Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
F
I liked this read and thought it should be shared. Also I like what Joe Thomas has to say about practicing in the rain.

web page

BEREA, Ohio -- Under a slate-gray sky and a steady rain, the Cleveland Browns on Thursday went about the business of trying to put back the shattered pieces of the tremendous hope that they had on the very same practice field 12 months earlier.

There's nothing pretty or fun about such a process, just as there was nothing pretty or fun about all that had taken place since the end of last offseason.

Back then, the Browns were the darlings of the NFL. They offered the promise that they were, finally, going to escape from their perpetual malaise. A 10-6 finish in 2007, plus a batch of Pro Bowl performances, gave the distinct notion that, for the first time in a long while, they were about to become relevant.

Browns' offseason moves
It's been an offseason of turnover for the Browns. Here are the additions to the roster since the arrival of new coach Eric Mangini:

Free agents:
LB Eric Barton (from Jets)
LB David Bowens (from Jets)
OT George Foster (from Lions)
WR Mike Furrey (from Lions)
RB Noah Herron (from Bucs)
CB Roderick Hood (from Cardinals)
CB Corey Ivy (from Ravens)
DT C.J. Mosley (from Jets)
WR David Patten (from Saints)
DB Hank Poteat (from Jets)
TE Robert Royal (from Bills)
OT John St. Clair (from Bears)
OT Floyd Womack (from Seahawks)

Trade:
DE Kenyon Coleman (from Jets)
DB Abram Elam (from Jets)
QB Brett Ratliff (from Jets)

Draft:
C Alex Mack
WR Brian Robiskie
WR Mohamed Massaquoi
DE David Veikune
LB Kaluka Maiava
CB Don Carey
CB Coye Francies
RB James Davis

» Free agency: Browns' moves
» 2009 draft: Browns' selections After going 4-12 and firing coach Romeo Crennel and general manager Phil Savage, the Browns are trying to reinvent themselves. They have a new coach, Eric Mangini, who brought a sea of change to the team's culture with an approach that is far more disciplined than that of his ultra-mellow predecessor. They have yet to pick a starting quarterback, who will run a new offense that players are still trying to learn.

One of their most recognizable players, tight end Kellen Winslow, was traded to Tampa Bay. Another, wide receiver Braylon Edwards, came close to being shipped out as well.

What's a little rain on a minicamp workout for a club already flooded by so much change?

"It's a lot of discipline," running back Jamal Lewis said. "It's just finding out who the players are and who's going to come out here and give hard work and effort because neither one knows the other. The coaching staff doesn't know a lot of the players, the players don't know a lot of the coaching staff.

"On the coaching staff part of it, it's all about trying to get the guys on the same page as the coaching staff, and for the players, it's all about just going out there to let the coaches know that you're ready to work and you're ready to buy into what's going on."

It hasn't been the easiest sell for Mangini, whom Browns owner Randy Lerner was quick to present with Mangini's second NFL head-coaching chance after he was fired by the New York Jets at the end of last season.

Mangini runs a highly structured, precise operation that leaves very little room for anything that doesn't have to do with the chore at hand. Other than adhering to NFL rules that prohibit pads to be worn and contact to be made, his offseason practices are no different than those run during the season. Rain isn't going change the routine, even though there's a perfectly dry indoor facility right next to the outdoor fields.

Not all of the players were happy to be getting soaked in June while running on a slippery surface. Offensive tackle Joe Thomas happened to love it, but he was as surprised as anyone that the session wasn't moved inside.

"All the coaches that I've ever had, from college on, if it's raining, we're inside," Thomas said. "That's something that's different for me. Some guys will say it's good, some guys will say it's bad, but it's just different."

So, too, is having members of the Green Berets, the special forces of the United States Army based in Fort Bragg, N.C., assist with the coaching of each position group during minicamp drills. The idea, according to Mangini, was to give his players a chance to learn all that they can from being around an elite group of men in another profession.

"For these (soldiers), the selection process to even be considered to be a Green Beret is intense," Mangini said. "They have to distinguish themselves individually and then, once they get into a group, the intense level of teamwork and communication and focus and things they have to do to function as a unit is incredible. The other great lesson is, no matter how hard you may think our practices are or the things we're asking our players to do, it gives you a sense of perspective of what they're asked to do and what they're asked to sacrifice."

The fact Mangini is a stickler for detail is also something new for incumbent Browns players. They were used to Crennel's more casual style.

