Next Thread
Print Thread
#393355 06/29/09 08:10 PM
H
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
H
I'm not sure how much this is in the news, I haven't seen anything about it in a while.

http://www.sco.ca.gov/

State Forced to Issue “IOUs” Without Immediate Budget Fix

State Controller John Chiang announced that he will be forced to issue registered warrants – also known as IOUs – beginning July 2 if immediate budget and cash solutions are not quickly adopted by the Governor and Legislature.

“Next Wednesday we start a fiscal year with a massively unbalanced spending plan and a cash shortfall not seen since the Great Depression,” Chiang said. “The State’s $2.8 billion cash shortage in July grows to $6.5 billion in September, and after that we see a double-digit freefall. Unfortunately, the State’s inability to balance its checkbook will now mean short-changing taxpayers, local governments and small businesses."

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
B
Legend
Legend
B
This is what happens when liberal policy rules.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
A couple of thoughts: first, there, but for the grace of the federal gov't. ability to run a printing press, go we - the U.S.

Secondly: I sure as hell wouldn't want an i.o.u. from a bankrupt state - (or country - the u.s.).

And third: Do you, or anyone, think that this will wake the state up to the point they realize they need to cut spending drastically - not just now, but for centuries to come?

H
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
H
Quote:

A couple of thoughts: first, there, but for the grace of the federal gov't. ability to run a printing press, go we - the U.S.

Secondly: I sure as hell wouldn't want an i.o.u. from a bankrupt state - (or country - the u.s.).

And third: Do you, or anyone, think that this will wake the state up to the point they realize they need to cut spending drastically - not just now, but for centuries to come?

What i've heard is that banks are being pressured to accept them like any other check. One other funny thing is that the banks can't send them to California for payment until october 1st.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
Legend
Legend
The good news is ... Illegal immigrant families are crossing the borders now in droves ... the other way now.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

No.. they still think that they can continue to raise taxes to solve the problem...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

No.. they still think that they can continue to raise taxes to solve the problem...

Yeah, that was my conclusion as well - but it's nice to see at least one other person can see the reality we are facing. California is just test case if you will - and that's not the phrase I want........but........cali and iou's - broaden it out to the u.s. and iou's - and realize china ain't buying it anymore.

And what does our gov't. do? Soend, spend, spend. When the dollar is devalued enough, our gov't. will be in the same spot - printing iou's in the form of dollars.

Oh, wait - we already are doing that. For the time being, it's okay, cause other countries are still buying - but not like the were.

Picture this: that $5000, or $500,000 you have in savings? Yeah, picture it as an I O U - then tell me what you can buy with that.

Don't bother to research it - the answer is nothing.

Sorry folks - I have no faith in this country coming back to even close to what it was. Debt kills a household. And debt kills a gov't. and country.

And you cannot tax your way out of it What this country is doing now is the equivalent of a household paying off one credit card by maxing out another credit card. But when the next month comes and you can't pay that card, you open another credit card.

Debt - it will be the downfall. But at least the stimulus packages are working. And at least we will all have free health care - no one will have to pay for it - so at least we have that going for us. Oh, unless you actually have a job - sucks to be you - cause you'll be paying out the ass for others. But hey, that's democracy, right?

I mean, we live in a country where we are guaranteed, in the constitution, to welfare, free health care, food for everyone - and you don't need to get your ass out of bed to get it - it's a right, right?

When we bleed dry the next level of income earners in higher taxes, we'll just go after more from a smaller group - after all, it's a "right", right?

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

This is what happens when liberal policy rules.

Arnolds a Republican. There's only been 1 Dem in the last 25 years.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

California is just test case if you will - and that's not the phrase I want........but........cali and iou's - broaden it out to the u.s. and iou's - and realize china ain't buying it anymore.

That's how this democracy was conceptualized. Limited federal powers with states able pass their own laws and conduct their own business. States would be de facto test beds for policy and those policies that succeeded greatly would be considered for adoption federally.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Arnolds a Republican. There's only been 1 Dem in the last 25 years.

Arnold's a RINO. More importantly, the state assembly is overwhelmingly democratic.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It is a mess.

The Democratic Legislature won't give up social programs and the republicans won't raise taxes.

It is a stalemate that will end in bankruptcy.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

G
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
G
Here is my simple explanation. The main problem is that regardless of party these politicians crafting our policies get bought by business assoociations and/or special interest groups pursuing their own private or social agenda.

N
Legend
Legend
N
it's amazing how stupid governments can be....it's pretty simple...

save during the good times (to prepare for the bad times)
spend during the bad times (to get back to the good times)

instead our governments budget for the expected increases in $ during the good times, then when the bottom falls out, they don't adjust their budgets and also raise spending claiming they need to because it's the bad times now. it's absolutely ridiculous.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

it's amazing how stupid governments can be....it's pretty simple...

save during the good times (to prepare for the bad times)
spend during the bad times (to get back to the good times)

instead our governments budget for the expected increases in $ during the good times, then when the bottom falls out, they don't adjust their budgets and also raise spending claiming they need to because it's the bad times now. it's absolutely ridiculous.

