Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
F
Here's a popular topic around here. Although the article probably doesn't say more than anything else thought.

web page

Mangini will name Quinn or Anderson as Browns' QB late in preseason
Associated Press

BEREA, Ohio -- First-year Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini says he will not decide on Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson as his starting quarterback until late in the preseason.

Mangini said before Thursday's voluntary practice that he will take his time evaluating the two quarterbacks and wants to see how they play in preseason games before making his choice.

Anderson was a Pro Bowl selection in 2007, but he lost his job midway through last season to Quinn, a former Notre Dame star and first-round draft pick. Both Quinn (finger) and Anderson (knee) suffered season-ending injuries last season, when the Browns' offense failed to score a touchdown in the team's final six games.

And the next head coach is ......
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Someone at the AP is getting paid to do this.

F
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
F
Anyone want to bet that the loser gets traded and Ratliffe becomes the backup?

And the next head coach is ......
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

First-year Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini says he will not decide on Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson as his starting quarterback until late in the preseason.

The decisions all ready been made ... EVERYONE knows who the starter is ... including BQ and DA ... well maybe Loyal and 'the witch is dead" don't know ...

this is the NO-BRAINER of all NO-BRAINERS ....

ITS BQ TIME BABY!!!!!

A
Legend
Legend
A
That's one heck of a thread title.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Sure .. I'll take that bet ... how much U wanna give me .. name it .. I'll take it ..

if we were going to trade DA it would ahve been before the draft ... QB's get hurt in this league and he is a VERY GOOD BACK UP ... one of the best in the league .. so he is going no where when jeannie finally dots the I and crosses the t and does what everyone knows hes gonna do and names my boy the starter ...

so ... U just tell me how much u wanna donate to me and i'll be all for it ..

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C

Quote:

Ya Think

Also word in....The first time the browns have the ball Mangini will call a running or pass play

Last edited by ClayM57; 06/04/09 03:45 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Sure .. I'll take that bet ... how much U wanna give me .. name it .. I'll take it ..

if we were going to trade DA it would ahve been before the draft ... QB's get hurt in this league and he is a VERY GOOD BACK UP ... one of the best in the league .. so he is going no where when jeannie finally dots the I and crosses the t and does what everyone knows hes gonna do and names my boy the starter ...

so ... U just tell me how much u wanna donate to me and i'll be all for it ..

so you are saying Quinn wins the job? Is that you Mrs. Quinn?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Damn my money was on Pontibrand!

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I wouldn't if I were you. By the time a starter is named, there won't be any positions open for the guy who's not starting.

Furthermore, whatever anyone may think of the relationship between Ratliffe and Mangini, that QB isn't going to be as good of an option in case the starter fails or gets hurt.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

so you are saying Quinn wins the job?

No .. I'm saying the job is HIS NOW ... there is nothing for him to win ...

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Damn... you'd think Grossi would have been the guy to break this bombshell.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
First-year Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini says he will not decide on Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson as his starting quarterback until late in the preseason.

if I'm not mistaken that comment was already spoken months ago..yawn..DA ..hope you can keep the bench clean..

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

The decisions all ready been made ... EVERYONE knows who the starter is ... including BQ and DA ... well maybe Loyal and 'the witch is dead" don't know ...

ITS BQ TIME BABY!!!!!

Man, You have been saying this ever since we drafted the guy-----------maybe your dream will finally come true.

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Quote:

Ya Think

Also word in....The first time the browns have the ball Mangini will call a running or pass play

As long as he doesn't punt, I'll give him a little longer to prove himself.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

if we were going to trade DA it would ahve been before the draft ... QB's get hurt in this league and he is a VERY GOOD BACK UP ... one of the best in the league

Only way you lose that bet is if Quinn looks very good and another team suffers a late preseason /week 1 "Tom Brady"-like injury. If someone came knocking with an inflated offer .........

While BQ is the winner I still believe that with the right coaching DA could be a legit starter.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
web page

s, Schedule, Pictures, Roster & More
Cleveland Browns quarterback competition far from over
by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter
Thursday June 04, 2009, 11:08 AM

Chuck Crow/The Plain DealerDon't pencil in Brady Quinn as the Browns' starting quarterback just yet, head coach Eric Mangini said.
# Photo gallery: Browns OTA in Berea
BEREA, Ohio -- Eric Mangini doesn't anticipate choosing his starting quarterback until well into the preseason schedule.

"Definitely," the coach of the Browns said prior to Thursday's OTA practice. "I want to go through the whole process, evaluate each phase, see it against other opponents."