Now, they must adjust to the fact that there is nothing too small to escape Mangini's attention.

"Something as trivial as maybe picking your tape up at the end of a practice instead of just throwing it on the field," Thomas said. "The little things are very important to him, and I think that's a lot of times the difference between a good team or an average team and a great team."

Edwards, who was the subject of rampant speculation of a trade that would send him to the New York Giants to replace Plaxico Burress, has never been known for being all that big on discipline. Crennel had a high level of tolerance, but even he had his limits when it came to Edwards' free-wheeling tendencies that sometimes ran counter to team rules. Crennel would occasionally pull the receiver aside to set him straight.

Browns' offseason spotlight
What happened to Braylon Edwards in 2008? More to the point, what can the Browns expect from him in '09? Charley Casserly and Solomon Wilcots offer their takes. More ...

» Fantasy: Is Edwards an elite WR? Surprisingly, Edwards has kept himself on the straight and narrow for Mangini. He has not complained about being on the trading block, choosing instead to take it as a compliment that the Browns wanted more than the Giants were willing to offer in a trade.

"If you allow your personal feelings to interfere, especially in a negative way, it's going to hurt the team and it's going to hurt yourself," Edwards said. "So you really have to approach it from a business standpoint. You have to do your job. Be on time; that's not hard to do. Take notes in meetings. Have a positive attitude."

That hasn't always been easy this offseason. For instance, Mangini sent some shockwaves around the league in the final weekend of May when he arranged for his rookies to take a 20-hour bus ride round trip from Cleveland to Hartford, Conn., to take part in his charity football camp for children from low-income families. The trip was billed as "voluntary," although all 19 Browns rookies made it, presumably because they thought failing to do so might jeopardize their standing with Mangini.

None of those who went on the journey complained publicly, but there were some private complaints from veterans as well as from rookies. The Cleveland Plain-Dealer reported that the NFL Players Association was looking into the matter.

"I was happy to have (that) weekend off," Thomas said with a laugh.

By most accounts, everyone has gotten over the flap and has moved on.

But there are other key unresolved issues, the largest of which is who will start at quarterback: Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson.

Regular media observers say that none of the quarterbacks on the roster, including Brett Ratliff and Richard Bartel, has looked particularly impressive through most of the offseason workouts. However, Quinn did throw some of the better passes of the offseason this week.

Quinn and Anderson have been careful about what they say to the media about the competition. They've been down this road before and seem extra cautious not to do anything that might not play well with the new coach.

"It's an opportunity to go out and win or lose the job," Anderson said.

That could apply to many incumbent Browns players who are trying to figure out what to do and what not to do to remain on the right side of Mangini.

It isn't easy.

"It's a change and it's tough for different guys," Thomas said. "But I think, overall, guys have taken it pretty well and they're going to adapt pretty well."

"Everybody starts off with a clean slate, I believe," said Edwards. "If somebody tells you something, you believe it for what it's worth until they give you reason to believe otherwise."

Translation: If the Browns start winning, the new regime will continue to have everyone's undivided attention; if they don't, they won't.

And the next head coach is ......
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I love the way they've handled bringing in new bodies. There's been a lot of depth added to this team. Our only significant departures are KW2 & Shaffer and many would argue losing Shaf is a good thing. If one of our new OL can be successful at RT our offense should be decent.

F
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
F
There are two pretty good videos on that link as well. Check them out.

And the next head coach is ......
H
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
H
Quote:

Free agents:
LB Eric Barton (from Jets)
LB David Bowens (from Jets)
OT George Foster (from Lions)
WR Mike Furrey (from Lions)
RB Noah Herron (from Bucs)
CB Roderick Hood (from Cardinals)
CB Corey Ivy (from Ravens)
DT C.J. Mosley (from Jets)
WR David Patten (from Saints)
DB Hank Poteat (from Jets)
TE Robert Royal (from Bills)
OT John St. Clair (from Bears)
OT Floyd Womack (from Seahawks)

Trade:
DE Kenyon Coleman (from Jets)
DB Abram Elam (from Jets)
QB Brett Ratliff (from Jets)

Draft:
C Alex Mack
WR Brian Robiskie
WR Mohamed Massaquoi
DE David Veikune
LB Kaluka Maiava
CB Don Carey
CB Coye Francies
RB James Davis

Wow, this is turnover.
16 players not counting the draft.
much more regonizable than prior years.