Exactly..

California's budget in '98-'99 was $75 billion
California's budget in '08-'09 was $136 billion
Heck in '94-'95 it was only at $54 billion

In Gray Davis's term the budget went from $84 billion to $104 billion (+20 billion)
In Arnold's term went from $104 billion to $131 billion. (+27 billion) though Arnold's budget went has high as $138 billion (+34 Billion)

Of course, you can always blame the legislator's but it's hard when the governor can just veto the budget and keep in mind that the legislator in Cali needs a 2/3 vote on the budget which still needs republican help..

http://www.dof.ca.gov/budgeting/budget_faqs/information/documents/CHART-B.pdf

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
Legend
Legend
and just check the news pages.... I've already seen articles of "California - Too Big to Fail?".

Another Federal bailout of gross mismanagement and short-sightedness is just around the corner.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

and just check the news pages.... I've already seen articles of "California - Too Big to Fail?".

Another Federal bailout of gross mismanagement and short-sightedness is just around the corner.

If the vote were up to me I'd say screw them. You're not part of the country anymore. Then see where the hell they'd be, not getting federal money. Heck, we could use a buffer on the west coast.

It's about damn time some, SOME damn gov't agency in this country figures it out - you cannot keep spending like drunken fools and then say "we need more money to help the poor" when the money runs out.

Hell, there is no way I wouldn't be able to balance the budget in cal. No way. Would I upset some people? Damn right I would - and I'd look them in the eye and say "we can't afford your program". Gov't cuts would be the first and most severe.

The governor's pay would be gone. The state congress's pay would be gone. The aides pay would be cut. The pork would be gone. The special favors would be gone. The "politically in" would be out and probably in jail. The illegals would pay for their incarceration or be deported - and it wouldn't take more than a bus run a few times a day to do that.

Having 5 road workers on the job to do 1 persons job? Done. Having layers and layers of gov't. overseeing a program? Gone.

... people off? Oh yeah. Would it work? Oh yeah.

I have to ... my wife off by saying " we can't afford that", why shouldn't the gov't. have to deal with it too?

I'm tired of it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

YEP we can sure trust the government. The cash for clunkers starts tomarrow, yet the government has yet to set up the guideline and rules, and as of 8 pm tonight still has not registured a single dealership, even though a dealership has to be registered to participate in the program

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If the vote were up to me I'd say screw them. You're not part of the country anymore. Then see where the hell they'd be, not getting federal money. Heck, we could use a buffer on the west coast.

California get back about 90 cents on the dollar for the tax money that we send to Washington.

There are those here that would argue that part of the problem is that California has been supporting the rest of the slackers in the USA.

I don't like what has happened here. It is a mess. And I do think that the state is going bankrupt.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

A
Legend
Legend
A
First, it appears the state IS bankrupt.

Second, if Cal gets back 90 cents on the dollar from what they send the feds they should consider themselves lucky.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

California get back about 90 cents on the dollar for the tax money that we send to Washington.

There are those here that would argue that part of the problem is that California has been supporting the rest of the slackers in the USA.

I don't like what has happened here. It is a mess. And I do think that the state is going bankrupt.

They state should just go bankrupt already instead of trying to delay the inevitable because that is the only way to get rid of the horrible state employee benefits contract that is eating up a good chunk of our budget.. because that goes back to what another poster was saying.. they were raising spending in good times thinking that the good times would last forever.. That's why the unions got such good deals because the unions were arguing that the state was having a surplus and that they deserved it and Sacremento fell for it..

Last edited by ~TuX~; 07/01/09 01:00 AM.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Sure it is. California is a liberal state with a big block of electoral votes.

If Tennessee was in the same shape?? LOL..we wouldn't get a dime.

California is a perfect model for where this entire country is headed under liberal leadership.

It will take a little longer to fail than California because California can't print money.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Sure it is. California is a liberal state with a big block of electoral votes.

If Tennessee was in the same shape?? LOL..we wouldn't get a dime.

California is a perfect model for where this entire country is headed under liberal leadership.

It will take a little longer to fail than California because California can't print money.

So Ohio is a liberal state also?

California's problem isn't exactly because of it's liberal programs but its politicians caving into the Public Employee's Union.. The PEU in Cali is too powerful... You go against them, you're out of office because they will throw money at its problems and continue to say kids are being hurt because the school's are not getting enough money, which is really the truth because all the money increase the schools get go to either absurd employee benefits or administration(union members). The problem with California is on the Republicans hands here as well because they went along with it. They had the power to challenge it, but they just went along with it.. California isn't as liberal as people think it is.. it just has poor and weak politicians.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

California isn't as liberal as people think it is.. it just has poor and weak politicians.

