Qwell lead the league in tackles, so that tells you enough right there.

it tells you that the Browns defense had a whole lot of opportunities to make tackles.

at least it was a LB that led in tackles though and not a safety.

True, it does.

But it also means that the guy was making plays, and like you said, not the safeties.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I have a problemputting a ILB in the pro bowl when other teams run for 160-200 YPG. Dqwell makes a lot of hustle tackles downfield after long gains.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
You make some good points but you're also not considering the new philosophy that's being implemented as well.

We looked to have a pretty good team in07',...upgraded talent in 08' and fell flat on our faces. So I think our failures were more about preparation than our overall talent level. Last year at this time it seemed to be more about the guys just having fun and getting ready to make a title run than it was about having the right mental attitude and pushing themselves physically to get better( that's evident with the player quotes we see coming out of Berea).

I remember this team coming out in pre-season and looking so incredibly flat and unmotivated and just writing it off as "pre-season". Then the regular season kicks in and they maintained that same "flat" appearance. How incredibly frustrating it was to watch a team that seemed like they just were'nt trying. This team has talent (and had talent) but bought into all the media hype while RAC just looked on, they were a good team but not nearly as good as they thought,...the "swagger" they thought they had just did not exist.

Fast fwd to 09',....and yet again, we've seemed to add some talent and depth to the team by some key additions and subtractions,...the only difference now is that there's a new sheriff in town and he's kicking ass and taking names,...gaining respect and showing his leadership. That alone is more valuable than any one player can bring to this team.

To me,...there's plenty of reasons to think this team will be MUCH better this season by EVERYTHING that's been brought to this team,.....but then again,...I am a homer....

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Homer or not, I think you make some good points. I too, believe this team was better than it looked last year. I also think there is more talent on it then most think. Many posters see someone write about a certain player and use that to base their beliefs on.
In '07, yes the schedule was easier, but you still have to play the games. Just as in many years that have passed, The team played with some good teams to lose in the final minutes.
I'm in belief that many on the roster last year got complacent. I think they thought they were better than they were. You team that up with the injuries that happened late in camp, and the refusal of Savage to bring in help in areas that were hurting, and a reason can be developed for the downfall.
Injuries killed this team last year. Many forget how devastating OL injuries can hurt all facets of the offense. There was a stemroller effect that happened throughout the year, and it wasn't overcome.
The press love to write about how the Browns couldn't score at the end of the year, but never state why. Steinbach was hurting, Winslow was hurting, Edwards was mentally hurting, we had a QB starting that was signed off the street. In the last game against Pittsburgh, the offense was decimated, yet that's what writers use as a guideline when referring to last season.
I see this year as a rebound. I'm not near as pessimistic as the many "realist" here seem to be. There is talent on this team, and those who think there isn't are fooling themselves.
While not beating Pittsburgh in a while, it seems that every year at least one of the games is deciced in the final moments. For that to happen, there must be some talent on this team. When they crushed the Giants, they were firing on all cylinders, to do that some talent must be present.
Right now it is easy to follow the pack and preach that our players are not that good, but I personally think that is not true. IMO coaching had a lot to do with last years setback. A coach that held noone accountable hurts a team. I feel that those times are behind us.
Writers like King and others are going to portray the team in a bad light, because that's how they cover themselves if the team comes unglued like the Browns did last year. It's a lot easier for a writer to predict a team to be bad, then when they do good they story always is easier to write. They are fools for trying to predict what any team will do before the season starts anyway, but the have to write something, and if they guess right, they look like geniouses. Peter King evens admits that he looked bad for picking the Browns for the playoffs last year, as did other writers. They act as if they really do know the future. It all comes down to luck for them. If they are lucky, readers who are like lemmings will believe anything they say.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

This is an absolutely ridiculous statement IMO. DQ is good, good enough to be a starter in the NFL. Pro Bowl, no way. Pro Bowlers are like Ray Lewis, Teddy Bruschi, Antonio Pierce, Patrick Willis, Brian Urlacher when they're at their best.

LOL.. why don't you go back and see what Bruschi (1 pro-bowl appearance in 12 years) and Pierce (1 pro-bowl in 8 years) did in their first 3 years in the league and compare it to what Jackson has done...

And pro-bowl guys are also like Jon Beeson...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
The argument is subjective, at best.

He surely had a lot of tackles, but every team we played ran a LOT of plays, and most were able to run seemingly at will up the middle on us - and OFTEN. Those that didn't run it like that chose instead to kill us with TE's dragging across the middle. So, take it all with a HEAVY, HEAVY grain of salt.