Quote:

It hasn't been the easiest sell for Mangini, whom Browns owner Randy Lerner was quick to present with Mangini's second NFL head-coaching chance after he was fired by the New York Jets at the end of last season.

Only with the media, I become more sold with every story they write.

Quote:

Mangini runs a highly structured, precise operation that leaves very little room for anything that doesn't have to do with the chore at hand.

Well , I kinda think we needed this to happen.

Quote:

Not all of the players were happy to be getting soaked in June while running on a slippery surface.

Which ones might that be?
Are we guessing or do we actual quotes from players ?

Quote:

Offensive tackle Joe Thomas happened to love it, but he was as surprised as anyone that the session wasn't moved inside.

Then back the statement up with a player , that had no problem with it .
Makes the statement of displeasure seem almost true.

Quote:

So, too, is having members of the Green Berets, the special forces of the United States Army based in Fort Bragg, N.C., assist with the coaching of each position group during minicamp drills. The idea, according to Mangini, was to give his players a chance to learn all that they can from being around an elite group of men in another profession.

This is a great move, bring in guys that rely on team work to stay alive , and teach players how important teamwork is.

Quote:

"For these (soldiers), the selection process to even be considered to be a Green Beret is intense," Mangini said. "They have to distinguish themselves individually and then, once they get into a group, the intense level of teamwork and communication and focus and things they have to do to function as a unit is incredible. The other great lesson is, no matter how hard you may think our practices are or the things we're asking our players to do, it gives you a sense of perspective of what they're asked to do and what they're asked to sacrifice."

Says it all.

Quote:

"Something as trivial as maybe picking your tape up at the end of a practice instead of just throwing it on the field," Thomas said. "The little things are very important to him, and I think that's a lot of times the difference between a good team or an average team and a great team."

Take care of the little things and the big things take care of themselves.

Quote:

Edwards said. "So you really have to approach it from a business standpoint. You have to do your job. Be on time; that's not hard to do. Take notes in meetings. Have a positive attitude."

Translation: When the head lunatic says, The lunatics are no longer running the asylum, it means there is no doubt who the head doctor is.

Quote:

That hasn't always been easy this offseason. For instance, Mangini sent some shockwaves around the league in the final weekend of May when he arranged for his rookies to take a 20-hour bus ride round trip from Cleveland to Hartford, Conn., to take part in his charity football camp for children from low-income families. The trip was billed as "voluntary," although all 19 Browns rookies made it, presumably because they thought failing to do so might jeopardize their standing with Mangini.

None of those who went on the journey complained publicly, but there were some private complaints from veterans as well as from rookies. The Cleveland Plain-Dealer reported that the NFL Players Association was looking into the matter.

None complained publicly, but trusted the media to not leak out their names and complained privately.

Quote:

By most accounts, everyone has gotten over the flap and has moved on.

And the media should also.

Quote:

Regular media observers say that none of the quarterbacks on the roster, including Brett Ratliff and Richard Bartel, has looked particularly impressive through most of the offseason workouts. However, Quinn did throw some of the better passes of the offseason this week.

Yawn.

Quote:

Quinn and Anderson have been careful about what they say to the media about the competition. They've been down this road before and seem extra cautious not to do anything that might not play well with the new coach.

Yeah, they might have to take a ten hour bus trip somewhere too.

Quote:

Translation: If the Browns start winning, the new regime will continue to have everyone's undivided attention; if they don't, they won't.

Isn't that how it always works with disipline, see Tom Coughlin.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

"If you allow your personal feelings to interfere, especially in a negative way, it's going to hurt the team and it's going to hurt yourself," Edwards said. "So you really have to approach it from a business standpoint. You have to do your job. Be on time; that's not hard to do. Take notes in meetings. Have a positive attitude."

So why haven't you taken your own advice, Braylon?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I watched this interview with him on the "official" site. At first I was thinking the same thing you are. Then I went back and watched it again. My feelings changed.

I actually was impressed with the way he handled the interview. There was a different feel to the way he was talking. He sounded mature to me, compared to the way he has in the past. This is a contract year for him, I'm sure that has something to do with his attitude, but to me it seemed more sincere.