That means the Browns' quarterback competition -- and debate -- might not reach a conclusion until the third preseason game, Aug. 29 at home against Tennessee.

Counting today, Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson have competed on the field for nine practices. There are two more OTAs next week and then a mandatory three-day minicamp before training camp.

Mangini's criteria for choosing his starting quarterback suggests the games will weigh heavier than the practices.

"The big (criteria) for me is huddle presence and the ability to run the offense, so who can most effectively run the offense, who can look at the defense, understand what the coverage is and throw to the right place, who can see a blitz look and put us in the right play, who can do the check-with-me's where you have two plays called and understand this is the better of the two selections," Mangini said.

"Those things are huge because there's always going to be some right answer and the ability for us offensively to get to the right answer in a short amount of time under pressure, that's what's going to drive us."

Mangini was asked how his expertise in defense would contribute to the selection of his starting quarterback.

"One of the things that's tough defensively is not knowing who the starting quarterback's going to be," he said. "I hated when I didn't know who the starting quarterback of the other team was. A huge, huge headache."

Hmmmm. Is there any chance that Quinn and Anderson might share the job during the season, to keep opponents guessing?

"I would anticipate having a starter and moving forward with that starter," Mangini said. "But I wouldn't rule out anything."

Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

"The big (criteria) for me is huddle presence and the ability to run the offense, so who can most effectively run the offense, who can look at the defense, understand what the coverage is and throw to the right place, who can see a blitz look and put us in the right play, who can do the check-with-me's where you have two plays called and understand this is the better of the two selections," Mangini said.

"Those things are huge because there's always going to be some right answer and the ability for us offensively to get to the right answer in a short amount of time under pressure, that's what's going to drive us."

Well, that fits right in w/ how DA plays the game... Goodbye Quinn!!!

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

I believe DA is already penciled in as the loser and this is nothing more than an effort to increase DA's stock in the event someone does come a knockin'. If Ratliffe can impress in T/C and pre-season,...I agree with you, DA is as good as gone.

O
Legend
Legend
O
j/c

Quote:

DA is going all in against a stacked deck there....

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
BROWNS VOLUNTARY MINICAMP
Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini is keeping the defense guessing about starting quarterback
Friday, June 05, 2009
Tony Grossi
Plain Dealer Reporter

Late in a discussion with reporters about his quarterback competition on Thursday, Browns coach Eric Mangini was asked how might his expertise on defense play a role in his decision.

He answered: "One of the things that's tough defensively is not knowing who the starting quarterback's going to be. That's always a huge problem defensively. I hated when I didn't know who the starting quarterback of the other team was. A huge, huge headache."

That said, could the coach envision playing both Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson during the season for reasons other than injury?

"I would anticipate having a starter and moving forward with that starter," he said. "But I wouldn't rule out anything."

Even though Mangini had three starting quarterbacks in three years with the Jets, he never rotated them. In fact, only in his second season did Mangini not let his No. 1 quarterback start 16 games. In 2007, he benched Chad Pennington for Kellen Clemens with the team at 1-7.

So splitting the job between Quinn and Anderson does seem far-fetched, even for Mangini. But his caveat leaves open the possibility. The issue bears watching in light of the fact that neither quarterback has sparkled in the touch football portion of the season.

Anderson jogged another lap around the field Thursday for committing an error that resulted in a false start. Quinn was not exactly hitting bull's-eyes with his throws. One deflected off the left shoulder of Mohamed Massaquoi running a slant route. Another hit the ground in front of an uncovered back.

At times, it looked as if the quarterbacks were practicing throwing away the ball.

"Today was situational, first time through some things," said Anderson, who admitted he was a little frustrated. "New stuff. Obviously not as sharp as we'd like it to be, but it never is the first time you run through it. That's why you practice.

"[Coaches] have put a lot of pressure on us. We're learning a lot of stuff pretty quickly. I think guys have picked it up pretty well. We've had some good days."

Quinn said he felt the offense as a whole is "slowly progressing . . . At times it may look [ragged], but some of this stuff is new to us."

In his press briefing before the practice, Mangini reiterated that he "definitely" does not expect to choose a starter until the competition plays through the preseason schedule.

"It'll be pretty clear who should have the spot," he said. "It just has to reveal itself."

Mangini then outlined his criteria for choosing his starter, and they weigh heavily on how they react in games -- not on the practice field and certainly not in June.

"A big one for me is huddle presence and the ability to run the offense," Mangini said. "Who can most effectively run the offense? Who can look at the defense, understand what the coverage is and throw to the right place? Who can see a blitz look and put us in the right play? Who can do the check-with-mes, where you have two plays called and understand this is the better of the two selections?