Leading the league in tackles is nice, but by itself it doesn't mean much at all, and when the defense you are a part of is as terrible as ours was, it means even far less.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

our front 7 should be amazing against the run

Oh how we would all love that

Joe Thomas #73
D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm very curious to see what happens with this D front 7 .. with the upgrade in personal and the coaching changes (a real D-Coordinator) I am CAUTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC with this group ..

I hope your right about DQ ... I have not seen it ... but I trust U and Jeannie .. so MAYBE i am wrong for a change ..

but if u break this D down and look at the upgrades (new additions plus Williams being helthy) there is for the first time in a long time reason for some OPTOMISM .... Barton is a MAJOR UPGRADE over AD .. MAJOR .. and its not because barton is all that ... folks just don't realize just how bad AD was ....(just realized .. AD ... DA .. hmmm .. .. ) ....

I still us see us struggling bigtime getting to the QB .. I just do not see where the pass rush is going to come from ..... but stopping the run on a consistent basis would be a HUGE FIRST STEP ..

reason for optomism for the first time since I can remember ..

Legend
Legend
Quote:

just realized .. AD ... DA .. hmmm .. .. ) .... .

And both were captains..

Legend
Legend
I think our pass rush may come from just being creative with our blitzing.

Last year (and the past few years), I think we told the offense before the snap "here we come!" Our guys would get picked up so easily.

Wimbley has his faults, but the guy is really fast. Why not move him around so he can use his speed?

Last year, we'd run a stunt or run a creative blitz and we'd get to the QB. Then you wouldn't see that again the rest of the game. It was like "well, we can't do it more than once!"

We might not have the players who can get to the QB on a consistent basis lining up in the same place like a Dwight Freeney can. But, if we can utilize the scheme to put players in a position to succeed, I think we'll see a better pass rush.

Like you said, hopefully Ryan will be able to get us in that position.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The argument is subjective, at best.

Yes it is... a lot of the other LBs listed played on very good teams... does that mean you can stay home and play your position better? or does it mean you have to cover for other people and make more tackles?

I don't know... I was just responding to anybody thinking that the guy that led the NFL in tackles in his 3rd year is absolutely positively NEVER going to make a pro-bowl.

yebat' Putin
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
DQ simply isn't a very good 34ILB. Anyone who thinks he's going to sniff a Pro Bowl playing in a 34 isn't paying attention.

I'd love to have a chart measuring how far downfield Jackson's tackles come. And I'd love to know how many TFLs he has in his career. I'd be willing to bet it's under 20. In his career!

We had a LB that led the league in tackles. Wali Rainier. And remind me how that worked out again?

Anyone who thinks DQ is a Pro Bowl guy has got to watch some other teams play. Just because he's our best LBer doesn't mean he's a "BEAST!" "STUD!" or other rediculous notion.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
No matter what player it is... We will always have someone who says ... "I wish I knew where on the field he makes the majority of his tackles.. probably 5 yards down the field"

WHO CARES!!!

The man has the ability to move and get to the ball and actually MAKE a tackle...

Hope D'Qwell has a pro bowl year... regardless if he makes it to hawaii or not...

GO BROWNS!!!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

WHO CARES!!!

do u want to exclude anyone with a lick of football knowledge??? .. cause anyone with a CLUE not only cares .. but CARES AN AWFUL LOT ..

jeannie likes him ,.. and I trust jeannie .. tabber likes him and I trust tabber .. tabber is sometimes a wee bit on the optomistic side of reality when it comes to accesing our talent . so although I trust him .. a grain of salt needs to be used ... well at least one grain ..

me .. i'm very skeptical about the young man .. HUGE YEAR FOR HIM ..

and I am sure everyone on this board hopes he has a pro bowl type year even if he don't go .. if your insiunating he should ahve went last year .. YOUR JUST WRONG!!! ..

remember ...

STATS ARE FOR LOSERS!!!!!

Legend
Legend
1. It's not YOUR... it's You're...

2. No I was not insuinating anything... D.Q. did not have a pro bowl year.. But he is a hell of a player...

It bugs me that every person we have on this team... We could make a post about... And a good majority of the "fans" will bash them, or say that they will never prosper... It's getting sad.

Legend
Legend
Thought came to me... The most praise most of our players get is when they are either drafted... or we sign them to the team..

People have been boosting James Davis... Watch he get bashed the first time he gets a carry for no yardage... (Same thing happened w/ Harrison when he was drafted.. He is actually doing well as a RB, and still gets bashed)

When Barton gets outplayed by the faster HB's in the league.. Watch the Andra Davis name pop up in the threads...

I'm a fan of this team.. and I like the players on this team... (most of them)... I will stand behind them...