Last year was hard for him and the fans. The comments he made after the season made it worse. The immaturity of him and some of the fans, like those hassling him and his family. The whole Michigan thing, again by both him and some simple minded fans. And the most important thing, his lack of concentration, IMO that was his problem with the drops. All these things could easily mess up a young man's mind, especially one with an ego like his.
What I saw, or think I saw in that interview, was a guy that was humbled by his actions, and by a new regime that many were convinced would throw him to the curb for his attitude. Mangini, has done the opposite it appears. He saw a guy with talent, and an immatured attitude, and let him know that the past means nothing. I believe, no way to prove it, but it just seems to me, that Mangini pushed the right buttons. Just like the difference with Rogers after he met with him. Their egos were stroked, and the reality of what their talent means to the team and their careers was brought into focus.

I am looking for Edwards to be a beast this year. You can see how he loved the way the rookies are looking up to him. Guys with big egos love that stuff. Maybe he has grown up a little. Maybe the comment that he felt the staff thought he was worth more than the nice offers we had for him, made him feel better about the situation. Either way, to me, the situation looks good.

Many talk bad about Mangini, mostly the press, but just like the drill sergeant that all recruits despise at first because of their disipline and routine, I am starting to believe that once a player sees who the guy is for real, they see that his ways are for a reason. A reason that could benefit them and the team.

It's early, I know, but this is what this team has needed. A direction. Maybe it will prove to be the wrong direction, who knows, but it is a definite plan. And I have to believe that that is what most of us have been looking for since '99.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Nice read,....I really like the attitude that Mangini's bringing to practice, but for some reason this whole "Green Beret" thing seems alittle odd.

I understand the connection to the mindset of a Green Beret and how that can translate to teamwork for a football team, but for the life of me I can't see how they can mesh together on football field.

What does a Green Beret know about football? Are these practices part football and part basic training?......ughh,....where's KW2 when you need him.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Quote:

What does a Green Beret know about football? Are these practices part football and part basic training?......ughh,....where's KW2 when you need him.

They are the cream of their crop, at the same time they are loyal to their team beyond themselves. It's about being your best and serving the other members of your team.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
'Bout damned time our coach actually runs the team instead of the other way around.

Yeah, that's a point at you Savage and You Crennel.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

'Bout damned time our coach actually runs the team instead of the other way around.

Yeah, that's a point at you Savage and You Crennel.

You are right Toad but in to days world leadership by being a disciplinarian is unacceptable. As a society we have become weak!

Just wait till next season, I have heard that for over 40 years!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Your mastery of the obvious is impressive.

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
A new style of studying but it is not test day yet.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Of course, we had a coach like that before Crennel and most of you guys hated him. But please continue your fawning........

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Of course, we had a coach like that before Crennel and most of you guys hated him.

there is one difference that you might be overlooking- Mangini doesn't seem to have favorites. no preferential treatment.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeah, all those Jets he brought over.....no favorites there.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
E
Legend
Legend
E
An on going philosophy of ManG in his camp (considering its been painted all over the place!)

Has been:
COMMUNICATION
TRUST
FINISH

Who better to administer that leadership then a Special Op - Green Beret (or any other special op branch) If football is a sport best to exemplify those characters noted as necessary for team work. Why not, also who on that field would not respect the ULTIMATE sacrifice these MEN make (don't think women are in special op forces yet??? ) and makes the sacrifice of simply hard work pale in comparison and easy to dig deep down and give their all.

Are teams damned if they do not follow this example....no way.

But it sure can't hurt and it does give these patriots a sense of worth and appreciation to teach what team work and leadership is all about!

Crazyotto - Butch was no where consistent with his discipline...horrible example of a disciplinarian coach as it was selective.

As for the Jets brought in...show me one instance where he has shown favoritism - possibly they don't run laps cause they understand the do's and don'ts about ManG's practices. Actually they were brought in here to exemplify and lead by example in their hustle and no-nonsense across the board discipline.

ManG makes BQ run a lap just like he would a UDFA. Just cause the Jets brought in have not earned a punishment does not signify favoritism. No comparison to Butch and ManG as far as the discipline being asked. I have seen nothing but respect from the players regarding it. From Rogers to BE.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

Of course, we had a coach like that before Crennel and most of you guys hated him. But please continue your fawning........

That's because even though Davis was a disciplinarian, he was also an idiot and a pathetic talent evaluator. But if you want to focus on just one aspect, please, enjoy yourself

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Well, I don't know about fawning, but to compare him to Butch is quite a stretch.

