#396243 07/13/09 06:52 PM
1488 Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Mason announces retirement from NFLComment Email Print Share By John Clayton
ESPN.com
Archive
Baltimore Ravens receiver Derrick Mason announced his retirement Monday on the Web site JOCKlife.com, saying he'd "seen it all and done it all."

Mason

Mason was entering the final year of his contract and was scheduled to make $3 million. He had been trying to get a long-term deal from the team during the offseason, but a deal never materialized.

"I have had a tremendous career and I played for two great teams," Mason said on JOCKlife.com. "I had fun. In my career, I have been able to do everything but win a Super Bowl. I've had the opportunity to play on great teams and with great players. After 12 years, I have seen it all and done it all," Mason stated. "Right now, I am content with the decision I am making. All good things come to an end and I am ready to see what else life has to offer.

Fantasy Spin
Derrick Mason's decision to retire could make Mark Clayton (right) a viable No. 3 fantasy receiver and also makes Demetrius Williams an interesting sleeper for the 2009 season. Blog

ESPN.com's revised receiving projections for Ravens:

Mark Clayton: 73 catches, 961 yards, 3 TDs
Demetrius Williams: 50 catches, 840 yards, 2 TDs
L.J. Smith: 47 catches, 405 yards, 2 TDs
Todd Heap: 16 catches, 181 yards, 2 TDs

• Walker: Ravens left with void

"I have been thinking about this since [the] season ended. Emotionally I am just not that enthused. I have not been that enthused to get up and work out ... it was getting to that point. This decision has nothing to do with the contract situation; I have made enough money, more than enough money. Emotionally there are things that are more important. It's time right now. I don't know what's going to happen from here, but it's going to be really nice to see what life has in store for me. What I want people to remember about my NFL career is that I played hard ... played hard in practice and the game. I tried to make everyone better and would do anything to help."

However, Ravens senior vice president of public and community relations Kevin Byrne said, "For any player to retire, he has to send a letter to the NFL stating this. Derrick Mason has not done that."

Mason's retirement is a big blow to the Ravens. Demetrius Williams now would have to move into the starting lineup with Mark Clayton. The Ravens have to replace the loss of an 80-catch, 1,037-yard receiver with Mason's retirement. The Ravens also lose a lot of leadership.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

This is decent news, the ravens just lost a key weapon on offense.

[Linked Image from img.villagephotos.com]
Legend
Legend
I bet this had something to deal with McNair.

The Ravens have no WR now

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

Sucks for Flacco, good for us!

you had a good run Hank.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
He's posturing.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
could be.

my first thought was negotiation tactic to get the raise he wanted.

L
Legend
Legend
L
could be... but if so he's going to a lot of trouble, after that big "retirement" statement.
But you could be right, & it wouldn't shock me if he is posturing.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
There's a way to stop that crap -- if you yell "retired,.." -- you're OUT.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Tell Favre that..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
Legend
Legend
Mason is a pretty good WR.. hate to see him leave the league..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Tell Favre that..

I guess that's my point,....

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Best wishes to him. The guy was a pro's pro at the wideout position. I could easily see him as a wide receiver coach someday if he wants to stay connected to the game. I think he'd be a good one.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Good - he was one good WR that always scared the bajeebaz out of me when he played us.

Hope he has a successful Retirement

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Keep an eye on whether or not he sends his retirement papers to the league office. If he does that, he's serious. If he doesn't, it's very easy to say "Whoops, sorry, had a migrane, I'm back!"

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
He conveniently waited until FA period and the draft was over. He put the Ravens behind the 8-ball. I think he is just posturing for a 3 or 4-year deal.

We will wait and see but I'm not sad if he's retiring, that is a win for us and a loss for the Ravens.

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If he is gone, I am always pleased to see a divisional rival have some problems.
yay!

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Mason always was an undervalued player. Solid, hard nosed player. On a fantasy football sidenote, he was a great pick- always there in a later round.

If he is posturing for a new contract, good for him- maybe he can get one last solid payday. I think he is probably hanging it up though- i wonder how much of a factor the McNair thing had on his decision?

It does leave the ravens in a bind though- gotta like that.

1488 Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Ravens take wait-and-see approachComment Email Print Share By James Walker
ESPN.com
Archive
Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh said in a conference call Wednesday that he plans to meet with top receiver Derrick Mason soon.

The subject undoubtedly will revolve around Mason's sudden retirement earlier this week, and whether there's a chance he will change his mind before the start of the 2009 season.

The Ravens were caught off guard Monday when Mason, who led the team in receptions and yards in 2008, told jocklife.com that he was calling it quits after 12 seasons. Mason had been rehabbing his shoulder this offseason and was in Baltimore as recently as Monday.

AFC North blog

ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Mason cited the passing of longtime friend and former teammate Steve McNair as a major reason he is leaving the game and recently told ESPN that he is "99 percent" sure of his decision. Baltimore is still taking a wait-and-see approach until Mason meets with team officials and files the official paperwork.

"We have an appointment to talk real soon, either by phone or when I get back next week," Harbaugh said. "So it will be interesting to see where he is at with everything. I know he's going through a lot in the last couple weeks with Steve's situation and those kinds of things. But I'm looking forward to talking to him."

The Ravens have been in the process of examining what's available in the free-agent market at receiver. Veterans such as Marvin Harrison, Matt Jones and Amani Toomer are some of the established names still looking for work.

Right now the Ravens are thin at the position, as Mark Clayton is one of the few receivers with starting experience on the roster. Baltimore is hoping to get the issue resolved before the team opens training camp on July 28.

"Whatever he does, I stand behind him 100 percent," said Ravens defensive end/linebacker Terrell Suggs, who signed a six-year, $63 million extension Wednesday. "I would love to have him for another year, but only Derrick Mason knows what's good for him."