I stood behind William Green.. stood behind Antonio Bryant.. stood behind Andra Davis.... stood behind Chaun Thompson... Stood behind Sean Jones...

Can't help who I like... but for them to even make it to the league.. It must mean something..

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Just FYI since I found it on ESPN

2008 - 154 Total Tackles - 2 Tackles For Loss
2007 - 101 Total Tackles - 3 Tackles For Loss
2006 - 93 Total Tackles - 2 Tackles For Loss

By comparison Andra Davis had 6 last year with 36 in his career.

That's pathetic.

If there was chart on tackles within 3 yards of the LOS he'd be low on that too. The guy gets handled too easily physically by Centers and Guards. He's a chase and tackle backer that has to play in the phone booth in a 34. He's simply not good at it.

Now if he was a WILL in a 43 he'd have a lot more freedom to move and could be a very good NFL player. I'm sure other teams see this too and I'd love to trade him for a ransom to a 43 team.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

1. It's not YOUR... it's You're...

2. No I was not insuinating anything... D.Q. did not have a pro bowl year.. But he is a hell of a player...

It bugs me that every person we have on this team... We could make a post about... And a good majority of the "fans" will bash them, or say that they will never prosper... It's getting sad.

I've never understood why our fans believe that anybody on this team is as good as they are ever going to be. Funny that many of these same people refuse to acknowledge what a bad coaching staff we've had.

This year we will have a real defensive coordinator, a proven one. I look for a huge difference in how the players respond.

Every offseason this happens. Our fans seem to think that if a player doesn't make the pro bowl, they are not that good. I recall many starting to bash Thomas last year, saying he lost it and was too weak, then the probowl rolls around and the talk disappears.
Jackson played well last year on a badly coached defense. He is a good LB for his size and is always around the ball. But until he has a bunch of sacks, most of the fans on these boards will put him down.
I see the same thing with Wright. His rookie year everybody praised him. Then McDonald was forced into action and had a few good plays. Then Wright all of a sudden isn't that good anymore. Many still claim McDonald is better than Wright, something I think is absurd. IMO Wright has all the tools, just needs to be coached up a little. Funny how many posters think that there are corners that never get beat. That is assinine, they all do at some point.
Jamal Lewis is another guy who gets praise in the offseason, then is pounded during the season. It's just the way it goes.
I never hear anybody talk about Steinbach, but I recall him being beat many times last year by bigger Dlineman.
The problem lies in that the team is losing. When the wins start coming, many will praise some of the players that have been doing it all along.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I still us see us struggling bigtime getting to the QB .. I just do not see where the pass rush is going to come from .....

I'm with you there...I think it's by far our biggest defensive weakness especially considering how much we've shored up the run D and coverage portion of the pass D this offseason (along with the development of Wright and McDonald...we'll see how they come along).

As far as passrush goes, there are several reasons to hope in no particular order...

1) Rob Ryan (based on the quotes I'm hearing from the players, I think the scheme will be somewhere halfway between Mangini's Jets D and Rex Ryan's Baltimore scheme...face it, Rob couldn't run what he wanted in Oakland)...I hope he gets creative with our stunts and blitzes.

2) Development of Alex Hall...he claims he's bigger, faster, and stronger. I hope it's true because he showed natural rush skills despite being undersized last year. I hope he improves against the run too.

3) David Veikune...I know he's a rook but he will hopefully at least have a key role on 3rd and longs and just get after it.

4) Improvement of Wimbley???? Biggest question mark because he's the closest to being a finished product than anyone else...but I believe we have better coaches now...we shall see...I'm not holding my breath but MAYBE something happens.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

2) Development of Alex Hall...he claims he's bigger, faster, and stronger.

When did he claim this?

And I feel you eryze on most of what you said by the way... especially on the talk about Wright vs. McDonald... I wish it weren't like this.. I'd rather compare them as a unit to other teams defenses corners than against each other... IMO.. Together.. B-Mac and Eazy-E make some nice starters, and should continue to grow in this league as players.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
He has a press conference up on Clevelandbrowns.com (can't really call it the homepage cuz it's technically NOT the homepage...I also hate when they say "browns.com" because that URL doesn't work!...just venting)

Last edited by Ammo; 06/02/09 07:30 PM.
Legend
Legend
I see it.. thanks.. I didn't think we would have any new videos to watch for a while now...

Legend
Legend
watching the Eric Wright presser...

Who was the guy that kept asking Wright about being a shut down corner?? OMG!! SHUT DOWN CORNER!!?? The guy just blew his head up for no reason, and he is no where near being a shut down corner.

Play ball and make plays!! Wright and B-Mac for 09!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum article on the middle backers (Barton and Jackson)

Link Copied to Clipboard