I mean, just look at their interviews as a starting point. Mangini is very straight forward and all about the X's and O's. Butch was all about the B and the S.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's because even though Davis was a disciplinarian, he was also an idiot and a pathetic talent evaluator. But if you want to focus on just one aspect, please, enjoy yourself

Yeah, but we don't know if Mangini is an idiot or a pathetic evaluator of talent yet either. I think that's otto's point.

It would be fun to dig up some threads of when RAC was first hired. I bet the optimism was overflowing before he even coached a game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think that 3 seasons as a head coach is a pretty decent basis, and you have to admit a hell of a lot more than we had on any of our previous Expansion Era coaches.

I'm sure there was swooning over RAC and Butch as well. It was also their first stint as NFL head coaches.

We do know that Mangini has had 3 seasons. Two of which were winning and one of which was a playoff berth with a bad team. The other season was 4-12 which was pretty bad, but did include a victory over Pittsburgh I might add.

We know that he's a very smart head coach, has some questionable game day decisions and advocates discipline. We also know that he's capable of putting together a playoff team and that he can put together a functional scheme against some of the NFL's best teams (Titans).

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/k

For all his faults Butch is the only HC to get the Browns to the playoffs in the expansion era. Problem was he scewed the pooch when it comes to the salary cap and the next year we had to purge a ton of solid veterans.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yes, that was my point. Thanks for making it better than I did.

As I said when all of our coaches were first hired..... "How's about we wait until we've played a couple games that mean something before we start pouring the bust for the HOF?"

Now, back to the lovefest......

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think there's a difference between making a bust for a coach and liking what the coach is currently doing.

I don't see anyone here talking about how we're going to win the Super Bowl with this squad, but I think it's fair for people to say how they like the things that Mangini is currently doing.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

I think there's a difference between making a bust for a coach and liking what the coach is currently doing.

I don't see anyone here talking about how we're going to win the Super Bowl with this squad, but I think it's fair for people to say how they like the things that Mangini is currently doing.

I agree ... there's nothing wrong with that. But there is a point that people go beyond that. Statements are made, and we haven't seen this guy in action yet. Yes, we can take something from his JETS days, but for all the good he did, you could point out an equal amount of bad - Vernon Gholston, losing record in 2nd season after going to playoffs first season, missing the playoffs after starting 8-3 ... etc., etc. ...

And this is a different situation with it's own unique set of challenges. Will his style work here? We'll just have to wait and see.

The point is if we are looking chitty on the field on Sundays, all the people singing his praises will be doing a 180 ... let's let him earn some praise first.

E
Legend
Legend
E
" I bet the optimism was overflowing before he even coached a game."

And Butch for that matter.

Difference is - Mangini has coached a game already...48 of them

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Difference is - Mangini has coached a game already...48 of them

Trust me, that point is not lost on me at all. I was very, very opposed to hiring a first time head coach and was thrilled with the Mangini hire. Still am.

I just notice we as a fanbase tend to get a little overexicted. I can't wait til the day where we can rest our laurels on guys that are proven successes year in and year out. I hope Mangini turns into one of those guys.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I understand what you're saying and I agree.

Problem is I think we're debating different topics...

I think the reason people like me are thrilled, besides the fact that it's the offseason and I'd take any morsel of Browns news right now to satisfy my complete addiction, is that we finally did hire someone who has had prior coaching experience which is a first in the expansion era, and we're thrilled about how he is running a disciplined camp.

So I think I am thrilled because:
1. I like what we did to get Mangini.
2. I like what we're doing now with Mangini as head coach.

Based on the lack of sufficient information, I am not thrilled with:
Where we are headed, although I remain hopeful based off of points 1 and 2 above.

So I don't think that we even really differ with the points we're making. You also have to remember that it's the offseason and we're all anxious as hell.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Now, back to the lovefest...

No lovefest here bud, however I do LIKE him so far, but unlike the masses I am willing to give him 2 or 3 years to prove himself. While many people want to crown him or hang him right now

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ain't it funny how everything becomes a love or hate thing. You can't comment on liking the guy's approach, without being accused of crowning him the next best thing.

I've read so many comments by others just expressing that it is refreshing the way he is handling things, only to be twisted into sounding like they are saying he's taking us to the big game.

#gmstrong
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Yeah, but we don't know if Mangini is an idiot or a pathetic evaluator of talent yet either. I think that's otto's point.