The quarterbacks had different reactions to Mangini's criteria.

Quinn on huddle presence:

"I think it's extremely important. It's something I take pretty seriously. Obviously, a play call starts in the huddle and everything goes from there. If you don't know how to control the huddle effectively, communicate to the guys, you're going to have some breakdowns soon as you get out of the huddle at the line of scrimmage."

Anderson on huddle presence:

"[It's] confidence. The ability to breed confidence with your guys. To understand what's going on. For me, it's just being me. Just go in there and make sure guys know I know what's going on and go play. As you're more successful, that builds momentum, you start making plays and guys obviously feed off that."

Anderson then said, "There's only 11 guys, actually, or 10 guys, who know about huddle presence. Everybody else can talk about it, but nobody knows how I am, how Brady is, in the huddle."

In response to questions, Quinn expressed confidence in "my grasp of the playbook" and "my ability to win the job and my ability to play."

Anderson got a little frustrated with questions about the competition.

"I think we're overanalyzing the whole thing, really," he said. "You guys are beating a dead horse right now. We're in, what, June? And we're practicing and trying to get as good as we can.

"We haven't even made it to August yet. We're going to keep overanalyzing, keep going back and forth? It doesn't matter. I play my best. Brady plays his best. And coach picks who gets in. That's as cut-and-dried as it can get. I'm not going to beat my head against this wall every time I come over here [to the interview area]."

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

tgrossi@plaind.com, 216-999-4670

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Hmm... DA sounds a little testy.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Thats cause he KNOWS ... as does everyone else .. this is not a COMPETITION ... its a CORRANATION ... Ya .. thats the ticket ... my new phrase for this joke of a comp will be ..

THE CORRANATION ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Where'd I put that foam....

CORONATION

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Well, DUH!

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

He didn't seem that testy to me. *shrugs*

As for split QB duties, I remember when the Dolphins did that with David Woodley and Don Strock... "WoodStrock" was the nickname.

I doubt we'll do that of course.... but it would certainly be a changeup, going form one to the other.

Last edited by lampdogg; 06/05/09 10:53 AM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Well, he might just be testy because the press keeps asking them the same questions over and over and there really isn't going to be a change in the answer.

Day 1:
Press: What do you think about the QB competition?
DA: We're just going to try to work our hardest. The most important thing is putting this team in a position to win.

Day 5: What do you think about the QB competition?
DA: We're just trying to work our hardest. The most important thing is putting this team in a position to win.

Day 10: What do you think about the QB competition?
DA: I think I'm going to be sitting and Brady will start. I suck. You are all right. We'll go 0-16 this year. Mangini will be fired because he's a total jerk.

You really think something like that's going to happen?

I'd be testy, too, if I was DA and just got the same question over and over when it's obvious the answer isn't going to change.

That's not beating a dead horse.

That's fatally and mortally beating a dead decomposing dead horse to death until it is dead.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
N
Legend
Legend
N
maybe we'll put them on the field together and they can lateral the ball back and forth depending on if a deep or short WR is open while making it more difficult for the pass rush to key in on either one

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Mangini is calling the plays?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Didn't you hear? Mangini is a control freak and a Napoleon and he'll be the downfall of the universe.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

no, noone actually is calling the plays. the reason the QBs are struggling in mini-camp right now is because they are installing a super-audible package that will require the offense to run any one of 256 plays as designated by an eight digit number that the QB calls at the LOS. The QB will have to determine the exact play that targets the weakness of the defensive set and the players execute it.

obviously, learning it will take some time but once learned, we will be invincible.

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Thats cause he KNOWS ... as does everyone else .. this is not a COMPETITION ... its a CORRANATION ... Ya .. thats the ticket ... my new phrase for this joke of a comp will be ..

THE CORRANATION ...

No....its because for him to play well he has to keep things loose...he has to keep the pressure off...because time after time we have seen when the pressure or expectation to win starts to build too high...he starts to wilt.....I know you are having your fun and you have your guy.....And I know your opinions on the skills of both.....But I disagree with your post here....I don't think he cares what Brady does....I think he cares about what he does. And for him to perform, he knows he has to keep things loose. Thats why he is a little testy with the media which is already trying to create a pressure cooker. He wants to win this comp and for that to happen he has to do what he can to keep the pressure low....