I agree 300%.

California shocked me in how conservative the business and people were on little things. My step-brother has to completely hide his arms cuz of his tatoos. I can see why during class, but even when off the clock at teacher's meeting? He has been given awards and high praise as a teacher, but if any administration, other teachers, or principle sees his tatoos he will be let go. And I'm not talking solely when he's on the clock. He's had to dip out of grocery stores before to evade someone. I know cuz I was with him. My father taught out there too and it was the same for a couple of friends of his. So its not an isolated incident. The upper echelon are very conservative and judgemental with the im greater/richer then you attitude and look down on anyone hardworking.

A
Legend
Legend
A
So, if I understand you correctly - you are saying that your step brother is a teacher in Cali, right? I'll assume he's a teacher (since you didn't use the word professor) of a class somewhere between kindergarten and highschool.

And he's not allowed for co workers or administration to see his tatoos or he will be fired? Even if he's at a grocery store?

I'm having a hard time believing that. Perhaps I just misunderstood your post. There is no way a decorated teacher gets canned because he/she has tatoos - unless they are graphic or show nudity - and even then, as long as they are not showing during school time - he ain't getting fired.

What did I miss? You posted it as fact - I must have missed something in your post, and if I did, my bad.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Nope your exactly correct Arch.

He taught middle school in Yucca Valley. My father taught in Redlands and his wife taught in Pomona. When I first heard this I thought they were pulling my leg. But it was true. From what I was told Yucca Valley was the worst of the 3.

Another instance... A friend of mine's wife had a road runner tattoo on her leg from track in college. She worked with the Lakers, suns, and diamond backs doing physical rehab stuff. She felt pressure to get it removed and wouldnt wear shorts or skirts at work. She tried the laser removal thing but it didnt work so good and hurt like hell. Whether something was said directly or indirectly i'm not sure. But you would think that it being California, especially dealing with tats it would be a non-issue.

If you have never been to Cali you should go. The attitude is different, not good or bad different but different, then most other places I have lived. And it's not because most view it as a Dem state. It traditionally is dem. by the youth in terms of votes. But remember this is a state that Reagan was Gov. of and took for the presidency. Arnold (Rep.) governor now, but how hard is it to beat Gary Coleman.

"What you talking about Willis"

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

It is a mess.

The Democratic Legislature won't give up social programs and the republicans won't raise taxes.

It is a stalemate that will end in bankruptcy.

That's a farce because the last budget we had the Republicans went ahead and agreed to raising taxes and had secret backroom meetings to do so..

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

California isn't as liberal as people think it is.. it just has poor and weak politicians.

I agree....but I think the bulk of the people are as well...bunch of pansies out there as far as I am concerned., but that is just my opinion.

It doesn't apply to all.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Nope your exactly correct Arch.

He taught middle school in Yucca Valley. My father taught in Redlands and his wife taught in Pomona. When I first heard this I thought they were pulling my leg. But it was true. From what I was told Yucca Valley was the worst of the 3.

Another instance... A friend of mine's wife had a road runner tattoo on her leg from track in college. She worked with the Lakers, suns, and diamond backs doing physical rehab stuff. She felt pressure to get it removed and wouldnt wear shorts or skirts at work. She tried the laser removal thing but it didnt work so good and hurt like hell. Whether something was said directly or indirectly i'm not sure. But you would think that it being California, especially dealing with tats it would be a non-issue.

If you have never been to Cali you should go. The attitude is different, not good or bad different but different, then most other places I have lived. And it's not because most view it as a Dem state. It traditionally is dem. by the youth in terms of votes. But remember this is a state that Reagan was Gov. of and took for the presidency. Arnold (Rep.) governor now, but how hard is it to beat Gary Coleman.

"What you talking about Willis"

It all seems really odd - what with the public employees union and all - as a teacher, I would guess your step brother is a member. Are you sure he can be fired for having a tatoo? I mean, really, that's discrimination. That wouldn't even fly under the constitution, would it? Unless he has naked ladies tatoo'ed on him, a swear words - something deemed "unfit".

I know a guy - went to school with him actually - that taught in LA - he had many tatoos - well, many to me - 3. He was never worried about them showing.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I agree....but I think the bulk of the people are as well...bunch of pansies out there as far as I am concerned., but that is just my opinion.

Go just about anywhere in the state, and it's pretty much just like everywhere else in the country. The problem is, the most populous locations are also the most liberal, and end up dictating the rules for everyone else. Sacramento, Bay Area, Greater LA.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum California Budget - IOUs

Link Copied to Clipboard