No, Otto likes to go off on the sarcastic trips when the examples don't always apply. You don't know Otto the way many of us do *L*

Quote:

It would be fun to dig up some threads of when RAC was first hired. I bet the optimism was overflowing before he even coached a game.

Oh, it was, as is always the case. However, since Otto specifically replied to me, it's easy for me to say that while I was "ok" with the hiring of Crennel, I wasn't enthusiastic about him.

I didn't really mind Crennel for one reason only: His familiarity with the defense that I've always favored, which is the 3-4. Outside of that, there wasn't anything that I really liked about his upside as a coach.

So as we come back full-circle, I hated that Crennel was a wussy who let the team run the team, and love the thought of a coach who lays down the law.

So what does that mean? Nothing more than exactly what it says: It's about damned time that we have a coach who runs the team instead of the other way around.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Brown likes what he sees from Mangini

By Steve Doerschuk
CantonRep.com staff report
Posted Jun 13, 2009 @ 08:11 PM
BEREA —

Once upon a time in Berea, Phil Savage and Eric Mangini squeezed into the kind of offices young underlings live with.

Bill Belichick was their boss. Mangini’s office happened to be just down the hall from Jim Brown’s.

The world has turned quite a bit for Savage, Mangini and Belichick.

Not so much for Brown. He still has an office in Berea, not far from the captain’s chair now commanded by Mangini.

Jim Brown is still Jim Brown. He never stopped being a dynamo from the past with a deep voice in the present.

As things have evolved, many new Browns are ultrasensitive about saying anything that might get them in trouble with Mangini.

Brown isn’t one of them. It was more than brown-nosing when he heaped praise on the new head coach Saturday at the end of minicamp.

“I see a man that runs the show,” Brown said as players left the field. “What you have is a man with a plan, and it’s about football.”

The Savage-Romeo Crennel relationship cracked early on. The expanding canyon between them showed up in last year’s 4-12 finish.

Savage the general manager had more power than Crennel the head coach.

“When you understand the concept of team — and football is a team sport — then you get certain kind of result,” Brown said. “But when you’re allowing individuality to take over your organization ...

“You can’t have one or two guys with more influence than the coach.”

Two guys? Brown declined to use names, but he did answer a question about the difference between the last regime and the new one.

“You’ve got one boss,” Brown said, “and you know who he is. And the boss knows what he’s doing.

“He’s emphasizing intelligence and understanding more than just ‘your job.’ Those are all the things we did with the ’64 team.”

Brown was the biggest name on the 1964 Browns team that beat the Baltimore Colts, 27-0, in the NFL title game that still stands as Cleveland’s last pro sports championship.

Brown said a theme of mutual respect pervaded. Players’ opinions counted with the brass.

“We didn’t make the kind of mistakes you make when you don’t know what you’re doing,” Brown said.

It remains to be seen if Mangini knows how to extract the Browns from a six-year funk. Brown likes that Mangini is bringing in the players he wants, in consort with General Manager George Kokinis, rather than accepting what the GM insists is best.

“Toughness comes from being confident in what you’re doing and having players with that attitude,” Brown said. “So, if Mangini goes and gets the players he wants, you may not understand it, but he understands it.

“I can see it just looking at certain drills.”

Brown loves a tackling drill that simulates full-speed collisions. It promises to produce some of the juicier moments of training camp, when full contact will be allowed.

“A tackling drill exposes you,” Brown said. “That requires a mental toughness you’ve got to deal with.”

Brown has been a top adviser to team owner Randy Lerner in recent years. Savage seemed to feel an uneasy tension as he coexisted with the Hall of Fame running back. It was harder to gauge Crennel’s thoughts about Brown.

Mangini, on the other hand, wasn’t hard to read Saturday. He beamed when asked about Brown.

“I’m a pretty giant fan of Jim Brown,” Mangini said. “When he spoke to the rookies (at a minicamp) ... it was powerful.

“I’ve known him for a while. I’ve respected him forever.”

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
After seeing Jim Brown toe the company line new regime after new regime, his words ring hollow to me anymore.

Though some may take it as blasphemy against Browns doctrine, I believe Jim Brown is more of a detriment to the teams public perception than he is a help. His player evaluations (or at least the ones he's given to the media) have been no better than the average fan, and I can't seem to remember the last time he said something derogitory about anyone within the organization. When he has given an honest opinion, it's been a stupid quote that made more than just himself look bad.