Personally it is this factor that yanks the guy out of my lineup for me...If you have to work to keep the pressure off in June...then you have no shot in January....heck you probably have no shot AT January....lol

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
N
Legend
Legend
N
I think it is the exact opposite....having a competition increases the June pressure.

if you are the starting QB you can relax in just learning the new system and figuring out the different routes and new WRs and such.

if you are competing than you have pressure in that every throw you make is being analyzed and that you want to one-up the other guy at every turn. on the field, in the video room, talking with the coaches over lunch. you want there to be no doubt that you are the guy, so you can never take a minute off from proving it. that adds pressure, it doesn't decrease it.

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I didn't say there wasn't pressure....I said Anderson is trying to deflect the pressure because for him to perform he has to play loose. My comment concerning the media is that they are adding uneeded and unwarranted pressure to the situation when it is too early to do so. But yes there is pressure and he still needs to perform....Which is why he is trying to deflect some of this pressure.

I don't think every pass is being as scrutinized as heavily now as it will be when training camp starts full swing do you??? because #1 The Offense is not yet installed...and #2 much of the sloppines can be as much attributed to the receivers as it is the QB's themselves...Sometimes more to the receivers.... I don't think the give a rats behind to how the passes look....I think they care more about the decisions the QB"s are making and how are they assimilating the Playbook and Offensive Philosophies.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
N
Legend
Legend
N
sorry, i had misread part of your previous post

also, i think the passes and especially the decisions are being heavily scrutinized now....the only difference is that they will completely forgive mistakes that are happening now if they are gone at training camp

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Mangenie will name DA or BQ as the starter. Neither has looked overly sharp. I do believe that DA has squandered incredible number of chances, BQ is still unknown as far as "gameability" for intangible stuff.
SO . . . BQ or DA. Done! Ta freekin' dahhh! I am putting the crystal ball away; probably stole another Grossi 'exclusive" story. My werk here is done.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

Quote:

ITS BQ TIME BABY!!!!!

I don't know....I persoanlly don't think it matters. I like Andersons style better than Quinn's, BUT I don't think either QB is head and shoulders better then the other

Quinn hasn't proived anything. To hand him the job would be unfair IMO

Anderson has made a Pro Bowl and is capable of playing at a high level...but he is inconsistent

So we have an "unproven" Qb which many NFL Scounts say has a questionable Arm

We also have a Pro Bowl QB who is terribly inconsistent, but shows promise. Promise doesn't mean anything if you don't produce.

I personally think we have more questions then answers at QB..to say one is better then the other at this point is dishonest both intelectually and practically.

Anderson has yet to prove he is consistent

Quinn has yet to prove anything. Besides, Quinn was known to choke in big games in college, has he shaken that yet? can he handle the pressure...he sure didn't at Notre Dame.

Not to metion Quinn struggled against Top talent in college and his numbers were padded by teams such as Army, Navy, etc....

Mangini is not a fool, if he likes Anderson better, he will go with him, same goes for Quinn if he likes him better

Mangini was shopping Quinn prior to and during the draft...he is not obligated to Quinn in anyways, and Mangini is not a fool he is like Bellichik...its his way and Quinn or Anderson may or may not be what he wants

I think we need to see this thing playout before jumping to conclusions.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Mangini is not a fool, if he likes Anderson better, he will go with him,

If Jeannie likes DA better than he is a FOOL ... and like u said he is NOT A FOOL .. there is no comp here at all .. the CORANATION will be in full swing in another month .. DA can not carry BQ's jock ...

U can kid yourself all U want ... and make up all the BS U want about BQ .. its the same old story ...

weak arm ... chokes .. padded stats ... all HOGWASH from the UNINFORMED ... not gonna waste my time as i have reffuted it all in detail many many times .. some folks just don't want to accept it ..

tell Loyal and the "witch is dead" i said hi ...

T
Legend
Legend
T
One thing seems to be clear to me.

They want Quinn to be good enough. They desperatly want Quinn to be good enough, ... If Quinn were good enough today, there would be no reason not to say he is the starter. Quinn is the #1 rounder right, Quinn is the Notre Damer right. Quinn is the one with local ties. Quinn is the one with more jersey sales. The fact that Anderson is still in the discussion shows he is clearly the better player on the field . The statement of waiting until late in camp, means the coaches don't think this will change anytime soon.

If Anderson were given half the favortism Quinn has been given he would have been named the starter from the beginning. What you have here is a case of not being capable of admiting that Quinn is a bust.

I'm not saying Quinn's a bust, I'm saying the team, for whatever reason, is moving Heaven and Earth, ... High water, and freezing over... that there is

NO way in God's Green Earth that they will ever admit that Quinn is a bust ... if he is one! And that doesn't do well for a Browns fan!
3 is > 10

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mangini will name Quinn or Anderson as Browns' QB late in preseason

Link Copied to Clipboard