James Walker covers the AFC North for ESPN.com

[Linked Image from img.villagephotos.com]
Legend
Legend
He's retiring,...."Rrriiigggghhhhtttttttt,..."

This is nothing but a big showboat ploy.

I hope he sticks around,...I want to win by being the best. He provides good competition.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

He's retiring,...."Rrriiigggghhhhtttttttt,..."

This is nothing but a big showboat ploy.

I hope he sticks around,...I want to win by being the best. He provides good competition.

His close friend was just shot and killed. A man who he spent the majority of his career with on two different teams.

I do not know about you, but I would not call this move a showboat ploy. I would be devastated and combined with his shoulder issues, age, and contract situation....he could have decided he has just had enough.

He is one player I will not fault in any way shape or form if he changes his mind.

Here's a quote from him on McNair:

Derrick Mason, with whom McNair also played in Tennessee"

"Steve was such a happy person. I even called him 'Smile.' He was always smiling and was always willing to lend a hand to anyone who needed it. I’ve known him for 13 years, and he was the most selfless, happiest and friendliest person I have known. His family and my family are close, and it is a blow to us all. It is a devastating day. Steve will always have a place in my heart. My family and I are hurting for his family. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

"On the field, there isn’t player that was as tough as him, especially at the quarterback position. What I have seen him play through on the field, and what he dealt with during the week to get ready for a game, I have never known a better teammate."

http://content.usatoday.com/topics/post/People/Athletes/NFL/Derrick+Mason/68493521.blog/1

#gmstrong
J
Legend
Legend
J
My first thought when I saw his announcement was to wonder if the McNair murder had anything to do with his state of mind and decision making.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agreed, it could be just as simple as seeing that life is short and moving on to enjoy life

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Maybe he wanted one last chance to work with Brett Favre; positioning himself to be available. Lousy fer the Ratburdz, but good for us. Take Heap with ya, big fella!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Bard Dawg #396265 08/01/09 01:53 PM
Legend
Legend
Ravens | Mason to end retirement
Comment (0) Tweet me!
Sat, 01 Aug 2009 10:42:38 -0700

Jamison Hensley, of The Baltimore Sun, reports retired WR Derrick Mason will end his retirement and return to the Baltimore Ravens. Mason met with head coach John Harbaugh and general manager Ozzie Newsome Saturday, Aug. 1.

www.KFFL.com

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Ravens | Mason to end retirement
Comment (0) Tweet me!
Sat, 01 Aug 2009 10:42:38 -0700

Jamison Hensley, of The Baltimore Sun, reports retired WR Derrick Mason will end his retirement and return to the Baltimore Ravens. Mason met with head coach John Harbaugh and general manager Ozzie Newsome Saturday, Aug. 1.

www.KFFL.com

While I'm happy for the guy, I'm kind of dissapointed. Can't we get a break?

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Get pressure on Flacco (or any QB for that matter), and who their WRs are is of greatly diminished importance.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
a little more from SI.com

Retired no more, Mason savors return with Ravens

WESTMINSTER, Md. (AP) -- Derrick Mason was looking around for a marching band to mark his much-anticipated return to the Baltimore Ravens.

Back on the field three weeks after announcing his retirement, Mason kiddingly spoke about getting the kind of reception that wide receiver Terrell Owens received upon his arrival with the Buffalo Bills.

"T.O. went to the airport and got a band," Mason said with a smile Sunday morning, after his first training camp practice. "I can't even get the Girl Scouts to come out."

After announcing his retirement July 13, Mason acknowledged that family weighed heavily on his mind, as did the murder of close friend and former teammate Steve McNair.

"It impacted my decision on whether to continue to play or retire," Mason said of McNair's death. "When something like that happens out of the blue, it makes you think about certain things where your life is headed and where your football career is headed.

"But there were a lot of other things that factored. I think all of those things bonded together that brought me to that one decision."

Now the 35-year-old Mason says he's 100 percent committed to the Ravens, as he enters the final year of a five-year, $20 million contract. Mason was seeking an extension during the offseason, but said his contract status had no bearing on his decision to retire.

"When I made it, I was sincere about it," Mason said. "It wasn't a ploy or anything contractual. It was from the heart. ... I don't want that to be a carrot hanging over my head. People are going to say, 'Well, he just came back for the contract.' I didn't get an extension. I'm coming back to play football and try to win a Super Bowl."

Mason led the Ravens with 80 receptions and 1,037 yards receiving last season. His return bolsters a thin, inexperienced depth chart at receiver.

Although Mason is coming off surgery to repair a torn labrum and a damaged scapula, he appeared to be fine Sunday as he caught several passes from Joe Flacco, much to the approval of fans and teammates alike.

"Derrick's been one of the best receivers in the NFL, let alone the Ravens, for many years," tight end Todd Heap said. "So, having him out here brings a huge part to our offense. We can do so many more things with him than we can without him. It's great to have him out here."

Mason insists he won't change his mind about his return, but he won't make a commitment to the team beyond this season.

"I'm just concentrating on this year, to be honest with you," Mason said. "This season is very important to me and this team. I'm not going to look past this season. I'm going to enjoy every day I'm out here. I'm going to enjoy each game that we have, preseason and regular season."

Linky Dink

I had a feeling he might do this... Hate that he is a Raven, but I have a lot of respect for Derrick Mason as a player/person

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Quote:

While I'm happy for the guy, I'm kind of dissapointed. Can't we get a break?

Sure we can! Unfortunately it's usually the bones of our better players.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Maybe he wanted one last chance to work with Brett Favre

Apparently he's already been working with Brett Farve. Retired and unretired in a week ... Brett would be proud.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mason haning up the pads.

Link Copied to Clipboard