It's a pretty predictable story: Brown is on the payroll so he fawns over the organization and the organization fawns over him. It'd be nice if he actually had the balls to say what he felt and vice-versa.

To me, Jim Brown has almost reached the level of Don Shula in terms of what both men meant to their respective organizations: Fading elder who's coddled more than feared or respected.

I think this organization would be better off without Jim Brown.

EDIT: No, I take that back. I think Jim Brown should always be associated with this team. What I SHOULD have said is that this organization would be better off without Jim Brown as a mouth-piece for the organization. I'm also suspect of what he's said to Lerner over the years, as things haven't gone very well. I'd have expected that if Brown had been giving great advice, that Lerner or someone else would credit Brown for the things he's said. To date, I haven't seen one shred of evidence in that regard.

It's tough hammering on Jim Brown. That's very indictive of where we're at as an organization.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I like it.

It has been a long time since I felt we were on a good track pointed in the proper direction.

We may not get there, but it won't be because we got stalled at the station.

With the proper talent, Mangini's plan and method can take us there.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
"I just notice we as a fanbase tend to get a little overexicted."

Of course...we are after all FANs! As long as our enthusiasm does not turn into disgust if things don't work out as planned. I get as positive as anyone but I know everything will not happen perfectly. What I do like is that it seems as those imperfections happen we are building a team with good depth to overcome them

Some forget that Kokinis actually is good at what he does.

JMHO - oh and I'd like to add many who have seemed pessimistic over the years are showing excitement over our new regime. This to me is another sign we actually are close. But guys like Peen n Diam have always been very cautious in their praising of the teams future season. When they gush about our prospects...I feel the time is near

Last edited by eotab; 06/14/09 11:22 AM.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Obviously, we as fans are going to be excited whenever we see a change in the organization after a very disappointing prior regime. But here's where I see a difference: When we came back, we had Chris Palmer - a first time head coach. After he failed, we hired Butch Davis - a first time NFL head coach. After he failed we hired Romeo Crennel - a first time head coach.

See the pattern? Now we have Mangini, who just spent three years as a head coach and compiled a record of 23-25, just below .500, with a team that wasn't very talented when he took over. He would have made the playoffs this year if not for a late season collapse by future hall of famer, Brett Favre.

Mangini has already proven that he can be an NFL head coach. I don't know about you, but I'd say .500 would be a nice change around here.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I'm just so used to being disappointed. It's easier to hold back a little and be surprised than to go in with high expectations. I really like Mangini a lot, and I have a good feel that maybe we got it right this time. But feelings and actuality are two different things. Plus, I think a little bit of luck is needed as well. Will we get the right mixture of leadership, talent, and luck? Man, I hope so. We are due.

Legend
Legend
our schedule will be a huge help... Kind of like in 2007.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The problem with many many posters having very high expectations and proclaiming that "we're close", is the fact that we're not close and to expect better than .500 is not realistic this year.

Then when we're out the gate at 1-3 people want to burn the stadium down.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I am pleased with about all of Mangini has done. I am glad to see that he has broken out of the casual "popular" coach as pal framework. He seems to have these guys focused. He has shed some problems, confronted some people problems that are attitudinal, and seems to prepare well, and sweat details. More than that, discipline is expected, it is practiced, and it is long overdue IMO. If you have read Lombardi and Brown and others, discipline and desire to win are one in the successful player who will win, the champions. Can't split it, like WB Yeats asking "how can we separate the dancer from the dance." If you fail to focus and prepare, you get horrible seasons like Edwards had. The bad year angered me; the reaction to leading the entire NFL, every other bloody player had fewer drops, and he was casual, and wanted fans listen to his explaining it away. I need him to be better, to arrive, to lead, to achieve. I am done listening to any bilge he can put on paper; catch the ball and score! Period. The you will have something to talk about that I may want to read. Clamp it till then.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

proclaiming that "we're close", is the fact that we're not close and to expect better than .500 is not realistic this year.

why??? ... this team is BETTER than the 07 team ... and the schedule is favorable ... IF we stay HEALTHY .....

look at our teams .. this one is BETTER ... so why is expecting us to compete not realistic??? ..

and personally ... I think we have a better shot of starting 4 - 0 then we do 1 - 3 ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns adjusting to disciplinarian Mangini in offseason of change

Link Copied to Clipboard